Home
Madden NFL 13 News Post

Kotaku's Owen Good has posted what Madden NFL 13 Connected Careers gives and takes away. He also spoke with Josh Looman on something they might add to the game.

Quote:
Looman, when I revisited this subject with him in L.A., told me that the development team was still on the fence about one meta-game feature in Connected Careers, which I pleaded with him to keep. In an early build, he told me that creative director Mike Young created himself as a 37-year-old journeyman quarterback, rated in the high-70s but with declining attributes. At that age, the XP spend to improve or maintain skills is also more expensive, creating a considerable challenge even at Pro difficulty. But Young gutted it out and was named Super Bowl MVP, in a great story of a veteran plucked from the scrap pile to win it all.

Game: Madden NFL 13Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 77 - View All
Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 ZoneKIller @ 06/14/12 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
Wrong its an xp thing as well which is much more important to the mode. Not to mention they have other aspects to finish up before they worry about adding in the safe guards to allow editing in ccm.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
I understand why FULL editing would mess with the XP.

But how could editing equipment,positions and numbers mess with it?

# 22 elgreazy1 @ 06/14/12 07:47 AM
When CC mode was announced I was pumped: now I can play a full franchise without having to quit or start over when it gets boring. But the simple lack of roster editing - and to an extent Draft Classes - seems to be a real deal breaker for me. I dunno why... I mean, rosters change within the first few weeks of a Franchise mode anyway, but I think the simple idea one can't control something as fundamental as the game's roster in it's entirety seems silly.

# 23 moneal2001 @ 06/14/12 09:15 AM
i believe editing, especially mid-CC has more to do with goals than anything else. say you changed reggie bush from rb to wr, like i did last year, his goals would prolly not update for his new position till the next season. this could be worked out by allowing position changes only during the off season. i would think ratings would cause a similar problem, elite players you edited down would still have elite goals and backups you edited up would still have backup goals. that would have a huge effect on progression/regression. i dout numbers and equipment are really the issue and they will find a way to get editing those in

# 24 IgotSyphillis @ 06/14/12 09:35 AM
I think I have a huge problem with this new CC mode but obviously I'm not sure yet cause I don't know for sure if this is the deal. But it seems to me that you are only able to play one offline and one online career at the same time. So if I want to have 2 offline CC's going, one with a crap team and one with a good team, EA says I'm no longer allowed to do that. And I have 2 groups of friends that will be having seperate online franchises (or CC's, whatever its called now), so does this mean that I'm only allowed to play in one of them? And I live with my brother and we play seasons against each other in most sports games, does this mean we both can't play in the same season?

If all of the above is true, than I'm sorry but that is horsecrap. Basically then we would be back in the Sega Genesis era of Madden 94 when only one season can exist per household. How could a bunch of people at EA think that would be a good idea? Hopefully I'm just confused and I got it all wrong. But for some reason, I don't think I do. And that would suck.

# 25 themassacre771.1 @ 06/14/12 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgotSyphillis
I think I have a huge problem with this new CC mode but obviously I'm not sure yet cause I don't know for sure if this is the deal. But it seems to me that you are only able to play one offline and one online career at the same time. So if I want to have 2 offline CC's going, one with a crap team and one with a good team, EA says I'm no longer allowed to do that. And I have 2 groups of friends that will be having seperate online franchises (or CC's, whatever its called now), so does this mean that I'm only allowed to play in one of them? And I live with my brother and we play seasons against each other in most sports games, does this mean we both can't play in the same season?

If all of the above is true, than I'm sorry but that is horsecrap. Basically then we would be back in the Sega Genesis era of Madden 94 when only one season can exist per household. How could a bunch of people at EA think that would be a good idea? Hopefully I'm just confused and I got it all wrong. But for some reason, I don't think I do. And that would suck.
I believe youre wrong about your first 2 bolded points. You can have a lot of offline cc's I'm pretty sure I saw him say. Last point is correct, however.

# 26 therealsmallville @ 06/14/12 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan
I don't have a problem with Cardinals signing him it's the Saints not re-signing him that troubles me. If its just an isolated event that's not a problem, but if the Pats release Brady, the Steelers Roth, the Packers Rodgers, etc. Then I have issues
2 years ago, did you ever imagine the Colts would release Peyton Manning?

I agree that if they all get cut, it's bad...but if it happens to 1 or 2 of them, that would fall on the realistic side I would think. After Super Bowl 24, I never imagined the 49ers would get rid of a 4 time winner, 3 time MVP...but once Joe Montana was hurt a year later, the team promoted Steve Young & never looked back.

The Colts ousted Unitas. The Jets ousted Namath. These things happen, and if they never did in Madden then each year would become predictably stale.

# 27 Layoneil @ 06/14/12 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneal2001
i believe editing, especially mid-CC has more to do with goals than anything else. say you changed reggie bush from rb to wr, like i did last year, his goals would prolly not update for his new position till the next season. this could be worked out by allowing position changes only during the off season. i would think ratings would cause a similar problem, elite players you edited down would still have elite goals and backups you edited up would still have backup goals. that would have a huge effect on progression/regression. i dout numbers and equipment are really the issue and they will find a way to get editing those in
that doesn't explain why you can't edit a roster and start a new CC. you can only start CC with official roster updates.

