Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

2K Sports Crowns Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin
and Derrick Rose as Cover Athletes for NBA® 2K13

Trio of young superstars represents the “New Dynasty” of NBA legends

New York, NY – June 26, 2012 – 2K Sports today announced that the Oklahoma City Thunder’s Kevin Durant, Los Angeles Clippers’ Blake Griffin and the Chicago Bulls’ Derrick Rose have been crowned the cover athletes for NBA® 2K13, the next installment of the top-selling and top-rated NBA video game simulation franchise*.

”Being crowned as one of the NBA 2K13 cover athletes is a huge honor and something I always dreamt about,” said Durant, who won his third straight scoring title and led the Thunder franchise to their first NBA Finals appearance since 1996. “It’s definitely humbling to grace the cover after the likes of Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, and Larry Bird.”

“There’s so much young talent around the NBA, so it’s very exciting to be chosen for NBA 2K’s ‘New Dynasty’ alongside Kevin and Derrick,” added Griffin, who helped lead the Clippers to their first postseason since 2006. “The NBA 2K series has always been my first choice when I want to get a game in.”

“It’s a dream come true to be one of the cover athletes for NBA 2K13,” commented Rose, the 2010-11 NBA Most Valuable Player, who led the Bulls to a league-best 50-16 record this season. “I’ve worked closely with 2K Sports since NBA 2K10, and I’m honored to follow in the footsteps of Michael Jordan as the latest Chicago Bull to be featured on the cover.”

In their young but impressive careers, Rose, Durant and Griffin have each taken the NBA by storm. All three are past winners of the NBA Rookie of the Year award, and have also amassed eight All-Star berths, three scoring titles, and one Most Valuable Player award between them.

“There are many young superstars in today’s NBA, but we’ve selected three incredible athletes for the cover of NBA 2K13 that represent the NBA well,” concluded Jason Argent, vice president of marketing for 2K Sports. “It’s clear to us that Blake, Derrick and Kevin are the most deserving guys to inherit the NBA 2K cover from Jordan, Magic and Bird.”

Developed by Visual Concepts, a 2K Sports studio, NBA 2K13 is not yet rated by the ESRB and will be available on October 2, 2012 in North America and October 5, 2012 internationally. The Wii U version of the title will be available during the holiday season. Fans are encouraged to pre-order now at participating retailers in order to receive the downloadable NBA All-Star content package presented by Sprite on day one at no extra cost.

For more information on 2K Sports, visit www.2KSports.com.

For more information on NBA 2K13, visit http://www.facebook.com/NBA2K.

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 jeebs9 @ 06/26/12 04:39 PM
I like it... I mean the last 2 years we've had a God on the front cover. So you just have to wonder who will follow it up with. The best option has to be with the up and coming players. I feel bad for Rose though. He's going to miss a lot of time.

I think if LeBron wins again. You might see him up there next year. I think by then a lot of peoples opinions will change of him if that happens again.

Oh well great cover 2K!

# 82 Colts18 @ 06/26/12 04:47 PM
I would have personally saved the Tri-Cover so I could have 3 different covers for the next 3 years. But what do I know?

# 83 cyborg.ninja24 @ 06/26/12 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
I didn't say Blake wasn't exciting or that I didn't like any of those 3 players, I like them all, and never said i was a Kobe or LeBron fan, i didnt mention either o them at all..but none of the 3 they chose accomplished anything, I would have been way more satisfied with just Durant or just Rose, but those 3 guys together, terrible mix.. If they were gonna go 3 guys why not go Bosh, Wade and LeBron holding the trophy or Duncan, Manu, Parker, or something, at least that would make some damn sense!.. Personally I would rather had a one athlete cover anyways
"none of the 3 they chose accomplished anything"
Huh?!? Durant led the league in scoring, 2nd in MVP voting, and led his team to the FINALS!!
Blake was All-NBA 2nd team, averaged 20 and 10, help vitalized the Clips and led them to the playoffs.
If give you Rose but to say the other two did not accomplish anything is ludicrous. I guess by your logic, you either have to win the championship or MVP or you don't deserve to be on the cover.

Besides, gracing the cover is not about accomplishments---it's about marketability and sales. You have three of the most popular and exciting young players in the NBA. Rose may not played much last season but he still have the #1 selling jersey while Durant and Blake were #8 and #9 respectively. Hmmm.....that's got to mean something.

BTW, T-Mac was on the cover of Live 07 after being injured and missing the entire playoffs. Arenas was on the cover of Live 08 after also missing the entire playoffs from previous season. Melo was on the cover after his rookie season----heck he didn't even win Rookie of the Year.

# 84 DJ @ 06/26/12 05:10 PM
I'm good with the choices for the cover, although I wish they used the 3-person cover for 2K12 with Magic, Bird and MJ, instead of the 3 separate covers.

Still, at the end of the day, what matters most is what's on the disc.

# 85 jd@os @ 06/26/12 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsufan4423
Stop with the cover athletes, Just put the whole team....

Why is Michael Jordan standing next to Shane Battier on the middle row?

