Home
NHL 13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Software Engineer James Banting gives you a behind the scenes look at goalies in NHL 13. Goalies are powered by the all-new EA Sports Hockey IQ and feature goalie anticipation, complete limb movement and enhanced user goalie control.

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Weapon X @ 07/06/12 08:10 PM
Yeah, I'm hoping that the sick new animation they showed Rinne doing at 1:31 is the the more common desperation save animation, with the dive being for goalies with a certain floppiness rating or once every blue moon in the appropriate situation.

WX

# 2 bwiggy33 @ 07/06/12 08:30 PM
I'm sorry but that looks kind of pathetic. I'm sure they were just trying to show off the fact that goalies can make a variety of saves even when they're out of position but it just looks so unnatural. This is really getting out of control. I mean watch Quick, he slides back door to stop the one timer and his slide basically takes him way out of his crease (because of no momentum or control from the movement of the goalie) yet he can just dive completely across the crease to try and make a save. It truly looks terrible. I'm sorry I'm bashing this but to me it just doesn't look good at all. The actual controlled saves that a cool calm and collected goalie would make do look good though. Desperation just looks ridiculous. Plus the guy in the video says the goalies don't have to fully complete an animation anymore. Well what freaking goalie in the NHL is able to stop his save and at the same time fly across the crease? I'm pretty sure the answer is zero. Those goalies look like they should be tearing their ACL every time they go from a slide to a dive across the crease.

I know I've made it clear in some of the other threads but the goalies just move, react, and slide in hyperspeed. Obviously I know goalies are supposed to react fast but something about them has just always looked off. There is just such a lack of momentum that the goalies just look so bad at moving. I honestly don't know if I can handle that anymore. It really may be the deciding factor on whether or not I get this game.

# 3 gopher_guy @ 07/07/12 12:10 AM
The dives do look warp speed, but I think they look more ridiculous when they are shown over and over again, while there are only a couple people on the ice.

Hopefully they get slowed down a bit, because I agree they look too fast.

# 4 Weapon X @ 07/07/12 01:34 AM
^I starting thinking that perhaps the devs programmed it so that the Goalie Reaction Speed slider could curb this in the retail build...

WX

# 5 AllJuicedUp @ 07/07/12 02:19 AM
I just want to hear more about user controlled goalies. The goalie control in NHL 12 is an abomination for the user compared to the moves the cpu can pull off. Why users still don't have more control and access to animations the cpu has had for years now is ridiculous.

I'm afraid if there isn't a serious upgrade to user goalies, the trend away from 6 v 6 online is going to continue as less and less people want to play net. That is literally the only thing that keeps me coming back to this game. After playing quality 6 v 6 games, there's really no comparison to playing with the AI (online or off). Nothing beats an intense 6's game.

# 6 jesushaxyou @ 07/07/12 12:20 PM
I honestly don't think this is that bad. Sure the animations for diving look kind of unrealistic. But I didn't really pay attention to it, usually I just look at how bad it's going to screw me in net, and it doesn't look horrible. It looks now like I'm not just going to get cross-crease after cross-crease thrown at me for goal after goal. In NHL 12 even if I'm cheating and anticipating the play and pass perfectly it still doesn't matter, I get locked into an auto-save and can't move all the way across the crease. It looks like it may be fixed in '13. Kind of excited for it.

# 7 MizzouRah @ 07/07/12 01:36 PM
I will say, skating looks PHENOMENAL!!!

Really looking forward to seeing a game in motion with the new skating engine, it really looks realistic.

# 8 FBeaule04 @ 07/07/12 06:50 PM
What I saw just amazed me. On a 2 on 0, the goalies chance of making a save is around 10% max. Most 2 on 0 will end up in the net simply because it's impossible for a goalie at most level of covering all the bases. You don't know if it's going to be pass-shoot, pass-pass-shoot or shoot. Add to this the fake pass then shoot, fake shoot then pass then boom shot.

On the other side, what I'm seeing is that they have Jonathan Quick play like the real one. Far outside the crease, covering bottom part of the net like anyone. Quick might be the quickest goalie with his legs covering the lowest part, so guys have to aim high. I like that the goalie is going far outside to challenge shot, but...and there's a but, if the AI is good at keeping it's position outside the crease to play the angles and get back in position, it's much more tougher for the human to do the same!

I think that on SuperStar level, the goalies will be a tough challenge for casual players because if they can anticipate the coming options for shots, what are we left with, curve shots and money shots? I'm just hoping there's a fine line here between goalie greatness and some chances given to guys who are creative on the ice.

Not to rub in it to EA guys, but the goalies and AI last year we're so bad, it wasn't tough to improve them. So far, from what I'm seeing, there's an nice improvement. We'll see when the demo is available how it plays out.

