Home
Madden NFL 13 News Post

OS' man-in-charge Steve Noah was able to get some hands-on time with Madden 13. Here are his initial impressions on the gameplay information released today.

Read More: Madden NFL 13 Gameplay

Game: Madden NFL 13Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 77 - View All
Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 capn_razzamataz @ 04/25/12 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
45min 18 seconds mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt83...e_gdata_player
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
I'm assuming you're looking at 61 and 68 for the 49ers engaging some Vikings DT (can't tell who)? It looks to me like 61 never actually engages him and is just chopping his feet next to him in a ready stance.

# 42 Broncos86 @ 04/26/12 12:01 AM
This will be a Madden that gets a LOT of game play from me. The way my mind works is that I'm seeing some GREAT changes to the game. Everything I want? No. But Madden 13 is telling me that future iterations are going to be even better.

Tiburon, I think, has the right team to take Madden into the next gen of consoles and get it done right.

# 43 SageInfinite @ 04/26/12 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
45min 18 seconds mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt83...e_gdata_player
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Yeah as cap said he's still just standing there. No real engagement or interaction. Still looks like no dynamic line interaction.

# 44 SageInfinite @ 04/26/12 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
This will be a Madden that gets a LOT of game play from me. The way my mind works is that I'm seeing some GREAT changes to the game. Everything I want? No. But Madden 13 is telling me that future iterations are going to be even better.

Tiburon, I think, has the right team to take Madden into the next gen of consoles and get it done right.
Yeah as long as some things can be ported and upgraded, we should be looking at a solid future.

# 45 Skyboxer @ 04/26/12 01:38 AM
Not going to lie... I've been a harsh critic with EA but so far they have my attention. I've seen some really good things and quite frankly I'm starting to get that excitement back...

Here's hoping for a bright future starting with Madden 13

ALso sorry if I missed this somehwere.. Are there going to be any improvements to Online Franchise?

# 46 Hova57 @ 04/26/12 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
With no improvement to the line interaction and no changes to the ridiculous left stick cutting/zig zagging, none of this really is all that impressive. I mean, it SOUNDS good, but it always sounds good. Sorry to be a negative nancy, but this just doesn't get me excited about purchasing the game. As soon as I read the whole bit on "user catching is more user friendly", I got a little ill. I'm all for user control, but now we are going to make it easier??? It is already too easy for guys to make stupid catches in triple coverage, now we are going to make it easier? It doesn't need to be easier, it needs to be more realistic. A fight for the ball like in real life resulting in incompletions instead of one handed leaping picks, over the shoulder interceptions or leaping catches in quadruple coverage. Like I said a few months ago, business as usual at Tiburon. Great they are adding these things, but why no fixes to the player movement and the line interaction? Put some developers full time on that. The gameplay team was "doubled", right?
the big guy said that they are tuning oline/dline toward end of video.
i think that's a little harsh considering its only end of April. we should wait and see. i want to make sure that cbs has all those catch animations too. if they are in position . but its an early build we'll see and if your right you won't buy it.

# 47 Tengo Juego @ 04/26/12 03:24 AM
Quote:

I feel like you could make that 13 a 10, and I'd totally believe this was a post from 2009, circa Ian+Phil becoming leads.

# 48 ABR173rd @ 04/26/12 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengo Juego
I feel like you could make that 13 a 10, and I'd totally believe this was a post from 2009, circa Ian+Phil becoming leads.

Yeah I feel like this is dejavu all over again. There were a ton of people complaining about the past iteration up until the M12 hype trailer released and then everyone's back aboard. Ill wait to get some hands on time with the game before giving EA any kinds of props.

As a couple of posters have already stated, this pre-alpha build excuse will only go so far. I wouldn't expect to see much more of an improvement then what you've been shown already. It's to easy for them to say don't get upset about this or that because remember its a pre-alpha build, only to find out the opposite once you've spent your cash. For anyone that plans on purchasing NCAA I would also use that as a guideline in terms of what you'll see game play wise translated into M13.

