Home
Madden NFL 13 News Post

DLG's Casey Mosier has posted his Madden NFL 13 hands-on impressions.

Quote:
This is a huge item for many of you (myself included) so let’s hit this topic right off the bat. The Passing system IS as advertised. Pass trajectories have been added so make sure you put touch on your throws when you need to. This has ELIMINATED the so-called super line backers. HOWEVER, if you throw a bullet pass directly to a linebacker with a receiver a few yards (5 maybe) behind him, you will possibly get picked off. I just wanted to put that in there for the folks who refuse to use actual passing windows like they are supposed to (and have to in the NFL). Use common sense and the pass will get there pending your QB can make the throw.
“Throwing a receiver open” is HUGE! It is a great feeling to see a receiver well covered and being able to aim the throw to where only he can catch it. Can you say back shoulder throws?!? That’s right, it is in there. I threw maybe 10-12 touchdowns using back shoulder throws, either at the goal line or in the end zone. Beautiful! Leading a receiver or throwing to a spot works very well (once again, if your QB can make a good throw) but is very much dependent on the user. It will take you a few games for sure to get used to the intricacies of the new system.

Game: Madden NFL 13Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 77 - View All
Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 jfsolo @ 05/15/12 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
Defenders were very aggressive in the builds I played. I will be here (unless I get banned). hit me up any time [email protected] I got nothing to hide (other than what I'm not permitted to talk about yet lol)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baughn3
I don't user catch and prefer to play in leagues that have a no user catch rule (this is with NCAA, haven't played Madden in 3 or 4 years).

My question is, why would we need to get good at user catching if there is no advantage to it? If we as the QB are able to make throws to get our WRs open, why wouldn't the CPU be able to choose the right catch animation for that situation? (that's the impression that I'm getting by getting good at user catching).

That's always been my issue with the user catch is that it is way overpowered and gives an advantage to the HUM player over the CPU player. The statement that we had better learn how to user catch leads me to believe this is still the case... or that there is something the CPU can't/won't do that we have to make up for as the user.

EDIT: Forgot to add, but good impressions. It's good to hear about all of the improvements so far. Just a little confusions about the user catch statement
Quote:
Defenders go after the ball like crazy. If you sit back and expect the cpu receiver to do everything for you, then you will be missing out on a large portion of what makes this game good. The game is made to switch and take control of the defender/receiver. I can't see any reason personally why a league wouldn't allow user catching for M13 at this point. Madden 12 yes, I could understand that. To me that would be like banning touching the sticks at all other snapping the ball. Just ky opinion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baughn3
So it sounds like you're saying the CPU defensive player is more aggressive than the CPU offensive player, and the HUM player needs to switch in order to even the scales? Is this the same when the HUM is on defense? Or is it just that the CPU is more aggressive against all HUM players, not matter which side of the ball?

Thanks again for going into more details with this, you certainly don't have to do it so it is definitely appreciated.
Quote:
I'm not trying to sound standoff-ish, really. Many of you guys are trying to base my impressions off of Madden 12... STOP . It's a completely different game. You have already seen video of the new defensive stuff and new offensive stuff. You already know about the game being steered towards user control. I'm just giving you the feelings I had playing the game. If I say user catching is easier and more realistic at the same time it should mean that everyone is put on the same level when using the same players. This is NOT Madden 12, nor is it your daddy's Madden. You can feel free to look me up after E3 and/or the actual release date. As long as things don't change for the worse between now and then...my sentiments are echoed by every attendee including a member of TSS, TSO, MPOA, Shopmaster, MB, OS... It's not a conspiracy. I WILL be posting impressions on other things and more on this when I can elaborate further at a later date.

I'll be at work, so I won't see any responses till this evening, but I want to reignite this tangent.

I like making User plays as much as possible, so I'll be good with improved User control, but some guys will never want to make User Catches or Picks/Swats.

It's great that the CPU defenders are ultra aggressive in attacking the ball in various ways, that's how it should be, but the CPU receivers need to be ultra aggressive as well otherwise it puts the non User Catching person at a big time disadvantage, and exponentially reduces the number of players that they might choose to play against H2H.

The CPU controlled receivers in NCAA and Madden the last couple of years were absurdly passive in attacking balls early or at its highest point. Hopefully they tuned them up to play with the same zeal as the defenders do.

# 62 BezO @ 05/15/12 11:11 AM
Quote:
...you should be able to put this edition as a top 5 (at least) sports game ever.
Wow! Can you list a few great sports games you think it's better than?

Given what's been said about the o-line/d-line interaction, I can't imagine what could put Madden in the top 5 all time, but I wouldn't put Madden '12 in the top 10 either.

