Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 BaseballT @ 02/22/12 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
Edit:

Watched the video again and the runners never go back.

The runner on 2nd stayed on 2nd to tag up. The runner on 1st, actually runs nearly all the way to 2nd.

I like what the runner on 1st did. Good base running.

My understanding is if you're on 2nd, you always go halfway on a ball hit to left field because you can see the ball. If it's dropped, you can score. If it's caught, you can get back to 2nd. If it's caught deep, you still might have time to tag up at 2nd and go to 3rd. That also depends on the situation. Clearly, that ball was going to be a tough catch so you gotta go halfway on that.

The runner on 2nd should have scored.

Now...there's always the off-hand chance that baserunning ability might have come into play here. I don't know.
I played college ball as a shortstop, and now coach, and the general rule is that yes if the ball is in the air, runners go halfway initially. If your on second, you actually retreat closer to the bag as the outfielder gets closer to the ball. That way if Murphy catches that ball, you are able to quickly tag up and get to third on a ball that normally you would not be able to tag on (ball to left field). I can't see the runner to say that is what happened in the game, and he probably still should have scored, but this is what is supposed to happen in real life. On a separate but related note, my concern is the outfielder's arm strength. I mean, I know Cruz has an absolute cannon, but that throw he makes is impressive by even his standards. It's more prevalent in the Cubs vs Cards vid, where Soriano throws frozen ropes that he is generally incapable of ever throwing. Just my opinion on both areas, though.

# 22 CMH @ 02/22/12 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballT
I played college ball as a shortstop, and now coach, and the general rule is that yes if the ball is in the air, runners go halfway initially. If your on second, you actually retreat closer to the bag as the outfielder gets closer to the ball. That way if Murphy catches that ball, you are able to quickly tag up and get to third on a ball that normally you would not be able to tag on (ball to left field). I can't see the runner to say that is what happened in the game, and he probably still should have scored, but this is what is supposed to happen in real life. On a separate but related note, my concern is the outfielder's arm strength. I mean, I know Cruz has an absolute cannon, but that throw he makes is impressive by even his standards. It's more prevalent in the Cubs vs Cards vid, where Soriano throws frozen ropes that he is generally incapable of ever throwing. Just my opinion on both areas, though.
That makes sense.

You can see the runner from the base runner window. He stays at second to tag up the whole way through.

I'll retract and say he could have scored. Never know. But there is no reason for him to immediately tag up on 2nd once the ball is hit in the air.

Having said that, if this is my biggest complaint in what amounts to about an hour of footage yesterday then this game is amazing.

Sent from my mobile device.

# 23 BaseballT @ 02/22/12 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
That makes sense.

You can see the runner from the base runner window. He stays at second to tag up the whole way through.

I'll retract and say he could have scored. Never know. But there is no reason for him to immediately tag up on 2nd once the ball is hit in the air.

Having said that, if this is my biggest complaint in what amounts to about an hour of footage yesterday then this game is amazing.

Sent from my mobile device.
Yea that's what I was thinking too. It looks fantastic and my biggest issue now is I alhave to wait to play it!

# 24 PsychoBulk @ 02/22/12 10:56 AM
Colby Lewis getting pounded early on...realism at its finest

# 25 thaSLAB @ 02/22/12 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballT
I played college ball as a shortstop, and now coach, and the general rule is that yes if the ball is in the air, runners go halfway initially. If your on second, you actually retreat closer to the bag as the outfielder gets closer to the ball. That way if Murphy catches that ball, you are able to quickly tag up and get to third on a ball that normally you would not be able to tag on (ball to left field). I can't see the runner to say that is what happened in the game, and he probably still should have scored, but this is what is supposed to happen in real life.
You can look at the baserunner box on the right, and they did exactly what you explained. That's pretty much my understanding too... maybe could have scored, but that may be a result (or non-result) of what you mentioned here:

Quote:
On a separate but related note, my concern is the outfielder's arm strength. I mean, I know Cruz has an absolute cannon, but that throw he makes is impressive by even his standards. It's more prevalent in the Cubs vs Cards vid, where Soriano throws frozen ropes that he is generally incapable of ever throwing. Just my opinion on both areas, though.
Yeah, this was one thing that caught my eye too. Cruz has a cannon, but those were 2 lasers that he threw! If it isn't adjusted in the final version, I can definitely see turning that slider down some.