# 49 roadman @ 04/26/12 10:58 AM
Quote:
LOL - I always find these kinds of comments a bit humorous. You aren't going to see major changes in the next couple of months. The game release is 4 months from now, but their development phase is just about done. Soon they will be strictly fixing ship stopper bugs and doing their functional verification tests. What you see here is not going to be much, if at all, different from what gets shipped. There will be some tuning, but nothing that will really fix what I pointed out.
Taz,

Just wondering if you've seen this and have any thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34POV...utu.be&t=1m30s

# 50 zanner @ 04/26/12 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengo Juego
LOL, so true. You could interchange any of the dates and post being date-1.

These EA football guys have all of us hook line and sinker, it's such a joke now as I get older in my age

# 51 Ueauvan @ 04/26/12 11:34 AM
i missed the presentation bit and got most of the gameplay stream. however did i miss the super lbs being fixed bit? i saw the psychic dbs being read and react but did i miss lb?

# 52 roadman @ 04/26/12 11:37 AM
Quote:
Hey road,

Yes I saw it. I liked the tackling there. It looks pretty good. I knew there was going to be a change to the collision system. However, the first thing I noticed was the ball carrier who was swerving and zig zagging just like before. Immediately turned me off. I strictly play online and that nonsense ruins the game completely. It tells me they still have it in their minds that they want to create a "fun" arcade game. Breaking 80 yard runs every other play and zig zagging or swerving through the defense is not my idea of realism. So great, we have nice improved collision detection, too bad you can cut at a 90 degree angle with the ball in your hand - amongst other things. Improvements are fine, but they are not enough improvements. The gameplay team was doubled and there is the supposed push for realism. Yet the most basic piece of that in player running is completely absent. That's really sad, especially when games like FIFA actually have it.
Yeah, I agree.

Even the video guy said something about the zig zagging and the foot planting.

The tackling part is somewhat encouraging.

# 53 LionsFanNJ @ 04/26/12 02:07 PM
Quote:

As long as they don't completely start over, unless a full on physics system would force them do do so, then i think the game will be fine going forward.

# 54 Illustrator76 @ 04/26/12 02:26 PM
Quote:
With no improvement to the line interaction and no changes to the ridiculous left stick cutting/zig zagging, none of this really is all that impressive. I mean, it SOUNDS good, but it always sounds good. Sorry to be a negative nancy, but this just doesn't get me excited about purchasing the game. As soon as I read the whole bit on "user catching is more user friendly", I got a little ill. I'm all for user control, but now we are going to make it easier??? It is already too easy for guys to make stupid catches in triple coverage, now we are going to make it easier? It doesn't need to be easier, it needs to be more realistic. A fight for the ball like in real life resulting in incompletions instead of one handed leaping picks, over the shoulder interceptions or leaping catches in quadruple coverage. Like I said a few months ago, business as usual at Tiburon. Great they are adding these things, but why no fixes to the player movement and the line interaction? Put some developers full time on that. The gameplay team was "doubled", right?
Quote:
Hey road,

Yes I saw it. I liked the tackling there. It looks pretty good. I knew there was going to be a change to the collision system. However, the first thing I noticed was the ball carrier who was swerving and zig zagging just like before. Immediately turned me off. I strictly play online and that nonsense ruins the game completely. It tells me they still have it in their minds that they want to create a "fun" arcade game. Breaking 80 yard runs every other play and zig zagging or swerving through the defense is not my idea of realism. So great, we have nice improved collision detection, too bad you can cut at a 90 degree angle with the ball in your hand - amongst other things. Improvements are fine, but they are not enough improvements. The gameplay team was doubled and there is the supposed push for realism. Yet the most basic piece of that in player running is completely absent. That's really sad, especially when games like FIFA actually have it.
I know cats probably think that Taz is being a Debbie Downer, but I agree with everything he said here. I am not at all ignoring the fixes that WERE made in Madden 13, but the unrealistic zig-zag cutting and the ineffective 4-3 Defensive Ends are two major game killers for me, and from what I have seen/heard so far, I just doubt that either one is going to be addressed properly in Madden 13, making it a must NOT buy for me. Again, I will wait for the demo to drop before making my final judgement, but I am just personally not that encouraged from a gameplay perspective at this standpoint. Madden 13 still seems to be lacking too many important gameplay elements for me to stick with it for longer than a few weeks, maybe a month at best.

