Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

2K Sports Crowns Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin
and Derrick Rose as Cover Athletes for NBA® 2K13

Trio of young superstars represents the “New Dynasty” of NBA legends

New York, NY – June 26, 2012 – 2K Sports today announced that the Oklahoma City Thunder’s Kevin Durant, Los Angeles Clippers’ Blake Griffin and the Chicago Bulls’ Derrick Rose have been crowned the cover athletes for NBA® 2K13, the next installment of the top-selling and top-rated NBA video game simulation franchise*.

”Being crowned as one of the NBA 2K13 cover athletes is a huge honor and something I always dreamt about,” said Durant, who won his third straight scoring title and led the Thunder franchise to their first NBA Finals appearance since 1996. “It’s definitely humbling to grace the cover after the likes of Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, and Larry Bird.”

“There’s so much young talent around the NBA, so it’s very exciting to be chosen for NBA 2K’s ‘New Dynasty’ alongside Kevin and Derrick,” added Griffin, who helped lead the Clippers to their first postseason since 2006. “The NBA 2K series has always been my first choice when I want to get a game in.”

“It’s a dream come true to be one of the cover athletes for NBA 2K13,” commented Rose, the 2010-11 NBA Most Valuable Player, who led the Bulls to a league-best 50-16 record this season. “I’ve worked closely with 2K Sports since NBA 2K10, and I’m honored to follow in the footsteps of Michael Jordan as the latest Chicago Bull to be featured on the cover.”

In their young but impressive careers, Rose, Durant and Griffin have each taken the NBA by storm. All three are past winners of the NBA Rookie of the Year award, and have also amassed eight All-Star berths, three scoring titles, and one Most Valuable Player award between them.

“There are many young superstars in today’s NBA, but we’ve selected three incredible athletes for the cover of NBA 2K13 that represent the NBA well,” concluded Jason Argent, vice president of marketing for 2K Sports. “It’s clear to us that Blake, Derrick and Kevin are the most deserving guys to inherit the NBA 2K cover from Jordan, Magic and Bird.”

Developed by Visual Concepts, a 2K Sports studio, NBA 2K13 is not yet rated by the ESRB and will be available on October 2, 2012 in North America and October 5, 2012 internationally. The Wii U version of the title will be available during the holiday season. Fans are encouraged to pre-order now at participating retailers in order to receive the downloadable NBA All-Star content package presented by Sprite on day one at no extra cost.

For more information on 2K Sports, visit www.2KSports.com.

For more information on NBA 2K13, visit http://www.facebook.com/NBA2K.

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 stillfeelme @ 06/26/12 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostbobsaget
With all due respect to 2K, I don't like this cover. It's too bland and generic with the three of them on the cover.

It would be a much better cover if they weren't all going up for a dunk. It's all the same, repetitive action in the three of them. It would be a more cohesive and creative cover if the three were blended together where maybe Griffin was going up for the dunk, Rose was dishing a no look pass to the right, and Durant was talking a jumpshot (putting Griffin in the middle, Rose on the right dishing a no look, and Durant taking a shot on the left and away from the center.)

Blend those together with an effect from the bottom center and you would have a cover that has an element of action.
Yeah I was thinking something similar. Blake has to be dunking. Rose they could have shown him sprinting , then dishing and Durant shooting a jumper.

# 62 iLLosophy @ 06/26/12 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
lol some of you are going to criticize every little thing regardless. The game has sold millions the past few years and it's not because of the cover, because every year there are people that have issues with the cover. I'm hoping there'll be a more dynamic looking cover myself but I don't think people are plopping down $60 primarily because there's a pretty picture on a box. And there isn't a sports game out there where it's respective community isn't doing a more thorough job with rosters, sliders, etc. Hell even mainstream games like Skyrim that are held in high regard have people modding it and being critical of the developer efforts. Not saying 2K can't do a better job, but imo it's not that serious. Seems it's casually dismissed that they have probably the most content rich sports title of this generation - no, they need to make sure they nail the cover too. Again, I'm not entirely disagreeing with you. But some perspective, please.
Spank, why do we always end up on opposite sides of discussions?

