Home
Madden NFL 13 News Post

OS' man-in-charge Steve Noah was able to get some hands-on time with Madden 13. Here are his initial impressions on the gameplay information released today.

Read More: Madden NFL 13 Gameplay

Game: Madden NFL 13Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 77 - View All
Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 booker21 @ 04/25/12 02:38 PM
I just hope they make the QB less accurate. With all the new Passing weapons and the missing Physic DB and 25 more pass trajectories and having more time on the pocket. (clint said at the end of the webcast).

I see this being a scoring fest. with all QB being Drew Brees.

# 2 ABR173rd @ 04/25/12 02:39 PM
Pretty much what your getting with NCAA13-
Better Pass Trajectory, Leading Receivers, and no more Physic LB's.

Play action animations have been sped up so no more easy sacks on PA.

The O-line/D-Line interactions have been tuned but I would caution that it is not a complete overhaul according to Clint Oldenberg.

On defense regardless of if your in zone or man coverage if the Offense motions a player a defensive player will follow- nice addition. As well as Defensive assignments actually cover their assignment.

The CB's only make plays on balls they can see and don't jump WR routes anymore.

From what I saw the running animations looks the same, the Icon passing is in the game as well. Hopefully more will be shown with Game play two.

Overall they were nice additions but I want to see all of this stuff implemented before I get back on the hype train.

# 3 CM Hooe @ 04/25/12 02:41 PM
A ton of these new features seem mirrored from this year's NCAA.

This is a good thing, though.

# 4 jmik58 @ 04/25/12 02:53 PM
How is the read-and-react AI being implemented for defenders pre-pass? For example, are the LB's programmed to read the linemen to determine run/pass (like in real life)? Are there going to be instances where a player with lower awareness (or other relevant attributes) won't "read" and/or "react" as well as a player with better ratings?

There is so much potential behind the concept of "read-and-react" ... but all I've heard so far is that players will read the receiver and then turn their head on a pass. That's only about 20% of what read-and-react is in real life.

# 5 cuttingteeth @ 04/25/12 02:57 PM
Both games running the same engine SHOULD mean that we have no problems at all importing rookies from NCAA to Madden. Geez, I hope this is true.

Also, the gameface thing should be cool, but I'd much rather have teambuilder. June 4th can't come soon enough, now.

# 6 ABR173rd @ 04/25/12 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
How is the read-and-react AI being implemented for defenders pre-pass? For example, are the LB's programmed to read the linemen to determine run/pass (like in real life)? Are there going to be instances where a player with lower awareness (or other relevant attributes) won't "read" and/or "react" as well as a player with better ratings?

There is so much potential behind the concept of "read-and-react" ... but all I've heard so far is that players will read the receiver and then turn their head on a pass. That's only about 20% of what read-and-react is in real life.

I asked about this as far as awarness and how it would affect the better CB's from jumping routes (as they do in RL) and really didn't get an answer. TBH it sounds like the dubbed down the Defensive A.I. universally. I hope it isn't the case, but well have to wait and see.

# 7 bcruise @ 04/25/12 03:05 PM
One thing I really like about Madden and NCAA having pretty much the same gameplay feature sets this year (the read and react defense and Passing changes, mostly) is that I'll be able to get a good idea of Madden's gameplay through NCAA on Season Ticket. NCAA is the last title of the program's first year, and even if I don't renew the subscription I'll have a pretty good idea of what to expect in Madden.

It's actually been quite useful, now that the year's almost over - helped me pass on two titles that I may have gotten and been disappointed in otherwise (NHL and FIFA) and got me interested in one that I wouldn't even have considered (Tiger).

# 8 PantherBeast_OS @ 04/25/12 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21
I just hope they make the QB less accurate. With all the new Passing weapons and the missing Physic DB and 25 more pass trajectories and having more time on the pocket. (clint said at the end of the webcast).

I see this being a scoring fest. with all QB being Drew Brees.
So what you see on Sunday, you will see in Madden. Teams last year put up a lot points. But I'm hoping the AI D does challenge me tho. I don't want to just score at will if I'm playing with a QB with a 68 overall rating. I hope ratings finally count now.

# 9 ODogg @ 04/25/12 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer
So what you see on Sunday, you will see in Madden. Teams last year put up a lot points. But I'm hoping the AI D does challenge me tho. I don't want to just score at will if I'm playing with a QB with a 68 overall rating. I hope ratings finally count now.
I have no issue with having scorefest games when the teams are teams that would do so in real life but I want to see a variety of games, some games being 45-41, others being 28-20 and the occasional 13-7 game. You know, like the real NFL.

If every game is the same, regardless if it's a score fest or a low scoring game, then the game becomes very stale.

