Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 JerzeyReign @ 06/25/12 05:43 PM
And MJ was no gimmick! It was the first time we got to play with Jordan in a game since Space Jam or Chaos in the Windy City!

But this interview was nothing new -- same ol', same ol'.

# 22 I Djm @ 06/26/12 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyReign
And MJ was no gimmick! It was the first time we got to play with Jordan in a game since Space Jam or Chaos in the Windy City!

But this interview was nothing new -- same ol', same ol'.
mj was a gimmick dude lol

# 23 JerzeyReign @ 06/26/12 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Djm
mj was a gimmick dude lol
To me, a gimmick is something that doesn't add to the gameplay or replay value of a game. Adding Jordan added to the replay value of the game, at least to us guys who grew up in the 80s and 90s who wanted to finally live out those moments that have been missing from video games for the past 20 years.

But I'm not going to debate with you -- you say gimmick, I say it wasn't -- agree to disagree.

# 24 I Djm @ 06/26/12 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyReign
To me, a gimmick is something that doesn't add to the gameplay or replay value of a game. Adding Jordan added to the replay value of the game, at least to us guys who grew up in the 80s and 90s who wanted to finally live out those moments that have been missing from video games for the past 20 years.

But I'm not going to debate with you -- you say gimmick, I say it wasn't -- agree to disagree.
y u no debate =s, yes it added replay value but he was a gimmick because he was the main attraction to the game like pre order bonuses

# 25 JerzeyReign @ 06/26/12 09:24 AM
Quote:
y u no debate =s, yes it added replay value but he was a gimmick because he was the main attraction to the game like pre order bonuses
Quote:
In marketing language, a gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is typically thought to be of little relevance or use. Thus, a gimmick is a special feature for the sake of having a special feature
Adding Jordan opened up Legends mode -- and they didn't just throw him and the others in there as a created player (which would have been a gimmick) -- they actually tried to capture the TV presentation of whatever era the other legends were associated with and also added some of their sig shots/moves to capture a more realistic feel -- now you got me sounding like an advertisement -- but at the end of the day, I don't feel it was a gimmick. I know guys try to say that them continously adding legends is a gimmick but I consider it them trying to better the mode (and deliver legends that people are screaming for).

# 26 VDusen04 @ 06/26/12 01:14 PM
Quote:
I'm not sure I agree with the logic there. A game's main attraction is thereby a gimmick? Michael Jordan and the corresponding classic teams did not just add replay value for me, they became a primary draw to the game itself. I don't find anything gimmicky about that. It seems as if that'd be consistent with calling any innovation, improvement or alteration a gimmick.

# 27 I Djm @ 06/26/12 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I'm not sure I agree with the logic there. A game's main attraction is thereby a gimmick? Michael Jordan and the corresponding classic teams did not just add replay value for me, they became a primary draw to the game itself. I don't find anything gimmicky about that. It seems as if that'd be consistent with calling any innovation, improvement or alteration a gimmick.
yes a game's main attraction is a gimmick. 2k simply played the nostalgia card with jordan and the other legends

# 28 VDusen04 @ 06/26/12 01:56 PM
Quote:
yes a game's main attraction is a gimmick. 2k simply played the nostalgia card with jordan and the other legends
So hypothetically, if 2K's main attraction this year is significant gameplay improvements, that'd also be a gimmick?

# 29 I Djm @ 06/26/12 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
So hypothetically, if 2K's main attraction this year is significant gameplay improvements, that'd also be a gimmick?
yes, whether it's good or bad. to me anytime you put a lot of emphasis on a feature it's a gimmick like what EA is doing. like how 2k put the emphasis on the move when kobe was using it was just a gimmick to get people to buy the move

# 30 VDusen04 @ 06/26/12 02:21 PM
Quote:
yes, whether it's good or bad. to me anytime you put a lot of emphasis on a feature it's a gimmick like what EA is doing. like how 2k put the emphasis on the move when kobe was using it was just a gimmick to get people to buy the move
Fair enough. I think we're talking about two different types of gimmicks here. On one hand, the given dictionary definition of "gimmick" is merely "An ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, especially one designed to attract attention or increase appeal." That seems closer to what you're referring and to be honest, I'm not sure I see anything wrong with something of that manner.

On the flip side, as referenced by JerzeyReign on the previous page, in this case (and in most cases when the word "gimmick" is used in an unflattering manner), it can be defined as follows, "A unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is typically thought to be of little relevance or use."

Therefore, in this case, I'd very much object to the inclusion of Jordan and classic teams (or gameplay improvements) having little relevance or use. As such, when someone cites classic teams as a gimmick, then asks why 2K hasn't brushed up on core game modes that matter, like Association, I find that to be a matter of taste, not a matter of gimmick vs. non-gimmick. I find the legends to be just as much of a core to the game as Association.

# 31 aloncho11 @ 06/28/12 12:11 PM
I just realized this is perhaps the first time I've seen a video where Erick has allowed a question and mentioned something about Charles Barkley.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.