# 63 ch46647 @ 05/15/12 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO

Given what's been said about the o-line/d-line interaction, I can't imagine what could put Madden in the top 5 all time, but I wouldn't put Madden '12 in the top 10 either.
I wouldnt put Madden 12 anywhere near my top 10. Honestly, I thought the game was horrible and only played if for two weeks. Fortunately, just about everything EA is doing is correcting many of the issues I had with Madden 12 and previous next-gen Maddens. I just hope it all works as advertised and this June 4th gameplay and conneceted careers announcement is as revolutionary as people are saying it is.

Next year I really hope they dig deep and completely re-vamp the OL/DL interactions as well as the footplanting and locomotion. I would also love to see them get more player specific animations in the game to make every player look and feel like their real life counterpart. NBA 2k and MLB the Show do a phenomenal job in this regard.

# 64 raguel @ 05/15/12 11:13 AM
Quote:
From my perspective no. I think both "that other game" and previous Madden editions felt arcadish with some of the passing. Right now I'm on the fence with this being the most realistic passing experience in a football title ever. But a lot of that will depend on final tuning and what not.
In that case, let me ask the same question a bit differently.

The devs say timing matters in Madden 13. When I think of the timing, I look at guys like Aikman and Brady. I expect that when a qb in Madden 13 finishes his drop the ball should be coming out of his hands. I expect that, at this time, the receiver is just entering his break, if he's started his break at all. As an aside, I also expect that the OL will block differently depending on the drop back of the qb, but baby steps and all that .

Based on your experience, would you say the above is true for Madden 12? Is it markedly true for Madden 13? Is it something you care about at all?

# 65 RynoAid @ 05/15/12 11:14 AM
Quote:

If the implementation is solid, I can't think of ONE sports game that i would put above it. NCAA 2K8 and MVP 05 are the only two I would even say are sniffing it at this point.

I have not played The Show (disclaimer)

# 66 SteelerSpartan @ 05/15/12 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSpartan
How much ground can the average safety cover???....Will people have to think twice about bringing them down in the box now???

Bueller??Bueller???

Besides the terrible OL/DL, Unrealistic safety play is another key culprit that tears down the realism in these games

Average Safeties being able to cover 3/4 the field has to stop

# 67 ch46647 @ 05/15/12 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RynoAid
If the implementation is solid, I can't think of ONE sports game that i would put above it. NCAA 2K8 and MVP 05 are the only two I would even say are sniffing it at this point.

Another big statement and I like it! Personally, I think Madden 05 blows any Madden on this gen (so far) out of the water. Madden was so innovative in the 90's and early 2000's. I think Madden really came together and had its golden era between about 2003-2005. Then next gen came along....

# 68 BezO @ 05/15/12 11:36 AM
Quote:
Either Madden is about to surprise the hell out of me or we care about a completely different set of past Madden issues.

Quote:
If we're counting multiple releases, that explains a few spots.

Quote:
I have to agree, but I will add Madden 05 on PS2 as well as an all around great game in its time.
Madden 05 over NFL 2K5? I'm guessing our taste are very different.
Do you play MLB The Show? Better than that?

Either of you like basketball & play NBA 2K11 or 12? Better than those?

FIFA?

# 69 ch46647 @ 05/15/12 11:46 AM
Quote:
Either Madden is about to surprise the hell out of me or we care about a completely different set of past Madden issues.

If we're counting multiple releases, that explains a few spots.

Madden 05 over NFL 2K5? I'm guessing our taste are very different.
Do you play MLB The Show? Better than that?

Either of you like basketball & play NBA 2K11 or 12? Better than those?

FIFA?
NHL series is excellent on the next gen systems as well. Well I should say the gameplay is excellent. The presentation leaves a lot to be desired.

# 70 Senator Palmer @ 05/15/12 12:04 PM
Quote:
From what I saw, yes they attacked the ball.

If people choose not to take control of the players and make plays that is their choice. The game is meant to be played and players controlled when possible. I can't hold any developer responsible for people playing the game outside its intended use. EA is attempting to make a football game in my opinion for H2H and all that comes with that. What people do with that is on them. They can take advantage of the tools at their disposal or they can sit back call the plays and just snap the ball... Although I don't feel that is what the game is made for, its their choice. But once again if people want the experience intended, then they need to go outside their comfort zone.

I don't want to be one of those guys coming in to pile on, but I have to say, the bolded really bothers me. I would hate to think that a play is left out there on the field just because I choose not to take control of a player. What are the ratings for if that's the case?

