Home
NCAA Football 13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

The team started a Dynasty to showcase what scouting looks like when you start a Dynasty.

Game: NCAA Football 13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 60 - View All
NCAA Football 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 jfsolo @ 05/31/12 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2th3m1th
the one thing i dont like the the overall being shown... why not just let us scout and then see what they come in at? Honestly it makes me feel like EA thinks we are dumb, but looking at scouted attribute numbers we have a general idea what the player is going to be.
It's not that they think that we're dumb, it's just that they're always going to try to make little changes here and there that they hope will make things less daunting to newcomers to the mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith.0
That's what I mean. That's assuming, of course, that all of the 1, 2, and 3* "Gems" are not uncovered by larger programs each season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramminyou
That's my only real concern. I'm afraid the game might be programmed such that the CPU schools "know" who the gems and busts are before scouting in an attempt to create artificial competition. I don't want to put a 2* HB from Washington on my board in a Wazzu dynasty only to find that Texas, Wisconson and Oregon have all scouted and offered him by Week 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
That is my main concern too.
I want to see 4 or 5 star schools miss on 4 or 5 star players badly. It could have a big effect facing a team like Alabama and this miss out on a a few players. For example, them missing on a 5 star CB when there depth is bad. They would give up alot of TDs.

Like you said, I dont want to see a 3 star player from Wyoming have offers from Alabama and Florida just because he is a gem. Just like I dont want to see a team like Florida not go after a 5 star RB from Florida because they know he is a bust, especially if they have a major need at RB.

This could either a great feature of half-***ed feature. I wouldnt mind missing on a good player. I wouldnt want to miss on a player, but it could be a realistic thing. Like, I would get happy when I get a 5 star QB as a lower school without scouting him. I then realize that he is a bust and that sets me back another 2-3 seasons.
My guess is that the top schools will still primarily go after mostly 4 and 5 star prospects at first. With a few exceptions of course, I'm guessing that all the 5 stars who end up being busts, are still going to be 70+ OVR players.

I'm thinking that most of the big time gems in up on the teams who are in the mid tier of NCAA, the schools ranked 30 to 60.

As has been mentioned above, if we see 4 or 5 Southern powers, going after a 3 star player from the North West, then that'll be evidence of CPU omniscience, but I don't expect them to make that mistake.

My play style lets me get by without great talent on offense, so I'll be spending most of my scouting time looking for Urlacher types on defense.

# 42 Ramminyou @ 05/31/12 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
Things I liked:

1) Only 20 hours of scouting. That'll make it nearly impossible to get a 100% reveal on multiple recruits. If you noticed, it'll take a good 2-4 hours to get 100% on every recruit. You *might* be able to get 100% on 5 guys, and that's if they're all QBs or Safety's - guys with fewer "scoutable" abilities. I mean, the guy only has 7 guys on his list and has only 13 hours left. Hopefully that 20 hours doesn't reset every week though. That'd be horrible.

2) You can see your position needs in the Search area. I don't remember if it was there in NCAA '12 or not, if it was, my bad. I haven't played '12 since March.

3) It's going to feel really good scouting a 3-star QB and hearing the "green arrow noise" over and over again when you're at a small school, showing that you found a gem.

4) They show you the 40 time, the Bench Press and Squat numbers on the Recruit List. I don't believe that's been there before. Once again, haven't played NCAA in a few months and my memory sucks.

5) I do like how that first ATH he scouted was good at both Route Running AND Zone/Man Coverage. That's probably one of those "Triple Threat" guys they talked about. Hopefully every ATH isn't a Triple Threat guy.....

Things I didn't like:

1) The same song is playing that has played for the past few years. BRING BACK FIGHT SONGS IN THE MENUS. I don't enjoy having to turn on my own music while gaming.

2) SPARQ. I hate SPARQ. I don't like seeing a bunch of ATH/WR/HB on the top of the list every season due to SPARQ rating on athleticism. But at least there was a Tackle up there and he was 6'7". I got tired of seeing 6'3" Tackles.

3) Menu Loading. Can't I go from the "Find a Player" area directly to the Recruiting board? Hopefully the loading time goes down when I download the game to the XBOX.
You get 3 hours per week after the preseason to scout.

# 43 jfsolo @ 05/31/12 07:28 PM
It surprises me that everyone doesn't automatically mute the menu music in all sports games from day one. Even if it were all my favorite groups/artists, I would still mute it instantaneously, Getting my Dynasty on is SERIOUS and SOBERING business, no time for tunes.

