Home
NCAA Football 13 News Post

Due to concerns of the lack of field degradation (specifically on white jerseys) in the NCAA Football 13 demo, EA Sports has tweeted an image, showing it off in the game. For those of you not seeing any field degradation, it is likely tied to the quarter length.

Game: NCAA Football 13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 60 - View All
NCAA Football 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 mrprice33 @ 06/29/12 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metronomymarkus
thank you! i've been begging for this face mask since last year's version. i get no responses from EA...no responses from mods here.

just nothing, and it ticks me off because it is the most widely used facemask by qbs in the entire friggin college game. and what sucks (to add insult to injury), is that EA obviously knows this, yet they PUT RUNNING BACK FACE MASKS ON THE QBS....i don't know if they're doing this to piss people off or what, but this is getting out of hand. i cancelled my preorder 2 weeks ago, but have continued to check now and then whenever new screenshots are added...and STILL NOTHING, NOTHING...

this really annoys me...it's not like it's a CUSTOM face mask that nobody wears BUT one player, such as chris canty's custom face mask to prevent linemen from poking his eyes...

it's a friggin 2-bar that virtually 40% of qbs wear now, and ITS STILL NOT IN THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

buttttt, madden put in the game last year.... so what is the problem?!?

what is so difficult of taking the robot revo seen here...

and strippin the two vertical lines to have this....

EA, at LEAST put the damn mask IN the game. I have no qualms going in and editing EVERY SINGLE qb in the game. BUT, SHOW ME SOME EVIDENCE THAT IT'S IN THE GAME, and then i'll pre-order again.

if not, screw your game!! you've already disappointed me on everything else this year practically. i'll just pick up madden and WAIT ANOTHER YEAR until you guys have real-time physics, upgraded unis, and upgraded equipment!

---thank you
Why are you not banned yet?

# 42 mrprice33 @ 06/29/12 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon27
I think it looks good. Its noticeable, and its not overly done.

I think the example pics of the PSU/LSU game are the extreme though, its rare it ends up looking that bad.

Itd be nice if the game could mix it up from heavy wear, to lighter wear from game to game. but, it is what it is. All in all, I think it looks good.
I went to the 2010 Champs Sports Bowl and the field was terrible. They played the Capital One Bowl a week later in a pouring rain. The field was so bad they completely re-did it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/...gets-new-field

It's not a good comparison. The uni degradation shown here is pretty good.

# 43 CT Pitbull @ 06/29/12 07:16 PM
i am happier than a pig in ish....thank god its back this year...at least they responded

now...on to the ankle sock issue and the revo speed 2 bar mystery

# 44 sub9er @ 06/29/12 08:09 PM
the PSU vs LSU pics are by no means example pics just saying it was the last mud bowl I remember.

# 45 madman112 @ 06/29/12 08:38 PM
personally they show one pic, now id like to see serveral more pics. it be nice to see just how bad the uniforms can get. i want to know the when i hand off to my RB 35 times he will look like it at the end of the game.

# 46 blklightning @ 06/29/12 09:07 PM
Looks good. Hopefully it's in Madden as well. But I don't see any field degradation, only uniform degradation.

# 47 Ky3217 @ 06/29/12 09:28 PM
Personally, and I know people dont agree with me, I think that should be what the uniforms look like for non-inclement weather games

Rain games should cause uniform degradation like this

(Probably the best examples for colored and white uniforms)

Also, I dont know if already is, but how badly the uniforms degrade should also be based on the type of field the games are being played on.

Also, fields should degrade as the season progresses in dynasty modes. The above examples were played on grass. (Just a few examples that were, quick and easy to find). Those are probably be what we should see at worst realistically if EA ever implemented it correctly

# 48 jello1717 @ 06/29/12 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky3217
Personally, and I know people dont agree with me, I think that should be what the uniforms look like for non-inclement weather games

Also, I dont know if already is, but how badly the uniforms degrade should also be based on the type of field the games are being played on.

Also, fields should degrade as the season progresses in dynasty modes. The above examples were played on grass. (Just a few examples that were, quick and easy to find). Those are probably be what we should see at worst realistically if EA ever implemented it correctly
I hope like hell we don't see crap like that in the game.

The type of field has always mattered as field turf doesn't show up nearly as much.

# 49 Ky3217 @ 06/29/12 10:02 PM
That's why Im saying at the worst. Say they implemented field degradation through a season in dynasty. Jerseys should look like that if it's halfway, or farther, through the year and the game is being played in a downpour

# 50 PowerofRed25 @ 06/29/12 10:16 PM
Quote:

I edited the pictures out to keep the quote small.

One thing to keep in mind is that colleges and universities traditionally have better quality playing surfaces than high school programs. You won't see field turf degrade over time and you won't really see uniform degradation on field turf outside of some scuffing and obviously helmets getting dinged.

According to the FieldTurf website, over 100 colleges and universities at what was the D-1 level (FBS and FCS now) have field turf. There are 122 FCS schools, 123 FBS schools. Without doing the legwork, I'd imagine about 60-70% of FBS schools have some form of artificial surface. I'd be interested to see an official number. I know 4 of the 12 Big Ten schools have grass and 4 or 5 Big 12 schools have grass.