# 55 raguel @ 04/26/12 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanner
LOL, so true. You could interchange any of the dates and post being date-1.

These EA football guys have all of us hook line and sinker, it's such a joke now as I get older in my age

I can't find the thread, but someone posted a video showing how a previous version of Madden was supposed to eliminate psychic dbs.

I don't hate on those who are skeptical about Madden 13. I suspect by their criticisms we don't disagree on much, except where our red lines are and how much we should expect from EA/Tiburon. I have come to the conclusion I shouldn't expect much, and hoped that at a minimum RBP would be in this year. It looks like it is, plus some other stuff. If it works reasonably well (heh) I'll buy it. I don't anticipate pre ordering, unless there's a good deal.

# 56 Dr_Doom_98 @ 04/26/12 02:52 PM
Let me know when they fix the OLine play when it comes to pass blocking and the running game. In every iteration of Madden the Oline play has flat out sucked. The oline doesn't double team block correctly, not drive blocking, no setting the edge, and no seek and destroy blocking on lineman pulls on runs to the outside.

1.) Double team blocking- One man engages and the other stands there chopping his feet waiting on the engaged lineman to release so he can "suck" him into an animation.

2) Drive Blocking- on plays like the iso and hb blast the offensive line doesn't try to drive forward and put that Dtackle on his heels. They just block like normal. They should look more like the spartans from 300 driving forward with them shields trying to put the dline on its butt. The dline should be trying to get low and go forward but that is another discussion.

3) setting the edge- if the play is off tackle , lets say to the right, the rt should be trying to turn his man to the left and the fb should come and hit the lb on that side and turn him to the right so that the hole on the edge opens up. Not on madden, the rt tackle just reacts to the DE coming at him. Off tackle is not a reactionary play. it is a drive forward and make the defense react to the offense type of play. Also the ability to of the RT, in my play example, to turn that DE to the left should not only be based on rating but also by the DE's assigned path to the qb. if he is crashed inside, then the RT chance of turning him left should go up since he is already heading that way. It should be more difficult if the DE is crashed outside since he is heading into the play's design. This doesn't happen at all in any madden that i have seen. When the off tackle is most successful it is because the OLine holds their man long enough for the play to work not because the "visual" technique is correct.

4)Seek and Destroy. Seen any real football madden devs? when the guard pulls, it is a seek and destroy mission to the outside on plays like the counter. On madden if you run the counter and go into replay, I guarantee that you will see the guard pull, head to the edge and slow up and wait to block someone on the back side instead of getting out to block someone ahead and clean their clock. The best example of this other than giants or gb packers footage (the two teams i think run the best counters ive seen) is from the movie Rudy. When they are on the practice field and Rudy tells the big guard to block him hard instead of treating him with kid gloves. The next play, he shows you how it should be done. when he pulls, he comes and clean Rudy's clock and burries him in the dirt. He comes all the way out around the edge past where the tackle would be to put Rudy on his @55. That is how it should be done in Madden....seek and destroy! Here is an example of what im talking about. Look at the 1:28 mark for the pulling guard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyauOc9_7_I Also at 1:42, 2:05,2:31, and 2:51. That is rucking fidiculous!

When they fix this....let me know.

# 57 PVarck31 @ 04/26/12 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Doom_98
Let me know when they fix the OLine play when it comes to pass blocking and the running game. In every iteration of Madden the Oline play has flat out sucked. The oline doesn't double team block correctly, not drive blocking, no setting the edge, and no seek and destroy blocking on lineman pulls on runs to the outside.

1.) Double team blocking- One man engages and the other stands there chopping his feet waiting on the engaged lineman to release so he can "suck" him into an animation.

2) Drive Blocking- on plays like the iso and hb blast the offensive line doesn't try to drive forward and put that Dtackle on his heels. They just block like normal. They should look more like the spartans from 300 driving forward with them shields trying to put the dline on its butt. The dline should be trying to get low and go forward but that is another discussion.