# 44 illwill10 @ 05/31/12 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
My guess is that the top schools will still primarily go after mostly 4 and 5 star prospects at first. With a few exceptions of course, I'm guessing that all the 5 stars who end up being busts, are still going to be 70+ OVR players.

I'm thinking that most of the big time gems in up on the teams who are in the mid tier of NCAA, the schools ranked 30 to 60.

As has been mentioned above, if we see 4 or 5 Southern powers, going after a 3 star player from the North West, then that'll be evidence of CPU omniscience, but I don't expect them to make that mistake.

My play style lets me get by without great talent on offense, so I'll be spending most of my scouting time looking for Urlacher types on defense.
I read that the ratings can swing up to 20+(I think 22) points.

I know what schools I will play as, I dont know which one I will which side of the ball I want to play as first. I wish the DLine play was better. I would love to get a 2-3 DE that becomes a gem. But, I might not even scout DEs if they cant get pressure.

# 45 tested29 @ 05/31/12 07:42 PM
This video kinda made my day. I've been hoping see something like this since they started Quick Clip Thursday.

Honestly, I've given up on recruiting in my dynasties in '12, but this gives me hope. During year 4 of my latest dynasty I turned it over to the computer due to frustration. It's now year 21 and I haven't regretted that decision. If you set up recruiting and let the computer know what you want, the computer more often then not delivers. Plus, this saves me the frustration of seeing a coveted 4 star, 4.52 forty QB have me as his number 1 school all year, but the week after I have him visit he decides to soft commit to his second place school. Completely disregarding he just had an A+ visit to my school. But if that's not bad enough, then the following week he commits to his second place school despite the fact they did not offer, he did not visit and they were 250+ points behind me. I see this far too often for recruiting to be enjoyable anymore. Sigh.

But heres hope that has been toned down and with the latest improvements EA has added, recruiting will once again be something I do.

# 46 jfsolo @ 05/31/12 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
I read that the ratings can swing up to 20+(I think 22) points.

I know what schools I will play as, I dont know which one I will which side of the ball I want to play as first. I wish the DLine play was better. I would love to get a 2-3 DE that becomes a gem. But, I might not even scout DEs if they cant get pressure.
We all know that the interaction and animations don't allow the DE's to succeed in a way that is visually compatible with what we see in real life, but in my games the better rated DE's are able to make more plays than lower rated players, so it's totally worth it to look for those gems at DE and the other positions on D.

Yeah, I read about the potential for that big time ratings swing too, but my guess is that only a few players each year will have those kinds of swings.

# 47 illwill10 @ 05/31/12 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
We all know that the interaction and animations don't allow the DE's to succeed in a way that is visually compatible with what we see in real life, but in my games the better rated DE's are able to make more plays than lower rated players, so it's totally worth it to look for those gems at DE and the other positions on D.
I like to blitz like crazy. I like moving around LBs and DE around. So, I might still go for DEs in recruiting, but I might move them around alot to get pressure.

# 48 jfsolo @ 05/31/12 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDAWG89
lol a 6'0 220lb RB that runs a 4.26
Those are basically Bo Jackson numbers.

# 49 khaliib @ 05/31/12 08:30 PM
Cleaner, but much like last year, I spent little time with this aspect due to ratings outside of Speed/Acc having little impact on gameplay!!!

Not much difference in AI, gameplay wise, from a 1 Star player or 5 Star Blue Chip player!
Until the AI displays an actual in-game difference between player's, Recruiting aspect will have little meaning and gamer's will skip and just edit the player's once on their team.

That's not bashing/complaining, it's just what it is until something is actually done to make it meaniful and/or making it worth the time to spend recruiting because because it actually impacts AI Gameplay due to the type of player(s) on the team!

What's up with the 95'ish SPD/ACC again?
What does STR mean in the game if a SS is rated in the 60's?
-->what's the in-game/gameplay impact of this rating?

I wish we had access to recruit editing before a player is placed on a team's roster to make edits.

Pre-Editing like in all other sports games that are not football.

I still don't know who this suggestion would be routed through, as most gamers don't agree with how EA has coded in-game generated recruit ratings and it's just time the game at least meet some of the "Basic" sports game feature standards currently in the genre.

Side note:
Madden's DPP feature would help this aspect of the game greatly, esp if player's had a Consistency and Confidence Rating that paralleled their Star Rating.

-->Teams like San Jose St with mostly 1-2 Star player's would still have a chance at an upset, but Consistency of type player's (1-2 Star) would prevent the AI Team from performing like it's Alabama.
(which is somewhat how the game is now, unless '13 is different)

-->While teams like Alabama would perform at a consistant level from game to game due to having such player's on the roster with high ratings in these area's.

