Home
News Post

The penalties are in. In what was unprecedented and swift action against Penn State University (which Penn State fully agreed with), the NCAA did the following:

• Four Year Postseason Ban
  • Reduced Scholarships to 65 total over the next four years -- making Penn State a functional FCS team.
  • $60 million fine, or one year gross revenue from the football program.
  • Any player can freely transfer to another school without penalty.
  • All wins vacated from 1998 to 2011.
So what do you think? Did the NCAA go far enough in their penalties against Penn State?

Sound off!

Member Comments
# 121 liberaluser @ 07/23/12 12:12 PM
"But hey, if a guy rapes a kid, it's okay to mess with the mentality of the student athletes, plus an entire university, plus an entire economic area."

Keep minimizing what happened, that is really gonna help your case here. No really, keep it up with the excuses.

It does look like PSU fans do need to be knocked off their high horses frankly.

# 122 seasprite @ 07/23/12 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
I wonder how many of sanduskys victims are depressed and or suicidal.

As I wonder this I think that those victims may already have received a death penalty.

And as I think that, I don't care about Penn State football so much.

As I care about Penn State football less, I notice that Penn State fans think its unfair.

And then I remember so is raping children, and covering it up. And then I'm mad the sanctions aren't harder.
Just because one believes that the AA is sanctioning without cause in their governing bylaws, doesnt mean one doesnt think these acts were disgusting and the people who just let it happened shouldnt be punished heavily.......but this is a criminal matter and not a competitive governing issue. Thats the problem I have with it.

# 123 Perfect Zero @ 07/23/12 12:14 PM
Quote:
The fact that the town depends so heavily on football led people to think they could get away with fellating children. Yeah, slam em.

That same fact led people to think that they could over up said fellatio... so yeah slam em.

And the next time someone gets confronted with this there's no way in hell the coach says anything other than "report this NOW."
I would like to see the evidence of where the entire town of State College knew about what was going on. Otherwise, this is probably the saddest statement I have read about the entire ordeal.

# 124 ryan36 @ 07/23/12 12:15 PM
Seasprite , fair point.

All I would say is that they must have thought it was a competitive issue.

Why else would they not report it?

They didn't wanna be the university with a pedophile coach. They didn't want to have to recruit people to the university where children were abused in showers.

It's a story they didn't want to tell. They wanted to cover their FOOTBALL image.

So on that, I find it very much about the athletics. On this we can agree to disagree.

# 125 Ramminyou @ 07/23/12 12:16 PM
I don't know how many times it has to be said that the fact innocents are being punished is inconsequential unless someone is willing to argue against all institutional sanctions. If you don't think the NCAA has jurisdiction, that's a valid point that can be argued. Otherwise, all serious sanctions imposed by the NCAA impact innocent players and potentially the community at large. And I doubt the local bar owner is more willing to accept that he is doing less business because the school was violating recruiting rules than he would be because the school was involved in a sex abuse scandal.

# 126 da ThRONe @ 07/23/12 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanner
Again, you were trying to make a point based on an analogy. And you can't, because in business and in life innocents get punished because of boneheaded CEO's and leaders and the punishment for employees are a LOT worse and real than not being able to go to a bowl game.

If a murderer walks into the building and kills someone... And come to find out that the owner, CEO's, and Presidents of the building knew about it and allowed him back in the building for another 10 years to murder another person... Then yea, I don't think that building should function for a little bit because it's not right and monstrous.

And, now correct me if I'm wrong - But I missed the part that they're tearing down the stadium... They do still get to play on Saturdays .. Kids still get scholarships and school played for...
I'd use another example. If some building was used as a crack house or for prostitution and the law found out they would shut down that whole building most certainly.

# 127 ryan36 @ 07/23/12 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
I would like to see the evidence of where the entire town of State College knew about what was going on. Otherwise, this is probably the saddest statement I have read about the entire ordeal.
Somewhere PSU turned Paterno into a God.

The fact that they fought over the statue , the fact that somehow Paterno's legacy shouldn't be destroyed demonstrates that mentality.

Maybe we can all learn to keep the football in perspective the next time a squeaky clean self righteous deity of a coach decides he's too much of a hero to report horrible crimes

# 128 brettford @ 07/23/12 12:18 PM
This is one of those issues that becomes a "can you think like a rational adult test".

Some people just cannot even listen to the argument that we shouldn't punish people who didn't have anything to do with the crimes.

It just pushes a button and sets them off "KIDS WERE RAPED THATS MORE IMPORTANT THAN FOOTBALL THE PUNISHMENT SHOULD BE MORE!!!!11!!"

Yes. We understand. We also do not like child rape.

But your reactionary behavior is turning off your brain.

