Home
NHL 13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

What do you think it will be?

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 ComaFaction @ 05/14/12 07:58 PM
I really hope the physics engine makes large strides this year. Last year was a mis-step, in my opinion. I preferred the body contact in '11 more.

# 22 Vikes1 @ 05/14/12 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
I'm hoping for "stick physics" or "total stick control."
If your meaning that the sticks wouldn't morph through objects any longer Jyoung...man, I'd love to see that too.

I've thought for quite a while that this alone would change the game very dramatically. And for the better.

However...someone here posted and excerpt of a question and answer thingy from the EA boards about this very thing. And the apparent response from an EA rep was a bit discouraging. The rep...if I was understanding things right, gave off the at least impression to me anyway...that this had been tried.[sticks not morphing] and the rep claimed that it lead to a more frustrating brand of gameplay. Due to Users losing control of the puck far too often. Which kinda sounds like the more sloppy type of play many of us are looking for. So...a bummer if it's very possible to have this kind of stick physic, but they've chose not to implement it.

Again...not sure if I was understanding things right. But this was what I got from the Q and A.

# 23 sjp2469 @ 05/14/12 08:52 PM
Hopefully some simple additions like:

1. The ability to line match.
2. Players being kicked out of the face off circle.

# 24 SJYS @ 05/14/12 09:45 PM
I personally hope it's 1)new sakting engine b)new presentation overhaul (commentary, all visuals)

# 25 jyoung @ 05/14/12 09:57 PM
I think you were talking about this thread:

Quote:
Question: Are you planning to look into the "stick through legs/puck through post" non-solid object issue that the game has?

Rammer:This is a great question…we’ve tried not allowing sticks to go through legs but the end result was a pretty frustrating gameplay experience where you would continuously keep losing the puck. Our conclusion was that until there was much more fidelity in the stickhandling/deking control, it was a better experience to allow the sticks to penetrate through legs and not lose the puck unless the defensive player did something such as poke check.
I would love to see proper collision detection added to sticks -- i.e., "stick physics."

Right now, sticks often go into "ghost mode" and clip through everything, including the puck, people and the net.

# 26 RamZnation @ 05/14/12 10:19 PM
I'm looking forward to this. Still wondering who is going to win the Cover, too!

# 27 bukktown @ 05/14/12 10:37 PM
I really thought the skill stick in NHL 07 was the pinnacle of sports gameplay revolutions.

But I guess, 6 years later we are due for a new pinnacle.

# 28 johnnyg713 @ 05/14/12 11:06 PM
The video hints that it has to do something with skating. I'm guessing its a whole new skating engine.

# 29 Babar61 @ 05/14/12 11:10 PM
I wish they would stop putting a game out every year and only put a game out every two years. Just keep coming out with the odd patch and frequent roster updates in the meantime. I think it would be worth the wait and would be a much more complete product. However, that would not be as profitable so it will never ever happen.

# 30 savoie2006 @ 05/14/12 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babar61
I wish they would stop putting a game out every year and only put a game out every two years. Just keep coming out with the odd patch and frequent roster updates in the meantime. I think it would be worth the wait and would be a much more complete product. However, that would not be as profitable so it will never ever happen.
If the series made alot money, that would be more likely. As it is though, they would lose too much money.

# 31 gator3guy @ 05/15/12 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1724

I figured their ad for NHL 13 would be "NHL 13....a game so close to the ice it constantly freezes."
Haha. That's brilliant. So true.

# 32 ShadowBot @ 05/15/12 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Yeah, I'm thinking the same. Yes players should have weight, but where is the line and how do you not cross it? The one thing that has bothered me about 2k's game and really 2k's sports titles on the whole is the over use of momentum and overly heavy use of long drawn out animations that remove control from the player. If they can find the sweet spot so as players aren't turning on a dime and ignoring their stats, they'll do ok.

I'm just hoping it's not "skill stick 3.0" or some back of the box bullet point like that, the game imo plays fairly well, it just needs a few tweaks in certain areas, skating being a major one, physics being the other. The hitting in 12 feels "off" for lack of a better way to describe it. More than likely due to the skating and the lack of weight.

The other thing that needs to be addressed on the gameplay front is attributes mattering. EA at some point whether it's this gen or the start of next gen, needs to bite the bullet and spread the ratings out, the way the game has been the last few years, teams and players are far too close to each other in overalls and this ends up with all the teams and players feeling "samey"

I get it, you don't want to frustrate the casuals, and even a guy like Shaun Thorton can pull off a decent deke from time to time, but it happens way to often, way too easy as it is now. It's near impossible to tell if the cpu has a 4th line out there, or a first line, because all their players feel the same. Needs to be addressed period.

Other than that, blow out the presentation, it's long over due. The ingame action tracker last year was nice, the cuts to guys on the bench and talk about streaks, in game action replay clips of saves, and hits etc were a good start, but there's a long way to go to make the overall experience not feel stale or again "samey" as it has since 08 or so.
While i do agree with most of your post, i refuse to agree with the comment in bold. Sorry but this game does not play very well. Maybe against human opponents who don't glitch but otherwise no. The AI is just broken. It needs to be fixed. The way the AI attacks and defends needs to be rewritten. It so bad that you can tell when the cheating script kicks in. Does the AI need to cheat? Absolutely, otherwise they would be easy to beat. The thing that separates good AI from bad AI is how well the cheating is disguised. It is not disguised well in NHL 12 at all. Its there for everyone to see. The AI needs some serious work.

