Home
News Post

The day has arrived, we now know that College Football's National Champion will definitely be decided by a playoff for the first time ever for the 2014 season. The format seems simple enough: the top four teams as chosen by a selection committee.

The question of by what criteria will the teams be selected has not been finalized. It sounds like, on the surface, that the days of computers and polls deciding the National Champion might be a thing of the past.

So what do you think about the new college football playoff plan? Do you like it? Are you worried about the selection committee aspect?

Sound off!

Member Comments
# 61 jmood88 @ 06/25/12 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
Cfb has the best regular season in sports. Why would anyone in his right mind want to do anything that might diminish that?
Maybe because people don't see college football as having the best regular season in sports?

# 62 coogrfan @ 06/25/12 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
Maybe because people don't see college football as having the best regular season in sports?
How can anyone argue otherwise? For sheer sustained drama nothing can touch the college game. In CFB somebody's season is on the brink every single week. No other sport, college or pro, can make that claim.

# 63 ZB9 @ 06/25/12 02:56 PM
Many people plan their fall schedules around college football. Of course its one of the greatest regular seasons, and that's not going to change with this playoff system. You have to do well in the regular season to make the playoff

# 64 BlackJack @ 06/25/12 02:59 PM
if they emphasize strength of schedule, then the system will still be SEC vs Big XII in the playoffs

# 65 coogrfan @ 06/25/12 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB9
Many people plan their fall schedules around college football. Of course its one of the greatest regular seasons, and that's not going to change with this playoff system. You have to do well in the regular season to make the playoff
I agree...as long as it's four teams only.

# 66 jmood88 @ 06/25/12 03:07 PM
Quote:
How can anyone argue otherwise? For sheer sustained drama nothing can touch the college game. In CFB somebody's season is on the brink every single week. No other sport, college or pro, can make that claim.
Except that's not true, it all depends on what time of year a team loses. A team can lose early in the year and still get their way back up to the championship, but if they lose later in the year, that can ruin their season.

# 67 coogrfan @ 06/25/12 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by caasoccer
yet ratings are much higher for NFL regular season games
Because more people like the NFL. That doesn't change the fact that each week of the CFB's regular season is far more meaningful than the corresponding week in the pros.

# 68 coogrfan @ 06/25/12 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
Except that's not true, it all depends on what time of year a team loses. A team can lose early in the year and still get their way back up to the championship, but if they lose later in the year, that can ruin their season.
And? One early loss can be overcome - but not always. More often than not one defeat will sink a team's MNC hopes. Now compare that to the NFL, where their current reigning champion lost seven times over the course of the 2011 season.

# 69 seasprite @ 06/25/12 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack
if they emphasize strength of schedule, then the system will still be SEC vs Big XII in the playoffs
Are you suggesting that it should be any other way with regard to SoS?

# 70 jmood88 @ 06/25/12 04:25 PM
Quote:
And? One early loss can be overcome - but not always. More often than not one defeat will sink a team's MNC hopes. Now compare that to the NFL, where their current reigning champion lost seven times over the course of the 2011 season.
I posted this in another thread about the playoffs but I'll post it again here: since 2006 (arbitrary date chosen) there has been one participant in the championship game with at least one loss and four champions over that span have had one loss. The difference with the NFL is that the disparity between good and bad teams isn't as big as it is in college and the season is 3 or 4 weeks longer than the college season. The whole "every regular season game is a playoff game" thing is a myth that keeps being repeated to cover up for a horrendous post-season system.

# 71 bkrich83 @ 06/25/12 04:52 PM
Quote:
Because more people like the NFL. That doesn't change the fact that each week of the CFB's regular season is far more meaningful than the corresponding week in the pros.
I think that theory has been disproved time and time again over the past few years.

The notion that in college every game matters is ridiculous. If that was the case, we wouldn't have had some of the ridiculously bad matchups in the title game over the last decade.

Tell the 2004 Auburn Tigers every game matters. Tell that to Utah or Boise, or Oregon or USC. For not the first time, last year a team that did not even win it'd division, nevermind it's conference was somehow elected to the title game. No, every game doesn't matter, and it seems the games are matter less and less every year.

The notion that the current system somehow makes the regular season in the NCAA sacred is a myth. All it does is promote teams from scheduling OOC road games or games against quality opponents because no one wants a loss on their record.

