Home
MLB 2K12 News Post

2K Sports has posted MLB 2K12 Developer Diary #1, written by Mark Little, Senior Producer of the game. He walks through the additions and changes to the hitting and pitching systems.

Quote:
For MLB 2K12 we completely rewrote the core of our hitting system. We listened to user feedback last year about the high frequency of soft line outs in MLB 2K11, and saw a great opportunity to improve the game. The mechanics of making swings remains the same, but what happens when you swing and make contact is entirely new. A lot of research went into every possible hit type that occurs during the MLB season as well as the frequencies in which each hit type occurs. We rebuilt the system from the ground up to recreate believable and accurate to real world results based on the timing of the swing and where the ball was pitched. The result is a much more accurate representation of hit results than ever before.

Just like real life, your swing timing has a huge impact on where the ball is hit. You can now pull outside pitches by swinging early, but if you want to go to the opposite field, just let the ball get a little deeper into the zone before swinging. What type of hit you get is also based on your timing, but also factors in where the pitch was thrown. If your timing is good you will generally drive the ball hard, but if your timing is bad you will likely chop, ground, foul or fly the ball off the bat. Swinging at low pitches generally creates a few more grounders and lower line drives, while making contact on the pitches up in the zone offers a better chance to drive the ball hard. Where the ball is located doesn’t completely dictate the outcome but it influences the likelihood of the different types of hits.

MLB 2K12 showcases many new types of hits including soft bloopers for singles, line drive home runs and line drives off the wall, high bouncing choppers, slow dribblers, and line drives and deep shots that fade and slice down the line based on the physics of the ball-spin.

Overall, you will notice a much greater variety of hit results in MLB 2K12.

Read the entire MLB 2K12 Developer Diary, right here.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K12 Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 12 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Blzer @ 02/19/12 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Hustle
Why do all the screens in the previews look like they are from a PS2?
Honestly, the unsuspecting answer might be that this could very well be a PS2 screengrab.

... but it isn't, since they haven't rebuilt the visuals for that game since 2K6. This could, however, be from an overcast game, since they lose all shadow detail in those (and night games in past versions).

# 42 Schreck @ 02/20/12 04:19 PM
Maybe I'm not cynical enough, but I really thought it was a decent looking game last year. I haven't played the Show, but based on videos I've seen it is clearly a lot better looking game, but I still think 2K is fine. More important to me is if the game plays well, and by and large I really enjoyed playing it. I got fairly realistic results and was usually challenged. I didn't win every game against the cpu, which was great.

Anyway, the review seemed really encouraging to me, I am looking forward to the game and will probably buy it if it gets good reviews at all. So far the press I've seen seems positive, which is a good start because most sites seem to write this game off each year.

# 43 Trevytrev11 @ 02/20/12 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jim
As for zone or cursor hitting, I kind of get why people want them. But it is pretend skill that replicate hitting at all. I never had to try and aim for the ball past first grade. It has been about form and timing ever since.
I think I understand the point you are trying to make in the sense that the hitters swing location is more instinctual than anything else. See pitch away, swing away. See pitch up high, swing up high. A hitter is not going to swing in the dirt at a pitch over his head.

I get that and to a point, I understand and maybe even agree, but I'll play devils advocate because I do agree that more should be involved.

But can't the same be said for timing as well? Just as a hitters reaction tells him where to swing, it also tells him when to swing.

But....just like a pitcher tries to changes speeds to mess up a hitters timing, he also changes location to throw a hitter off as well. He cuts and sinks the ball in attempt to miss bats and more importantly miss barrels.

Just as hitters swing early and late, they also swing over and under a pitch. They get jammed and they cue balls of the end of the bat. Some times a guy swings and misses on a curve because he is way too far out front and sometimes he just swings over it.

So why let the system automatically control one and not the other?

IMO, it all comes down to how much of the output should be determined by the ratings vs. how much should be determined by the user input. In a perfect world, the games difficulty level would adapt to the users ability and allow the user to control as much of the swing as he wanted and still produce realistic results. That is my perfect world. I play video games because I want to control everything, but at the same time, I still want realistic outcomes. I don't want the game to intentionally try and normalize what I've accomplished in order to get back to normal, but instead it should happen naturally.

And why are there different trains of through between pitching and hitting.

Hitting for the most part is timing only where the games calculations determine the rest.

Pitching on the other hand, is almost entirely up to the user. The location, the speed / effort and effectiveness are all determined by the users input within whatever range the players ratings allow.

If it were comparable to the hitting system, the user would simply select the pitch type and location, press a button and let the players ratings determine the outcome.

As much as I liked the zone (cursor) system that 2K offered a few years ago, it was a bit more than what a hitter goes through to put the bat on the ball, but, IMO, the results were worth it as they were based on the contact you made not that the game decided you should make.

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.