Either way, you really just don't see those Any Given Sunday, hurricane rains and wind, field torn to shreds, can't tell the difference between anyone type mud bowls all that often. And you know if it was put in the game, it would be entirely too often. Just like the stupid slip and fall in the rain animation they put in last year, it happens WAY too much and only to WR's and it's just dumb.

I'd like to see more light scuffs, helmet dings, paint scrapes and nothing too drastic that just destroys everything.

# 51 TDenverFan @ 06/29/12 10:18 PM
Quote:
That's why Im saying at the worst. Say they implemented field degradation through a season in dynasty. Jerseys should look like that if it's halfway, or farther, through the year and the game is being played in a downpour
Why would it matter if it's halfway through the year? You can wash a jersey after every game.

# 52 Ky3217 @ 06/29/12 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
I edited the pictures out to keep the quote small.

One thing to keep in mind is that colleges and universities traditionally have better quality playing surfaces than high school programs. You won't see field turf degrade over time and you won't really see uniform degradation on field turf outside of some scuffing and obviously helmets getting dinged.

According to the FieldTurf website, over 100 colleges and universities at what was the D-1 level (FBS and FCS now) have field turf. There are 122 FCS schools, 123 FBS schools. Without doing the legwork, I'd imagine about 60-70% of FBS schools have some form of artificial surface. I'd be interested to see an official number. I know 4 of the 12 Big Ten schools have grass and 4 or 5 Big 12 schools have grass.

Either way, you really just don't see those Any Given Sunday, hurricane rains and wind, field torn to shreds, can't tell the difference between anyone type mud bowls all that often. And you know if it was put in the game, it would be entirely too often. Just like the stupid slip and fall in the rain animation they put in last year, it happens WAY too much and only to WR's and it's just dumb.

I'd like to see more light scuffs, helmet dings, paint scrapes and nothing too drastic that just destroys everything.

Fair enough. Though even field turf wears down. Just not nearly as quickly as grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDenverFan
Why would it matter if it's halfway through the year? You can wash a jersey after every game.
You missed the point

# 53 PowerofRed25 @ 06/29/12 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDenverFan
And the grass field itself would usually get repaired or replaced after a foul weather game and be good as new for the next week.

You don't see many teams go through the season with just a terrible playing surface. Except my Chicago Bears, I'm convinced they keep the Soldier Field turf terrible to act as the 12th Man. They end up replacing the entire field 2 or 3 times a year.

# 54 PowerofRed25 @ 06/29/12 10:40 PM
Quote:
Fair enough. Though even field turf wears down. Just not nearly as quickly as grass
I would like to see field turf get a bit more marked up. Not as much worn down but just signs of use. The more an area gets played on, the more the rubber pellets and/or sand gets disturbed and redistributed and you can usually see some pretty clear areas of heavy use.

I also wish the pellet and grass movements that we get to see in replays were more readily available during actual gameplay. Maybe in relation to some non-rain/snow slips and falls by players.

# 55 mrprice33 @ 06/29/12 10:41 PM
Using what appears to be low-level high school football to illustrate how fields should look for major college programs is one of the funnier things I've seen on this site in a while.

# 56 Ky3217 @ 06/29/12 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
Using what appears to be low-level high school football to illustrate how fields should look for major college programs is one of the funnier things I've seen on this site in a while.
Just examples of how weather can affect uniforms. Nothing more, nothing less. The level of play isnt relevant

# 57 mrprice33 @ 06/29/12 10:58 PM
Quote:
Just examples of how weather can affect uniforms. Nothing more, nothing less. The level of play isnt relevant
No but the quality of stadium and field is. Would you use a dirt field in the Dominican Republic to compare to the field in Fenway?

Would you use your local YMCA's basketball court to compare to the floor at a new basketball arena?

# 58 Ky3217 @ 06/29/12 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
No but the quality of stadium and field is. Would you use a dirt field in the Dominican Republic to compare to the field in Fenway?

Would you use your local YMCA's basketball court to compare to the floor at a new basketball arena?
Last time I checked, grass affects a jersey the same way no matter what level the game is played at.

Same with dirt at a baseball field.

I wasnt calling the quality of the playing fields into question. I was showing how bad weather can affect jerseys. so again, the level of play is irrelevant

# 59 mrprice33 @ 06/29/12 11:08 PM
Quote:
Last time I checked, grass affects a jersey the same way no matter what level the game is played at.

Same with dirt at a baseball field.

I wasnt calling the quality of the playing fields into question. I was showing how bad weather can affect jerseys. so again, the level of play is irrelevant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyT0QX6o44I&feature=plcp

I was at this game. It was by far the rainiest game I've ever been to, and check out the uniforms near the end of the video when the rain kicks up. They're wet and dirty, but they aren't filthy. These games were played in a pro stadium on a pro field, not in your backyard. The quality of the turf, and the upkeep of it, makes a HUGE difference in how messed up jerseys get.

When you say "this is how it would be if EA did it realistically," you are trying to prove that what you posted is somehow a representation of what people see on Saturdays and Sundays in fields that cost millions of dollars to keep up.

It's not.

It's really not.

# 60 loccdogg26 @ 06/29/12 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub9er
2010 Capital One Bowl Penn State vs LSU is the last one I remember

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcOF5NHKpo8
The only reason the field is that awful was a combo of rain mixed with two bowl games and the Florida high school football championships being played around the same time frame.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.