Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

If you pre-order NBA 2K13 for PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 through Amazon, you will receive access to NBA All Star Game content, including the Sprite Slam Dunk Contest, Three Point Contest, Rising Stars Challenge Game, and the NBA All Star Game.

2K Sports Announces NBA® 2K13’s Triumphant Return to Virtual Hardwood on October 2, 2012

Fans to receive NBA All-Star add-on content presented by Sprite
with pre-order purchase, including all-new Sprite Slam Dunk Contest mode

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May. 30, 2012-- 2K Sports today announced that NBA® 2K13, the next installment of the top-rated NBA video game simulation franchise* for twelve straight years and the follow-up to the award-winning NBA 2K12, will be available on Tuesday, October 2, 2012 in North America and October 5, 2012 internationally for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, Wii™ system and Windows PC. A Wii U™ version of NBA® 2K13 will be available in the launch window, at a later date.

Fans that pre-order NBA 2K13 for the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 will receive a new downloadable NBA All-Star content package presented by Sprite. This add-on content will be set in Houston, the site of the 2013 NBA All-Star Game and will allow fans to stage their own NBA All-Star Game, including three NBA All-Star events - the Foot Locker Three Point Shootout, BBVA Rising Stars Challenge, and the Sprite Slam Dunk Contest featuring all-new intuitive, pick-up-and-play controls.

“The NBA All-Star package is our way saying ‘thank you’ to fans for their ongoing love of the NBA 2K series,” said Jason Argent, vice president of marketing for 2K Sports. “This content provides a ton of depth and value to our fans, and it’s just the beginning of a lot of big news about NBA® 2K13.”

Gamers can pit the NBA’s current superstars against classic players in both the Foot Locker Three Point Shootout and Sprite Slam Dunk Contest. Rosters for both the BBVA Rising Stars Challenge and 2013 NBA All-Star Game will feature the 2012 All-Stars, with dynamic updates to the 2013 rosters once the participants are announced.

Developed by Visual Concepts, a 2K Sports studio, NBA 2K13 is not yet rated by the ESRB and will be available on October 2, 2012 in North America and October 5, 2012 internationally. The Wii U version of the title will be available during the holiday season. Fans are encouraged to pre-order now at participating retailers in order to receive the NBA All-Star content on day one at no extra cost.

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Alaeddin @ 05/30/12 10:44 AM
What the hell? Why is content like this never available for PC?! We already missed out on the Legends DLC in 2k12.

# 42 greenegt @ 05/30/12 10:45 AM
I'll take it. Better than it not being in the game. I'll hold off on the pre-order though, until I play the demos for both NBA games this year.

# 43 videobastard @ 05/30/12 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapStar215
Y'all act like they get more money out of you by reserving a game! What's the big deal of a $5 deposit off the purchase price of a game you're going to buy?

So in the event that someone purchases 2k13 at a later date for their personal reasons they most likely will be subjected to paying $5 for dlc allstar weekend. Its more about the principle then the money.

# 44 BRxSKINSx @ 05/30/12 10:50 AM
Sigh.... All-Star Weekend....? It SOUNDS good, BUT it's nuthin if we don't get the mode in online leagues.... It also sucks that u gotta pre-order thru amazon.com ... It's a start...but we (2k fans) want more.... I'll settle for Crew Mode though....👍....

# 45 Brock @ 05/30/12 10:56 AM
Honestly if it's not available other than pre-order, or both online and offline association, I don't see what the fuss is all about.

# 46 Dice @ 05/30/12 10:56 AM
This is the big news? Not impressed.

# 47 luda06 @ 05/30/12 10:57 AM
Is this a joke? You take out features from previous installments, and make an announcement to bring it back, but only as pre-order DLC?

This is almost an insult.

# 48 KSOR24 @ 05/30/12 11:00 AM
That sucks because I never pre-order games. Especially with 2K because I just wait for Black Friday which is only about 2 months away and I get a good deal on the game and I'll have already heard tons of feedback on the game.

If this isn't integrated with my player mode then I'm going to be pissed. I only play my player or association; I never play a quick game or blacktop because I don't feel like I gained anything, it doesn't count for a win or loss on my record or I don't get any skill points etc. *Sigh*

# 49 blues rocker @ 05/30/12 11:04 AM
meh...i have no interest in the dunk contest or 3-pt contest...so it doesn't really bother me that it's not included - it's filler. I just want the main gameplay to have minimal frustration.

# 50 VDusen04 @ 05/30/12 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff Ryder
I hope this has full Association integration. I also imagine that 2k will make this purchasable after the game comes out. More ways to get money.
It's definitely open to interpretation but I'm with you there. When I read, "Fans are encouraged to pre-order now at participating retailers in order to receive the NBA All-Star content on day one at no extra cost" I took that as 2K possibly stating those who did not pre-order may still be able to acquire the All-Star content but at extra cost.

I definitely like the idea of an All-Star Weekend, but I'm skeptical of it being add-on content. I don't like the possible idea of it being a stand alone mode, like the Legends Showcase DLC was last year. As many of you know, the Legends Showcase was not at all integrated into NBA 2K12. Selecting the Legends DLC icon more or less felt like one was entering another game. This may have not been a huge issue for the 2K12 DLC since the mode mostly had to do with streetball, but All-Star Weekend is something I feel should be fully integrated into all facets of 2K13.

I'm hopeful 2K13 has a way of incorporating All-Star Weekend into one's Association/MyPlayer for those who purchase it, but it seems like a somewhat complicated procedure at the current time. Could a game allow one user to encounter a true All-Star Weekend in-season but not another (to account for one buying the content but not the other)? Seems like a recipe for glitching.

