Home
News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 audbal @ 02/21/12 10:06 PM
Last year after an away batter would strike out and on his way back to the dugout there would be a little skip in the animation, the only stadium it didn't happen in was Wrigley field. I noticed that the little skip is still in there after the cub batters struck out. That should have been fixed.

# 22 jmik58 @ 02/21/12 10:34 PM
Very nice. Too bad on Jay's double that the commentators kept talking through the hit ... it would be nice if the programming logic triggered them to break away and get into the excitement of the player and then come back to their story.

# 23 bermcq @ 02/21/12 11:00 PM
What i noticed what many of you may not of noticed is that the players brim on their hats vary by each player

# 24 Deckster59 @ 02/22/12 11:03 AM
I'm sold. Making my way back to the The Show this year after a three year hiatus to 2K.

Loved the "Overrated" chants when Soriano first came up to the plate.

# 25 stealyerface @ 02/22/12 12:02 PM
The thing I immediately noticed is the scaling between the players on the field, and the actual field they are playing on.

Looks much more scale-proper this year.

These fields are huge, and I think they got the feeling of that this based on the broadcast view.

~syf

# 26 tessl @ 02/22/12 06:01 PM
Am I the only one who is surprised Jay didn't move from second to third on the base hit?

# 27 Russell_SCEA @ 02/22/12 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstl
Am I the only one who is surprised Jay didn't move from second to third on the base hit?

Blame that one on the user with the sticks in his hand.

# 28 Bahnzo @ 02/22/12 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Blame that one on the user with the sticks in his hand.
Not necessarily. You'll note that Jay *immediately* turns and runs back to second when the ball is hit. Instead of freezing or taking just a step back. The user has no control over that move and that's what causes the inability to advance there.

Now, I'll go duck for cover.......

# 29 Russell_SCEA @ 02/22/12 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
Not necessarily. You'll note that Jay *immediately* turns and runs back to second when the ball is hit. Instead of freezing or taking just a step back. The user has no control over that move and that's what causes the inability to advance there.

Now, I'll go duck for cover.......

I was talking about Jay running from second then back to second after his initial slide back into the base.

# 30 AUTiger1 @ 02/22/12 09:42 PM
The Show Motion replay of the double by Jay was breathtaking. The way the ball sliced off the bat down the LF line. Just stunning!

# 31 Bahnzo @ 02/22/12 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
I was talking about Jay running from second then back to second after his initial slide back into the base.
I don't understand how this is user error then? Are we talking about the same thing....Jay on second and Molina hits a hard grounder that just eludes the third baseman. Immediately on contact Jay runs back to second, and then the person controlling tries to advance, but realizes they can't and returns to second.

Around 6:20 of the video.

# 32 thaSLAB @ 02/22/12 10:33 PM
I don't think he would have made it to 3rd on a ball hit that hard to LF, even if he had frozen in the baseline. The reaction towards the base looked natural for a line drive that could have been caught.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

# 33 Pared @ 02/22/12 10:55 PM
1 out - line drive to 3rd baseman that was expected to be caught - runner goes back to second and then the user presses to advance once the ball gets by and he had no chance to get to third so he goes back to second.

There needs to be more of those in between decisions with the baserunning AI, hence why I mentioned last month that I hope they focus on this next year. Still, nothing in the play in terms of logic was incorrect. If the runner freezes and the catch is made, that brings the potential DP considering how far he was from the bag.

The AI is coded to benefit the user when on the bases. If he gets doubled off on a catch you'd be equally as pissed. It's no different than watching a game and screaming at your favorite player for not doing what you would expect him to do.

# 34 Bahnzo @ 02/22/12 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
1 out - line drive to 3rd baseman that was expected to be caught - runner goes back to second and then the user presses to advance once the ball gets by and he had no chance to get to third so he goes back to second.

There needs to be more of those in between decisions with the baserunning AI, hence why I mentioned last month that I hope they focus on this next year. Still, nothing in the play in terms of logic was incorrect. If the runner freezes and the catch is made, that brings the potential DP considering how far he was from the bag.

The AI is coded to benefit the user when on the bases. If he gets doubled off on a catch you'd be equally as pissed. It's no different than watching a game and screaming at your favorite player for not doing what you would expect him to do.
Right. My point is that in real life, that runner probably would've froze on the line drive. If it was caught, he's either doubled or gets back. I wouldn't be pissed if he get's doubled, because that's pretty life like and doesn't happen enough in the game as it is now. The fact was the game immediately returned him to second so it was impossible for either a double play or to advance...both of which would've probably been a more realistic outcome.

I just don't see how something the game did automatically could be blamed on the user.

# 35 Cubfan @ 02/23/12 12:16 AM
Quote:
Right. My point is that in real life, that runner probably would've froze on the line drive. If it was caught, he's either doubled or gets back. I wouldn't be pissed if he get's doubled, because that's pretty life like and doesn't happen enough in the game as it is now. The fact was the game immediately returned him to second so it was impossible for either a double play or to advance...both of which would've probably been a more realistic outcome.

I just don't see how something the game did automatically could be blamed on the user.
I think Russell was saying he was the person playing.

# 36 PsychoBulk @ 02/23/12 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan
I think Russell was saying he was the person playing.
Quite, that was pretty obvious thats what he meant.

I dont see anything wrong in the way the AI "helps" the user myself.

# 37 Pared @ 02/23/12 09:26 AM
Quote:

Others would. They chose the safer approach that benefits the user. Not sure what else is there to say. Again, the user gets doubled up there and people scream "that darn AI is goin cheatin' agin!"

# 38 thaSLAB @ 02/23/12 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoBulk
I dont see anything wrong in the way the AI "helps" the user myself.
Yeah, that gets back into the auto or assist vs. full manual baserunning debate.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

# 39 stealyerface @ 02/23/12 09:51 AM
I got into the habit of immediately squeezing the R-trigger on a fly ball that I was not sure about when guys were on base.

This froze them at their leadoff distance, and would allow me to hit the L-shoulder button on a ball in the gap, and let 'em fly, or would allow me to get them back in time if the ball was caught.

Why wouldn't one take the cpu right out of the mix, and override the decision so that the runners freeze on a linedrive or flyball?

~syf

# 40 MIKEY93 @ 02/23/12 11:37 AM
Wow. This game just took a whole new level. MLB 11 was my first Show game on a PS3, and I can say that MLB 12 made me excited all over again. To be honest, the stat overlays didn't look that good; they were too plain IMO. Now they look smoother and more baseball-video-game-like (maybe like the overlays of previous games). The cut-scenes are a big improvement to add a little spice to the games. & don't forget the new sounds when hitting and catching a ball; that puts a smile to my face for some reason, but it sounds more realistic. I'll definitely be ready for when it comes out. Great job, SCEA team!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.