Home
NHL 13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Quote:
The next gameplay revolution is here with all-new True Performance Skating! With true physics and over 1000 new animations, True Performance Skating replicates the explosiveness, top-end speed and momentum displayed by today's NHL players, delivering unprecedented control and a level of creativity never before possible in a hockey videogame.

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Vikes1 @ 05/19/12 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
This could be and hopefully is the key to each team playing differently, maybe each line as well
Really hoping Savoie, that '13' moves us at least closer to actually seeing/feeling this. This would be a major "wow" for me.

As I've said a lot...I still really dig this game. But have to admit like many others have said...yep, the games in the BEAGM mode just kinda meld into another, and another, etc... Here's to hoping NHL '13' addresses this noticeably.

# 22 TreyIM2 @ 05/19/12 12:29 PM
I musta watched this vid about 10 times. I'm not even a hockey fan, per se, although I do watch it here and there, but I just LOVE how the players look when skating. Seems like a "skate planting" tech implementation of sorts. Lol. Maybe they will give this tech to their football franchises...so they DON'T look like they're ice skating on the field. Heh.

# 23 Broncos86 @ 05/19/12 03:03 PM
I'm going to be that guy that says "meh" to it. The A.I. improvements will be nice, if they pan out, because I've chewed out my virtual players more often than not in how they play. But the one aspect I've wanted focused on was Be a GM. That mode has so many aspects that need improvement. I'm tired of the extremely limited number of years for stats that are retained. Scouting, the draft, etc. It needs so much love. I really hope the "GM Connected" stuff includes offline Be a GM improvements. Because I don't care AT ALL for online Be a GM stuff.

# 24 mcmax3000 @ 05/19/12 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNNyT
Why is it they never can make multiple huge improvements per year, it's always one big thing and then charge 60 dollars?
Because, even given the fact that they're updating last year's game, a year is still not an overly lengthy amount of time to make a game. It's certainly not a long amount of time to make multiple huge changes & make sure they actually work decently.

Plus, there's also the business end of things where they know that they have to sell another version 12 months later. If they give you everything you want this year, people will complain the next year when there aren't any more big changes.

# 25 Yeats @ 05/19/12 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackXEyes
am going to give NHL 13 : C-
and NHL 12 : C+
Nothing to do in Powell River, huh? I know, I've been there.

# 26 Fiddy @ 05/19/12 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackXEyes
lol those are my ratings for it XD
my Power River ratings = F

# 27 Money99 @ 05/20/12 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
Well maybe, just maybe this will help:

Now I'm not saying this is going to be the answer or even that all these cool new features are gonna make the game what it should be. However, I think until proven otherwise, there's reason for some optimism. As I said, this game has the potential of being the most improved of the series by far.
Savoie, I admire your optimism, but this isn't the first time EA bragged about some new AI feature that would revolutionize the game and make it uber realistic.
Remember NHL2005? Where they spoke about watching video of each team and studied how each club flowed through the neutral zone? Apparently that was going to give each game a unique feel based on the team you faced.
How did it work out? It sucked. Really, really bad.
Last year they spoke about advanced AI. How guys like Ovie would split from the defensive zone faster, or how some guys would hang back longer. They said we'd see clearly defined player types and roles.
It made no difference. Everyone still played the same.
Or how about the time they talked about the all new 'attribute slider'. Hahaha! They might as well have added a sugar placebo in every case.

So when I hear EA tout "EA SPORTS Hockey IQ " I just laugh.
Does anyone here seriously think that this bullet point is for casual fans or guys like to deke up and down the ice with anyone and everyone? No.
It's for guys like us here on OS.
They know their offline game is beyond pathetic so they throw out catchy phrases like "Hockey IQ" and "Player Roles", etc, etc, that translate into absolutely nothing but smoke and mirrors.

I would have been excited about this prior to NHL08 or 09's release, but not anymore.

I'll be extremely shocked if this new IQ has a big impact on an offline game.

What I anticipate is that all these new 'features' will work against the user, but have no affect on the CPU.
The CPU will still snipe goals from Hall Gill, Mike Brown will deke like Datsyuk, the berzerker mode will still exist, and your CPU-controlled teammates will continue to play as passively as a kitten laying on a window sill flooded with warm sunlight.

Again, I warn everyone here to stop holding your breath.
Any major changes to the NHL series will be for online gamers alone.
And they know full well that a HUGE majority of their sales come from casual fans that wouldn't know hockey if they slept with Bobby Orr.
So the first time Joe Fratboy can't go end to end with a 6th defenseman, there will be blood and EA will patch to ensure that they appease their largest consumer base.

I will eat a truckload of crow if I'm wrong, and I really, really hope that I am.
But I've seen EA's track record and considering NHL12 is barely any different than NHL09, I seriously doubt we're going to see any major changes for 13.

# 28 Radja @ 05/20/12 09:35 AM
for all sports games, i wait until i see the acheivement point goals to see how they designed the game. if it is tailored to online or be a pro online, like 12 almost exclusively was, then they worked on the online gaming. if it is spread across the board for the offline and online, like nba 2k12 was, then they worked a bit on everything.

nhl has focused on the onine gamer for the last several iterations. offline has been neglected. so since i am an offline nhl player, i am in strongly in the wait and see camp.

# 29 Steven547 @ 05/20/12 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Savoie, I admire your optimism, but this isn't the first time EA bragged about some new AI feature that would revolutionize the game and make it uber realistic.
Remember NHL2005? Where they spoke about watching video of each team and studied how each club flowed through the neutral zone? Apparently that was going to give each game a unique feel based on the team you faced.
Last year they spoke about advanced AI. How guys like Ovie would split from the defensive zone faster, or how some guys would hang back longer. They said we'd see clearly defined player types and roles.
Or how about the time they talked about the all new 'attribute slider'. Hahaha! They might as well have added a sugar placebo in every case.