# 9 gopher_guy @ 07/07/12 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBeaule04
I think that on SuperStar level, the goalies will be a tough challenge for casual players because if they can anticipate the coming options for shots, what are we left with, curve shots and money shots? I'm just hoping there's a fine line here between goalie greatness and some chances given to guys who are creative on the ice.
I really hope that goalies will be a challenge!

It seems like we will actually have to read the goalie this year. I can't wait to try it out, I hope it works like I think it will in my head. Have to try and see if the goalie is cheating, if he is fire one short side corner, if not go for the one timer.

I can't wait to get robbed of an easy one-timer goal by one of those diving saves lol

# 10 Vikes1 @ 07/07/12 10:16 PM
Just watched the video....damn!, I'm never going to score.

Seriously though, very glad to see what's being done to curb the cross crease goals. I have to admit when I really needed a goal vs the AI, I'd resort to this pretty cheap tactic. I'm glad to see the game will force me now to be a bit more creative.

# 11 AllJuicedUp @ 07/08/12 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
Just watched the video....damn!, I'm never going to score.

Seriously though, very glad to see what's being done to curb the cross crease goals. I have to admit when I really needed a goal vs the AI, I'd resort to this pretty cheap tactic. I'm glad to see the game will force me now to be a bit more creative.
but isn't the real problem that you can get those cross crease plays/passes so easily? In real life, those passes go in a HUGE percentage of the time. It's not cheap, its supposed to be hard to get a cross crease and relatively easy to finish.

Not saying this is going to ruin that, but there's a reason its a high percentage play. If this is ever going to be fixed correctly, it needs to be because it becomes harder to get to high scoring chance places on the ice, not because goalies can dive across the crease at warp speed.

# 12 06woz @ 07/08/12 12:50 PM
Players get momentum and friction, goalies remain able to slide without pushing?

Every stride matters, unless you're in net.

# 13 bwiggy33 @ 07/08/12 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupCrazyManiac
If it loks and play like this:... Then i ll be in Heaven! :-))http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=32qH9RMoiB4
HAHAH no **** right? That's all I ask of EA is to add goalies who move like this. If they ever do, this game will go from a 50% enjoyable all the way up to 90% in my eyes. That's how large this part of the game is to me. To me it would overshadow some of the other flaws the game has.

# 14 bwiggy33 @ 07/08/12 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogie Vachon
I said I like the way he moved.

Read what I posted.
The way you made it seem was as if he was talking about how the 2k goalie looked good, not just about the movement.

2k goalies look absolutely horrendous but for the most part play and move like a goalie should. EA's goalies have looked unbelievable since NHL 07 but they still have yet to change how the goalies move, which to me is absurd. I really would like to know if they even know or see how ugly the goalies move in this game. Just a major flaw to this game but it doesn't seem like there are many who do see this as a flaw. Then again I'm a former goalie and think the position is the most important in any sport so I tend to pay attention to the goalies in this game more than any other part.

# 15 LuGer33 @ 07/09/12 11:45 AM
The goalies in the final game won't move like the goalies in the Quick Clip raw footage. They will be tempered by momentum, physics, animations, etc. I believe that clip was just showing the goalie "tracking" (hence all the lines on the ice), and was likely a showcase of the "perfect goalies" Rammer talked about in an early interview.

They were not playing like that in the build of NHL 13 I played. They moved much more realistically and similar to the 2K8 footage above. Not exactly, but a lot closer than what's demonstrated in the trailer. I remember one specific example:

It was something like a 2 on 1 against Brodeur. He came out to challenge and I made a pass to the backdoor which was about where my winger ended up. Brodeur started to slide w/ the pass, but it was clear he was beat and so he sort of pathetically reached his glove out like you would see IRL in the same situation (independent limb control -- separate from the initial save animation; was awesome to see in motion) but didn't come close to the shot. Naturally, my winger drilled the post on an empty net from point blank range, but that's to be expected.

Point is, he didn't magically slide across the ice at warp speed to make the save like some of the ones we saw in that video. Like so many other features over the past few years (sticks breaking, helmet pops, glass shattering, etc.) I believe they "juiced" things a bit for promotional effect there.

The goalies will be the best they've ever been in NHL 13, in terms of realism, movement, save variety, etc., but they'll also be beatable unlike in that vid.

# 16 FBeaule04 @ 07/09/12 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuGer33
The goalies in the final game won't move like the goalies in the Quick Clip raw footage. They will be tempered by momentum, physics, animations, etc. I believe that clip was just showing the goalie "tracking" (hence all the lines on the ice), and was likely a showcase of the "perfect goalies" Rammer talked about in an early interview.

They were not playing like that in the build of NHL 13 I played. They moved much more realistically and similar to the 2K8 footage above. Not exactly, but a lot closer than what's demonstrated in the trailer. I remember one specific example:

It was something like a 2 on 1 against Brodeur. He came out to challenge and I made a pass to the backdoor which was about where my winger ended up. Brodeur started to slide w/ the pass, but it was clear he was beat and so he sort of pathetically reached his glove out like you would see IRL in the same situation (independent limb control -- separate from the initial save animation; was awesome to see in motion) but didn't come close to the shot. Naturally, my winger drilled the post on an empty net from point blank range, but that's to be expected.

