Home
NHL 13 News Post

EA Sports has posted another NHL 13 blog. This one covers the new AI system in multi-season leagues, which handles computer trades, drafts and more. They call it GM Brain.

Quote:
The first ‘in-game’ problem we had to solve was our previous Player Growth model. Previous NHL titles set every player in the league off on a trajectory of offensive growth, defensive ability growth, and athletic skill growth. The main problem with that approach was that there was no way to control it once it began. If enough players grew too well, we’d have salary creep, leading to too many players asking for too much money. We had no real way to manage overall league growth within our old system, so the old Player Growth Model had to go.

In NHL 13,we are now able to control growth patterns that will basically fall within historical tendencies we want to model. Games Modes Producer Gurn Sumal (and hockey stats/history junkie) analyzed all kinds of source data to see how often draft picks selected in a specific round went on to achieve greatness in the NHL, and how often they never went beyond the AHL. We are able to model and test drive scenarios using a tool that we created.

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 06woz @ 08/03/12 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by narwhale
Did anyone else notice in the screenshot of the progression sim that all of the top players shown for 2021 (except for 2) are guys that are already in the league? So basically no one who was drafted in the simulation for the next 9 years is going to be a star, and Crosby and Ovechkin are still 1 and 2 in their mid thirties. How likely does that sound?
Keep in mind that it's one simulation of that length, and their studies would have been composed of hundreds if not thousands of simulations.

"We are able to model and test drive scenarios using a tool that we created."

# 22 BlueNGold @ 08/03/12 09:40 AM

# 23 Qb @ 08/03/12 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
It'll be interesting to see if this applies to line making logic as well regarding player roles. Will guys that generally play better defense or two way forwards like a Patrice Bergeron be set on the PK rather than a tough guy like a Lucic would in prior years.
That was my question after reading about the new role system. You'd think the roles would be used for the even strength lines, as it's so clear cut. In the past they used certain attributes to pick the penalty killers, but for some reason checking and (I think) aggressiveness were big factors, hence the tough guys on the PK. I talked with them about this two years ago at the community event... change it to DAWR (mainly), speed, and maybe a combination of shot blocking, stick checking, and faceoffs. Hopefully it's improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberaluser
I wonder what the "senses" rating is about. I assume it is being good at seeing players across the ice and making accurate passes? Effectively separating the evaluation of deke skill with passing skill on the puck?
It looked like Senses was a group of ratings, as in overall hockey sense, not a new individual rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
Did they mention anything about draft booms and busts? I'd like to see some first round draft picks not live up to their potential and some late-round draft picks become NHL superstars.

Basically is potential guaranteed?
As 06woz said, they mentioned the color-coding of stars represented a player's likelihood of reaching his potential. So if you want to split hairs, perhaps a player's ultimate potential is set, but they are not guaranteed to reach it. Can't tell from the info provided if the potential itself will change; eg, a 3-star guy has several great years and becomes 4-star (or the opposite).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06woz
Keep in mind that it's one simulation of that length, and their studies would have been composed of hundreds if not thousands of simulations.

"We are able to model and test drive scenarios using a tool that we created."
Yeah, highly dubious to draw conclusions from a single screen grab. Way too many variables involved. With that being said, I sure hope they gave regression as much love as progression.

I want to see guys losing skating & physical abilities as they age, but increasing their "senses" from their years of experience. Just like young players generally need to improve their awareness, defensive skills, and strength to break into the NHL.

# 24 canucksss @ 08/03/12 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb

Yeah, highly dubious to draw conclusions from a single screen grab. Way too many variables involved. With that being said, I sure hope they gave regression as much love as progression.

I want to see guys losing skating & physical abilities as they age, but increasing their "senses" from their years of experience. Just like young players generally need to improve their awareness, defensive skills, and strength to break into the NHL.
Yes!!!! I want to see the progression of the younger (rising star) players and the regression of older star players.

like Gagnon said....boom or bust for some 1-2nd rounders and 5-7th rounders draft pick. there are some players who came mid or late round picks that are now playing in NHL level. Example in Canucks: Bieksa (5th round), Hansen (9th round) or White (1st rounder and bust)

# 25 onac22 @ 08/03/12 02:11 PM
All of this sounds amazing and so far filling in all those holes that we have all asked can't wait to try it out.

With that said I was wondering if a formula has been worked out for actual physical growth. Example being the 16 yr old CHL players still at 5'10" and 165lbs. Has anyone heard anything about players being able to add height and weight after being drafted and aging?

# 26 peter21 @ 08/03/12 04:30 PM
On paper it certainly sounds like a step in the right direction. I may actually stick with GM mode for longer than a week this time!