# 86 ojandpizza @ 06/26/12 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg.ninja24
"none of the 3 they chose accomplished anything"
Huh?!? Durant led the league in scoring, 2nd in MVP voting, and led his team to the FINALS!!
Blake was All-NBA 2nd team, averaged 20 and 10, help vitalized the Clips and led them to the playoffs.
If give you Rose but to say the other two did not accomplish anything is ludicrous. I guess by your logic, you either have to win the championship or MVP or you don't deserve to be on the cover.

Besides, gracing the cover is not about accomplishments---it's about marketability and sales. You have three of the most popular and exciting young players in the NBA. Rose may not played much last season but he still have the #1 selling jersey while Durant and Blake were #8 and #9 respectively. Hmmm.....that's got to mean something.

BTW, T-Mac was on the cover of Live 07 after being injured and missing the entire playoffs. Arenas was on the cover of Live 08 after also missing the entire playoffs from previous season. Melo was on the cover after his rookie season----heck he didn't even win Rookie of the Year.
First of all nobody cares who live picked for past covets because live sucks, and second of all Jordan on the past two cover, before that Kobe coming off a CHAMPIONSHIP, before that Garnett coming off a CHAMPIONSHIP, I don't know why they would go from that to 3 guys who not only didnt win anything but they have nothing at all on common, nothing ties them together to be on the cover, it just does not make any sense... And once again I NEVER said those 3 players weren't good or great, I said they didn't do anything, I just don't see how you go from Jordan, Magic, Bird to Durant, Rose, Griffin, I mean wtf?

And maybe the fact that you can't read or comprehend the fact that I'm not trying to dis those players is what's ludicrous..

# 87 sparkdawg777 @ 06/26/12 05:25 PM
Michael Jordan should be on the cover every year period.

# 88 MarvellousOne @ 06/26/12 05:39 PM
I can live with those guys as the cover athletes, I just hope the cover isn't plan jane like that promo one lol

# 89 ojandpizza @ 06/26/12 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvellousOne
I can live with those guys as the cover athletes, I just hope the cover isn't plan jane like that promo one lol
I know it's so ugly, I'm really hoping each has their own cover like they did with Jordan Bird and Magic, cause the one from the picture is awful

# 90 kmiree16 @ 06/26/12 05:47 PM
Rose and Griffin are kind of odd choices to me. I mean they're both young stars, but Blake was the big story in the 2011 season as well as Rose. Blake wasn't as big in the media last season and Rose was injured for a good part of it.

Even though Durant lost in the finals, I can see him being on the cover as he won the scoring title for the 3rd straight season and everyone was crowning him as the "heir apparent" before the finals.

# 91 VDusen04 @ 06/26/12 06:29 PM
Quote:
First of all nobody cares who live picked for past covets because live sucks, and second of all Jordan on the past two cover, before that Kobe coming off a CHAMPIONSHIP, before that Garnett coming off a CHAMPIONSHIP, I don't know why they would go from that to 3 guys who not only didnt win anything but they have nothing at all on common, nothing ties them together to be on the cover, it just does not make any sense... And once again I NEVER said those 3 players weren't good or great, I said they didn't do anything, I just don't see how you go from Jordan, Magic, Bird to Durant, Rose, Griffin, I mean wtf?

And maybe the fact that you can't read or comprehend the fact that I'm not trying to dis those players is what's ludicrous..
To be fair, Michael Jordan's likely not going to be topped. There wasn't really going to be any current player that was going to be able to outshine MJ, Magic Johnson, and Larry Bird. So somehow, someway, 2K was going to have to bridge the gap from Jordan, Magic, and Bird. I'd say selecting an NBA Finalist (2nd in MVP voting, 3-time scoring champion), an NBA MVP (one year removed), and one of the most recognizable and exciting up-and-coming All-Stars all on one cover isn't too rough of a way to bridge that gap.

Yes, NBA2K has had champions on their cover before (Ben Wallace 2K5, Shaquille O'Neal 2K7, Kevin Garnett 2K9, Kobe Bryant 2K10) but clearly a championship has never guaranteed a cover, as those guys represent just four of 2K's now fourteen editions.

In terms of what ties the 2K13 cover subjects together. . . they're young guns. 2K's tagline to the reveal article was "New Dynasty". 2K is looking to shift the focus toward the new, young batch on NBA assassins. And again, I think 2K could have done a lot worse than going with three exciting superstars who've sprung onto the scene in recent years to help lift each of their teams to new levels and prominence.

To say the cover subjects "haven't done anything" I suppose would be dependent upon what one considers to be "anything". In my opinion, they've all done a lot, and I have zero issue with any of them finding their way onto the cover of a video game. I do not believe the only players eligible for an NBA cover should be those who've won championships.

# 92 youvalss @ 06/26/12 07:09 PM
I wonder what it means when it comes to motion capture. Are they all taking part in it?

# 93 Sasquash @ 06/26/12 07:15 PM
At the end of the day no one's going to play the cover they're going to play the game so getting mad over a cover is pointless lmao..

# 94 first_playa419 @ 06/26/12 07:23 PM
Just because Lebron got a ring and MVP doesnt mean he deserves to be on the cover' they could've asked him and he turned them down. Or maybe 2k sports just decides who they want on the cover and they dont go by who won the championship or got MVP..

