Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

It seems there are still plenty of gamers out there, playing NBA 2K11, according to a recent article from Kotaku's Owen Good.

Quote:
At first blush it doesn't seem to stand out: NBA 2K11 cracked the top 20 of most played titles on the Xbox 360 for the week of Jan. 16. But when you peel it back, that's actually quite astonishing, to see an old version of a sports video game resurface more than 15 months after its release.

This is not unprecedented. EA Sports' FIFA series routinely places its two most current editions in the Xbox Live top 20, especially around the time the new version is releasing. (FIFA 11 and FIFA 12 were top 20 from 12's Sept. 27 release to the end of the year.) FIFA's global popularity certainly explains its longevity here. Madden, EA Sports' long-running powerhouse, also does a double-dip in its release window, though it drops off more quickly.

But a look back suggests that when the old version leaves the top 20, it usually doesn't come back. Certainly not after a three-month layoff.

Source - A Puzzling Resurgence in Popularity for NBA 2K11 (Kotaku)

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 videobastard @ 01/27/12 09:42 AM
I traded my nba 2k12 for deus ex human revolution and picked back up nba 2k11 in a buy 2 get 1 free sale. The reason for me is online.

The online association in 2k12 just became frustrating with no admin options and timer rundown. Then there are no lobbies in 2k12 where in 2k11 you could play a non ranked match and have more teams being selected with games being less played like its the end of the world if you dont win.

Single player vs cpu in 2k12 became non existent because of the issues of cpu boosting and holding shots untill the shot clock was about to expire. This is where human vs human became important to me. But the online structure was poorly constructed in 2k12 which lead to me trading it away. I felt a sense of relief when i no longer had the game.

# 22 Gramps91 @ 01/27/12 09:59 AM
2k11 was fantastic and I spent a LOT of time playing it
However, I do like 2k12 better, I've not spent as much time with it, but I have a lot of things in gaming to this year compared to last year. For example, last I pretty much only had 2k11 to play, played a little of of CH2k8
but this year right after 2k12 came out I started playing a bunch of other games right around that same time. Right now I have a 7 game rotation going on, back when 2k11 was new I had like a 3-4 game rotation at the most.
Still like 2k12 a little better though
better camera angles, bigger scoreboard, more variety of legendary teams/players, presentation is better.

# 23 ultralow36 @ 01/27/12 12:20 PM
i had to get nba2k11 back and download mrash33 rosters ....man good time....

# 24 adwin7 @ 01/27/12 12:46 PM
People are playing 2k11 because they never bought 2K12 with there not being a season and all. It's funny how all these people are acting like this is proof positive of 11 being a better game. Non basketball fans / Jordan fans got 11 and had no intention of buying 12 with no season. So when season start they get the itch again and pop in 11. This has little to do with 11 being better(which its not, it's just preference and comfort.)

# 25 Yeah...THAT Guy @ 01/27/12 12:49 PM
I think 2k12 is far better offline than 2k11 was, but online, there's so many stupid things that happen. I find myself yelling at the game half the time I try to play online even when I'm winning lol. My Player was a huge improvement in 2k12 though. I couldn't handle playing more than a few games of it in 2k11, but I'm almost done with my 3rd season in 2k12.

# 26 kennyacid @ 01/27/12 02:04 PM
idk im enjoying 2K12 waaaayyy more then I did 2K11. One- ball D was to easy to play on 2K11 with all that contact and lateral speed. in 2K12 you have to actually work on D on once you get it down pack (like i have) you can do some pretty special things. The offense is even better in 2K12 because of the lack of cheese tactics and just the overall fluidness of how you can run it. I just like the gameplay better as a whole. So many tools is given to you on both side of the ball.

# 27 DJ @ 01/27/12 02:20 PM
Nothing wrong with playing BOTH games, imo. 2K11 I keep in my rotation because of all the excellent Classic Rosters, and 2K12 I use to play NBA Today games with the SimWorld roster and Ronyell's slider set.

# 28 jmik58 @ 01/27/12 03:32 PM
I'm puzzled as to why Kotaku or anyone else is puzzled over the use of 2K11. I'm not much of a basketball fan but I wanted to check out the game that had exceptional reviews. The NBA season was just starting which piqued my interest. I was able to find 2K11 for $16 and some change at Gamestop and it was a no brainer.