I'd just caution that, like many things, the first year they roll out something that fundamentally changes the game like this, there may be some bugs. Hopefully the potential is there to make this a more immersive game though.

# 27 crankybaker @ 08/03/12 04:57 PM
I won't be surprised if everything isn't fixed but I am just very happy they are working on it

# 28 goalieump413 @ 08/03/12 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onac22
All of this sounds amazing and so far filling in all those holes that we have all asked can't wait to try it out.

With that said I was wondering if a formula has been worked out for actual physical growth. Example being the 16 yr old CHL players still at 5'10" and 165lbs. Has anyone heard anything about players being able to add height and weight after being drafted and aging?
Really doubt it. Physical growth is something that occurs randomly, without any real expectations, so it'd be hard to build a formula for height/weight changes. It's a necessary step in the right direction though, since an 18 year old will certainly pack on a few extra pounds over the course of a career.

Maybe someone else knows of an EA Sports game where players physical attributes changed over time.

# 29 RoyalBoyle78 @ 08/03/12 08:35 PM
This is the game I'm most excited for then any game coming out... Please september come now..

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

# 30 bad_philanthropy @ 08/03/12 10:13 PM
Physical attributes did grow last year. In fact, there was a glitch where tall players would grow past the max height programmed into the game (6'9" I believe) and have their height roll over to like 5'5".

# 31 goalieump413 @ 08/03/12 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Physical attributes did grow last year. In fact, there was a glitch where tall players would grow past the max height programmed into the game (6'9" I believe) and have their height roll over to like 5'5".
Which mode?

# 32 bad_philanthropy @ 08/04/12 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieump413
Which mode?
Be a GM and probably BaP too.

# 33 voodoo_magic @ 08/04/12 01:21 AM
This sounds really good.
Reading the blog it sounds more like a pc hockey sim with some of the depth of detail the computer will get into which I think makes it exciting.
The potential is there for a great game.

# 34 The Visualizer @ 08/04/12 02:26 AM
lots of good information in the blog

impressed with how they approached the improvements seemingly building on the foundation on each improved "system"

I am really looking forward to Be-A-GM mode more than ever now

# 35 baseballboss5 @ 08/06/12 09:44 AM
The new potential system will be great I love it in 2k games!!

# 36 Gagnon39 @ 08/07/12 02:07 AM
"Every player in the league has a growth potential between half a star and 5 full stars. The higher the number, the higher a player’s potential overall rating. Green, yellow, and red are used to track the possibility of reaching their potential. White means they’ve stopped growing."

Maybe I'm reading too much into this but the use of the words "potential" and "possibility" are very promising to me in regards to boom and bust picks. Both of those words imply that the player might not reach his potential, which is good.

I'd really like to know more information however about what determines whether or not a player reaches their top potential.

Also, as someone else previously stated, I'm a bit concerned when I look at the 2021 simulation and don't see any non-current NHL players in that mix. You would think in nearly a decade that someone would emerge as one of the top 15-20 NHL stars in the league. Again, perhaps we're looking too much into that and it is just one screen shot from one simulation. But I'm going to guess there's not a lot of variation from one simulation to another.

In other words Alex Ovechkin is not going to be a 72 at age 35 in one person's virtual hockey world and a 96 in another at the same age.

Just a few thoughts, but any way we look at it, this is better than what we've had. I played NHL '95 the other day on the SNES, its quite amazing how far it has all come.

# 37 waspman3 @ 08/07/12 08:52 PM
How about building your own stadium complete with concession stands as part of being part of an owner group. Sounds promising from what I'm hearing but the skies the limit for this game that's won so many awards. I don't hear of any other title doing this well in terms of awards. Go Ea!! P.S. Please change announcers as well.

# 38 Unit303 @ 08/07/12 11:15 PM
I finally think this series is turning the corner right when MN might also be. AWESOME stuff and whatever happens it looks like this game is going to be a TON**** better than any other hockey game ever made.

Congrats to the dev team for taking our complaints seriously. We'll see how it plays but this stuff is looking fabulous.

# 39 ManiacMatt1782 @ 08/08/12 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by waspman3
How about building your own stadium complete with concession stands as part of being part of an owner group. Sounds promising from what I'm hearing but the skies the limit for this game that's won so many awards. I don't hear of any other title doing this well in terms of awards. Go Ea!! P.S. Please change announcers as well.
Please do not waste money time and resources on bringing in a new announce team. Have the current ones record some new lines, and have a sound programmer do a better job at keeping it fresh. Continue to use time and resources to improve Gameplay, and AI.

# 40 DJ @ 08/08/12 02:27 PM
This all sounds very promising.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.