Home
NBA Live 13 News Post

Just received this NBA Live 13 cover art featuring LeBron James, from an anonymous source.

Take it with a grain of salt for now, but it is something we can chew on, while we wait for EA Sports and the NBA Live 13 team to make any announcements, on well... anything.

Game: NBA Live 13Hype Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 56 - View All
NBA Live 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 NoTiCe_O @ 08/08/12 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
.....the nba elite demo...that is reason enough to have no faith in EA. And if that didn't do it then the negative opinions of Live 13 from people who played early versions of the game have also diminished expectations.

Live 13 can be a good game but at this point there has been no indication of that and a rumor of Lebron being on the cover will not make the game any better. A cover athlete has never determined how good a game is going to be. Going by what you are saying about Lebron' business mind and looking into what he puts his name on he would learn this: Live has not released in 2 years, the last time it was going to release it was cancelled, and the previous 5 or so Live titles that have come out have done bad both critical and in terms of sales (being below that competition in both). Even if he played a version of Live 13 he couldn't have played anything much better than what was shown at E3, which makes the game sound less than impressive to say the least. Besides money and maybe promises EA made about what the game could be Lebron has nothing to make him believe that this game will be good.
But the Elite demo was made in an entirely different country, by an entirely different team, and it was free. It's not like it cost you any money or made you lose sleep. And the opinion of people who saw a pre alpha version of Live 13 is just that, their opinion.

Until I see the game with my own eyes i'm gonna keep my own opinion for now. I haven't seen one game play video so I'm not just gonna think the worst because of past history.

Like it or not, LeBron isn't just "any" cover athlete. Like his teammate Shane Battier said best, "He is a global icon, a basketball monolith, the most prevalent and recognizable athlete of our generation.". Do you really think an athlete of that caliber would put his image on something that was set up for complete failure like Elite was?

You could say I'm thinking to much into it, but I look at the big picture and see things for what they are. Media and Marketing are crucial sources of information in our world today. Who you have and what you have representing your product says alot about you and the quality of your product.

Having LeBron James on the cover of this game says alot more to the business minded people than it does to the everyday gamers that don't realize life exists outside of Xbox live or PSN.

But hey, I'm just speculating in a speculation thread, LeBron might not even be the cover athlete

# 162 videlsports @ 08/08/12 02:55 PM
I just hope it comes out for the live fans, I want comp and that's for 2k too, they do great, but sometimes they don't listen to fans sometimes(2k). I like the NBA elite Demo and the controls, that's the way to compete with 2k, I love the shot stick, elite had an answer for this but it did not go well with the youtube Bynum. I hope Live returns, it might come out in Dec because they feel that after all the problems with 2k ,Online, my player etc, if a fresh game launches in dec they can win 2k fans as well

# 163 scottyp180 @ 08/08/12 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTiCe_O
But the Elite demo was made in an entirely different country, by an entirely different team, and it was free. It's not like it cost you any money or made you lose sleep. And the opinion of people who saw a pre alpha version of Live 13 is just that, their opinion.

Until I see the game with my own eyes i'm gonna keep my own opinion for now. I haven't seen one game play video so I'm not just gonna think the worst because of past history.

Like it or not, LeBron isn't just "any" cover athlete. Like his teammate Shane Battier said best, "He is a global icon, a basketball monolith, the most prevalent and recognizable athlete of our generation.". Do you really think an athlete of that caliber would put his image on something that was set up for complete failure like Elite was?

You could say I'm thinking to much into it, but I look at the big picture and see things for what they are. Media and Marketing are crucial sources of information in our world today. Who you have and what you have representing your product says alot about you and the quality of your product.

Having LeBron James on the cover of this game says alot more to the business minded people than it does to the everyday gamers that don't realize life exists outside of Xbox live or PSN.

But hey, I'm just speculating in a speculation thread, LeBron might not even be the cover athlete
Its not setup to fail, no game is. Elite was not setup for fail but it did. I'm not saying Live 13 will fail, I hope it comes out and is a solid game actually; however regardless of who is on the cover they have no control over how good the game will be.

Business wise Lebron is the best possible choice for cover athlete but without the gameplay to back it up it means nothing. I'm starting to wonder if EA knew people would start talking and speculating about Live, and then sent an "annonymous" cover of Lebron to get things stirring only to have a blowout reveal next week when Lebron is back from the Olympics...

# 164 SavoyPrime @ 08/08/12 10:38 PM
Game will probably be ***. But the cover is hot though.

# 165 authentic @ 08/08/12 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaintuna
Some of the comments in this thread are pure comedy, especially those saying that an athlete on a game cover does not translate into sales.

