Home
NCAA Football 13 News Post

Recruiting has become a lot more unpredictable in NCAA Football 13, as prospects can now have a significant difference between their projected scouting rating and their final overall rating.

Just because a recruit is projected to be the number one quarterback in the country doesn't mean he will end up with the class' highest ratings once fall practice begins.

If a recruit arrives on campus with a lower rating than expected, the game will appropriately identify that player as a "bust." Alternatively, prospects who end up with a higher-than-expected rating are labeled "gems."

No prospect in NCAA Football 13 will ever be a "sure thing," placing more importance than ever on signing a deep, well-rounded recruiting class.

What do you think? Is the dynamic nature of recruiting a huge deal to you?

Game: NCAA Football 13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 60 - View All
NCAA Football 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Vol-4-Life @ 06/20/12 11:08 AM
This has the potential to be game changing IMO

# 2 baprecure @ 06/20/12 11:11 AM
One of the biggest things Im looking forward to is scouting. I hate signing the kids who just sit on my bench for four years or turn out to be slower than anticipated.

# 3 illwill10 @ 06/20/12 11:12 AM
This is the main reason why I am anticipating this game. This will make a big difference in recruiting. This will make players want to scout their guys before recruiting them. So, banking on a 4-5 star player without scouting him could lead to him being under 70 and not having much impact as you anticipated. The same as making you wanting to scout a 2-3 star player and getting a gem.

# 4 Pezell04x @ 06/20/12 11:16 AM
I love it, but I'm pretty disappointed you know who will be a gem or a bust because you can see the overalls. Imagine recruiting a highly touted 5-star QB and find out his overall is a 75 and he's a bust.

Or recruiting some 3 star HB and when he signs, you see his overall is an 80 or so.

That would be sick. Knowing the OVR ahead of time is kind of a bummer, but I'm looking forward to this so much that it doesn't bother me a whole lot.

# 5 TDenverFan @ 06/20/12 11:18 AM
With the bust/gem, if a player is just 3 or 4 OVR points higher than expected, is he a gem? If so, that's kinda poorly thought out.

# 6 Buckeyed @ 06/20/12 11:20 AM
As long as the ratings truly affect gameplay outside of speed this could be sweet.

# 7 msuhockeycj @ 06/20/12 11:22 AM
Pezell04x - you will not know the gem or bust status unless you scout them, their overalls change with scouting. I think in one of the videos it showed a 5* QB who was listed as an 84 but after a week of scouting went down to a 77. I would imagine this is an average change with regard to scouting.

# 8 JoBo513 @ 06/20/12 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezell04x
I love it, but I'm pretty disappointed you know who will be a gem or a bust because you can see the overalls. Imagine recruiting a highly touted 5-star QB and find out his overall is a 75 and he's a bust.

Or recruiting some 3 star HB and when he signs, you see his overall is an 80 or so.

That would be sick. Knowing the OVR ahead of time is kind of a bummer, but I'm looking forward to this so much that it doesn't bother me a whole lot.
You would have to 100% the recruit to see the guys final overall. You only have a limited amount of scouting Time so you most likely won't be able to do this for each recruit.

Sent from my cheap *** phone

# 9 Jadakiss88 @ 06/20/12 11:27 AM
I am with Pezell on this one. I like that fact that you can have gem's or bust's but the fact that you see the overall before they actually hit the field is a let down. While it's a good idea how much does finding that players strengths in your system play into his gem or bust status? I have always been able to find gem's and bust's but those are mostly coming out of the ATH pool of recruits. I've turned a 3 star 6'5" ATH into a Heisman Candidate. I have done the same with a 2 star 6'0" ATH the 3 star was a WR and the 2 star was a CB that I had returning punts and kicks in his first two seasons.

I think this should be soley based off of your system, how you run your system, and being able to point out the players strengths while hiding their weakness. If they bring back Individual Training events this feature would be great.

# 10 MachoMyers @ 06/20/12 11:31 AM
Quote:
If a recruit arrives on campus with a lower rating than expected, the game will appropriately identify that player as a "bust." Alternatively, prospects who end up with a higher-than-expected rating are labeled "gems."
Not really sure I like that they are labelled as busts or gems before they even play a down. Will busts still turn into stars if they are successful or can gems be slow in progression as they age?

