Home
NCAA Football 13 News Post

The crew over at IGN do a nice job of clumping yesterday's information into a short, quick article. They also made a pretty sweet graphic to get all the info out, too.

Quote:
It's always easy to write off an annual sports game by saying -- "It's just the same thing as last year." As always, EA is looking to keep you from uttering that; this time with NCAA Football 13. You already know about what developer Tiburon is bringing to make the game feel more like college football, but now it's time to talk about what NCAA 13 is doing to play more like college football.

Read More - Tweaking the Gameplay of NCAA Football 13 (IGN)

Game: NCAA Football 13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 60 - View All
NCAA Football 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 volwalker @ 04/18/12 02:27 PM
I am an offline Dynasty player. After the second patch I just quit playing due to gameplay frustrations. The two features i care about the most were Coaching Carousel and Custom Playbooks; both which directly relate to Dynasty. Since I quit the game so early I never got a chance to dive into Dynasty Mode and thus play around with those two features.

A question to anyone and everyone: How effective was Coaching Carousel and Custom Playbooks after all of the tune-ups and patches? Also, did they ever fix the rosters where 20 years into your Dyansty there were not 8 qb's on the roster and one position playing another position (qb's playing mlb)? In general, was Dynasty Mode playable after all of the patches and tune-ups? I read on this site how both of those features were flawed but did not know if they were fixed post-patch. Everyone's opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

# 2 BaylorBearBryant @ 04/18/12 03:46 PM
No everything was still so screwed up by the end. They never did fix the tendency bug.

# 3 LucianoJJ @ 04/18/12 03:47 PM

I'm encouraged to see a lot of the right things have been addressed. I think we will still need to see proof that it works in July before we buy back into this.

# 4 TDTGodfather @ 04/18/12 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwalker
I am an offline Dynasty player. After the second patch I just quit playing due to gameplay frustrations. The two features i care about the most were Coaching Carousel and Custom Playbooks; both which directly relate to Dynasty. Since I quit the game so early I never got a chance to dive into Dynasty Mode and thus play around with those two features.

A question to anyone and everyone: How effective was Coaching Carousel and Custom Playbooks after all of the tune-ups and patches? Also, did they ever fix the rosters where 20 years into your Dyansty there were not 8 qb's on the roster and one position playing another position (qb's playing mlb)? In general, was Dynasty Mode playable after all of the patches and tune-ups? I read on this site how both of those features were flawed but did not know if they were fixed post-patch. Everyone's opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
i didn't deal with custom playbooks too much.

but coaching carousel was something i looked fwd to. like really fwd to. it's an absolute great idea in theory. but it didn't translate. basically if you were a good coord you could get a head job anywhere if you waited for that job to open (and it was too easy to get your dream job/alma mater). but if you took a head coach job and wanted to move to another prestigious head coach job it was damn near impossible. look at real life. Meyer went from UF to Ohio state. that would never happen in the game unless you were 6 star at UF and OSU dropped to like a two star.

also i hated the respnses i got from people here who said "well your prestige was too high no one thought they could get you."

which didn't stop a 1 star FAU from offering me their OC job every season!

it made no sense. the logic for offers were way off even after patches imo. i hope they tweak the heck out of this. as coaching carousel has the potential to be one of my favorite features but they didn't get it right and it made me stop playing early and i'm pretty pro EA. i play this game almost year round in the past and i love offline dynasty and to job hop. but b/c of CC, i think i had my fill by october and i bought madden. i usually don't even think about buying madden until xmas time.

# 5 DaSmerg @ 04/18/12 05:45 PM
I really do appreciate the outward appearance that Tiburon and EAS are 'trying'. Increasing the size of the development team and the financial commitment that means to the series is meaningful to this guy at least.

I do enjoy watching and reading about various tangible improvements to on field gameplay elements as well, especially after the first batch of promoted information about NCAA 13 was graphical, stadium and cheerleader stuff. Let's say I'm a bit more relieved to hear about gameplay improvements.

What I still don't see addressed yet that [IMHO] is an extremely serious issue to the NCAA franchise is a commitment to quality. For NCAA 12 to have been released in the state it was is a slap in the face to my commitment [and any and all other's commitment] to support this franchise with my [/our] hard earned bucks.

How about a verbal commitment to releasing a not only on time but quality product that won't be in need of update(s) in order just to play on the box advertised features on release day.

# 6 The_Gaming_Disciple @ 04/18/12 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSmerg
I really do appreciate the outward appearance that Tiburon and EAS are 'trying'. Increasing the size of the development team and the financial commitment that means to the series is meaningful to this guy at least.