Also, with the real life NBA Dunk Contest being so unbelievably jacked up in terms of rules, regulations, and judging, I'll be curious as to how 2K chooses to tackle their new interpretation. I'm hopeful there's some innovation that pushes the new dunk contest beyond the similar iterations we've seen from 2K since 2008.

# 51 spankdatazz22 @ 05/30/12 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmnm247
I guess I am just a depressing guy but I don't see how this is a major announcement at all. It is a reskinned version of the dunk contest and 3 point contest that they took out of 2k12. Very depressing and hardly a major announcement in my opinion. Is this what Ronnie was hyping or is there another announcement coming?
Some of you guys' expectations seem out of whack. Sadly a few years ago the general sentiment on these boards was that 2K needed to remove Blacktop mode outright because it served no purpose to them, in part because it wasn't All-Star weekend affiliated. Here's a thread referencing some of those views:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...mode-game.html

They do the All-Star weekend thing that people wanted and now it's either not enough or it's chastised by some because it's tied to a preorder. Which is no different than what pretty much every other game does, giving incentive to preordering a title. ASW isn't a big deal to me either way so the announcement doesn't affect me much. But I do think people should show some perspective of what NBA2K offers content-wise versus every other sports game, both from a core offering and DLC offering. It's like people here are very unwilling to give 2K the leeway they'll give other developers in trying to leverage content for extra $$$ and I don't understand why that's the case.

# 52 Pirate @ 05/30/12 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaddupCouzin
On the psp, but not the Vita?
Unbelievable

# 53 deetoman @ 05/30/12 11:17 AM
I'm back just in time for complaining and bashing season......

Anyway I will wait for more info to judge this...

# 54 VDusen04 @ 05/30/12 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Some of you guys' expectations seem out of whack. Sadly a few years ago the general sentiment on these boards was that 2K needed to remove Blacktop mode outright because it served no purpose to them, in part because it wasn't All-Star weekend affiliated. Here's a thread referencing some of those views:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...mode-game.html

They do the All-Star weekend thing that people wanted and now it's either not enough or it's chastised by some because it's tied to a preorder. Which is no different than what pretty much every other game does, giving incentive to preordering a title. ASW isn't a big deal to me either way so the announcement doesn't affect me much. But I do think people should show some perspective of what NBA2K offers content-wise versus every other sports game, both from a core offering and DLC offering. It's like people here are very unwilling to give 2K the leeway they'll give other developers in trying to leverage content for extra $$$ and I don't understand why that's the case.
I'm with you on the majority of your points. I'm pretty excited about the inclusion of a legitimate All-Star Weekend. If nothing else, this puts to rest that strange, word-of-mouth rumor floating around here for years stating EA Sports somehow bought the rights to host the Dunk Contest indoors (http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-question.html).

I feel my only objection would be a rightful one, and that'd be if the All-Star Weekend content was stand-alone and not integrated into any other modes. I think the point of most people's requests for an All-Star Weekend was for the ability to play it during All-Star Weekend, whether that be in their Season, My Player Mode, or Association. I think it'll be a fun addition regardless (as I had a blast with NBA Live's All-Star modes) but if the only reason it's not incorporated into the rest of the game is because 2K decided to make it downloadable content, I'd be a little bummed.

# 55 JerzeyReign @ 05/30/12 11:27 AM
Maybe I play a different 2k but I don't recall them recently having the OFFICIAL NBA All Star events (dunk and 3pt) -- pretty sure EA had that locked down.

Them having the ability to have THE REAL All Star contests is a plus for me. Now if they implement that ol' Live way of dunking in it, I'd be even happier.

# 56 nosaints26 @ 05/30/12 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLosophy
Awesome....they are re-adding features from previous 2K games that were taken out for no apparent reason. I'm so stoked.

First major announcement about 2k13 is something that required 0% innovation. Just more reason to NOT pre-order this game.
Anybody know if EA had the rights to the Weekend festivities, sorta barrring 2K from making full use and including the mode? I think they did.

# 57 VDusen04 @ 05/30/12 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaints26
Anybody know if EA had the rights to the Weekend festivities, sorta barrring 2K from making full use and including the mode? I think they did.
There's never been any evidence to suggest as such. To put it simply, 2K has offered every All-Star Weekend event Live ever has. 2K even used the official event names (T-Mobile Rookie Game, Sprite Slam Dunk Contest). Literally the only thing that veered from the path was 2K's choice to place the dunk contest and 3pt. shootout in an outdoor setting. Had EA owned some sort of Weekend rights, 2K would not have been able to feature the All-Star Game, Rookie Game, All-Star court, All-Star jerseys, Sprite Slam Dunk, T-Mobile Rookie Game, and 3pt. Point Shootout. It would have been borderline non-sensical if EA had somehow agreed to sign a contract that allowed 2K to offer 97% of All-Star Weekend as long as two of the events were held outside.

# 58 nosaints26 @ 05/30/12 11:42 AM
Something tells me they'll also have this available as regular DLC, maybe even convert it to a regular part of the game and association if people holler enough. I don't really care either way though, it's not a huge announcement and I think most people could do without.

# 59 22cedric @ 05/30/12 11:43 AM
Now Gamestop is listing you can get NBA All Star Weekend if you preorder NBA 2K13.

# 60 gdh5503 @ 05/30/12 11:45 AM
This is wack in all honesty. If you can pit legends against current NBA players then that lets me know that this is not something that is going to be implemented into your season or Association mode. It is going to be like Legends Showcase just plastered in All Star Weekend.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.