Home
Madden NFL 13 News Post

4 NFL Players Advance to the Semi-Finals
of the Madden NFL 13 Cover Vote Competition

April 11, 2012 – Fans nationwide have been casting their votes to determine the next cover athlete for Madden NFL 13, logging nearly 18 million votes at ESPN.com/MaddenVote since the competition began on March 7. Round 3 of the bracket-style phase of the Madden NFL 13 Cover Vote resulted in upsets such as No. 6 seed Calvin Johnson (WR, Detroit Lions) surpassing No. 2 seed Rob Gronkowski (TE, New England Patriots) and No. 11 seed Patrick Willis (LB, San Francisco 49ers) beating out No. 2 seed Victor Cruz (WR, New York Giants). Fan favorites Cam Newton (QB, Carolina Panthers) and Aaron Rogers (QB, Green Bay Packers) were also selected to advance to the semi-finals.

ROUND 4 BREAKDOWN OF MADDEN NFL 13 COVER VOTE CAMPAIGN
  • Cam Newton vs. Patrick Willis
  • Aaron Rodgers vs. Calvin Johnson
Over the next week, fans will be voting to determine which two candidates will move on to the final round of the Madden NFL 13 Cover Vote, culminating with the unveiling of the Madden NFL 13 cover athlete winner on ESPN's SportsNation on April 25 at 5 p.m. ET.

Round 4 voting is now open and fans can make their selections exclusively at ESPN.com/MaddenVote to determine which of the two NFL players will advance to the final round of the Madden NFL 13 Cover Vote competition. Every Wednesday throughout the campaign, fans can tune in to SportsNation at 5 p.m. ET for analysis and commentary on the competition.

Game: Madden NFL 13Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 77 - View All
Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 mjhyankees @ 04/12/12 10:00 AM
Out of the guys that are left I'm hoping Willis wins it...he's really the best choice IMO....Rodgers should have gotten the cover last year. He had a huge season and a ring. This year he was awesome but when the Giants come into your building and administer one of the biggest @$$ kickings of the season and you get outperformed by Eli to the point where it's not close........well it wreaks of the Pats going 18-0 and losing the superbowl. You have to give props for what was accomplished...but somehow they didn't see it through.

# 22 EAGLESFAN10 @ 04/12/12 11:38 AM
Well u are a gians fan but anyway when I said he was overrated I didnt mean it in a way that u thought I meant I just think he needs 1-2 more years of this kind of production like he had this year

But if u look at sig I says u can HATE ur RIVAL but cant HATE their TALENTS

and about Jackson he had contract issues lol the WHOLE team played terrible despite finishing strong(8-8)

Cruz does have talent dont get me wrong

# 23 bigdoc85 @ 04/12/12 01:20 PM
4.5 Hype Score?

# 24 STLRams @ 04/12/12 01:56 PM
I voted Patrick Willis, wouldn't mind seeing a defensive player on the cover this year Madden.

# 25 DUDERMAN @ 04/13/12 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
This make no sense at all. Victor Cruz being overated?

Honestly this sounds like your a h8er. This was Victor's first year and he put up some very nice numbers. 82 / 1536 / 9TD

The guy runs great routes and is a very difficult one on one cover. He also helps move the chains where some Wr are just hr hitters. LIke you guy Jackson. Even with Jackson being a HR hitter. Jackson only had 4 TD's comparted to Cruz's 9.

Your entitled to your opinion , but calling V.Cruz over rated sounds silly, and if this is the case. Then you have trouble at the WR position, becuase Cruz out performed them both.
This is according to you since your stating Cruz is the most over rated player in the league.
First off, yes, DeSean Jackson is wildly overrated. Second, you can show me the stats all you want and I can show you similar numbers of other players that never could match that one great year.

Cruz is a great inside route runner for the giants. Don't take it that I think it is a bad player, i just feel he has gotten way more credit than he deserves.

I live in Philadelphia, we get most of the Giants games here, so when I'm not watching my Eagles, I'll watch my rival teams (...keep your enemies closer). I saw at least 10 giants games last year. What I saw from Cruz didn't match with what I have to hear about Cruz.

Here's what I saw, a guy that worked his butt off to earn a roster spot and was put in a great position. He was a product of a couple things... A) Eli's major improvement this season, esspecially with ball security. B) he was placed in the slot, replacing Steve Smith and taking over a role that Eli has shown comfort in throwing to over the years. C) The increased attention to the true great receiver that the giants have, Nicks, greatly helped Cruz take advantage in the middle. D) Benefitted from poor defensive play around the league all season. Let me clarify, the big plays he made this year that I saw, the majority were long runs after the catch due to poor tackling or bad angles by the defense.

Now what I have to hear about Cruz is that he is a top 15-20 receiver in the league. That is one of the most "exciting" players to watch. That defenses can't stop him. This is why I define him as overrated.

He is a good player in a system that is perfect for him. That being said, as defensive play is expected to improve this year with a full offseason and the likely additions to the Giants offense through the draft, I would be shocked to see him come close to that production next season.

So you guys can all say I'm a bitter fan or that I don't know football (both of which are far from the case) but when I see that Cruz is a 2 seed and Calvin is a 6 seed in this silly vote, I find it hard to believe he isn't overrated.

[edit] let me throw a different name at you, Laurent Robinson. He played the same role in Dallas that Cruz does in New York. He had 2 more touchdowns in 50 less targets than Cruz. The slot isn't relied upon as much for the Cowboys as it is for the Giants. My point is that these players had similar break-out seasons. One is being hailed as a star, the other has been criticized as being overpayed in Jacksonville before ever playing a snap.

Success leads to players being built up as something they are not. It happened with Jackson and Vick in Philly. It doesn't mean they are bad players, just not quite what the general public perceives. The giants, just coming off a Super Bowl victory, have a number of players that are talked up more than their play. It's to be expected. Again, Cruz is a good, not great, player that will do good things in that offense. Just keep it in perspective.

# 26 DUDERMAN @ 04/13/12 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLESFAN10
and about Jackson he had contract issues lol the WHOLE team played terrible despite finishing strong(8-8)
People put way too much emphasis on numbers. Yea Jackson was distracted last year and we had 3 games without our starting QB. Maclin was going through a cancer scare in the off season and lost significant weight which affected his play.

However numbers can lie in the other direction too. Just looking at the numbers, Jackson had almost a thousand yards receiving thats not bad, right. Well if you watch the games you know it was bad.

I love Jackson and have an autographed jersey from him but he is incredibly overrated and I have no problem admitting that. For every one big play he makes, he leaves 10 more plays on the field. He is unreliable on 3rd downs and in the red zone. He is the same one trick pony that Randy Moss has been but without his size or catching ability

But then again, maybe I'm just a h8r.

Sorry, back to the topic... Let's go Calvin, Willis, Cam, Rodgers! (in that order)

# 27 roadman @ 04/13/12 04:39 PM
Voted for Willis and Megatron.

Go Willis Go.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.