Home
NHL 12 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Game: NHL 12Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 26 - View All
NHL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 blinkfan77 @ 05/16/12 01:06 PM
It couldn't be anymore obvious. AFAIC it's all but a guarantee. How anyone could balk at the skating theory after these 2 blatantly obvious teasers, is beyond me.

# 2 jyoung @ 05/16/12 01:16 PM
"NHL 11 -- The first team sports game with real world physics"

Um:

Backbreaker -- Jun 1, 2010
NHL 11 -- Sep 7, 2010

And the physics in the NHL series are still no where close to what Natural Motion achieved in their two Backbreaker games, especially Backbreaker: Vengeance.

# 3 savoie2006 @ 05/16/12 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung

Um:

NHL 11 -- Sep 7, 2010

And the physics in the NHL series are still no where close to what Natural Motion achieved in their two Backbreaker games, especially Backbreaker: Vengeance.
Backbreaker didn't have the same physics engine and even it's physics engine had its issues (players going down to easy).

# 4 phillyfan23 @ 05/16/12 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBot
While i do agree with most of your post, i refuse to agree with the comment in bold. Sorry but this game does not play very well. Maybe against human opponents who don't glitch but otherwise no. The AI is just broken. It needs to be fixed. The way the AI attacks and defends needs to be rewritten. It so bad that you can tell when the cheating script kicks in. Does the AI need to cheat? Absolutely, otherwise they would be easy to beat. The thing that separates good AI from bad AI is how well the cheating is disguised. It is not disguised well in NHL 12 at all. Its there for everyone to see. The AI needs some serious work.
the difference between good and bad ai is NOT the disguise of cheating logic, but rather the presence or ABSENCE of cheating logic. 2k10 for example 0 cheating logic.....if you play well and dominate you will win big. same as pro evo soccer. it can be done. cheating logic is unacceptable in any sports game whether it 's disguised or not and reeks of lazy or subpar programming.On the other hand, I absolutely agree with you on the general point that nhl 12 doesnt play well at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

# 5 Qb @ 05/16/12 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityBCRT
I've had some contact with the development team over the years and in general been following the product closely. So I have a good idea of what this trailer is pointing to. A lot of us in the community over at thebreakaway.net started complaining about the bad checking, puck & skating physics a few years back. EA took note and mainly worked on the checking/contact the last two years. Based on what I heard in the past (it was too much work to do both skating & checking physics all in one year) NHL 13 was going to be the year they revamp the skating physics.
Not sure if you were at any of the community events, but during the one I was at (prior to NHL11 release), I took the broken record approach to asking for improved skating. I was badgering Redshirt about it while we were on the ice at the real rink for our shinny game with the dev team. If they can successfully rebuild skating, it should drastically increase my interest in the series -- which is currently at it's lowest point since the PS2 days.

# 6 gator3guy @ 05/16/12 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung

Um:

NHL 11 -- Sep 7, 2010

Never played Backbreaker, but NHL's physics engine is not really realistic. I mean how many times do you see a guy get hit and do three horizontal flips? Or Brian Gionta taking out Zdeno Chara? It makes me laugh sometimes.

# 7 savoie2006 @ 05/16/12 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator3guy
Never played Backbreaker, but NHL's physics engine is not really realistic. I mean how many times do you see a guy get hit and do three horizontal flips? Or Brian Gionta taking out Zdeno Chara? It makes me laugh sometimes.
Should note, the engine was still in development during NHL 11 and 12. This years game it's suppose to be completed.

# 8 gator3guy @ 05/16/12 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
Should note, the engine was still in development during NHL 11 and 12. This years game it's suppose to be completed.
That's possible, but I've heard that story with other EA games. I will wait and see. I still enjoy this game, it's fun, but some things that happen in this game just leave me scratching my head.

# 9 Pezell04x @ 05/16/12 02:48 PM
definite new skating engine.

# 10 Money99 @ 05/16/12 03:12 PM
I hope it's better physics for everything on the ice.
I pray that in NHL13 we finally see an end to the impossible, physics-breaking, gravity-defying moves the CPU can pull off.
The last time I played hockey, it was absolutely impossible for me to barrel into a corner for the puck, and once getting to it, suddenly back-up with 100% speed, pivot and head up ice without losing one ounce of momentum.

I will not think of even renting this game until that move is completely gone.
I will not even bother buying this game until I see that only stars can do star moves.

I can see us getting better skating physics, but then to me, that means there will be even more CPU boosts.
If the CPU is unable to perform moves that only exist in Neverneverland, then it will be even more handicapped so expect to see Dan Girardi score 3 goals every-time you play the Rangers.