Point is, he didn't magically slide across the ice at warp speed to make the save like some of the ones we saw in that video. Like so many other features over the past few years (sticks breaking, helmet pops, glass shattering, etc.) I believe they "juiced" things a bit for promotional effect there.

The goalies will be the best they've ever been in NHL 13, in terms of realism, movement, save variety, etc., but they'll also be beatable unlike in that vid.
You said you've played a build of NHL 13. Don't you mind talking about glitch shots and money goals we say in the previous version? Is the curve shot still effective from most spot on the ice or the goalie can be beat once but then adapt?

# 17 LuGer33 @ 07/09/12 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBeaule04
You said you've played a build of NHL 13. Don't you mind talking about glitch shots and money goals we say in the previous version? Is the curve shot still effective from most spot on the ice or the goalie can be beat once but then adapt?
Out of curiosity, did you play NHL 08 or NHL 09? The curve shot actually hasn't been in the game in a few years. There's sort of a "whip / drag shot" that works from a specific area of the ice, but it's really not that hard to defend and its percentage isn't anywhere near the NHL 09 curve shot.

I didn't notice the whip shot being overly effective in NHL 13, although I didn't test it out too much because I was mostly playing fellow attendees and I wasn't trying to "glitch" them, so to speak. I know a few guys dabbled quite a bit in practice mode though and were trying things out, showing exploits and specific moves to the developers, etc., so I'm sure the whip shot was tested extensively. I'll snoop around & try to get an answer.

# 18 FBeaule04 @ 07/09/12 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuGer33
Out of curiosity, did you play NHL 08 or NHL 09? The curve shot actually hasn't been in the game in a few years. There's sort of a "whip / drag shot" that works from a specific area of the ice, but it's really not that hard to defend and its percentage isn't anywhere near the NHL 09 curve shot.

I didn't notice the whip shot being overly effective in NHL 13, although I didn't test it out too much because I was mostly playing fellow attendees and I wasn't trying to "glitch" them, so to speak. I know a few guys dabbled quite a bit in practice mode though and were trying things out, showing exploits and specific moves to the developers, etc., so I'm sure the whip shot was tested extensively. I'll snoop around & try to get an answer.
It's pretty great to hear that. It was a real breaker for me and a friend playing online. To be quite honest, if there's a lot of glitching possible with NHL 13, we will be done with the game and play mostly online carreer on Madden.

As for the curve shot, yep, my bad. I was mostly talking of 2-3 money shots working every year. Call it curve shot, wraparound, peek-a-boo, toe-drag entering the zone and aiming the other side, etc. Every year (yep, I'm playing extensively the game even though I'm not that good) since 08 and every year, there's something preventing fair people to fully enjoy the game.

Thanks for the answer LuGer, was nice to read insight info. :-)

# 19 LuGer33 @ 07/09/12 02:10 PM
No problem guys.

Quote:
As for the curve shot, yep, my bad. I was mostly talking of 2-3 money shots working every year. Call it curve shot, wraparound, peek-a-boo, toe-drag entering the zone and aiming the other side, etc. Every year (yep, I'm playing extensively the game even though I'm not that good) since 08 and every year, there's something preventing fair people to fully enjoy the game.
Yeah I understand. It's just the curve shot was SO game breaking in NHL 09 (to the point where you could enter the offensive zone, curl, and fling far side for a goal 9/10 times from basically anywhere on the ice) that I just feel like it's worth differentiating between what we had back then and some of the still annoying but less effective exploits currently in the game.

Plus ya know, thank the lawd this can't happen anymore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjvxbU8FjEs

# 20 FBeaule04 @ 07/09/12 05:28 PM
I hope you're right Realm with the final product, but I would have to defend Rogie on this one, because, I'm sorry your honor, but we had precedent last year.

Remember Realm when Rammer was saying that the AI will now...I guess you know where I'm going. I got sent a bunch of answer telling me I was looking to far away, I had only clips, etc, etc.

Guess what, the AI played almost to the dumbness I had seen in the clips and was affraid it would translate in the game. Not only the final product showed the AI was more dumb than ever, but on top of that, EA told us that they had work most on the AI this year than in the last 3 year combined.

For Rogie, I understand the questions and disbelief from what he see so far. If there was no precedent, I would say that EA should have a pass on negative comments before the game is out, but EA as led us to be really critics with implementations of new things.

Overall, I hope you're right and Rogie's seeing to much black and not enough gray in the goalies work EA's done. Then again, after last year, I would be the last to throw rocks at him because EA is able to amaze you with their work as well as to make you say WTF?

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.