-->It could even be a Letter Grade for each of these two Ratings.
5 Stars matched to 5 Letter Grades.

Just a thought to make Recruiting mean something gameplay wise.
Maybe just another idea to make things worste, but we need something!

# 50 Paulinho @ 05/31/12 09:30 PM
I am so stoked for NCAA this year. Hoping to join a quality Online Dynasty where the recruiting should really shine.

# 51 xcanadaman9x @ 05/31/12 10:46 PM
Quote:
He is a 5* #1 HB. Maybe this guy is the white Adrian Peterson and we should be getting him in Heisman mode instead of Matt Leinart.

# 52 CM Hooe @ 05/31/12 11:01 PM
So someone jog my memory as to how this works... it appears you get 20 hours to scout for the entirety of the regular season, and someone in this thread said three hours per week in the offseason.

Can ratings change more than once even after they have been initially revealed? That is, can a scout's first pass on a player's exact speed rating be wrong?

# 53 TheBadOwl @ 05/31/12 11:31 PM
Quote:
And he's white.

Which reminds me, I don't think I ever saw a white running back in NCAA 12 or 11. And in NCAA 12, there were rarely 5* defensive ends, even though a defensive end is almost always the #1 recruit each year.

# 54 illwill10 @ 06/01/12 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
So someone jog my memory as to how this works... it appears you get 20 hours to scout for the preseason and someone in this thread said three hours per week in the offseason.

Can ratings change more than once even after they have been initially revealed? That is, can a scout's first pass on a player's exact speed rating be wrong?
Fixed it for you

# 55 DerkontheOS @ 06/01/12 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
Cleaner, but much like last year, I spent little time with this aspect due to ratings outside of Speed/Acc having little impact on gameplay!!!

Not much difference in AI, gameplay wise, from a 1 Star player or 5 Star Blue Chip player!
Until the AI displays an actual in-game difference between player's, Recruiting aspect will have little meaning and gamer's will skip and just edit the player's once on their team.

That's not bashing/complaining, it's just what it is until something is actually done to make it meaniful and/or making it worth the time to spend recruiting because because it actually impacts AI Gameplay due to the type of player(s) on the team!

What's up with the 95'ish SPD/ACC again?
What does STR mean in the game if a SS is rated in the 60's?
-->what's the in-game/gameplay impact of this rating?

I wish we had access to recruit editing before a player is placed on a team's roster to make edits.

Pre-Editing like in all other sports games that are not football.

I still don't know who this suggestion would be routed through, as most gamers don't agree with how EA has coded in-game generated recruit ratings and it's just time the game at least meet some of the "Basic" sports game feature standards currently in the genre.

Side note:
Madden's DPP feature would help this aspect of the game greatly, esp if player's had a Consistency and Confidence Rating that paralleled their Star Rating.

-->Teams like San Jose St with mostly 1-2 Star player's would still have a chance at an upset, but Consistency of type player's (1-2 Star) would prevent the AI Team from performing like it's Alabama.
(which is somewhat how the game is now, unless '13 is different)

-->While teams like Alabama would perform at a consistant level from game to game due to having such player's on the roster with high ratings in these area's.

-->It could even be a Letter Grade for each of these two Ratings.
5 Stars matched to 5 Letter Grades.

Just a thought to make Recruiting mean something gameplay wise.
Maybe just another idea to make things worste, but we need something!
I was thinking along the same line.... Every time I saw ball carrying vision pop up I was like," well that doesn't mean ****."

# 56 qdog @ 06/01/12 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparrish
Why in the word does a WR have a carrying rating of 94 and a spin move rating of 46?
because it could mean he dont fumble but has no moves to get away from the defender

# 57 KushNstien @ 06/01/12 02:06 AM
Pretty happy to see this, but like others said I hope the CPU knows the Gems & Bust.

# 58 Colt45 @ 06/01/12 02:15 AM
Holy ****, they FINALLY fixed prospect search. Did you see this guy search for 3 star QBs and ONLY get the results back that actually MATCHED his search criteria???!? I seriously just shat myself.

# 59 beelo @ 06/01/12 03:57 AM
This looks cool, would love to know that sub sliders are fixed or not.

# 60 cparrish @ 06/01/12 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
Can't stand the menu music this game has had the past few years. Talk about boring. I'd rahter them do EA trax. I dont need to hear the same 10 generic sounding fight songs or this same song we got now on constant repeat.
That's why you have your iPod hooked into your Xbox/PS3

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.