Home
News Post

The penalties are in. In what was unprecedented and swift action against Penn State University (which Penn State fully agreed with), the NCAA did the following:

• Four Year Postseason Ban
  • Reduced Scholarships to 65 total over the next four years -- making Penn State a functional FCS team.
  • $60 million fine, or one year gross revenue from the football program.
  • Any player can freely transfer to another school without penalty.
  • All wins vacated from 1998 to 2011.
So what do you think? Did the NCAA go far enough in their penalties against Penn State?

Sound off!

Member Comments
# 21 Dirty Turtles @ 07/23/12 10:28 AM
I'm a Penn State fan and live 30 miles away from State college. I think the sanctions are fine, but I can't say the same for the vast majority of people currently posting on my Facebook wall. This isn't the death of a program, this is a chance at a full rebirth.

# 22 supermanemblem @ 07/23/12 10:31 AM
Emmert wants to be Goddell. NCAA had no business in this, nor the Big Ten. This looks like Emmert went vigilante.

# 23 lonewolf371 @ 07/23/12 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanemblem
Emmert wants to be Goddell. NCAA had no business in this, nor the Big Ten. This looks like Emmert went vigilante.
The sanctions were announced in cooperation with the Penn State administration. Due to that, there's really no problem with what the NCAA did.

# 24 Retropyro @ 07/23/12 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanner
But isn't that life? They can go play elsewhere with no wait which is nice. They can stay and have their college paid for and play if they like...

To me, they're lucky to be innocent bystanders for such a heinous act .. It's life. Ask ex employees of crooked CEO's if they would have like the opportunity to keep pay for the duration of their contract or transfer to another company... Leaders are supposed to lead and be exemplary in their job and keep ethics and morals high at all times -- Not cover up something this bad just because they were scared it would tarnish the program for a year or two. They were so worried they'd lose out for a year or two that no one did anything, and ultimately caused the program to LOSE a lot more by inaction of a heinous event.
I agree that's life. I just don't see a valid reason for that part of the punishment. Allow them to play bowl games, but have all proceeds the school makes from those games go to a fund dedicated to the victims.

The NCAA had an opportunity to punish the leaders who failed and them alone.

# 25 bgeno @ 07/23/12 10:36 AM
Ridiculous. They gained no competitive edge and I still don't know what NCAA sanction they violated.

NCAA had no business punishing Penn State. It was a legal matter, not a football matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 26 Ramminyou @ 07/23/12 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJetsfan
I don't like it for 1 reason and 1 reason only, but for anything that actually effects Penn State, mind you.

I don't like this because it will take away money from Inn Keepers, restaurant owners, gift shops, etc, etc. from around Happy Valley. You are punishing them for something that they had nothing to do with.
So what? If PSU got punished for repeated recruiting violations and were punished as harshly under the provision for repeat offenders, would you still say the punishment was too severe?

# 27 bigsmallwood @ 07/23/12 10:37 AM
I think its pretty harsh and fitting....essentially a working death penalty. I still wish they would have just gave them the death penalty for 4 years and still wiped Paternos wins....but this will work....as long as they allow the players to transfer without losing eligibility.

# 28 Pokes @ 07/23/12 10:39 AM
Well, this punishment is harsh, but it could have been worse. I still don't see why the NCAA sought to rush this issue when there are still cases tied up in the courts. I'm curious about how this $60M fine is going to be handled; I don't want the NCAA getting a dime from PSU over this.

# 29 OSUFan_88 @ 07/23/12 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeno
Ridiculous. They gained no competitive edge and I still don't know what NCAA sanction they violated.

NCAA had no business punishing Penn State. It was a legal matter, not a football matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So the PR advantage they got from not having a pedophile coaching the defense wasn't a football advantage?

Also, it's clear that the football running the school was the reasoning behind this punishment. If it wasn't for a highly influential football program, they probably go to the police.

# 30 spacefunk @ 07/23/12 10:41 AM
They got off easy. Not even one game will not be played. I don't wanna hear anything about the NCAA not having jurisdiction to punish them. The FOOTBALL coach used his power to cover up another FOOTBALL coach that was using FOOTBALL facilities to RAPE CHILDREN! That is much bigger than what SMU or USC or anyone else did. And those blind as a bat fans will get to fill that stadium just to troll the rest of us. "WE ARE.....STILL HERE! LOLZ!"