# 26 Knight165 @ 02/22/12 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis
From an AI perspective, what exactly does baserunning ability influence?
It will influence how "smart" a baserunner is on the basepaths.
99 does not make him infallible though....nor does 0 make him constantly make mistakes...

M.K.
Knight165

# 27 CMH @ 02/22/12 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
You can look at the baserunner box on the right, and they did exactly what you explained. That's pretty much my understanding too... maybe could have scored, but that may be a result (or non-result) of what you mentioned here:
edit: Just checked again to confirm I'm not going nuts. The runner on 2nd did not go halfway. He tagged up immediately.

# 28 gator3guy @ 02/22/12 11:37 AM
Quote:
Yeah, this was one thing that caught my eye too. Cruz has a cannon, but those were 2 lasers that he threw! If it isn't adjusted in the final version, I can definitely see turning that slider down some.
I'll never forget, two years ago I was playing a buddy and Cruz threw a one hopper from the right field wall to deny me a run. Cruz released the ball, it went up and out of the camera's sight, and appeared to drop from outer space. Couldn't believe it.

# 29 earp4530 @ 02/22/12 11:49 AM
Idk if you guys know this or not.. but Cruz has a cannon for an arm in real life.

# 30 thaSLAB @ 02/22/12 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by earp4530
Idk if you guys know this or not.. but Cruz has a cannon for an arm in real life.
I "liked" your post, but as a Tigers fan, that is in no way expressing any kind of like for Nelson Cruz! (Nelson f'n Cruz as I found myself calling him last postseason)

# 31 earp4530 @ 02/22/12 12:24 PM
Quote:
I "liked" your post, but as a Tigers fan, that is in no way expressing any kind of like for Nelson Cruz! (Nelson f'n Cruz as I found myself calling him last postseason)
Haha! That was a fun postseason series!

# 32 gator3guy @ 02/22/12 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by earp4530
real life?

# 33 earp4530 @ 02/22/12 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator3guy
real life?
Yes. Not just virtually. But in real life as well. Smartass

# 34 CabreraMVP @ 02/22/12 01:32 PM
You can really feel the big difference in how the ball comes off the bat and how it sounds. Also, I love the new follow throughs for guys like Pujols and Trumbo. Those ugly follow throughs have been my biggest pet peave for years.

# 35 thaSLAB @ 02/22/12 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabreraMVP
You can really feel the big difference in how the ball comes off the bat and how it sounds. Also, I love the new follow throughs for guys like Pujols and Trumbo. Those ugly follow throughs have been my biggest pet peave for years.
Another neat addition that you only get from playing, is you can literally feel the contact in the controller on batted balls this year. In both the dualshock 3 and the PS Move.

# 36 nomo17k @ 02/22/12 01:44 PM
Quote:
Another neat addition that you only get from playing, is you can literally feel the contact in the controller on batted balls this year. In both the dualshock 3 and the PS Move.
How does it go? In practice, you feel less of impact when you hit with the sweet spot, and gets that stingy feel when you miss it. Does it work that way with DS?

# 37 Doormat @ 02/22/12 01:49 PM
Quote:
I know how you feel, but after game 6 of the World Series I fell in love with him.

And not just because I had 50$ on the Cards

# 38 nemesis04 @ 02/22/12 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
edit: Just checked again to confirm I'm not going nuts. The runner on 2nd did not go halfway. He tagged up immediately.
This goes under the same category of outfielders setting themselves up in the exact spot to play bounces off the wall. The CPU knows the potential outcome of the situation because there is a high chance the ball will be caught. That is why he immediately runs to second for the tag up scenario. Without the uncertainty of the CPU built into the system some of these scenarios do not play out correctly all the time.

# 39 Pared @ 02/22/12 03:44 PM
I saw nothing wrong with that outcome, considering he anticipated a catch. Once the ball wasn't caught he was running but not fast enough to advance two bases.

Man on first went half way.

You could have anticipated the drop trying to score, but then you eliminate the oppo to advance regardless of the outcome. Besides, the CF played the ball off the wall (accordingly), got it in quickly and did what the defense was supposed to do.

# 40 kngjames83 @ 02/22/12 03:53 PM
Was a little concerned that nothing about the commentary sounds any different from the previous games. Thought this was the one area that needed some attention. Was impressed with some of the subtle changes, overlays, cut scene animations, Albert Pujols turning completely on that ball hit to left field. These are the things that makes this game a must buy for any sports fan every year.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.