Home
MLB 2K12 News Post

In an earlier article from Pastapadre today, he mentioned the MLB 2K series was left out of the Take Two lineup listing, not long after that Kotaku all but confirmed the death of the MLB 2K series.

Quote:
Kotaku asked Take-Two Interactive if it could confirm the end of the series, and it released this statement:

"Our legacy Major League Baseball agreement will sunset in fiscal 2013," a Take-Two spokesman said, meaning in the coming 12 calendar months. "MLB 2K12 is our last offering under that agreement. At this time, we have no further comment."

Game: Major League Baseball 2K12 Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 12 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Neolithic @ 05/22/12 04:47 PM
I wouldn't put it in stone that it's over with. But that is not a good sign. :/

# 2 DarkManX1 @ 05/22/12 05:52 PM
Kotaku is reporting that Take Two has confirmed that 2K12 is the last in the series. Apparently someone from Take Two confirmed it.

# 3 mva5580 @ 05/22/12 05:52 PM
Yep, Take Two just confirmed it themselves.

# 4 TexasBorn1 @ 05/22/12 06:15 PM
Hopefully someone steps up to the plate or else 360 owners will have no baseball games.

# 5 Yeats @ 05/22/12 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBorn1
Hopefully someone steps up to the plate or else 360 owners will have no baseball games.
Which is why I switched to the PC version for this game. With the mods and roster editors that are available, the 2K series can live on for years. Not worried in the least if 2K12 is the last game.

# 6 Gotmadskillzson @ 05/22/12 06:34 PM
Wow.......I guess that means EA will go back to making baseball games then. Since 2K exclusive deal ends this year anyway.

# 7 Spanky @ 05/22/12 06:42 PM
Good. It's about time they aborted this mess.

Clearly, no game company has repeatedly failed in its efforts with one particular title than 2k with baseball. A bad product never improved appreciably over many years. It was a colossal failure by the company for buying the exclusive MLB third party license and a failure by the developers for their inability to put out an acceptable game by next-gen standards.

It's a title that looked bad and played bad. When you lag that far behind the competition, you have failed miserably. And that is inexcusable when you are the only alternative in a given sport for a particular platform.

The game looked bad year after year, and it played worse.

Good riddance. And don't let the gate to the bullpen hit you in the rear on the way out, 2k.

# 8 TheBadOwl @ 05/22/12 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBorn1
Hopefully we get the show. That will be a first-day buy every year for me.

# 9 woz411 @ 05/22/12 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBadOwl
don't bother wishing, its a PS3 exclusive, like Halo is to the 360

# 10 bcruise @ 05/22/12 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBadOwl
You're aware of who makes The Show, right? There might be a slight conflict of interest in bringing it to Microsoft's platform, whether the 2k series exists or not.

Sad day, if this news is true. Never want to see a competitor just leave the market, especially when it leaves an entire console's playerbase completely high and dry.

# 11 davis420 @ 05/22/12 07:08 PM
I just HOPE that 2K puts together a decent patch to make the game stay playable.

# 12 PVarck31 @ 05/22/12 07:16 PM
Sad day for sports gaming. Even though the game could never seem to get out of its own way, anytime a sports game is canceled its bad for gamers imo.

Hopefully EA jumps back in with MVP. 360 owners certainly deserve a baseball game.

# 13 pietasterp @ 05/22/12 07:30 PM
And the inexorable death-spiral of a vibrant, innovative, competitive sports gaming landscape continues the path it started on in 2005....

# 14 Jukeman @ 05/22/12 07:34 PM
SMH.

10x's

# 15 Cabke @ 05/22/12 07:34 PM
While it wasn't a great game, it was at least something for 360 guys. It'd be cool for EA to bring back MVP, but it'd be really neat for someone like Konami to come out with something. I doubt EA will go for the exclusive, so this may introduce a couple competitors.

# 16 redsrule @ 05/22/12 07:36 PM
Hopefully EA gets in the game, MVP 05 is still my favorite baseball game.
It would be amazing if they just updated graphics/ teams and kept the core from that game in.
Maybe add a my player mode too.

# 17 bkrich83 @ 05/22/12 07:37 PM
Who didn't see this coming.

2k baseball needed to die because quite frankly it was a bad game, but as was said earlier any time a sports game dies it's not a good thing for the consumers.

It's seems unlikely there's a 360 game next year, as I don't see any way EA or any other developer could get a quality baseball title to market in time.

# 18 redsrule @ 05/22/12 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Who didn't see this coming.

2k baseball needed to die because quite frankly it was a bad game, but as was said earlier any time a sports game dies it's not a good thing for the consumers.

It's seems unlikely there's a 360 game next year, as I don't see any way EA or any other developer could get a quality baseball title to market in time.
Agreed, unless they already started work on a baseball game since this has been foreshadowed for a while.

# 19 Bp2 Triz @ 05/22/12 07:39 PM
hahaha cya 2k.. ill be enjoying the show like always

# 20 Neolithic @ 05/22/12 07:42 PM
It's been the series I've always WANTED to love, and there were aspects of the game that I did indeed love more than The Show. But it could never put all the pieces together well enough to be the game I wanted it to be. I'd love to see 2k try their hand at the football industry again when the chance comes about down the road. Alas, I think 2k is a 1 trick pony now with the NBA series, at least their pony is a good one.

« Previous12345Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.