# 72 Aggies7 @ 06/25/12 04:56 PM
I like the idea an happy the traditional Bowl games will be kept.

But I still think we will run into the who should be the 4th seed and there will be debates over that. Just like the frequent who should be the second team in the National Championship.

An when you push a playoff to 4 teams there will probably be more debate simply because I highly doubt we see 4 undefeated teams.

So if there is 2 undefeated teams we would assume they are in. But most likely will have 3-5 teams with 1 loss. Then what do you do.

Just my opinion.

# 73 bkrich83 @ 06/25/12 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies7
I like the idea an happy the traditional Bowl games will be kept.

But I still think we will run into the who should be the 4th seed and there will be debates over that. Just like the frequent who should be the second team in the National Championship.

An when you push a playoff to 4 teams there will probably be more debate simply because I highly doubt we see 4 undefeated teams.

So if there is 2 undefeated teams we would assume they are in. But most likely will have 3-5 teams with 1 loss. Then what do you do.

Just my opinion.
I'd rather get the #4 team wrong than the #1 and #2 teams wrong.

# 74 Aggies7 @ 06/25/12 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I'd rather get the #4 team wrong than the #1 and #2 teams wrong.
I completely agree with that. Just saying you will still have teams complaining but I think that will be inevitable no matter what the playoff layout is.

# 75 bkrich83 @ 06/25/12 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies7
I completely agree with that. Just saying you will still have teams complaining but I think that will be inevitable no matter what the playoff layout is.
no doubt. Just the lesser of two evils so to speak, imo.

# 76 lonewolf371 @ 06/25/12 06:59 PM
Quote:
I think that theory has been disproved time and time again over the past few years.

The notion that in college every game matters is ridiculous. If that was the case, we wouldn't have had some of the ridiculously bad matchups in the title game over the last decade.

Tell the 2004 Auburn Tigers every game matters. Tell that to Utah or Boise, or Oregon or USC. For not the first time, last year a team that did not even win it'd division, nevermind it's conference was somehow elected to the title game. No, every game doesn't matter, and it seems the games are matter less and less every year.

The notion that the current system somehow makes the regular season in the NCAA sacred is a myth. All it does is promote teams from scheduling OOC road games or games against quality opponents because no one wants a loss on their record.
I think you're interpreting it the wrong way when you put it like that. We've seen over the years that at the end of the season pollsters organize teams into "tiers," with undefeated teams in the first tier, one-loss teams in the second tier, and so on. So while we've had a number of one-loss teams in the title game, I don't think we've had any instances where a team with more losses was put in over another BCS team with less losses.

# 77 bkrich83 @ 06/25/12 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371
I think you're interpreting it the wrong way when you put it like that. We've seen over the years that at the end of the season pollsters organize teams into "tiers," with undefeated teams in the first tier, one-loss teams in the second tier, and so on. So while we've had a number of one-loss teams in the title game, I don't think we've had any instances where a team with more losses was put in over another BCS team with less losses.
In the end, the myth the regular season matters more because of the way the NCAA does it, is a myth, that's been disproven time and time again.

# 78 lonewolf371 @ 06/25/12 07:16 PM
Quote:
In the end, the myth the regular season matters more because of the way the NCAA does it, is a myth, that's been disproven time and time again.
It's not really a myth, though. You're not going to see a 7-9 team have any chance of making the playoffs in college football. You're not going to see teams rest their starters in the last few games (generally). Those two things alone are good indicators that the regular season means more in college football than the NFL.

# 79 bad_philanthropy @ 06/25/12 07:55 PM
This is definitely a step in the right direction. I think the interest this will generate will eventually lead to an expansion in the number of teams and the overall NCAA Football D-1A playoff property will be become a massive success. It's an overall good beginning to what should eventually be something that better resembles what we've really been dreaming of regarding a college football playoff.

# 80 bkrich83 @ 06/25/12 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371
It's not really a myth, though. You're not going to see a 7-9 team have any chance of making the playoffs in college football. You're not going to see teams rest their starters in the last few games (generally). Those two things alone are good indicators that the regular season means more in college football than the NFL.
In the NFL you're never going to see a 12-0 team have zero chance of playing for a title, nor are you going to see a team that didn't even win it's division get automatically lifted in to a title game without having to earn it. Those things right there debunk the idea the regular season means any more than any other sport. The current system is a money grab, nothing more. It's about ratings, not deciding true championships.

It's a myth that people who haven't realized it's the 21st century desperately cling to.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.