For a casual basketball gamer I can't justify paying $60 for a game when the $16 version is just as good. I assume tens of thousands (if not more) are similar to me.

# 29 Dice @ 01/27/12 03:41 PM
So glad I didn't trade in 2K11. Looks like I'll be trading in 2K12 and hope 2K13 will not be as disappointing.

# 30 Darkimpact17 @ 01/27/12 05:09 PM
2k11 is much better glad people are still playing it.

# 31 sars973 @ 01/27/12 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkimpact17
2k11 is much better glad people are still playing it.

I bought 2k11 for $15 used at gamestop a few months ago. I had played it with friends on xbox last year at college, but didn't buy it right away.

I'm glad I bought it when I did, and glad that I didn't get 2k12. My same friend got 2k12, and we played recently at his house. It just feels different overall, in a bad way. It felt to me like the game is trying to do too much all at once, and it feels more disjointed than a basketball game should. I mean with the new post moves and all the new animations, you'd think 2k12 would be way more fluid. But it is just too sluggish and deliberate at times; it just doesn't feel like basketball to me.

But 2k11 is obviously less complex I guess you can say; it feels more fluid and like real playing real ball. And you just can't beat the Jordan challenge. I got back into it today and I absolutely love it.

# 32 iLLosophy @ 01/27/12 09:19 PM
anybody know if the servers are still up for 2k11?

# 33 sars973 @ 01/27/12 09:30 PM
They should be I know they were extending them, as in not shutting them down when 2k12 came out.

I don't play it online, but it still connects when I start up the game, so I assume the servers are up.

# 34 jah.volunteer @ 01/27/12 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Its funny, I've been saying 2k11 was better all year, and it still may edge out this years game in areas....but when I popped it in, I missed 2k12 lol....I didn't realize until now how annoying 2k11s bumping was....

2k12 really did make a lot of improvements that are hard to see because of some glaring flaws...but now that I've found the right settings I really am enjoying it..
What settings are you using?

Are you using custom rosters or 2K's?

# 35 MVP23 @ 01/28/12 10:07 AM
The servers are still up but you cant get no rosters or sliders or anything. They said they are taking them down soon tho which is sad.

# 36 GOBLUE_08 @ 01/28/12 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP23
The servers are still up but you cant get no rosters or sliders or anything. They said they are taking them down soon tho which is sad.
You can still get rosters, i just dl some last night. No sliders or draft classes though.

# 37 ManiacMatt1782 @ 01/29/12 05:00 AM
Nothing "puzzling" about it. The online system in 2k11 is a thousand times better. Put 2k12's post game in 2k11, and add The salary cap and multiple seasons and scouting for rookies, and free agency to the far superior online league system, and most fans of the NBA 2k series would have been happier than a pig in crap. 2k tried to reinvent the wheel with online association, and seeing the general feedback, its pretty much been a failure. It did some things right, but the things it did wrong, it did very wrong.

# 38 Altimus @ 01/29/12 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Court_vision
It was a better game.

First game since NBA Inside Drive and College Hoops that I played a lot and never got frustrated with. Just a great all round game.

2K12 is better in a lot of areas...but fundamental baskeball is not one of them. 2K11 is a Jerry Sloan basketball game.All round very, very solid.

2K12 is a Mike D'Antonio type game. Lots of exciing moments, but way too many "WTF" type low IQ moments.
Haha, great analogy.

# 39 BlackRome @ 01/30/12 07:29 AM
I'll take 2k8 over both of them. But when comparing the two 2k11 is much better. If your looking for online competition. I thought 2k11 was pretty stiff. Until I played 2k12. I was wondering if it wouid rank. I have seen up to 15,000 people online.

Me personally I would pay 60 bucks for online access and roster updates for 2k8. It was the last time you could actually make moves in real time in a 2k basketball game. The lobby was the best. Too bad all the complainers from this site who used to get blasted online and then have someone tell the world in the lobby complained so much they took out the message board.

Nice job guys.

# 40 Paulinho @ 01/30/12 07:41 AM
Sure do miss playing Crew games.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.