# 31 Yung Goat 404 @ 07/23/12 10:43 AM
I agree with everything except the 4 year bowl ban. those kids are being punished also and i know they can transfer and all but what about the ones who just wanted to play at Penn State they whole life

# 32 OSUFan_88 @ 07/23/12 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Goat 404
I agree with everything except the 4 year bowl ban. those kids are being punished also and i know they can transfer and all but what about the ones who just wanted to play at Penn State they whole life
The bowl ban doesn't ban them from playing regular season games.

# 33 aukevin @ 07/23/12 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasprite
I think the AA went too far with this because I think they have no business in this situation. I still have yet to see what NCAA bylaw that Penn State violated.
The football team benefited from the cover-up, that's why the NCAA stepped in. It stinks for the current players that have to play in a crappy situation since they didn't do anything wrong, and it could affect how far they go in their football careers, but the program did wrong and had to be punished.

Like I said in one of the other threads, the main thing I'm happy about is that Paterno's winning legacy was erased with the vacated wins. In most cases, I think vacated wins are kind of weird, but in this case it makes a difference by taking him off the most wins record. Now he can be remembered for this new legacy, which would only be better if he could live through it.

# 34 Ramminyou @ 07/23/12 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Goat 404
Do you disagree with every bowl ban ever handed down? Because I promise that most of the kids who suffer from bowl bans never had anything to do with the sanctions imposed.

# 35 seasprite @ 07/23/12 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
I don't get why the NCAA don't have jurisdiction here. They placed santions on USC because Reggie Bush family worked out a deal with an agent. That had nothing to do with USC. However the NCAA essentially ruled that the university had the obligation to find out and act on it. In this case they knew something illegal were taking place and covered it up so the team could remain competive. If that doesn't fall under the NCAA jurisdiction I don't know what is?
They placed sanctions (albeit too harsh IMO) on USC because there was a specific bylaw that was broken and the AA cited this bylaw in that case. In this case, there isnt a bylaw that was broken, even though people want to point to the ethics in this case. Go read bylaw 10.1 which deals with ethical conduct, you will find that in every single sub there, the AA clearly states this bylaw with having to do with grades, benefits, and other bylaws stated in the manual. Again, the AA needs to state what bylaw Penn State broke here. Im not saying they shouldnt be punished, but I feel the AA went about it the wrong way and simply deciding that you are going to alter the bylaws after the fact is something that I think could be very dangerous with that group.

# 36 Pokes @ 07/23/12 10:49 AM
So if PSU is being punished for the complicity of the football program retroactively in these events; then a serious look needs to be made at Notre Dame over the falling death of that student filming their practices, and at Colorado for those recruiting rape parties that occurred in the mid to late 90s.

# 37 Wildcats302 @ 07/23/12 10:51 AM
I'm ok with it, would have liked to seen it even worse if possible.

And Penn State fans really should not even comment on this...you just come off looking arrogant and petty IMO. I do applaud the few Penn State fans who own up to this and say we deserved harsh terms because well, your program does deserve these terms and some.

# 38 br329 @ 07/23/12 10:52 AM
Joe Schad@schadjoe Big Ten fines PSU $13 M and confirms they are not eligible for conference title game for four years

# 39 Reed1417 @ 07/23/12 10:53 AM
Loss off 10 scholarships over 4 years, no bowl appearances for 4 years and a fine of 60 million dollars. as much as i dont agree with the NCAA punishing the kids already there but something had to be done to send a message. And i'm ok with it. Plus PSU agreed to the sanctions so if they agreed then it does not really matter if the NCAA had the right to get involved or not. It's still sick to know that it was a big cover up i mean really? just....c'mon man. I dont understand how you can just sit by while kids are being raped right under your nose.

# 40 Ramminyou @ 07/23/12 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by br329
Joe Schad@schadjoe Big Ten fines PSU $13 M and confirms they are not eligible for conference title game for four years
So the AD will be $73 million lighter next year. Then you've got the civil suits/settlements and the DOE investigation. That's a not-so-Happy Valley. I don't even think boosters will be able to cover all of these costs once it's all over.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.