Can you tell I'm a bit bitter with how little this series has improved over the past 4 years? (gameplay wise)

# 11 savoie2006 @ 05/16/12 03:49 PM
Quote:

Can you tell I'm a bit bitter with how little this series has improved over
the past 4 years? (gameplay wise)
It has though. Maybe not in the key areas we would have all liked to have seen it improve in, but all the little additions really have made a noticable difference. If you go back and play NHL 09 and or 08, you really notice it. It's the major changes that haven't happened though that have left the game feeling a bit stale indeed. That said, this whole physics thing really better have a major impact or all will seem for not.

# 12 savoie2006 @ 05/16/12 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilders335
Whole game needs an overhaul...
That happened with NHL 07 and will likely happen again around NHL 15 after the new systems drop. Then everyone will be complaining they removed all the features the game had. It's a vicious cycle and most likely people will want complete reboots about every four years. If only it were that easy..

# 13 actionhank @ 05/16/12 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator3guy
Well, they can't just have size and weight be the only factors. Sometimes smaller players are just really good at hitting, and especially counter hitting.
Guys like TJ Oshie come to mind, he's one of the better players i've seen that can hit a guy trying to hit him, and still skate off.
But when guys like McDonald are crushing everyone...yeah that's a bit lame.

# 14 savoie2006 @ 05/16/12 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkrabz
So they show highlights of NHL 11 to get us hyped about NHL 13? I don't get it.
I don't think the last few seconds were anything from NHL 11 or even 12. Didn't look like anything you could do on either of those. Anyways, this is simply to give us a clue as to what the next BIG thing is. It's not really a hype thing so much, more of a get us guessin type thing. They aren't gonna throw much out this out this early.

# 15 lavy23 @ 05/16/12 07:02 PM
Why the hell is this game coming out on 9/11? Just noticed that, seems like a bad omen.

# 16 johnnyg713 @ 05/16/12 07:19 PM
After reading some these comments, I cannot believe this website. Of course the game can improve but the NHL series is the only sports game I buy every year. I spend hours playing online and playing team play with friends. Hell we even play this game when we pregame. I play this game every day because its flat out fun. I can't believe some of the negative comments. This is one of the few games that never gets old. Its the only game I play for hours at a time. The only game I can play 3 consecutive games back to back without blinking an eye.

I knew this site was critical with games like Madden and NCAA, but man if some of you guys don't even enjoy this game, then idk if you actually enjoy playing videogames at all.

# 17 savoie2006 @ 05/16/12 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg713
After reading some these comments, I cannot believe this website. Of course the game can improve but the NHL series is the only sports game I buy every year. I spend hours playing online and playing team play with friends. Hell we even play this game when we pregame. I play this game every day because its flat out fun. I can't believe some of the negative comments. This is one of the few games that never gets old. Its the only game I play for hours at a time. The only game I can play 3 consecutive games back to back without blinking an eye.

I knew this site was critical with games like Madden and NCAA, but man if some of you guys don't even enjoy this game, then idk if you actually enjoy playing videogames at all.
Well, there are ALOT of diehard hockey fans here.There are aspects of the game that have gotten way stale over the years. The largely the same Presentation and commentary. The boring Offensive Cpu AI. The lack of capable AI defensemen. The unrealistic skating. Yes, the game is fun at first, but as is, it gets old quicker than it did back when NHL 10 came out.

I commend the development team for adding all the small things they have added to the game over the years. This year though, major changes are gonna be needed in order to keep people interested. You can only do so many years of small changes.

# 18 jyoung @ 05/16/12 09:05 PM
As a multiplayer game, EA NHL is a lot fun. The more human players you have on the ice, the better the game gets.

The problem is most people here play the single player modes over the multiplayer ones, and the single player experience in EA NHL just hasn't been very good this generation.

# 19 savoie2006 @ 05/16/12 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
I should've known better not to get too excited....

1) it's way too early before release, and 2) teasers are nothing more than hints.

That video did nothing for me....
So you're not very good at guessing games. Don't think they're expecting the excitement level to be very high right now, just the curiosity level.

# 20 letsgopens66 @ 05/16/12 11:25 PM
I know this is mildly off topic, but why does EA think having an engine produce big hits all the time is entertaining? There's only 1 (maybe 2-5) big hits per game in the NHL, and that's what makes big hits exciting. If they happen every time I go up the ice, then it just becomes annoying and no longer a "big deal."

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.