Home
NHL 12 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Game: NHL 12Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 26 - View All
NHL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 savoie2006 @ 05/17/12 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgopens66
I know this is mildly off topic, but why does EA think having an engine produce big hits all the time is entertaining? There's only 1 (maybe 2-5) big hits per game in the NHL, and that's what makes big hits exciting. If they happen every time I go up the ice, then it just becomes annoying and no longer a "big deal."
Well for offline at least, you can lower the hitting power and you'll see far less big hits. Second, it's an attempt to cater to those that aren't hockey fans. Lets face it, there two things people that don't normally like hockey are gonna be attracted to...big hits and fighting.

# 22 Fiddy @ 05/17/12 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
Well for offline at least, you can lower the hitting power and you'll see far less big hits. Second, it's an attempt to cater to those that aren't hockey fans. Lets face it, there two things people that don't normally like hockey are gonna be attracted to...big hits and fighting.
thats correct, but both of those things need to be improved as well. lol.

# 23 GuyinPA75 @ 05/17/12 09:48 PM
I hope its actually geared to sim and not as arcadey online as it has been in the past.

Hope not get another "warning" now after sharing that thought.

Said that before about EA games and a mod sent me a warning message basically saying I should not say that since EA has not made a game in the last 5 years. Wow. Where did that come from? Not sure if mod is aware of the other EA sports games like NFL and NHL that have been coming out every year for last what 20 years?

Hope the mod sends something back so I know what he was talking about. Like to understand what he was trying to say, so I not do it again. Kinda left me scratching my head there.

# 24 savoie2006 @ 05/17/12 10:55 PM
Well I guess the basic Feature set goes up on the EA website tomorrow

# 25 Fiddy @ 05/18/12 08:25 AM
Quote:
Well I guess the basic Feature set goes up on the EA website tomorrow
plus another video, right?

# 26 Broncos86 @ 05/18/12 02:37 PM
Unless Be A GM gets some major love and refinements, NHL13 is a skip for me, regardless of the in-game improvements.

# 27 Vikes1 @ 05/20/12 01:26 AM
Quote:
Well, there are ALOT of diehard hockey fans here.There are aspects of the game that have gotten way stale over the years. The largely the same Presentation and commentary. The boring Offensive Cpu AI. The lack of capable AI defensemen. The unrealistic skating. Yes, the game is fun at first, but as is, it gets old quicker than it did back when NHL 10 came out.

I commend the development team for adding all the small things they have added to the game over the years. This year though, major changes are gonna be needed in order to keep people interested. You can only do so many years of small changes.
Solid post imo, Savoie.

If memory serves, yeah...it was about just after NHL '10' that the attitude towards the game started to darken a bit for a number of us here. Up to '10'...things overall where quite positive on our board. But since...not nearly as much for quite a few. Or so it seems anyway.

Also agree that the small upgrades to the gameplay have been welcome the last few years. But yep...for '13' it'd sure be nice to see the game get a real nice kick in the pants. For the series to regain some of it's lost momentum.

# 28 savoie2006 @ 05/20/12 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
Solid post imo, Savoie.

If memory serves, yeah...it was about just after NHL '10' that the attitude towards the game started to darken a bit for a number of us here. Up to '10'...things overall where quite positive on our board. But since...not nearly as much for quite a few. Or so it seems anyway.

Also agree that the small upgrades to the gameplay have been welcome the last few years. But yep...for '13' it'd sure be nice to see the game get a real nice kick in the pants. For the series to regain some of it's lost momentum.
Thanks and I think the EA team realized it was time to bring something big to the table again. Now it's just a matter of how well it's implemented.

# 29 bwiggy33 @ 05/20/12 06:50 PM
With these hopefully "major" changes I will be glad to just play a game that is fresh and unique. I fully expect there to be flaws with the new major additions to the game because not everything is going to work the way it's supposed to right away, but at least it will be something new. I just need a new feeling to this game. It is so stale, predictable, and flat out boring. For the first time ever with a sports game a demo may actually be a determining factor on whether I get the game or not just because the NHL team has always said they've done things with the AI and such, but nothing has dramatically changed. I need to actually play it for myself in order to actually see the changes are there. I just can't shell out another 60 dollars on a game that really hasn't changed all that much.

# 30 Vikes1 @ 05/20/12 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
A little of it is justified, they have rattled on about AI before and that hasn't panned out really, and I don't remember any of the hardcore folks asking for HUT or Legends. I do agree though. NHL 10 was about the time where the vocal minority started getting impatient on larger improvements, rather than bones thrown to new modes that make EA money post release and are mainly online.

Hopefully it's legit in regards to the AI stuff, as a long time OS'er who has generally sided with the dev team the last few years, even I was starting to get impatient with where the state of the AI was for the offline game and the skating. Create a Play is nice but it only goes so far.
Yep Real...I think we're on similar lines here. [pardon the pun]

I like to think I too have been pretty positive towards the game the last few years as well. And have gotten a lot of enjoyment outta playing NHL. But I'm guessing that maybe like yourself...I'm going to now be pretty disappointed if '13' plays/feels a whole lot too much like 10, 11, 12.

I'll buy, and most likely play the heck out of the coming game. But man...imo, it is time for the game to deliver a different hockey gaming experience. Or at least the option to have that, through setting adjustments for off-line play. So far, it does at least sound like that hopefully is on it's way.

# 31 actionhank @ 05/20/12 11:17 PM
Quote:
Well, there are ALOT of diehard hockey fans here.There are aspects of the game that have gotten way stale over the years. The largely the same Presentation and commentary. The boring Offensive Cpu AI. The lack of capable AI defensemen. The unrealistic skating. Yes, the game is fun at first, but as is, it gets old quicker than it did back when NHL 10 came out.

I commend the development team for adding all the small things they have added to the game over the years. This year though, major changes are gonna be needed in order to keep people interested. You can only do so many years of small changes.
Agreed.
Don't get me wrong, i really like the game, and it is fun, and i wouldn't hesitate to call it hands down, the best hockey game (not that it has much competition anymore, but even when 2K sports was out, i liked it more.)
That being said, the game still needs a lot of work.
Be A GM mode could use a lot more love, to make it feel more alive, instead of just your team, playing against a team who plays the same, but has different player names and jerseys.
And while the offense is fun, the defense is sometimes miserable to play as. For all the improvements the skill stick has brought to the table for offense, the defense is left with a single button to do most of the work, and a stick that could easily be replaced by a button for checking. The goalies let in terrible goals, and stop ones they normally shouldn't, which wouldn't be so bad if the defense had a chance to actually do something to help with the situation.
I'm not saying it's a bad game, and i will most likely buy it again this year, for the 5th straight year, but that doesn't mean i want to see a lot of things fixed, and improved before i decide that it's a sure deal.

# 32 savoie2006 @ 05/20/12 11:39 PM
Quote:

the defense is left with a single button to do most of the work, and a stick
that could easily be replaced by a button for checking.
Try the "Alternate" control scheme. It switches the poke check/body check. I like it better myself. It feels more responsive and seems more effective to me.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.