Home
Madden NFL 13 News Post

It all seemed too good to be true.

Now after this week's bombshells that you cannot edit players in connected careers or play any other games in the mode other than your own, it seems like the Madden team is once again forcing you to play your game their way. To me, this is a huge problem. Others of you? Maybe not so much. But let's hear it: Has the 'closed' nature of Connected Careers turned you away and/or cooled your enthusiasm about Madden NFL 13?

Sound off!

Game: Madden NFL 13Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 77 - View All
Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 brahmagoul @ 06/13/12 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
I'm more amazed at how screwed up the gameplay still is and this is the issue that gets the most attention? Locomotion, basic gap assignments and other on field issues trump this for me. However I do not blame the folks who are upset for being so. I feel their pain.
Great point. I look back and also laugh at end results, such as a Steelers-Ravens game with the final score of 42-38. Things like that made me start thinking, skipping a year might be a good thing.

# 62 Jrocc23 @ 06/13/12 02:02 PM
Turned off. This info and when I read you cannot import draft classes made me cancel both Madden and NCAA preorders.

# 63 Kaiser Wilhelm @ 06/13/12 02:02 PM
I don't know. I might get it as I don't use the two aforementioned features but I do play single console multiplayer which is really going to hurt.

I guess it depends if I can round up enough friends to actually play the game online for an extended period and not just one and done guys.

Still while I like CCM as a concept it just seems they did a poor job in the initial design stage. The biggest blow was still hearing that the UI was the reason multiple team control was left out. How does one let alone a group make an oversight like that?

It just seems they put their heads up their you know whats with the design. If the feature is a fragile as they suggest and they "want to do it right," then we may not see some of our favorite features return for a few years.

# 64 kackle85 @ 06/13/12 02:04 PM
I can't decide yet....If I here anymore bad news I might have to cancel my pre-order and go with NCAA 13 even without the Infinity Engine. After watching some videos of the new Madden it didnt look to me like the new engine was making that big of a difference anyway. Of course its hard to tell without actually having controller in hand.

# 65 JJT @ 06/13/12 02:10 PM
All I like to do with sports games is play the superstar mode. So this doesn't really affect me. I can see how others are very pissed off though.

# 66 speedy9386 @ 06/13/12 02:11 PM
I don't really use the editing and I defininitely don't use fantasy draft so I'm basically just disappointed with the still crappy gameplay and the fact that there's no offline multiplayer.

# 67 alifeincomplete @ 06/13/12 02:15 PM
I am deeply saddened. I may back off my initial hardline response from yesterday -- that is, I will not buy the game because of the lack of editing -- but I am sorely disappointed in the loss of user's rights. It is in my opinion that this is an affront to all Madden players, whether they utilize these features or not, and should be regarded as a deep, personal insult to all users.

However, I am deeply excited about the Infinity Engine's possibilities and I like the unique approach of storytelling behind CCM. I just wish that CCM hadn't come at the cost of crippling all forms of customization.

# 68 K_GUN @ 06/13/12 02:15 PM
I'm a grown-arse man (41)........I just cant get that bent over videogames anymore...

..perhaps my time is coming to an end here at OS....sure has been rather interesting these past 10 years...

# 69 vannwolfhawk @ 06/13/12 02:18 PM
Yes I am disappointed! It always disappoints me and confuses me why they take things out. The more options for users the better! They took away the way I like to play. I will test demo before I buy this year and I am 50/50 whether I do or not. I have bought EVERY madden since the first. This could be my first. It will really depend on online leagues and how well that is implemented and if i can get into a solid ran league otherwise no need to buy it as I can't play the game the way is like to! :-(

# 70 AiDub @ 06/13/12 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies67
What in the world? There's no offline multiplayer? That can't be true.
He means offline multiplayer for franchise mode. I'm sure you can still play with multiple users in "Play Now" mode.

# 71 kingcrf @ 06/13/12 02:20 PM
if i hadnt played it at e3 then i would turn away but because i have i feel its impossible to play any game without physics(they are physics) so this is really my only option

# 72 jfsolo @ 06/13/12 02:22 PM
As I said in the "buy or no buy" thread, the game lines up perfectly with my playstyle, so these unfortunate design decisions won't hurt my enjoyment of the game.

# 73 Jrocc23 @ 06/13/12 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurghFan
Yep, though no imported draft classes from NCAA was more of a turn off than no editing/not being able to play other games. For me it's all about importing my NCAA Draft classes and drafting my Pitt players to the Steelers and trying to develop them. That being said, I'm very strongly leaning toward just sticking to Madden 12 and continuing my franchise there with my NCAA 12 draft classes.
Exactly what I am going to do.

# 74 gjb @ 06/13/12 02:24 PM
I'm not turned off, yet disappointed that the normal options are not available. At the very least, I'd like to see there be an old school season mode with full playability of any team/game & the ability to edit players until CCM is fully operational.

# 75 kingcrf @ 06/13/12 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feldman011teen
I'm going to play franchise, like i've done for 15 years. I don't care about this mode.
this is franchise mode there is no regular franchise

# 76 AiDub @ 06/13/12 02:26 PM
I'm actually not disappointed in what is missing versus last year. I don't use multiple teams in franchise mode and I don't usually edit rosters. I also realize the difficulties and the amount of time it takes to fully develop a new engine and write code as I used to work in the video game industry. I am glad that EA is starting to make bigger changes to something that has needed it for a long time. They just need a bit more time to refine things and I definitely think that what is missing this year, will be in the game last year. This same thing happened when they developed the first Madden for the "Next Gen" consoles.

# 77 bukktown @ 06/13/12 02:26 PM
I Haven't given a care about Madden's franchise mode since 2005.

But this new thing sounds cool

# 78 speedy9386 @ 06/13/12 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
I have. Am I allowed to be disappointed?
Pretty much everyone else is so...

# 79 SmittyD81 @ 06/13/12 02:31 PM
What alot of people fail to understand, is that software integration isn't as easy as it seems. Especially when your game has practically been broken for multiple years. When people make the 2k comparison/analysis, that game already had a sound foundation when they made their next-gen port (From NFL 2k5 to APF 2K8).

EA Sports football for the most part of this console generation, has been building a game on unstable ground. With multiple director changes (Ian Cummings, David Ortiz, and now Cam Weber) the games haven't truly found an identity yet. Now Cam W. is trying to establish a true identity for EA Sports football as a legitimate simulation football experience like you get from the other great titles (FIFA and NHL series).

When you have a game that's been broken for so long you may have to do addition by subtraction initally to make sure that the large additions work properly with mimimal error, instead of just adding something just because only for it to be completely broken (which has happened for the greater part of this generation of games). Once the large additions fit into the foundation properly, then you can add/restore basic aspects of the game as the transition would be smoother while building a better football game.

In closing, when Madden/NCAA football was on the ps2, xbox, etc. those games had COMPETITION....HELLO, but they also had a firm base to keep building a better game from and didn't suffer from an "identity crisis" for their games. Titles like Madden/NCAA 05 and on were very high quality titles on that gen due to having that foundation. Even though it took them until 2011-2012 to start doing it but EA seems to be honestly delivering on their word and is progressively building a sound foundation for the future. Which is KEY for the game to truly grow and restore itself to the great game that it used to be.

# 80 DJ @ 06/13/12 02:32 PM
The options that have been removed are things that aren't important to me, so I choose to look at the positives of what CC brings to the table. I still plan on getting the game.

That said, I think it's in poor taste by EA to remove so many long-standing features. Forcing gamers to play just one way isn't a great business practice.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.