# 11 illwill10 @ 06/20/12 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDenverFan
With the bust/gem, if a player is just 3 or 4 OVR points higher than expected, is he a gem? If so, that's kinda poorly thought out.
No, I read that there are BIG swings. I read somewhere the swing is as high as 20-22 pts.
I think a gem/bust will be so if there is a -/+ 6 Ovr pts.

# 12 illwill10 @ 06/20/12 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier12
Not really sure I like that they are labelled as busts or gems before they even play a down. Will busts still turn into stars if they are successful or can gems be slow in progression as they age?
I think the progression is the same, based on the Coaches OVR grade. So, a 70 OVR bust 5 star QB can still become a 90 OVR QB with a good coach

# 13 Jakeboutte @ 06/20/12 11:42 AM
This is a Greta feature! Stoked for 13!!!

# 14 TDenverFan @ 06/20/12 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
No, I read that there are BIG swings. I read somewhere the swing is as high as 20-22 pts.
I think a gem/bust will be so if there is a -/+ 6 Ovr pts.
Cool. Good to know.

# 15 jkra0512 @ 06/20/12 11:46 AM
I've wanted this for years. Scouting players is a huge deal in college sports, and I love the huge point swings a recruit can take. It makes the mode deeper and more interesting than the roulette and blind point-giving. Hopefully, this spruces things up on that front, because the past few years, I've ended up letting the CPU take over my recruiting, as it was a snooze-fest.

Does anyone remember the old EA Sports NCAA Baseball recruiting? Where they had a graph showing where the player is now compared to his peers, and as you got better as a coach, you can see where he could compare in a few years. For instance, you might have a guy who is great starting out as a freshman, but as everyone catches up to him, he'll be a middle-of-the-road type, who will get lost amongst the crowd. Conversely, you might take a flier on a guy who has good peripherals, but doesn't have the measurables yet, and he becomes a stud his junior and senior years. I wish they would do something similar to this with a few tweaks to bring it up to date. I know they have a progression system now, but it's nearly impossible to at least forecast where a player/recruit will end up...even if you give them loads of playing time.

# 16 patsfan1993 @ 06/20/12 11:54 AM
This has the potential to be a fantastic addition, but I want to see how it is done. I am concerned the CPU will "know" the gems and busts, and thus indicate who they are by having the CPU recruit players they should/shouldn't given their respective star ratings.

I.E. FSU, Bama, USC, OU, etc recruits a 1 star QB; or nobody but bottom tier Sun belt schools recruiting a 5 star QB.

If that doesn't happen this will be a welcomed addition.

# 17 BoomerSooner11 @ 06/20/12 12:19 PM
This has got me really excited, I've been wanting this for years.

# 18 BigSho31 @ 06/20/12 01:00 PM
My mind is all over the place with this post so bear with me:

1. Does anyone actually believe that the ratings matter as it relates to gameplay? A WR rated at 75 is not that much different than a 90 rated guy. It matters with QBs, but honestly, I don't see the rating difference throughout each postion.

2. Does this mean that it will still take 45 min - 1 hour to recruit? Recruiting has become a real chore for me and it takes away from the game. I remember back in the day I could get a whole season done in about a day or so...now it takes forever.

3. If this does work as intended, wont it mean that we can just scout 3-4 star recruits and get a good coach instead of focusing on 5-star guys?

# 19 BenGerman @ 06/20/12 01:06 PM
I still think this is one game where a potential rating could really be beneficial. That way, when recruiting, you'd have to ask yourself "Do I go after this guy who is ready to play but has a lower ceiling, or do I go after this project who is no where near ready, but has the potential of a great player?"

# 20 BadAssHskr @ 06/20/12 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier12
this is what i'm wondering too.

all be it, it's a bit confusing to me. take the posted pic, the highlighted guy has an OVR of 80. does that mean once he signs he might come in as a 60, or then again potentially come in as a 90?

so you recruit as you did last year, then just wait and see?

i do agree though, it makes recruiting more interesting and life like with the bust potential. God knows we've seen a ton of it at QB in Neb.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.