If you want perspective, here's mine. They just launched two marketing campaigns (one for the "big surprise" of all-star weekend, and the other being the cover), creating a lot of hype and trying to stir the interwebs - and when they both were revealed the general reaction was this:

Spoiler

Bottom line, I don't have a problem with the cover or allstar weekend itself. I have a problem when the hype and promotion (i.e. facebook campaigns, twitter hashtag counts) is highly outlandish compared to the actual content or feature they are revealing. There's only so many "Wait till you see what we have this time" cards they can play on subpar surprises before people just write you off as selling wolf tickets.

# 63 mlp111 @ 06/26/12 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLosophy
Spank, why do we always end up on opposite sides of discussions?

If you want perspective, here's mine. They just launched two marketing campaigns (one for the "big surprise" of all-star weekend, and the other being the cover), creating a lot of hype and trying to stir the interwebs - and when they both were revealed the general reaction was this:

Spoiler

Bottom line, I don't have a problem with the cover or allstar weekend itself. I have a problem when the hype and promotion (i.e. facebook campaigns, twitter hashtag counts) is highly outlandish compared to the actual content or feature they are revealing. There's only so many "Wait till you see what we have this time" cards they can play on subpar surprises before people just write you off as selling wolf tickets.
that's the world of marketing my friend, no different from McDonalds, Burger King, etc.

# 64 SouthBeach @ 06/26/12 02:24 PM

I knew that already.

# 65 NoTiCe_O @ 06/26/12 02:27 PM
I think their each gonna have their own seperate cover like they did this year with Bird, Magic, and Jordan.

The choices are cool, but I think Durant would've taken Live or 2k to be honest. 2k getting LeBron on the cover would of been epic; comparable to them getting Jordan on the cover.

# 66 ojandpizza @ 06/26/12 02:36 PM
That cover is awful, Rose barely played last year and will barely play this year, Blake Griffin jumps high wow good for him.. I don't understand what they're trying to do? They went from the 3 greatest most known NBA players of all time to 3 guys who didn't do crap this last season, what are they thinking? This game better still have legend teams in it or I will be pissed

# 67 VDusen04 @ 06/26/12 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
That cover is awful, Rose barely played last year and will barely play this year, Blake Griffin jumps high wow good for him.. I don't understand what they're trying to do? They went from the 3 greatest most known NBA players of all time to 3 guys who didn't do crap this last season, what are they thinking? This game better still have legend teams in it or I will be pissed
To be fair, I'm not sure it would have been a sound business plan for 2K to forever lace their basketball game covers with only legendary players of days gone by. I mean, I'd personally love it, but we know they couldn't do that forever.

Instead, they opted for the now and the future. Three very exciting current players in today's NBA. Again, I'm thinking the Rose decision was made and set in stone well before his playoff injury. And the other two players seem to be shaping up as perennial all-stars. And whether folks respect Griffin's skill or not, he's still an exciting, attention-grabbing 21 and 11 guy. I loosely liken this to NBA Live '95 hypothetically opting for a cover of Shaquille O'Neal, Scottie Pippen, and Shawn Kemp. Some dominance, some greatness, some skilled excitement (which may have been cooler than the cover they chose, of John Starks passing out of a shot).

# 68 JBreezeNY @ 06/26/12 02:48 PM
That cover looks horrendous good god

Could at least put a couple more designs on it, spruce it up a bit, something.

# 69 Championships @ 06/26/12 02:52 PM
I guess this confirms LeBron James is the cover athlete for NBA Live '13 unless Durant some how ends up on both covers..

I like the cover athletes, just don't like how they look on the cover.

# 70 Im LP @ 06/26/12 02:53 PM
I really didn't want LeBron so I'm glad all the speculation about him being on the cover was false. I like the cover athletes except I think the Blake Griffin selection is a bit too much, maybe somebody else, such as Dirk, Rondo, or even Westbrook would be nice too. Either way I'm still getting this game!

# 71 cyborg.ninja24 @ 06/26/12 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
"They went from the 3 greatest most known NBA players of all time to 3 guys who didn't do crap this last season" WTF!! Yes, Rose barely played. But to say Blake and Kevin didn't do jack last season is plain asinine. Kevin was the scoring champ, led his team to the Finals, and was 2nd in the MVP voting. Blake may be overrated/overhyped but he's one of the most exciting players in the league and a superstar in the making.