# 28 DNMHIII @ 06/14/12 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAM3R4LYF3
Well I can understand how it would be an XP issue. I mean if they were to implement total editing mid franchise like last year, then their whole new XP concept could be rendered useless. Many people would have a mindset similar to; "Why bother saving up experience points to boost awareness by 1 when you can just edit all of the same player's rating up by 10 with no effort?"
If you created on on/off switch for editing who cares how people use editing and XP. You want to play in an Online League with XP do it. You want an offline Franchise/CC with editing do it.

I don't get the whole debate about this at all. If you designed it properly you could have XP and editing on at the same time and enjoy the XP experience and then just use editing relative to attributes on players outside your team to fine tune progression to your liking. For example, if you don't want some players in the league increasing their speed because there are too many guys with 97 speed or something because of the XP progression you can dial them back. If you think all the tackles need to have 30 blocking strength because DE can't get pressure you can edit all the tackles if you want.

Just give people the option for crying out loud and they can police themselves however they want.

# 29 cuttingteeth @ 06/14/12 11:44 AM
Quote:
Equipment and numbers, not an xp issue. But ratings and position are.

Okay, so this is why any roster Donny changes for us, we'll have to completely restart CCM from the beginning..?

What I think this proves, though, is that storylines/twitter/xp was definitely coded/programmed first and editing/customization the latter, afterthought to see if it'd work. It should have been the other way around.

# 30 mvb34 @ 06/14/12 12:07 PM
Quote:
Equipment and numbers, not an xp issue. But ratings and position are.

Bring in edited rosters before starting CCM would mess up XP?

# 31 briz1744 @ 06/14/12 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneal2001
I see what your saying but tend to disagree, for sure rating edits would effect goals and progression thus attained but only in extreme examples significantly and could easily be taken into account when editing
Position changes for the most part even less so, I would imagine a 3-4 OLB and a 4-3 DE would have similar goals, as would all OL and even a receiving or 3rd down RB and a slot WR
Only changing a player completely would be too much of am issue and this is rare excluding 'cheese'

# 32 briz1744 @ 06/14/12 12:27 PM
Quote:
It's an xp issue....

Ok thanks I'm no software engineer but other than the time to integrate it I fail to understand why there should be any fundamental problem
Wouldn't progression merely act on the edited data in the same way as if it had occurred by previous progression ?
Some explanation would be appreciated

# 33 Jukeman @ 06/14/12 12:27 PM
And who would want to do that?

# 34 DNMHIII @ 06/14/12 12:27 PM
Quote:
Use this for an example... a kicker has several ratings that it holds important such as KPW and KAC. Those attributes are going to be VERY expensive to upgrade, the rest will be relatively cheap. Now say a player has build up a good amount of XP with their defensive end, maybe enough to move a significant rating up 2points. Now after the game, a user edits that players position to Kicker... then bumps up all of his attritbutes for a very cheap rate. Afterwards that user moves that player back to defensive end and now has a beast. Thas how it would break the XP system with editing.
How about position changes in offseason like NCAA and problem is solved. There are solutions to everything people come up with and for some reason they choose to just make excuses for stuff.....so frustrating. oh wait....that wouldn't fix it though I guess. What about just making all the attributes the same value at every position?

# 35 DNMHIII @ 06/14/12 12:34 PM
Quote:
If they don't have time to put in roster editing with the correct safeguards... where are they going to get the time to do that with the correct safeguards? Not to mention add in an entire UI for that as well????? C'mon folks, this isn't that difficult to wrap your mind around.
oh I get it that they ran out of time. I'm thinking downline so that the same terrible excuses aren't used over and over and over again. There really is a lot of potential to create a really great game that doesn't need to take steps backwards while trying to move forward and I'm just using my own common sense to inject some input on how that might be possible in hopes that maybe someone might read it and say "wow.......derrrrrrrr thats a really good idea and maybe I'll bring that to the team"......lol

# 36 briz1744 @ 06/14/12 12:44 PM
Quote:
Use this for an example... a kicker has several ratings that it holds important such as KPW and KAC. Those attributes are going to be VERY expensive to upgrade, the rest will be relatively cheap. Now say a player has build up a good amount of XP with their defensive end, maybe enough to move a significant rating up 2points. Now after the game, a user edits that players position to Kicker... then bumps up all of his attritbutes for a very cheap rate. Afterwards that user moves that player back to defensive end and now has a beast. Thas how it would break the XP system with editing.
Online against other users this would need to be controlled I agree hence commissioner only editing for ratings and position.
Offline single player surely what's the problem ? If people want to 'cheat' why shouldn't they ? They bought the game and it won't hurt me.

# 37 Jukeman @ 06/14/12 12:53 PM
2 years really do go by quick. 😂

# 38 briz1744 @ 06/14/12 12:54 PM
Quote:
If they don't have time to put in roster editing with the correct safeguards... where are they going to get the time to do that with the correct safeguards? Not to mention add in an entire UI for that as well????? C'mon folks, this isn't that difficult to wrap your mind around.
I am not suggesting they rush out a broken feature more questioning the prioritisation if anything.
Also trying to ascertain whether by 'breaks XP' you mean causes stability issues or merely ridiculous progression which to me should be left to user choice

# 39 moneal2001 @ 06/14/12 01:07 PM
@bucky the same thing could also happen online and ruin the experience for others.

# 40 briz1744 @ 06/14/12 01:11 PM
Quote:
correct! But they have already said that they want the exact same functions between online and offline. So if they were to enable it, they would then need to code in safe guards in case of abuses.... then we are back at "if they don't have time to install it... how are they going to have time to enable safe guards lol"
The only safeguard required is to make it only enabled for commissioners or the original league creator, this works on and offline

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.