Home
News Post

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 61 econoodle @ 02/22/12 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
The answer is no.

Trust me, a few of us (probably not enough) have clamored that we should have the option to remove it, but as of now, SCEA isn't giving in.

Maybe in 13. Would be nice.
agreed.
its weird that its not an option [to remove it] because SCEa is pretty good, great actually, at giving the user options to tweak the game to his/her liking.

for the record, i vote for option to remove.

# 62 ARoid1313 @ 02/22/12 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedler2k3
Ok, first at all I don’t understand how so many people here on this board, that are “The Show” veterans are so excited about many features that has been in the game since 2006 (PS3) or even before on the PS2, SCEA is NOT doing us a favor, they are selling the game for $59.99 and making a lot of money, so, they better try to improve the game, the game has been the same for years, and this year is not different here is why:

Presentation:
- Same old commentary
- Same stadium announcer
- Same camera angles, same on reply also, same comments
- Almost same overlays for years
- Same display on the screen on what to do, we all know, we have been doing the same for years!
- Same cut scenes, they try to copy the other game by showing the pitcher between pitches, didn’t work

Graphics:
In my honest opinion this game looks exactly the same as 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, very few minor changes, does not mean that looks bad, but the same.

Gameplay:
Havent played the game by myself, I can’t have an opinion but, by the videos, I can see more of the same on every department of the ball game, I really don’t see that ball physics that everyone here is so excited about, I’m still watching several line drives, can someone please show me an example of the “all new” ball physics?

I’m so bored of the same stuff on this game, because I have played every version since 2006 (so I consider myself as a LOYAL customer) that honestly I can’t even finish the videos, by 2 minutes already is like watching the same thing all over again and listening to the same thing all over again, sport video games in general are getting stale, is not only “The Show” but this game as well as the other sport games should be sell by $29.99, rosters updates, season updates and minor changes does not justify $59.99 every year, they should at least include a franchise save continue option from last year game, I don’t know why this hasn’t been done since a baseball season is very long, but in computer software’s when you upgrade to newer versions, you can always update the data, why not in a baseball game? Why don’t transfer all your old data from past years version to the newer version?
Overall, pretty disappointed and not buying this year game, not even renting… this is just my opinion, for all the people that are excited with game good for you! But to me, it is unacceptable that this game has been getting away with the same game for years without getting the critics that deserve for doing it. Best thing that can happens for us baseball video gamers is the same that need to happen for football, no more exclusive licenses, “The Show” is the better option and almost the only option that PS3 owners have, and they know it, that’s why the little improvement. I hope that 2K doesn’t renew their license and we can have more option by next year, and more competition.
good post, lots of valid points

# 63 CMH @ 02/22/12 04:44 PM
Quote:
Ok, first at all I don’t understand how so many people here on this board, that are “The Show” veterans are so excited about many features that has been in the game since 2006 (PS3)...
It sounds like you need a break.

Personally, I only buy the Show once every two-three years.

I'll play every demo to see what new things are offered - I may even rent it to get my baseball fix - but I only buy once every two-three years.

And I do that for this very reason. I try to do the same with other sports titles as well.

I think year-to-year, the improvements feel subtle. For some, that's okay. For others, like you, it's not enough.

Time for a break. Doesn't mean you hate the game. Just means you need a two-year jump to appreciate what's being offered.

# 64 Pared @ 02/22/12 04:45 PM
Quote:
Ok, first at all I don’t understand how so many people here on this board, that are “The Show” veterans are so excited about many features that has been in the game since 2006 (PS3) or even before on the PS2, SCEA is NOT doing us a favor, they are selling the game for $59.99 and making a lot of money, so, they better try to improve the game, the game has been the same for years, and this year is not different here is why:

Presentation:
- Same old commentary
- Same stadium announcer
- Same display on the screen on what to do, we all know, we have been doing the same for years!
- Same cut scenes, they try to copy the other game by showing the pitcher between pitches, didn’t work

Graphics:
In my honest opinion this game looks exactly the same as 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, very few minor changes, does not mean that looks bad, but the same.

Gameplay:
Havent played the game by myself, I can’t have an opinion but, by the videos, I can see more of the same on every department of the ball game, I really don’t see that ball physics that everyone here is so excited about, I’m still watching several line drives, can someone please show me an example of the “all new” ball physics?

I’m so bored of the same stuff on this game, because I have played every version since 2006 (so I consider myself as a LOYAL customer) that honestly I can’t even finish the videos, by 2 minutes already is like watching the same thing all over again and listening to the same thing all over again, sport video games in general are getting stale, is not only “The Show” but this game as well as the other sport games should be sell by $29.99, rosters updates, season updates and minor changes does not justify $59.99 every year, they should at least include a franchise save continue option from last year game, I don’t know why this hasn’t been done since a baseball season is very long, but in computer software’s when you upgrade to newer versions, you can always update the data, why not in a baseball game? Why don’t transfer all your old data from past years version to the newer version?
Overall, pretty disappointed and not buying this year game, not even renting… this is just my opinion, for all the people that are excited with game good for you! But to me, it is unacceptable that this game has been getting away with the same game for years without getting the critics that deserve for doing it. Best thing that can happens for us baseball video gamers is the same that need to happen for football, no more exclusive licenses, “The Show” is the better option and almost the only option that PS3 owners have, and they know it, that’s why the little improvement. I hope that 2K doesn’t renew their license and we can have more option by next year, and more competition.
This is why companies don't release gameplay videos.