# 129 da ThRONe @ 07/23/12 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasprite
Just because one believes that the AA is sanctioning without cause in their governing bylaws, doesnt mean one doesnt think these acts were disgusting and the people who just let it happened shouldnt be punished heavily.......but this is a criminal matter and not a competitive governing issue. Thats the problem I have with it.
Well clearly they had the authority because they did so. Just because a particular drug or weapon isn't on the books specifically doesn't mean the police can't arrest you for having it.

# 130 ryan36 @ 07/23/12 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettford
This is one of those issues that becomes a "can you think like a rational adult test".

Some people just cannot even listen to the argument that we shouldn't punish people who didn't have anything to do with the crimes.

It just pushes a button and sets them off "KIDS WERE RAPED THATS MORE IMPORTANT THAN FOOTBALL THE PUNISHMENT SHOULD BE MORE!!!!11!!"

Again!! Your argument is necessarily against all NCAA sanctions because all sanctions affect innocent parties.

Are you against NCAA sanctions?

# 131 Perfect Zero @ 07/23/12 12:21 PM
Quote:

The fact that they fought over the statue , the fact that somehow Paterno's legacy shouldn't be destroyed demonstrates that mentality.

Maybe we can all learn to keep the football in perspective the next time a squeaky clean self righteous deity of a coach decides he's too much of a hero to report horrible crimes
Way to over-generalize the population. I guess that justifies cutting jobs and decreasing the economic growth of a town that is hit by the current recession. It really was the population that raped the kids, even if they really didn't even know what was going on.

# 132 ryan36 @ 07/23/12 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Well clearly they had the authority because they did so. Just because a particular drug or weapon isn't on the books specifically doesn't mean the police can't arrest you for having it.
All the d1 presidents decided they did have the authority. Or at least a governing committee...

And there is the fact that there will be no appeal. I say that's as authoritarian as it gets.

# 133 Hova57 @ 07/23/12 12:22 PM
Again coaching staff but two were all released , new AD and president no other jobs were lost within PSU . Your football coach at the time covered up a huge scandal. NCAA is a governing body that chose to use federal and state investigations along with PSU own internal investigation to enact these sanctions. Far too long have universities been allowed to coverup and rule on infractions of NCAA by law and federal and state laws. bout time NCAA does something. This was an extreme case but also very necessary. Though many may not see this point of view but to those victims PSU is a source of pain where things may have happened or because of it . Fans will have to deal, if your upset because a recruit will not go to your school or won't see your team in a bowl game there was a greater crime committed that was protected from site of those fans. how would you feel if you your child was involved in this ....

# 134 Dirty Turtles @ 07/23/12 12:22 PM
Quote:

My thought exactly.

# 135 ryan36 @ 07/23/12 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
Way to over-generalize the population. I guess that justifies cutting jobs and decreasing the economic growth of a town that is hit by the current recession. It really was the population that raped the kids, even if they really didn't even know what was going on.
Ok so would you argue against sanctions if someone paid the quarterback? Those too would affect the town.

# 136 kingkilla56 @ 07/23/12 12:23 PM
Quote:

This isnt about thinking like a rational adult, or agreeing with everything you say, or turning our brains on. This is a polarizing conflict with various opinions on every side of the case. People dont agree with you, get used to it. Dont patronize people.

# 137 liberaluser @ 07/23/12 12:24 PM
I think the irrational children are the PSU fans for the most part.

"But I didnt doooooo anything, your hurting all the poor kids playing football because a few kids got raped? BUT THINK OF THE CHILDREN! I just wanna watch good football! That's what I payed for boohoohoo."

# 138 ryan36 @ 07/23/12 12:25 PM
Ok stop with the insults. now.

# 139 da ThRONe @ 07/23/12 12:25 PM
Quote:

I agree with not punishing the innocent. However taking away wins and bowl appearances isn't a punishment IMO. Taking away a scholarship from a kid is a punishment.

All the punishment hurt the institute of football which is far from innocent.

# 140 zanner @ 07/23/12 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
I'd use another example. If some building was used as a crack house or for prostitution and the law found out they would shut down that whole building most certainly.
There's plenty examples agreed, I was just running with the example the other poster used.

It's amazing to me that some are actually crying about the rights of players and university and mainly because they lost a Bowl Game for four years...

4 bowl games... Would be better off if they shut the program down for a year or two... That way when these "innocent players" go on the road they won't be so ashamed and chastised by the other fans. That way Penn State fans won't have to endure the taunts coming their way because a monster was allowed to walk on campus and prey on kids for 10+ years, and people did nothing.. And some fans won't have to look so ridiculous and arrogant in thinking somehow that this isn't justified given what the program and university allowed and covered up.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.