# 33 Yeats @ 05/15/12 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babar61
I wish they would stop putting a game out every year and only put a game out every two years. However, that would not be as profitable so it will never ever happen.
You could just buy it every other year. Last NHL game I bought was 09, still waiting for EA to change and improve the game enough that it would warrant a purchase. As for that trailer, what a ridiculous waste of 30 seconds, gack.

# 34 Bloop33 @ 05/15/12 05:49 AM
I hope they fix the fact that the changes made in NHL 12 to the physics engine destroyed many of the better parts of the NHL 11 changes. I play superstar, and adjust the sliders so that the AI is as good as they can possibly be defensively, yet I can win a game 5-1 with ease. I go back to playing NHL 11, and the graphics and hitting and many other things aren't as great, but I don't win games by 4 goals everytime I play, because the AI uses their brains (relatively) defensively much better than they do in NHL 12.

I also agree with RealmK about fixing player attributes. Even other EA platforms do better than NHL differentiating a player of Malkin's talent with a player of Mike Rupp's ability. I don't know how many times I've gone into GM Mode, and there is an unskilled tough guy not only on the top line (another problem), but being the best player on that line.

My hopes, since it seems NHL 13 is a loss, is that for NHL 14 they spend a full season working on AI Logic, be it in game or as management in the various modes available now, and player attributes/energy/morale/etc. features so that players have identity. Would be nice if Alexander Semin (as an example) would not re-sign because I've been using him on the 4th line on a trap team.

I'm tired of 'trade value' being the only thing determining if a team will accept a trade or not. Trade Value is nice, but I shouldn't be able to trade St. Louis a starting goaltender when they have Elliott, Halak and Allen. Or, sticking with the St. Louis theme, and an actual situation I've seen. They should not have Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo, Bogosian and Del Zotto, and have defencemen be their only need on their trade block screen.

Madden took a full season working on their Franchise Mode, which is probably my favourite franchise mode management system on any current sports gaming platform (Including NBA 2k12, MLB 2k12, MLB The Show 11, Fifa 12, NHL 12). NHL's gameplay, while far from perfect, is fairly good compared to Madden and even Fifa at times, it's time for them to upgrade the out of game play so it feels realistic once again (the old games GM Mode felt more realistic, to me)

# 35 TDKing @ 05/15/12 10:58 AM
"Total Control Kinect Goalie Fighting" Now you can drop your controller jump up out of your chair and beat the leaving daylights out of the other teams goalie. TCKGF was the number one requested feature by the community and once again EA delivered!

# 36 canucksss @ 05/15/12 12:48 PM
the more i watch this clip the more fear that i have....EA will not fix the gameplay in terms of team/player differences. type C player (grinders, tg's etc) will be playing like Crosby in terms of stick handling/skating abilities....hmmmmm.....

# 37 jake19ny @ 05/15/12 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
the more i watch this clip the more fear that i have....EA will not fix the gameplay in terms of team/player differences. type C player (grinders, tg's etc) will be playing like Crosby in terms of stick handling/skating abilities....hmmmmm.....
Hard to tell from the video but it did seem to focus on skating. That would be nice. I wonder if they are going to overhaul the presentation as well. I know the NHL series is not Madden, but they are replacing the same old commentary and presentation in Madden with Phil Simms and Jim Nantz doing the games now. They claim they will have like 4x the amount of commentary. EA acknowledged that it was getting old and hopefully realize that for the NHL series as well. That being said what good is coming up with new skating and presentation if they continue to ruin the game with patches and updates? Those of us here who discovered the delete the update trick found the game to play much better out of the box than with EA's updates.
Anyway improved skating and presentation would go along way with me. I would like to see some simple things thrown in as well. Someone mentioned line match-ups and getting thrown out of the face off. That would be great. I would like to see the CPU put its checking line out against my scoring line. Maybe some new goalie masks I enjoy setting up all the goalies. Meh. Its all wait and see. Success EA you have us all talking about

# 38 Vikes1 @ 05/15/12 04:10 PM
I guess maybe the #1 thing I'm hoping to see in a coming vid is to actually see a AI player force the issue with the puck carrier.

You know....vs letting you just skate right on by from end to end....with anyone. Every time. To me anyway...this would nearly feel like a "Revolution" in gameplay at this point.

# 39 Simple Mathematics @ 05/15/12 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackXEyes
and i think i am done with that list
feel free to post it at the EA Sports Forum of my frustations continue =O

another thing if i was a mulitimillioner I'd call Dev His name Sean
And Pay Him 1 Millian Dollers to give me the sercet to realisitic sliders and 20 minutes sliders XD and Goalie Sliders ( just wish someday if i win the lottery)
Are you Leon from Curb Your Enthusiasm?

I just really really hope this "huge announcement" is better than last year's. The Legends thing was a huge let down.

# 40 Money99 @ 05/15/12 08:25 PM
Because the video really focused on the skill stick I'm guessing it'll be something with the analog controls - probably something to do with goaltending.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.