You have expectations that can only be seen in certain areas, in certain games and with much time with the game. But you're making a judgement on 15mins of video.

On top of that, you're complaining about things that have been in baseball broadcasts for over 20 years. Same overlays? Really? REALLY? C'mon... you either have no eye for detail or you're intentionally skewing things.

Sadly, it's the same thing every year - there are those excited for the game and those that go out of their way to complain away yet they'll still buy the game. You can see who is in that camp - it's the same select group all the time. Even after they are proven wrong. Don't thiink we don't know who they are - they sit back and like all the super negative posts and pick and choose when to make a comment so they don't get hit for trolling. I feel bad for the group that just wants to get information and make an informed decision.

All ya can do at this point is and let the game speak for itself. If you're still unhappy once you try it, feel free to find an alternative.

# 65 Marino @ 02/22/12 04:49 PM
While I am a commentary junkie, usually after a while, I just listen to music while playing the show. Thankfully the game doesnt require much in the way of sounds compared to some other games.

# 66 AUTiger1 @ 02/22/12 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by econoodle
you mean the legend Vin Scully?
he was in an old show game or two
05 or something.

My main problem beyond the disconnect between the guys, is the fact that its been the same top two guys for ages. So no matter how good they get it, its still gonna feel old.

Kind of the way i feel about John Sterling.
I remember the first time I heard Vin Scully was in the old 989 series of MLB 98. And he was in there for a while and absolutely love listening to him because of all the little stories he tells during the course of a game. I love learning about baseball history while watching a current game.

# 67 CMH @ 02/22/12 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTiger1
I remember the first time I heard Vin Scully was in the old 989 series of MLB 98. And he was in there for a while and absolutely love listening to him because of all the little stories he tells during the course of a game. I love learning about baseball history while watching a current game.
"The deuces are wild."

# 68 econoodle @ 02/22/12 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
"The deuces are wild."
lol

on of the things i love about the show's commentary, see there ARE good things about it, is they have Matt mimic classic HR calls and such.

The one you mentioned for, '2's' across the board.
-santa maria!
-see ya! [michael kay]

not sure if he does bermans backbackbackbackbackback...GONE!

# 69 fiedler2k3 @ 02/22/12 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
This is why companies don't release gameplay videos.

You have expectations that can only be seen in certain areas, in certain games and with much time with the game. But you're making a judgement on 15mins of video.

On top of that, you're complaining about things that have been in baseball broadcasts for over 20 years. Same overlays? Really? REALLY? C'mon... you either have no eye for detail or you're intentionally skewing things.

Sadly, it's the same thing every year - there are those excited for the game and those that go out of their way to complain away yet they'll still buy the game. You can see who is in that camp - it's the same select group all the time. Even after they are proven wrong. Don't thiink we don't know who they are - they sit back and like all the super negative posts and pick and choose when to make a comment so they don't get hit for trolling. I feel bad for the group that just wants to get information and make an informed decision.

All ya can do at this point is and let the game speak for itself. If you're still unhappy once you try it, feel free to find an alternative.
Thank you for your reply and your comment but I completely disagree, not showing videos is like hiding the clear defects of the products, and you are wrong because a lot of games show videos, you should know that, you are a moderator here right? they are has been a lot of sport games in the past that have actually improve one year to the next (including “The Show”) and show videos, I don’t want to mention those on The Show board for respect to SCEA.
Been a member of OS since like 11 years or more and having a “rookie” rating does mean that I come here and post here very little, so I won’t fall in the category that you mention, I just posting my honest opinion on the game based on the video, and based on the video, I know is the same thing that I have played for years, that’s all.

# 70 NDAlum @ 02/22/12 05:06 PM
You don't think it has improved

I do

It's all subjective

Good luck on your 2012 baseball gaming goals

# 71 Joey @ 02/22/12 05:15 PM
I find it hard to believe that someone - anyone - who has played the game for that long can say it hasn't changed that much. And I'm not just talking about you as there are others that have said the same thing? But really? The game looks the same as it did in '08? Really? I don't even have the time to list all the improvements that have been made.

Graphics? New player models, new lighting that makes the game look beautiful, day/night progression, and this one I believe can go in graphics and gameplay both, but hundreds - hundreds - of new animations. New signature batting stances, windups, etc. Is all this lumped into minor changes?

Gameplay? In addition to what I already mentioned, what about all the new features we have? Analog hitting, analog pitching, analog fielding, this year new physics?

Again, I just don't understand it. Anyone that thinks otherwise should back up what they say and get their hands on a copy of '08 and play it, then play '11 and tell me they look and play the same. The insinuation is absolutely ridiculous.