# 95 cyborg.ninja24 @ 06/26/12 08:35 PM
Quote:

I only reference Live because those cover athletes had sub-par seasons yet were able to graced the cover. Look at 2K, Iverson didn't win a single championship yet graced the cover for four straight years. Shaq (2K6) and Chris Paul (2K8) appeared on the cover and they didn't win the title nor the MVP the year before.

My point is the cover athlete is all about MARKETABILITY. It's not about accomplishments and accolades or who deserves to be on it. Look at all the other sport franchises and their cover athletes over the years. It is about which athlete will help you sell the most copies of the game. The hardcore fan will buy the game regardless of who is on the cover. The casual fan or a clueless parent will most likely buy the game based solely on who is on the cover.

# 96 NowAndLaterCARZ @ 06/26/12 08:36 PM
so there aren't 3 separate covers?

# 97 J_Posse @ 06/26/12 08:37 PM
Pretty sure that the cover athlete(s) are chosen way before the NBA Finals outcome. They had these three guys in mind for a while now and I like the choice.

I do find it funny that Kevin Durant, who is a known fan of the NBA Live series, is switching sides and heading on the 2K13 cover. I guess money does talk and bull**** walks.

Side-note: The cancellation of Elite, how that was handled and EA's lack of communication - Kevin didn't even that Live was returning until ASW - probably soured their relationship. Or the money was too much for Durantula to turn down.

From Spurs Nation/Bills Backer Clubhouse

# 98 spankdatazz22 @ 06/26/12 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLosophy
Bottom line, I don't have a problem with the cover or allstar weekend itself. I have a problem when the hype and promotion (i.e. facebook campaigns, twitter hashtag counts) is highly outlandish compared to the actual content or feature they are revealing. There's only so many "Wait till you see what we have this time" cards they can play on subpar surprises before people just write you off as selling wolf tickets.
I don't remember seeing them say they were making some fantastic announcement or that people's wildest dreams would come true with either the All Star announcement or the cover announcement. I could kind of see your argument regarding All-Star weekend, but to my knowledge there was nothing put out saying "this will be huge news". I think they said it was something hardcore fans would appreciate, or something to that effect. It was only people HERE that began raising their hopes that it'd be some huge gameplay reveal. I don't think they can be faulted for setting that expectation.

This cover situation was even less of a reach. Imo they tried to have some fun w/fans and let them guess who would be on the cover with a slow reveal. Again, there was never some "this will be the greatest thing ever so stay tuned" type announcement to my knowledge - it was simply clues as to who would be on the cover. This thread officially announced the cover. There was no announcement for an announcement, or any of the nonsense they've done in the past. Again, what hype? This thread popped up out of the blue. If you came into the thread expecting your dreams to be fulfilled that's your own fault for setting that expectation.

They have done somewhat outrageous things in the past and likely will in the future regarding hyping their product. But I don't see how these are two instances of unnecessary buildup/overrated hype.

# 99 cyborg.ninja24 @ 06/26/12 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
To be fair, Michael Jordan's likely not going to be topped. There wasn't really going to be any current player that was going to be able to outshine MJ, Magic Johnson, and Larry Bird. So somehow, someway, 2K was going to have to bridge the gap from Jordan, Magic, and Bird. I'd say selecting an NBA Finalist (2nd in MVP voting, 3-time scoring champion), an NBA MVP (one year removed), and one of the most recognizable and exciting up-and-coming All-Stars all on one cover isn't too rough of a way to bridge that gap.

Yes, NBA2K has had champions on their cover before (Ben Wallace 2K5, Shaquille O'Neal 2K7, Kevin Garnett 2K9, Kobe Bryant 2K10) but clearly a championship has never guaranteed a cover, as those guys represent just four of 2K's now fourteen editions.

In terms of what ties the 2K13 cover subjects together. . . they're young guns. 2K's tagline to the reveal article was "New Dynasty". 2K is looking to shift the focus toward the new, young batch on NBA assassins. And again, I think 2K could have done a lot worse than going with three exciting superstars who've sprung onto the scene in recent years to help lift each of their teams to new levels and prominence.

To say the cover subjects "haven't done anything" I suppose would be dependent upon what one considers to be "anything". In my opinion, they've all done a lot, and I have zero issue with any of them finding their way onto the cover of a video game. I do not believe the only players eligible for an NBA cover should be those who've won championships.
AMEN! Couldn't have said it any better. If Jeremy Lin would guarantee 2K13 better sales, 2K would throw him on the cover. It's all about MONEY.

# 100 J_Posse @ 06/26/12 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
I wonder what it means when it comes to motion capture. Are they all taking part in it?
Obviously, Rose is out of the question due to injury. I think they have some of his signature moves and shots in the game already, since I'm pretty sure he's done Mo-Cap work in the past.

I'd be a little surprised if Durant and Griffin can make it to a Mo-Cap session since I believe they both have commitments to team USA. Hopefully, 2K/VC can get them in before August or after September. We'll see......

From Spurs Nation/Bills Backer Clubhouse

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.