Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

2K Sports Crowns Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin
and Derrick Rose as Cover Athletes for NBA® 2K13

Trio of young superstars represents the “New Dynasty” of NBA legends

New York, NY – June 26, 2012 – 2K Sports today announced that the Oklahoma City Thunder’s Kevin Durant, Los Angeles Clippers’ Blake Griffin and the Chicago Bulls’ Derrick Rose have been crowned the cover athletes for NBA® 2K13, the next installment of the top-selling and top-rated NBA video game simulation franchise*.

”Being crowned as one of the NBA 2K13 cover athletes is a huge honor and something I always dreamt about,” said Durant, who won his third straight scoring title and led the Thunder franchise to their first NBA Finals appearance since 1996. “It’s definitely humbling to grace the cover after the likes of Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, and Larry Bird.”

“There’s so much young talent around the NBA, so it’s very exciting to be chosen for NBA 2K’s ‘New Dynasty’ alongside Kevin and Derrick,” added Griffin, who helped lead the Clippers to their first postseason since 2006. “The NBA 2K series has always been my first choice when I want to get a game in.”

“It’s a dream come true to be one of the cover athletes for NBA 2K13,” commented Rose, the 2010-11 NBA Most Valuable Player, who led the Bulls to a league-best 50-16 record this season. “I’ve worked closely with 2K Sports since NBA 2K10, and I’m honored to follow in the footsteps of Michael Jordan as the latest Chicago Bull to be featured on the cover.”

In their young but impressive careers, Rose, Durant and Griffin have each taken the NBA by storm. All three are past winners of the NBA Rookie of the Year award, and have also amassed eight All-Star berths, three scoring titles, and one Most Valuable Player award between them.

“There are many young superstars in today’s NBA, but we’ve selected three incredible athletes for the cover of NBA 2K13 that represent the NBA well,” concluded Jason Argent, vice president of marketing for 2K Sports. “It’s clear to us that Blake, Derrick and Kevin are the most deserving guys to inherit the NBA 2K cover from Jordan, Magic and Bird.”

Developed by Visual Concepts, a 2K Sports studio, NBA 2K13 is not yet rated by the ESRB and will be available on October 2, 2012 in North America and October 5, 2012 internationally. The Wii U version of the title will be available during the holiday season. Fans are encouraged to pre-order now at participating retailers in order to receive the downloadable NBA All-Star content package presented by Sprite on day one at no extra cost.

For more information on 2K Sports, visit www.2KSports.com.

For more information on NBA 2K13, visit http://www.facebook.com/NBA2K.

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 jWILL253 @ 06/26/12 08:47 AM
That cover is rather bland, if you ask me...

# 2 I Djm @ 06/26/12 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jWILL10
That cover is rather bland, if you ask me...
well somebody in the custom covers thread could add some spice to it

# 3 celticsfan1530 @ 06/26/12 08:49 AM
Pretty good choices, even though I think Blake Griffin is one of the most overrated players in the NBA right now.

# 4 Twista209 @ 06/26/12 08:51 AM
Does not make any sense to me. Rose 2011 MVP, Blake Griffin a high flying maniac, Durant 2012 NBA Scoring Champion, but sunk in the 2012 Finals. I am not a Miami Heat fan but King James should have definatly been on the cover.

# 5 mlp111 @ 06/26/12 08:52 AM
NICE, glad i didnt have to choose what cover i wanted from those, lol..... now i'm curious who live has, they have to at least get lebron or the Miami big three to compete cover wise!

# 6 I Djm @ 06/26/12 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticsfan1530
Pretty good choices, even though I think Blake Griffin is one of the most overrated players in the NBA right now.
thats the media for ya

# 7 mlp111 @ 06/26/12 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticsfan1530
I'll say right behind russell westbrook and james harden, overrated!

# 8 ps3veron @ 06/26/12 08:54 AM
Absolutely love the choices!

Well done 2K now kindly spill the gameplay details ;-)

# 9 I Djm @ 06/26/12 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp111
NICE, glad i didnt have to choose what cover i wanted from those, lol..... now i'm curious who live has, they have to at least get lebron or the Miami big three to compete cover wise!
no they don't it won't matter who is on the cover of either one if the gameplay isn't good

# 10 Str0mTropper @ 06/26/12 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twista308
Does not make any sense to me. Rose 2011 MVP, Blake Griffin a high flying maniac, Durant 2012 NBA Scoring Champion, but sunk in the 2012 Finals. I am not a Miami Heat fan but King James should have definatly been on the cover.
You ever think he didn't want to?

# 11 DBMcGee3 @ 06/26/12 09:08 AM
Unfortunately, this is about the only place you'll see Derrick Rose this year. Get well DR, love you man!

# 12 BSchwartz07 @ 06/26/12 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twista308
WAAAAAY too many people despise LeBron. There would be people that wouldn't buy the game just because he is on the cover.

As for the rest of the cover, strange that they selected Rose, he will miss most of next season... Blake is overrated, and Durant was a good choice. Not an amazing cover, but 2K usually has more to offer in their games than just a new box (...looking at you EA). Can't wait to hear what all they add to this year. I loved 2k11, and was very impressed with 2k12's improvements to it. Not disappointed in either purchase. Here's hoping for a my player mode where you can speed the game up to 5 min quarters... sad but last year's played a little too real. I don't have time to invest well over an hour into every single game of the season.

# 13 spankdatazz22 @ 06/26/12 09:09 AM
I like the idea of going from the three legends last year to featuring three superstars of the new generation. I would've thought they would give each his own individual cover and put a small image of Michael Jordan in the corner or something to show he's in the game (if he is/the legends are). Should resonate with the younger fans with no lockout to worry about. But hoping the legends are still in the game

# 14 tarek @ 06/26/12 09:11 AM
Come on now 2K Sports. Eddy Curry is now an NBA Champion! Give the man some props and take these non-champions off the cover.

# 15 BSchwartz07 @ 06/26/12 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I like the idea of going from the three legends last year to featuring three superstars of the new generation. I would've thought they would give each his own individual cover and put a small image of Michael Jordan in the corner or something to show he's in the game (if he is/the legends are). Should resonate with the younger fans with no lockout to worry about. But hoping the legends are still in the game
I like that idea! Hope they keep the legends. Also, I'd like to see the World competitions added in an olympic year. Would be a fun addition to the offseason of your franchise to see your young superstar rep the USA. Could even add old "Dream Teams" in the classic mode.

# 16 JerzeyReign @ 06/26/12 09:17 AM
Even though I figured this after all you sleuths decoded the message with out Orphan Annie's secret decoder ring (Drink More Ovaltine) I still think its a smack in the face to Lebron. I guess those dudes move units but KD just lost to Lebron in the Finals, Blake is overrated in my eyes, and D.Rose probably won't even play next season.

# 17 huntt26 @ 06/26/12 09:17 AM
I'm really surprised they did not put MJ on the cover again. Having that guy on the cover is a huge selling point! Glad to see D Rose on there, hope he heals fast and effectively!

# 18 cj54 @ 06/26/12 09:19 AM
LOL at Rose's face

# 19 TreyIM2 @ 06/26/12 09:27 AM
Good choices but bad cover

# 20 Kentucky_Wildcat23 @ 06/26/12 09:39 AM
I feel like Dirk, Durant, and LeBron should be on the cover. Last years Finals MVP, 3 time Scoring Champ, and 3 time MVP, this years Finals MVP and Champ!

« Previous12345678Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.