Does anyone here seriously think that this bullet point is for casual fans or guys like to deke up and down the ice with anyone and everyone? No.
They know their offline game is beyond pathetic so they throw out catchy phrases like "Hockey IQ" and "Player Roles", etc, etc, that translate into absolutely nothing but smoke and mirrors.

I would have been excited about this prior to NHL08 or 09's release, but not anymore.

What I anticipate is that all these new 'features' will work against the user, but have no affect on the CPU.
The CPU will still snipe goals from Hall Gill, Mike Brown will deke like Datsyuk, the berzerker mode will still exist, and your CPU-controlled teammates will continue to play as passively as a kitten laying on a window sill flooded with warm sunlight.

And they know full well that a HUGE majority of their sales come from casual fans that wouldn't know hockey if they slept with Bobby Orr.
So the first time Joe Fratboy can't go end to end with a 6th defenseman, there will be blood and EA will patch to ensure that they appease their largest consumer base.

I will eat a truckload of crow if I'm wrong, and I really, really hope that I am.
But I've seen EA's track record and considering NHL12 is barely any different than NHL09, I seriously doubt we're going to see any major changes for 13.
Agreed. I'm very concerned, as others mentioned, about the desperation by the Goaltender in this video. He lays on the ice waiting for the skater, who then puts it OVER him and in the net. I've never seen a real life goal lay on the ice like that for such a long time BEFORE the skater makes his move. I'm very concerned for this years version.

# 30 canucksss @ 05/20/12 12:02 PM
Quote:

YES! totally agree with you. how long has EA done this, giving us promises and using catchy phrases and turn out to be a dung?
its not bad to hope but if the one promising is not reliable or known for all glitters and no value type of promotion, instead of being optimistic we tend to be pessimistic and to a point cynical.

# 31 savoie2006 @ 05/20/12 12:20 PM
Money, I know exactly where you are coming from, trust me. I said it in a previous post that the whole Hockey IQ thing was going to be a wait and see, based on EA's history. They have touted a new improved AI several times and it ends up the same for the most part, so it is cautious optimism I'm going with here.

Steven, as bad as the goalies can be in this game, I haven't seen one do something that stupid since NHL 06 for the Xbox/PS2. I'm pretty sure that was staged so the guy could actually score the goal and maybe the show off the goalie flexability.

# 32 FBeaule04 @ 05/20/12 01:28 PM
Quote:

Holding my breath for an NHL game? Never, ever, ever.

In fact, for the last 3 years, all I saw from EA was a nice women offering a tons of thing that could make me go while when she undress, I discovered it was a guy!

EA can come up with any video they want (ex : AI understanding where the puck will be video last summer and how it translated in the game when on the market!) I'll believe it when I see it on the ice, after a few games.

Until then, sorry for EA, but I assume NHL 13 will be as good as NHL 10-11-12, that means only for 6 vs. 6 play, if not, get ready for a game that as the same amount of IQ than Maggie the Monkey!

# 33 savoie2006 @ 05/20/12 02:01 PM
They don't want the online AI to be that good. That's what humans for and online play is for humans. If they made the online AI good, a whole bunch of one player EASHL teams would be at the top.

# 34 Vikes1 @ 05/20/12 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK

Nice info, but I'll wait to see the game in action or have the demo to play before I get all excited or negative.
This pretty much sums up my attitude as well.

It sounds good...just like before. But ya, gotta really play it to really know.

# 35 phillyfan23 @ 05/20/12 07:41 PM
the post by money99 is absolutely spot on. they have been feeding the same promises the last 2-3 years and in my opinion nhl 12 fixed some things ( cpu missed passes, no comeback ai in quick play at least) but the ai as a whole ttook 2 or 3 steps backwards. penalties got worse...
cpu ai logic got a lot worse....no cycling and just up and down and the cpu just shoots and shoots. yea the skating video looks awrsome but if the ai isnt much better, the new skating will mean nothing to me and im sure harfcore hockey fans will feel the same way.

there were absolutely no changes to player difference in nhl 12. when playing against the top line of the opposition you sometimes forget because of the little player difference. in 2k10, there is a big BIG difference playin against the penguins top line with crosby than playing against their 4th line led by craig adams. the shooting is less accurate and not as hard....passes miss more....speed is less...
less agile less balance less stickhandling....

how can you REALLY get into a hockey game where marian gaborik poses nearly the same threat as brendan prust.....crosby with adams, giroux with jody shelley? I know I cant. Im not even looking forward to nhl 13 after rediscovring 2k10..

i will wait for user reviews from sim guys or maybe rent it and see. but to be honest....if nhl 13 resembles realistic hockey....it will be one of the biggest surprises in sports gaming. i really doubt it will happen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

# 36 phillyfan23 @ 05/21/12 02:10 AM
Im rooting for nhl 13 to surprise me but ive been waiting for them to take the next step since nhl 09. realm you remember we were both very happy with 09 but for me at least from 10 to 12 the series not only stagnated but acually took a step back and only focusing on features the casuals could enjoy.

I dont know if the devs arent capable of taking it to the next level for realistic hockey or its just a design decision.....but what 2k basketball and mlb the show and earlier 2k hockey games prove is that a sim minded game can appeal to the masses and sell.

look at pro evo soccer and fifa soccer.....both games have major followings and they try to achieve realistic soccer. after watching the nhl playoffs....i dont see that type of hockey at all in ea nhl.

with a sim minded game....an arcade game is a couple of slider tweaks away. an arcade minded game will never have a sim game even if you get the worst case of slideritis.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.