Home
NHL 13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Quote:
The next gameplay revolution is here with all-new True Performance Skating! With true physics and over 1000 new animations, True Performance Skating replicates the explosiveness, top-end speed and momentum displayed by today's NHL players, delivering unprecedented control and a level of creativity never before possible in a hockey videogame.

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 ch46647 @ 05/18/12 01:05 PM
WOW! EA did it!!

# 2 Dragoulios @ 05/18/12 01:17 PM
Looks good, man!

# 3 chrisphil1724 @ 05/18/12 01:19 PM
yay, Same spear eagle goalie animation as the last 5 years...

I mean, WOW that looked GREAT!

# 4 LuGer33 @ 05/18/12 01:25 PM
Light years better than the skating in NHL 07-12.

# 5 Qb @ 05/18/12 01:55 PM
It sure looks better. The key is the differentiation of skating abilities and styles.

# 6 plaidchuck @ 05/18/12 01:55 PM
wow one teaser and already see something that looks like crap- the goalie belly flopping waiting for the player to take a shot.

# 7 adayinthelife @ 05/18/12 02:21 PM
Looks better yes, but does it play better? That's what I'm interested to find out. If it has a whole new feel to the skating then yeah, that's pretty exciting. If it's just a bunch of new skating animations? **** that.

I'm also interested to see what the deal is for year 3 of the "3 year plan" for physics implementation, as far as body contact and the way the puck moves. Surprised no samples of that were shown. Well, maybe surprised isn't the right word.

# 8 Pezell04x @ 05/18/12 02:25 PM
I'm so happy the goalie went into desperation so early.

# 9 Russo @ 05/18/12 02:26 PM
O.M.G

about time!!!!!

# 10 gator3guy @ 05/18/12 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck
wow one teaser and already see something that looks like crap- the goalie belly flopping waiting for the player to take a shot.
I'm thinking that's gotta be a human goalie. I guess they tried to recreate this....

# 11 TalenT @ 05/18/12 03:00 PM
Wow. Those skating animations look great.

-Non Hockey fan

# 12 johnnyg713 @ 05/18/12 03:34 PM
Gatorguy is 100% right. Giroux's goal was the prettiest shootout goal this season. EA did a very good job of recreating it. NHL 13 will be sports game of the year if this stuff works as promised.

# 13 hollywood_cpm @ 05/18/12 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator3guy
I'm thinking that's gotta be a human goalie. I guess they tried to recreate this....

100% bang on. It's totally a human controlled goalie to re-create the moment. Not even the Rookie AI would go down that early.

# 14 TreyIM2 @ 05/18/12 04:30 PM
FINALLY!! As much as I wanted to get 12 with RTP, the more I played the demo, the more I said eff it cuz the animations still looked and felt stiff after all these years but now, WOW, at least from the way the animations look!! If the demo feels great along with the RTP, I'm in!!

# 15 SeaNNyT @ 05/18/12 04:41 PM
They need to implement way more realistic puck physics and it's interactions with stick play. The puck never feathers or bounces in anyway, and it kills any sense that this is simulating hockey, but rather you are playing a arcade style game.

It's a shame that this still is overlooked. Why is it they never can make multiple huge improvements per year, it's always one big thing and then charge 60 dollars?

I didn't purchase the game last year and don't plan on it this year, just based off the fact that I don't expect improvements in the aforementioned areas. Yes it's great they finally addressed the skating, but why not also address other areas of gameplay as well?

# 16 savoie2006 @ 05/18/12 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNNyT
They need to implement way more realistic puck physics and it's interactions with stick play. The puck never feathers or bounces in anyway, and it kills any sense that this is simulating hockey, but rather you are playing a arcade style game.

It's a shame that this still is overlooked. Why is it they never can make multiple huge improvements per year, it's always one big thing and then charge 60 dollars?

I didn't purchase the game last year and don't plan on it this year, just based off the fact that I don't expect improvements in the aforementioned areas. Yes it's great they finally addressed the skating, but why not also address other areas of gameplay as well?
I imgaine the puck would be the trickiest of all to get to behave realistically, especially on the stick. They also claim to have improved the AI, along with the skating. Don't know what exactly you're expecting. If this all works as it should, this will be the greatest set of improvements this game has seen.

# 17 bukktown @ 05/18/12 09:39 PM
So....Does this mean I won't be able to spin o rama with Greg Zanon anymore?

# 18 savoie2006 @ 05/18/12 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFudge
while I do appreciate a more advanced physics based skating engine...when you said you dont know what your expecting, I for one would expect to see much more variety, interactions and realism in goalie animations so we dont see the same repetitive cycle of scripted animations triggered over and over on every shot and scrums in front of the net would then actually resemble something we see in the real NHL.

I would also expect to see ratings of players actually generate more dynamic and varied results on the ice similar to what we saw 2K Hockey incorporate with 2K8 and 2K10. As it is now, every game against every team feels too much like carbon copies of each other with different colored uniforms and names. There is no subtle distinctions between teams or actual players on the ice. So the games feel more like technology engine demos rather than completely organic matches.

Before EA focuses on Improved Presentation (which, btw I want just as much as others do) I think they need to really address these above concerns to take this game to the next level that it has been so stuck in since 2008.

Well maybe, just maybe this will help:

Quote:
EA SPORTS Hockey IQ

A completely overhauled A.I. system, players are now fully aware of every other player on the ice, resulting in quicker, smarter and more true-to-life decision-making. EA SPORTS Hockey IQ also delivers the deepest and most customizable set of real-world hockey systems and strategies ever for the franchise.
Now I'm not saying this is going to be the answer or even that all these cool new features are gonna make the game what it should be. However, I think until proven otherwise, there's reason for some optimism. As I said, this game has the potential of being the most improved of the series by far.

# 19 sportzbro @ 05/19/12 12:28 AM
Now this is what you do in a dev. cycle. I loved NHL 12, and this appears to be a giant upgrade.

# 20 savoie2006 @ 05/19/12 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofubrain2
^^^^This. I'm excited to see what this is
This could be and hopefully is the key to each team playing differently, maybe each line as well

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.