If I'm controlling as Ray Lewis and a ball gets thrown over my head should I have to click on Ed Reed to get him to aggressively make the play? Should I have to control Dwight Freeney to get him to use his 99 finesse moves?

If that's not what you're saying, then pardon me, but I don't know how else to read it. I hate the thought that this game is intended for you to have click from player to player to get them to maximize their functions. Why aren't they doing those things already and executing their positions to their ratings?

In my opinion the only advantage a user should have clicking on or controlling a player is a boost in awareness. And if you're clicking on a player (mid-play) with 99 awareness, then even that should be mitigated, because he should already be in position and ready to make the play.

# 71 RynoAid @ 05/15/12 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
Another big statement and I like it! Personally, I think Madden 05 blows any Madden on this gen (so far) out of the water. Madden was so innovative in the 90's and early 2000's. I think Madden really came together and had its golden era between about 2003-2005. Then next gen came along....
see i played Madden on the PC from 2000-2008 in online franchises so i can't tell you about the console in those years. I would put the last Madden on the PC on the board too. With all the customization and fully functioning features, you could get really deep into that game.

I was a huge fan of the High Heat series on PC also.

# 72 BezO @ 05/15/12 12:22 PM
Quote:
Sorry but I felt on the field/court the 2k series is bad in general.
Ahh, OK. Different preferences. I thought Madden came with the heat for a second.

# 73 raguel @ 05/15/12 12:23 PM
Quote:
Ahh, OK. Different preferences. I thought Madden came with the heat for a second.
It does sort of dampens one's expectations, doesn't it?

# 74 sticks323 @ 05/15/12 12:24 PM
What about the players on the sidelines? Are they all still doing the Macerena? Do they all still have weird numbers?

# 75 BezO @ 05/15/12 12:29 PM
Quote:
If people choose not to take control of the players and make plays that is their choice. The game is meant to be played and players controlled when possible. I can't hold any developer responsible for people playing the game outside its intended use. EA is attempting to make a football game in my opinion for H2H and all that comes with that. What people do with that is on them. They can take advantage of the tools at their disposal or they can sit back call the plays and just snap the ball... Although I don't feel that is what the game is made for, its their choice. But once again if people want the experience intended, then they need to go outside their comfort zone.
That's scary, especially the bolded part. I'm hoping this is one of those, "The veiws expressed in this post do not necessarily represent the views of EA...".

The game has a User vs CPU option. Are you saying it's not intended to be used?

Like others have said, I hope it's not necessary for users to control players for them to perform up to their abilities. We can't control all 11 players.

# 76 djordan @ 05/15/12 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks323
What about the players on the sidelines? Are they all still doing the Macerena? Do they all still have weird numbers?
I'm cracking up over here. Just picturing the sideline doing the dance in unison now lol.

# 77 shaunlmason @ 05/15/12 12:31 PM
Quote:

Have you played NBA2K?

# 78 RynoAid @ 05/15/12 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Mason
Have you played NBA2K?
yea, it's a great game.. i was not to thrilled with the lack of control in OA though. I did like it however, very nice game all around. Graphics were INCREDIBLE and the gameplay was solid. I really liked how the players had that feel for their real life counterpart. The game is extremely challenging too on the difficult settings, I just wished you could have customized them more for OA play. There was such a division in guys who wanted to play different difficulty levels and it was one or the other.

I've always thought 2K did basketball very, very well.

# 79 kjcheezhead @ 05/15/12 12:49 PM
I gotta say, this whole premium on user catching is not something I like to hear. Playing it out in my head, I see guys grabbing control of wrs and altering their routes to make all kinds of arcadish plays. Not bothering to worry about whether wrs are actually "looking for the pass", etc.

I'm not a fan of user controlling wrs because with the exception of throwing deep passes up for grabs, real life passes need to be kept along a wr's route for a wr to be able to make the play. There really shouldn't be a need to click on a wr to make the catch.

Combine that with a lack of oline improvements and I must really be missing something because I just don't see Madden 13 being all about realism like its being advertised to be. Still sounds like it wants to empasize arcade/sim hybred gameplay to me.

# 80 JerzeyReign @ 05/15/12 12:51 PM
@CR -- Bruh, you were so close to becoming my favorite GC -- but that 2k comment -- ehhh, man... we understand games have flaws but.... man... I'm lost for words and that doesn't happen often.

2K arcady and Madden not? Bruh... I'm like really hurt right now.

I'm actually going to unsubscribe from this thread -- man... I'm really hurt... like, bone deep cut about that... by the way, if you ever want to learn how to stop the spin dunk I can show you (or stop playing on Xbox because nobody really abuses that on the PS3).

#Heartbroken

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.