You must be a Kobe or LeBron fanboy. Kobe already graced the cover in 2K10 and too many people despise LeBron. The current cover is rather ehhh....they should have gave them each their own cover like last year. Blake's cover sold in the west, Rose in the east, and Durant in the midwest.

# 72 KSOR24 @ 06/26/12 03:22 PM
I'm more excited about the upcoming announcement than the reveal of the cover athletes Hopefully 2K doesn't disappoint this time

# 73 cyborg.ninja24 @ 06/26/12 03:25 PM
For those who are complaining, it could be worst. Imagine if Jeremy Lin was on the cover. I guessing Live will either have LeBron/Heat Trio or Lin on their cover.

# 74 cyborg.ninja24 @ 06/26/12 03:54 PM
To all the LeBron fanboys, yes he should be on the cover. But did you ever think why he hasn't grace the cover of an NBA game yet. (He did share the the cover of NBA 09: The Inside with 5 other players---but that cover doesn't count) How many NBA games has been released in his nine season career? Between 2K, Live, Street, and Ballers, there have been 20+ games. Hmmmm......LeBron probably wants too much money.

You can't hate on 2K for their cover picks, they have 3 players with the top ten selling NBA jerseys.

2011-12 Top Selling NBA Jerseys in the United States

1. Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls

2. Jeremy Lin, New York Knicks

3. Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers

4. LeBron James, Miami Heat

5. Carmelo Anthony, New York Knicks

6. Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat

7. Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas Mavericks

8. Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder

9. Blake Griffin, Los Angeles Clippers

10. Rajon Rondo, Boston Celtic

# 75 jbthegreat @ 06/26/12 04:03 PM
This means Live has Lebron on lock as their coverboy

# 76 AVONFTW @ 06/26/12 04:07 PM
I don't know why y'all think this means LeBron is on Live. Maybe Lebron is taking the Barkley route, he did say he wanted to be the first billionaire athlete. He is not just gonna sell his rights to anyone. And with live coming off hiatus, he probably doesn't want the blame for the game not selling.

# 77 cyborg.ninja24 @ 06/26/12 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVONFTW
I don't know why y'all think this means LeBron is on Live. Maybe Lebron is taking the Barkley route, he did say he wanted to be the first billionaire athlete. He is not just gonna sell his rights to anyone. And with live coming off hiatus, he probably doesn't want the blame for the game not selling.
EA needs something special on their cover after a two year hiatus. If EA threw enough money at LeBron, how can he say no? Live will either have LeBron/Heat Trio or Jeremy Lin. The wild card cover athletes would be Rondo or Chris Paul. Anybody else would be lackluster especially considering 2K's dominance of the market.

# 78 ojandpizza @ 06/26/12 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg.ninja24
"They went from the 3 greatest most known NBA players of all time to 3 guys who didn't do crap this last season" WTF!! Yes, Rose barely played. But to say Blake and Kevin didn't do jack last season is plain asinine. Kevin was the scoring champ, led his team to the Finals, and was 2nd in the MVP voting. Blake may be overrated/overhyped but he's one of the most exciting players in the league and a superstar in the making.

You must be a Kobe or LeBron fanboy. Kobe already graced the cover in 2K10 and too many people despise LeBron. The current cover is rather ehhh....they should have gave them each their own cover like last year. Blake's cover sold in the west, Rose in the east, and Durant in the midwest.
I didn't say Blake wasn't exciting or that I didn't like any of those 3 players, I like them all, and never said i was a Kobe or LeBron fan, i didnt mention either o them at all..but none of the 3 they chose accomplished anything, I would have been way more satisfied with just Durant or just Rose, but those 3 guys together, terrible mix.. If they were gonna go 3 guys why not go Bosh, Wade and LeBron holding the trophy or Duncan, Manu, Parker, or something, at least that would make some damn sense!.. Personally I would rather had a one athlete cover anyways

# 79 ojandpizza @ 06/26/12 04:27 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing a Jordan Pippen Rodman up top and a Bron, Wade, Bosh along the bottom cover with the 2k13 in the center, tell me that wouldn't be badass lol.. To me this conver not only has a poor choice of players but it's just ugly as hell, and colors don't match.. I hope each has their own cover when released instead of all 3 on 1 cover

# 80 Str0mTropper @ 06/26/12 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbthegreat
This means Live has Lebron on lock as their coverboy
No it does not at all.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.