I do enjoy watching and reading about various tangible improvements to on field gameplay elements as well, especially after the first batch of promoted information about NCAA 13 was graphical, stadium and cheerleader stuff. Let's say I'm a bit more relieved to hear about gameplay improvements.

What I still don't see addressed yet that [IMHO] is an extremely serious issue to the NCAA franchise is a commitment to quality. For NCAA 12 to have been released in the state it was is a slap in the face to my commitment [and any and all other's commitment] to support this franchise with my [/our] hard earned bucks.

How about a verbal commitment to releasing a not only on time but quality product that won't be in need of update(s) in order just to play on the box advertised features on release day.
Flawless game out of the box...let's see...nope...nope...definitely not going to happen. Most games, with respect to this generation console will have bugs, and glitches. Especially being that, EA is working on an old code, the more language they add, additional problems surface somewhere else. In the webcast Tuesday, Ben specifically addressed this issue. Furthermore, during both of the replays for punt coverage, there was an old glitch of the goal pylon streaking downfield that Ben addressed they had issues with years earlier. The only way to get things moving in the "true" right direction, is to wait, unfortunately, until the next generation consoles emerge and EA takes the time and "FULL" commitment to build a game from scratch, a top to bottom overhaul...EVERYWHERE...STAFF INCLUDED...

# 7 BaylorBearBryant @ 04/18/12 11:31 PM
Communication between the devs and the consumer has been an epic failure up to this point. I imagine it continues down the same path.

The lack of explanation and support post release is a huge problem. I'm waiting a while on this one.

# 8 btemp @ 04/19/12 12:45 AM
Quote:

Just wanted to say that like you, I dropped NCAA 12 b/c of gameplay.

# 9 BlingBling19 @ 04/19/12 12:10 PM
Oh good they addressed blind swats and with the new pass trajectories no more super leaping Lb's. I am also intrigued by the WR's looking for the ball. On paper this looks like it could be the best NCAA game in many many many years.

Obviously though games aren't decided on paper so until gameplay videos come out I will reserve judgement but these additions are welcomed and long overdue.

# 10 jmik58 @ 04/19/12 02:06 PM
So can I get my name in the credits for them finally incorporating Read and React AI??? I've been asking for it for years and explaining how it should be done ... now, the only question is what is the AI Logic they used to incorporate it. For example, what triggers the DB to look back for the ball? Is he reading the receiver like he should in man coverage?

# 11 volwalker @ 04/19/12 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDTGodfather
i didn't deal with custom playbooks too much.

but coaching carousel was something i looked fwd to. like really fwd to. it's an absolute great idea in theory. but it didn't translate. basically if you were a good coord you could get a head job anywhere if you waited for that job to open (and it was too easy to get your dream job/alma mater). but if you took a head coach job and wanted to move to another prestigious head coach job it was damn near impossible. look at real life. Meyer went from UF to Ohio state. that would never happen in the game unless you were 6 star at UF and OSU dropped to like a two star.

also i hated the respnses i got from people here who said "well your prestige was too high no one thought they could get you."

which didn't stop a 1 star FAU from offering me their OC job every season!

it made no sense. the logic for offers were way off even after patches imo. i hope they tweak the heck out of this. as coaching carousel has the potential to be one of my favorite features but they didn't get it right and it made me stop playing early and i'm pretty pro EA. i play this game almost year round in the past and i love offline dynasty and to job hop. but b/c of CC, i think i had my fill by october and i bought madden. i usually don't even think about buying madden until xmas time.
Thanks for the response. Now I won't bother getting the game again. I was hoping that all of the updates and patches would have fixed those problems but to no avail. I guess I will stick to playing NCAA 06 (still the greatest football game I have ever played). It is really sad how in order for me to get any enjoyment out of a football game I have to play one that is 7 years old. Think about that for a second.

# 12 BA2929 @ 04/19/12 03:38 PM
Quote:
Thanks for the response. Now I won't bother getting the game again. I was hoping that all of the updates and patches would have fixed those problems but to no avail. I guess I will stick to playing NCAA 06 (still the greatest football game I have ever played). It is really sad how in order for me to get any enjoyment out of a football game I have to play one that is 7 years old. Think about that for a second.
Wow, one poor opinion and you jump ship. And that opinion was just that he didn't like it because he couldn't jump from a big school to another big school.