# 10 PantherBeast_OS @ 04/25/12 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR173rd
I asked about this as far as awarness and how it would affect the better CB's from jumping routes (as they do in RL) and really didn't get an answer. TBH it sounds like the dubbed down the Defensive A.I. universally. I hope it isn't the case, but well have to wait and see.
Man I hope that ain't the case. Because if they did then what is the use of having a D then. I don't want to put up 80 points a game agaist the AI and 19-0 and to the SB every year. I want the AI to challenge me atleast.

# 11 PantherBeast_OS @ 04/25/12 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I have no issue with having scorefest games when the teams are teams that would do so in real life but I want to see a variety of games, some games being 45-41, others being 28-20 and the occasional 13-7 game. You know, like the real NFL.

If every game is the same, regardless if it's a score fest or a low scoring game, then the game becomes very stale.
I agree. But I also want the AI D to challenge me aswell. I don't a QB with a overall 68 putting up hugh points every game and burning the D every play aswell. There needs to be a balance between Offense and Defense gameplay.

# 12 ODogg @ 04/25/12 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer
I agree. But I also want the AI D to challenge me aswell. I don't a QB with a overall 68 putting up hugh points every game and burning the D every play aswell. There needs to be a balance between Offense and Defense gameplay.
Yeah the only time you should be putting up 45 points is when you're Brees or someone like him, not when you're some scrub QB like the Ravens QB or someone...

# 13 realone504 @ 04/25/12 03:36 PM
EVERY BODY WELCOME TO THE HYPE TRAIN........ENJOY THE 5 month ride i like what I'm seeing tho but.I said dat last year so I skipped last year but I might buy it tho

# 14 at23steelers @ 04/25/12 03:40 PM
RedZoneD25: "Very little warping in the build I played and the field seemed a lot more "open". Pretty impressive for early build."

# 15 LBzrule @ 04/25/12 03:44 PM
No combo pass blocking = leaning on not purchasing. Need to see how the slide protection works. If it is still mehh, then I'm probably going to pass on this game, which would suck because this is it for Ray Lewis. I need at least half and qtr slide pass blocking that actually is implemented well.

# 16 green94 @ 04/25/12 03:50 PM
Great job Steve.

# 17 DJ @ 04/25/12 03:54 PM
Glad the controls will be the same in both games. The features are matching up, too, so any chance that Madden will get the Player-Lock option for defense this year?

# 18 carnalnirvana @ 04/25/12 04:05 PM
i loved what i say from the DB's in this madden vid, but i am brought back to reality by the fact THE GAME WAS ON PRO AND IN PRACTICE MODE...

ea has the opportunity to really make franchise play matter if they tie read and react, the icons fading and popping up to a specific rating like awareness or some kind of player vision.

it immediately makes the draft and FA relevant again.

i just dont think they have that type of vision.

# 19 Armor and Sword @ 04/25/12 05:08 PM
Yeah for me at this point it is about OL/DL interactions, planting and weight to the the player movements, and realistic tackling and a truly functional penalty system with a wide variety of IRL calls.

And that is just the gameplay side.

Presentation? Ok I see they are going to overhaul play by play and color. That is a good thing. A really good thing.

I am going to wait a while for both football titles. No question these are not release day purchases.

I hope I see and hear how amazing these titles are from trusted OS members and staff. Then I can dip my foot in the pool, demo the games and judge for myself.

The hype machine has started....but at this point it's all about show me don't tell me to earn my video game dollars.

# 20 LBzrule @ 04/25/12 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
With no improvement to the line interaction and no changes to the ridiculous left stick cutting/zig zagging, none of this really is all that impressive. I mean, it SOUNDS good, but it always sounds good. Sorry to be a negative nancy, but this just doesn't get me excited about purchasing the game. As soon as I read the whole bit on "user catching is more user friendly", I got a little ill. I'm all for user control, but now we are going to make it easier??? It is already too easy for guys to make stupid catches in triple coverage, now we are going to make it easier? It doesn't need to be easier, it needs to be more realistic. A fight for the ball like in real life resulting in incompletions instead of one handed leaping picks, over the shoulder interceptions or leaping catches in quadruple coverage. Like I said a few months ago, business as usual at Tiburon. Great they are adding these things, but why no fixes to the player movement and the line interaction? Put some developers full time on that. The gameplay team was "doubled", right?
To be fair, they did mention at the end of the podcast that the will/have been tweaking OL/DL. It is just for me that is not enough. I will wait to see what the slide protection looks like. If that is still messed up and no. DL stunts are revealed in June I am probably not gonna get the game this year.

« Previous123456789Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.