Quote:

Presentation:
- Same old commentary
- Same stadium announcer

Graphics:

Gameplay:

I’m so bored of the same stuff on this game, because I have played every version since 2006 (so I consider myself as a LOYAL customer) that honestly I can’t even finish the videos,

# 72 Haggis @ 02/22/12 05:16 PM
You have to appreciate it for what it is rather than what it isn't. Or not--11 is solid.

# 73 rudyjuly2 @ 02/22/12 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
It sounds like you need a break.

Personally, I only buy the Show once every two-three years.

I'll play every demo to see what new things are offered - I may even rent it to get my baseball fix - but I only buy once every two-three years.

And I do that for this very reason. I try to do the same with other sports titles as well.

I think year-to-year, the improvements feel subtle. For some, that's okay. For others, like you, it's not enough.

Time for a break. Doesn't mean you hate the game. Just means you need a two-year jump to appreciate what's being offered.
I agree with this as sometimes a break is necessary. I've taken the last two years off so I'm looking forward to the Show 12 this year. But new personalities commenting on the game would really help in the Show. I used to love the Show commentary. Same for Nessler and Herbie in NCAA Football. They have been around so long though that I'm just tired of them now. Bring in a new set of announcers.

As for the ball physics I think it's easiest to see them on the balls hit to the corner. I know in part 3 of the Cubs/Cardinals video Holliday hits a rocket into the corner at 4:40 and the spin and curve look improved to me.

# 74 Pared @ 02/22/12 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey
I find it hard to believe that someone - anyone - who has played the game for that long can say it hasn't changed that much. And I'm not just talking about you as there are others that have said the same thing? But really? The game looks the same as it did in '08? Really? I don't even have the time to list all the improvements that have been made.

Graphics? New player models, new lighting that makes the game look beautiful, day/night progression, and this one I believe can go in graphics and gameplay both, but hundreds - hundreds - of new animations. New signature batting stances, windups, etc. Is all this lumped into minor changes?

Gameplay? In addition to what I already mentioned, what about all the new features we have? Analog hitting, analog pitching, analog fielding, this year new physics?

Again, I just don't understand it. Anyone that thinks otherwise should back up what they say and get their hands on a copy of '08 and play it, then play '11 and tell me they look and play the same. The insinuation is absolutely ridiculous.
Good post.

This is what I am talking about Fielder - to act as if it's the same game is silly. For the sake of discussion, what do you expect? Most of what you listed IS there.

# 75 Pared @ 02/22/12 05:46 PM
Don't ruin this thread - keep it on topic.

You have an issue with how the forum is modded you do it via PM.

# 76 24 @ 02/22/12 05:52 PM
Exited that they tweaked the stances, I honestly cannot wait for this to come out. As for the commentary I enjoy the crew in the booth. Very mellow with the occasional burst of energy.

# 77 sbmnky @ 02/22/12 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
As for the ball physics I think it's easiest to see them on the balls hit to the corner. I know in part 3 of the Cubs/Cardinals video Holliday hits a rocket into the corner at 4:40 and the spin and curve look improved to me.
The flight path on foul balls into the stands also do a good job of showing off the ball physics.

# 78 PVarck31 @ 02/22/12 07:17 PM
So much to like here. They really nailed the throwing motions. Ball physics are most definitely improved.

It also looks like the swings have been improved as well.

# 79 Heroesandvillains @ 02/22/12 07:59 PM
These videos are damn marvelous.

The new presentation cuts and the new ball physics are game-changers. These additions, along with the new swing throughs, the new arm throwing actions, the new sounds, the new scene cut transitions, the new stat overlays, the new cap bills, and on and on and on have me more hyped for this release than any iteration of this franchise!

Perhaps I'm an easy one to please, but this hardly resembles '11 to me. It's like watching a REAL broadcast on TV!

My only complaint is how the User/Users playing in these clips were essentially throwing his or her pitches right down broadway! LOL! I understand that nibbling probably doesn't make for an easily digestible first in-depth look, but I would have liked to see how much more (or less) wild the new pitching interfaces are this time around (and how confidence impacts control in general this year).

Anyway, I'm floored. March 6th cannot come quickly enough.

# 80 crains13 @ 02/22/12 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians
These videos are damn marvelous.

The new presentation cuts and the new ball physics are game-changers. These additions, along with the new swing throughs, the new arm throwing actions, the new sounds, the new scene cut transitions, the new stat overlays, the new cap bills, and on and on and on have me more hyped for this release than any iteration of this franchise!

Perhaps I'm an easy one to please, but this hardly resembles '11 to me. It's like watching a REAL broadcast on TV!

My only complaint is how the User/Users playing in these clips were essentially throwing his or her pitches right down broadway! LOL! I understand that nibbling probably doesn't make for an easily digestible first in-depth look, but I would have liked to see how much more (or less) wild the new pitching interfaces are this time around (and how confidence impacts control in general this year).

Anyway, I'm floored. March 6th cannot come quickly enough.
You really think so? I think it is just like watching The Show from 08 or even like 06. Pshh yeah right. I totally agree, its like watching a game on tv. Hope these next 13 days fly by.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.