Well, here's another opinion on the matter: I thought CC worked well enough last year. Since it was the first year they've ever done something like that, bugs were expected, at least by people like myself who don't expect perfection after one attempt at something so grandiose. I moved from OC at Army to an OC at K-State, then a HC spot at SMU, then to my "dream job" at Kansas, where I stayed for 10 years. It worked well enough for me.

At least give it a rent to see if they've fixed the issues you never confronted first hand. But, I'm assuming you probably just wanted any excuse to not buy the game this year, and that's fine, but the CC wasn't 100% horrible. I'd give it a B or B-. Quite good for a first year try, imo. I thought NCAA 12, despite a few flaws, was the best NCAA games in the past few years. The tendency bug didn't bother me at all, and I finished 15 years in CC and 8 years of coaching one team without CC on.

# 13 volwalker @ 04/19/12 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
Wow, one poor opinion and you jump ship. And that opinion was just that he didn't like it because he couldn't jump from a big school to another big school.

Well, here's another opinion on the matter: I thought CC worked well enough last year. Since it was the first year they've ever done something like that, bugs were expected, at least by people like myself who don't expect perfection after one attempt at something so grandiose. I moved from OC at Army to an OC at K-State, then a HC spot at SMU, then to my "dream job" at Kansas, where I stayed for 10 years. It worked well enough for me.

At least give it a rent to see if they've fixed the issues you never confronted first hand. But, I'm assuming you probably just wanted any excuse to not buy the game this year, and that's fine, but the CC wasn't 100% horrible. I'd give it a B or B-. Quite good for a first year try, imo. I thought NCAA 12, despite a few flaws, was the best NCAA games in the past few years. The tendency bug didn't bother me at all, and I finished 15 years in CC and 8 years of coaching one team without CC on.
Good points. I need to give it a try before I judge it. Regarding the tendency issue, did you check other team rosters several years in your dyansty because you are the only one I have heard not complain about this issue? Also, did you fool with custom playbooks any? Are they fixed? Thanks.

# 14 ecfivester @ 04/20/12 09:03 AM
Quote:
Good points. I need to give it a try before I judge it. Regarding the tendency issue, did you check other team rosters several years in your dyansty because you are the only one I have heard not complain about this issue? Also, did you fool with custom playbooks any? Are they fixed? Thanks.
I have really enjoyed CC for one. My dream job was UF and I played multple online dynasties where I had to wait the first four years to even be considered and a few others where I had to wait 15 years to be considered, due to coaching success of Muschamp at UF. One of those I just signed on as a coordinator to get to the school.
But I never saw the roster issue you speak of with 8 QBs on a roster and some playing LB. If anything I saw teams with 6 to 7 HBs, but they were still at least two deep at most positions. And I never saw a team with less than 6 scholarship quality LBs. I also saw 12 WRs on a team but same as earlier. So I guess what I am getting at is that is that there was at most a tendency to load up at the skill positions (but part of that is due to the recruiting database) but I wouldn't say it affected the build or depth of the roster so much.

# 15 ODogg @ 04/20/12 01:00 PM
For those still saying player tendencies are still broke in NCAA 12, I'm in year 3 of my OD and I've gotten recruits playing now and their tendencies are correct. For example my QB has 86 speed and is a scrambler and that's exactly what it says on the screen. Also, I have a RB who is incredibly highly rated in POWER department and it says POWER RB in the screen.

So IMO it's fixed, unless you guys are talking about something else I'm not understanding here..

# 16 volwalker @ 04/20/12 03:38 PM
The tendency issue I am referring to deals with CPU rosters being messed up several years into a dynasty. CPU rosters would have way too many at one position (7 QBs) or worse players playing at the wrong position such as QB playing at MLB. It all has more to do with the CPU rosters being messed up than your own. I just was not sure if all of that was fixed after all of the patches.

# 17 volwalker @ 04/20/12 03:50 PM
Regarding Coaching Carousel, as long as it takes me longer than one year to go from a coordinator job to my dream job, I will be happy with the feature. One of the few downsides to Dynasty mode in NCAA 06 or basically any other game before CC was introduced was that if you had one good year with a crappy team, Texas and every other team offers you a job. To me that is unrealistic. It should take me several years to get the job I want, not just one; especially if you start out with a non-BCS crappy team. Does that make sense? The other reason why I look forward to CC is the simple idea of becoming a coordinator instead of a coach.

# 18 football0021 @ 04/22/12 10:15 AM
Tweaking gameplay? It needs to be blown up and built from scratch. The current engine has had the same problems for years. You can only mask them so well.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.