Home
NHL 13 News Post

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 gopher_guy @ 06/06/12 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg713
Not trying to burst anyones bubble but I'm 99% sure they aren't touching the celebrations this year. I remember watching an interview and developers said that nothing new would be added this year for celebrations.

.. same goes for first person fighting which is a huge let down as well
Ugh, that sucks............

# 82 bwiggy33 @ 06/06/12 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDeicide
I know what you mean im sure its a fine line to balance but when they bring up a situation like the 2 on 1 and they mentioned twice now how the goalie will cheat a little its kinda baffling to me.
On the one hand they say "authentic", "true to the game" but goalies correct me if im wrong, would you really cheat in that scenario ? is it true? i guess human nature may not let you rely 100% on your d man to take the pass.
I dunno just seems a very minor detail to be pointing out especially in that it could be completely wrong fundamentally.

Im really looking forward to seeing some more stuff .
I've been a goalie since I was 5 so I know the position extremely well. On a 2 on 1 you and your D man are supposed to have the mindset of the goalie takes the shooter. To me that's how it should be played, but to me the best goalies are the ones who are able to do that but at the same time are able to react and make a great save if a pass were to go across. Johnathan Quick is a great example of doing this. This is what separates the greatest goalies from just the mediocre to good goalies. The best goalies never blame their defenseman because they have the mindset they can stop anything. Sure there are goals that aren't your fault, but ultimately guys like Lundqvist should have an idea of why the puck went in and what he did wrong.

Now let's say there's a passing play back door like they've shown in a couple videos, specifically the Hockey IQ one. I believe a goalie does need to cheat a little bit but it all depends on how good a goalie trusts his D-Men. The reason for cheating is because they have to travel a pretty far distance (depending on the how far out the goalie is) in a split second because passes are so quick. Now that goalies are bigger (Lundqvist or Rinne) they only play at the top of the crease because they can take up a crap load of net without coming out as far. This gives them a much smaller distance to travel so cheating may not be needed quite as much. In a situation like Quick he comes out of the net more because he's smaller. This means he has to react much quicker and at the same time cheat a little bit so he gets to the back post for the back door pass. He's a goalie who can just tell if the player is going to pass or not.

Overall it truly depends on the goalie. Every goalie/goalie coach is going to have their own theories and what not. To me it just depends on the goalies size and positioning. So truly if they were going to make the goalies realistic in this game, they would ultimately break each goalie down and have them play like their real life counterpart rather than them all just playing the same way. This will most likely never be done because at this point we are still having a hard time picking out Crosby over Raffi Torres in the game. I wish this would get done someday because goalies are the most unique position in any sport. In fact I'm not even sure why EA separates the goalies with Hybrid, Butterfly, and Standup. They don't mean anything or play any different in the game. It kind of sucks because you have guys like Brodeur and Thomas who play so differently compared to these big newer age goalies who rely on pure fundamentals rather than throwing whatever body part they can at the puck. It would just really make this game so much fresher and unique if you could tell the goalies who play differently than the others.

# 83 JezFranco @ 06/07/12 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
The stopping while dekeing was to counteract the fact you could score about 90% of the time on breakaways with the same move. However players do naturally slow down IRL when they are deking...
To me I hope the dekes don't slow you down, but rather that the faster you go the smaller chance to succeed.
Like we've seen in a few videos already, and the team have mentioned it; if your going on top speed your shots will likely miss target, and you'll lose the puck easy if engaged.
I hope the deking works in the same way.

If they are now introducing a whole new skating engine, and the whole "top end speed" thingy it'd be a shame if I was on a 1-on-1 breakaway, and trying to use my speed to get past the defender, deke, and my player automatically slows down.
No... I'd rather he kept the speed, but lost the puck due to not being able to control the deke at full speed.

If I wanted to, I could let go of the left stick to start gliding, getting in control and then start the deke.

That way I have an option, and the control is on me.

# 84 bwiggy33 @ 06/07/12 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezFranco
To me I hope the dekes don't slow you down, but rather that the faster you go the smaller chance to succeed.
Like we've seen in a few videos already, and the team have mentioned it; if your going on top speed your shots will likely miss target, and you'll lose the puck easy if engaged.
I hope the deking works in the same way.

If they are now introducing a whole new skating engine, and the whole "top end speed" thingy it'd be a shame if I was on a 1-on-1 breakaway, and trying to use my speed to get past the defender, deke, and my player automatically slows down.
No... I'd rather he kept the speed, but lost the puck due to not being able to control the deke at full speed.

If I wanted to, I could let go of the left stick to start gliding, getting in control and then start the deke.

That way I have an option, and the control is on me.
Yep that's exactly what I want. We need to feel like we are fully in control of the player otherwise this skating engine won't work. We shall see. We won't know until we at least see some true gameplay and try it out for ourselves in the demo. It's definitely going to put a new dynamic in the game.

# 85 gopher_guy @ 06/07/12 06:24 PM
When do actual gameplay videos usually start surfacing?

# 86 Fiddy @ 06/08/12 10:40 AM
i cant believe nobody took quick video clips on the E3 floor of NHL 13..

# 87 JimmyDeicide @ 06/08/12 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
i cant believe nobody took quick video clips on the E3 floor of NHL 13..
I know where are they?

# 88 Fiddy @ 06/08/12 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDeicide
I know where are they?
i dunno lol, i keep hoping something pops up.

also, i was really disappointed that the 3 interview videos they did focused on the same info they released with the community day video.

i know we have a long way til release, but they hyped it up about being at E3 but we really didnt get any new info.

would have been great if they could have expanded on the GM Connected, just like Madden did.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.