Home
News Post

The penalties are in. In what was unprecedented and swift action against Penn State University (which Penn State fully agreed with), the NCAA did the following:

• Four Year Postseason Ban
  • Reduced Scholarships to 65 total over the next four years -- making Penn State a functional FCS team.
  • $60 million fine, or one year gross revenue from the football program.
  • Any player can freely transfer to another school without penalty.
  • All wins vacated from 1998 to 2011.
So what do you think? Did the NCAA go far enough in their penalties against Penn State?

Sound off!

Member Comments
# 61 Perfect Zero @ 07/23/12 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
They could have fought. They finally didn't. I was giving them credit for taking a solid step and not dragging this out.
If they had of fought it, it would have been a political and PR nightmare. Just because they went along with it doesn't mean that they were 100% behind it. In a way, it signs future death warrants for their schools too.

# 62 Perfect Zero @ 07/23/12 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasprite
Its supposed to hurt the fans?
Yeah, remember? They are the ones that raped the kids.

# 63 ryan36 @ 07/23/12 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgopens66
I'm glad it hurts where you want it the most: the fanbase. It means the NCAA really chose the "correct" punishment.
Well without fans there's no program so yeah, make less people want to be fans. Make it harder to support the school temporarily - that's fine.

And ALL sanctions hurt fans ... PSU feels singled out and I'm not sure why.

You're going through what all schools who have been punished are. Nothing more.

# 64 ryan36 @ 07/23/12 11:29 AM
Name one sanction that doesn't hurt the fans.

Fans want success - sanctions make it harder to succeed.

# 65 Dirty Turtles @ 07/23/12 11:30 AM
Quote:
Well without fans there's no program so yeah, make less people want to be fans. Make it harder to support the school temporarily - that's fine.

I think it's because the program publicly touted being so squeaky and clean. They preached dignity and honor. I think there's a mindset that this couldn't possibly have ever happened at Penn State. (The rapid fall from grace, not the terrible acts.)

# 66 letsgopens66 @ 07/23/12 11:30 AM
Quote:

Yeah, because all sanctions dished out are like the ones Penn State just got. There is a reason we feel singled out.

# 67 ryan36 @ 07/23/12 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Turtles
I think it's because the program publicly touted being so squeaky and clean. They preached dignity and honor. I think there's a mindset that this couldn't possibly have ever happened at Penn State. (The rapid fall from grace, not the terrible acts.)
That's what I said in the other thread... If the people around PSU football won't come to the realization that this proves they had a dirty program - the sanctions become necessary.

# 68 ryan36 @ 07/23/12 11:32 AM
Quote:
Yeah, because all sanctions dished out are like the ones Penn State just got. There is a reason we feel singled out.
You lost some money... Bowl bans are standard - as are scholly losses.

# 69 br329 @ 07/23/12 11:33 AM
Quote:

It's not like you didn't deserve it...

# 70 thaima1shu @ 07/23/12 11:34 AM
Quote:
Name one sanction that doesn't hurt the fans.

Fans want success - sanctions make it harder to succeed.
This is what I was going to say. If a sanction doesn't hurt the fans, it's not really much of a sanction. I think the punishments are fine.

# 71 Ramminyou @ 07/23/12 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
How can there be an exodus when he was never there in the first place?
Yeah let's play the semantics game! He's "leaving" PSU in the sense that he was committed and now he's not. And he won't be the last.

# 72 letsgopens66 @ 07/23/12 11:36 AM
Quote:
You lost some money... Bowl bans are standard - as are scholly losses.
But of this magnitude?

# 73 Perfect Zero @ 07/23/12 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramminyou
Yeah let's play the semantics game! He's "leaving" PSU in the sense that he was committed and now he's not. And he won't be the last.
Usually when you have an exodus, that means a large population leaves. Maybe we should wait until things settle down before throwing that word around?

# 74 thaima1shu @ 07/23/12 11:38 AM
Quote:
But of this magnitude?
The punishment fits the severity of the crime.

# 75 brettford @ 07/23/12 11:38 AM
What if your manager and boss conspired to cover up a crime, were caught, fired, and then had charges brought against them.

Then the government held a press conference and said to you and the remaining employees: You are now being punished. Part of your pay/pension will be fined, you are required to eliminate several positions (but those who are left must do the same amount of work), and you are not allowed to have any time off or vacation for the next 4 years. You would then be preached to about how your company didn't have the right values and priorities.

You would be furious, right? You would (rightly) argue that the remaining people who are left had nothing to do with the scandal, either by action or knowledge.

Yet now you are the ones who must bear the punishment.

Like, am I wrong here? What am I missing? We all want to prevent what happened at PSU from happening again. I understand that. Have the remaining (completely innocent) individuals put in extra safeguards and controls. But spank them too?

Color me confused.

# 76 letsgopens66 @ 07/23/12 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaima1shu
The punishment fits the severity of the crime.
What about Curley, Schultz and Spanier? Does no even care about their punishment?

# 77 kingkilla56 @ 07/23/12 11:40 AM
Quote:
But of this magnitude?

Its almost like you forgot what happened on that campus that warranted a punishment of this magnitude. If anything Penn State should have imposed these sanctions on itself. They were about to go into the season as if nothing happened.

# 78 zanner @ 07/23/12 11:40 AM
Quote:
Give me a break. Fact is, you should be singled out. And the reason : I don't know anyone else who covered up a child molestation case for 10+ years and let the monster continue on the campus as if nothing happened. All in the name of keeping the football program "clean".

Ya, singling out a case of filth like this should happened. You're not a victim in this as much as some fans want to think they are. Fans and Players are far from victims with this punishment. Probably coulda been a little more and still been in line.

# 79 ryan36 @ 07/23/12 11:41 AM
Brett,

Your argument is therefore against all NCAA sanctions. You believe in no sanctions for anyone ever.

# 80 Hova57 @ 07/23/12 11:41 AM
so what happened at PSU wasn't as bad as what happened at SMU . they killed a program they didn't play at all. at least PSU can play a group of highly regarded men were involved in a coverup that involved children. this isn't over for PSU its the beginning they will lose alot more money in next four years than just what the big ten and ncaa just did

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.