3) setting the edge- if the play is off tackle , lets say to the right, the rt should be trying to turn his man to the left and the fb should come and hit the lb on that side and turn him to the right so that the hole on the edge opens up. Not on madden, the rt tackle just reacts to the DE coming at him. Off tackle is not a reactionary play. it is a drive forward and make the defense react to the offense type of play. Also the ability to of the RT, in my play example, to turn that DE to the left should not only be based on rating but also by the DE's assigned path to the qb. if he is crashed inside, then the RT chance of turning him left should go up since he is already heading that way. It should be more difficult if the DE is crashed outside since he is heading into the play's design. This doesn't happen at all in any madden that i have seen. When the off tackle is most successful it is because the OLine holds their man long enough for the play to work not because the "visual" technique is correct.

4)Seek and Destroy. Seen any real football madden devs? when the guard pulls, it is a seek and destroy mission to the outside on plays like the counter. On madden if you run the counter and go into replay, I guarantee that you will see the guard pull, head to the edge and slow up and wait to block someone on the back side instead of getting out to block someone ahead and clean their clock. The best example of this other than giants or gb packers footage (the two teams i think run the best counters ive seen) is from the movie Rudy. When they are on the practice field and Rudy tells the big guard to block him hard instead of treating him with kid gloves. The next play, he shows you how it should be done. when he pulls, he comes and clean Rudy's clock and burries him in the dirt. He comes all the way out around the edge past where the tackle would be to put Rudy on his @55. That is how it should be done in Madden....seek and destroy!

I told Siri to remind me to remind you when they fix this.

# 58 Illustrator76 @ 04/26/12 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Doom_98

4)Seek and Destroy. Seen any real football madden devs? when the guard pulls, it is a seek and destroy mission to the outside on plays like the counter. On madden if you run the counter and go into replay, I guarantee that you will see the guard pull, head to the edge and slow up and wait to block someone on the back side instead of getting out to block someone ahead and clean their clock. The best example of this other than giants or gb packers footage (the two teams i think run the best counters ive seen) is from the movie Rudy. When they are on the practice field and Rudy tells the big guard to block him hard instead of treating him with kid gloves. The next play, he shows you how it should be done. when he pulls, he comes and clean Rudy's clock and burries him in the dirt. He comes all the way out around the edge past where the tackle would be to put Rudy on his @55. That is how it should be done in Madden....seek and destroy! Here is an example of what im talking about. Look at the 1:28 mark for the pulling guard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyauOc9_7_I Also at 1:42, 2:05,2:31, and 2:51. That is rucking fidiculous!

Awesome post man. To piggyback off of this, what good is the new Nickel Wide 9 alignment going to do if the Defensive Ends aren't using their speed to fire off the ball and burst upfield AROUND the Offensive Linemen? If the DE's simply look to engage the OL and hand fight at the line of scrimmage, then that alignment is basically worthless. Not to mention that stopping the run with the Wide 9 alignment is already somewhat difficult, but if the LB's and Safeties in Madden 13 aren't programmed to fill their gaps correctly, then you're screwed even more in the run game if someone decides to run the ball out of a passing formation.

# 59 roadman @ 04/26/12 05:12 PM
Taz;

I understand your frustrations and it's a frustration that has been built up over several years.

As far as what they are advertising, it might be not new to football, but it might be new to Madden. If they were advertising gimmicks, this place would have been exploding. So, they are darned if they do and darned if they don't sometimes.

I knew before these playbooks were announced that this years Madden wouldn't be able to please everyone. Yes, I blame the one year sports cycle, but not much we can do about that. If Madden would have announced a new all around physics system plus good foot planting with great animations, there would still be a faction of people who would have complained that they didn't fix pass trajectories and super LB and CB's.

If all this stuff they have advertised, works, (big if) then 13 is just not a incremental advancement of 12, at least not in my eyes, especially, with franchise, audio and game play 2 still unannounced.

I don't think anyone is being Debbie Downer if they are still experiencing the same issues over and over during the last several years. EA needs to know that.

I will say, though, that, again, if everything, works as advertised, there might be some good football games coming from EA from this point forward.

We'll see, though. I was burned by NCAA last year and I wasn't happy with that and the franchise bugs in Madden didn't make me a happy customer, either.

Hopefully, one day, we will all be happy with a football game that EA produces.

# 60 pistonpete @ 04/26/12 06:42 PM
Anybody know if the player lock defensive cam will be in Madden 13? Or have they given any indication as to whether or not there will be more options with the camera in general?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.