NEWSFLASH.....games aren't sold or not sold based on the biased views on message boards, bloggers' journals and paid-review sites. OS probably generates LESS than 1% of all sports games titles sales GLOBALLY....meaning what is liked or disliked here is IRRELEVANT to actual business numbers.

If anyone doesn't think that having a premier athlete like LeBron on a video game cover will NOT translate into a HUGE spike in sales (compared to the previous version), then I have some Enron stock to sell you!

General Business 101.
You're right but you need to chill....Lebron being on the cover does not guarantee success for EA. If they release a bad product, it wont sell well.

# 166 23 @ 08/09/12 12:38 AM
Quote:
Some of the comments in this thread are pure comedy, especially those saying that an athlete on a game cover does not translate into sales.

NEWSFLASH.....games aren't sold or not sold based on the biased views on message boards, bloggers' journals and paid-review sites. OS probably generates LESS than 1% of all sports games titles sales GLOBALLY....meaning what is liked or disliked here is IRRELEVANT to actual business numbers.

If anyone doesn't think that having a premier athlete like LeBron on a video game cover will NOT translate into a HUGE spike in sales (compared to the previous version), then I have some Enron stock to sell you!

Look at to what having Jordan (then Magic, Jordan and Bird) on the cover of NBA 2K did for their sales. Think 2K would have sold anywhere near what it did in those years had Patrick Ewing or Clyde Drexler been on the cover?

Please.

Seriously, just stop embarrasing yourself with unsubstantiated comments as such

# 167 noshun @ 08/09/12 12:45 AM
Quote:
... I have some Enron stock to sell you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23

If he has Enron stock, then hes not smart business wise either....lol.. cause he's still trying to sell it. sarcasm.

# 168 23 @ 08/09/12 01:04 AM
Quote:
Way to ignore the FACTS of my post and only focus on a cover of a completely different and obsolete NBA game franchise no less. Seriously you're trying to compare Sony's NBA series with EA's NBA Live?

And I'm embarrassing myself? Thanks for the laugh. I needed that.
Looks to me like both NBA 09 and e-Lite are obsolete games and this one will be too if they don't do something quick

The FACT is I just debunked that post about LeBron being on the cover there is no guaranteed

selling spike and you have ZERO proof to back up what you just stated

Its already been proved wrong once that if a game is crappy it doesnt matter if LeBron is there or not.

# 169 King_B_Mack @ 08/09/12 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23

At this point 23 it's pretty clear that my man is a EA Sports troll and is providing nothing productive to the forums. Dude is just embarrasing himself and OS at this point. I mean this latest quote shows just what lengths he'll go to defend Live/EA. Not even a week ago he felt like this....

Quote:
Exactly. LOL @ anyone who thinks that Elite got cancelled because it didn't have Jordan in their game. Who really cares about someone who last played nearly a decade ago? If 2K spends half the time on improving player animations and player control instead of "shoving" Michael Jordan down our throats every year now.....then maybe EA's Live would have received the final nail in the coffin.
Fast forward to today and he's citing Jordan and the other someone's who last played over a decade ago for why LeBron is going to spike sales, even though he was poo pooing those dudes impact on game sales, especially Jordan.

# 170 swac07 @ 08/09/12 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Looks to me like both NBA 09 and e-Lite are obsolete games and this one will be too if they don't do something quick

The FACT is I just debunked that post about LeBron being on the cover there is no guaranteed

selling spike and you have ZERO proof to back up what you just stated

Its already been proved wrong once that if a game is crappy it doesnt matter if LeBron is there or not.

# 171 Amedu @ 08/09/12 02:54 AM
What does OS mean by "anonymous sources"?!!

# 172 noshun @ 08/09/12 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amedu
What does OS mean by "anonymous sources"?!!
It means captaintuna made a 'spam' email account to mail the photoshopped cover he made, so he could use it to support his arguments on OS. He is running dry on evidence to support his viewpoints on the threads, so he's in full scramble mode.

Edit: Disclaimer for speculation.

# 173 RayDog253 @ 08/09/12 06:42 AM
This cover design kind of has a DIGITAL vibe to it. I think it could be legit. Another thing I noticed was the Rating pending box it has. I think every custom/photoshopped cover I've seen so far have the retail rating on them.

Idk though.... I like the design, even though you wouldn't expect them to alter/distort their cover athlete like this. Unless of course it is for digital only then it kind of makes sense......

And If this turns out to not be the official cover, I still think the cover athlete will be a younger player like say Irving or Rubio. If anything at all......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

# 174 jwtucker710 @ 08/09/12 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDog253
This cover design kind of has a DIGITAL vibe to it. I think it could be legit. Another thing I noticed was the Rating pending box it has. I think every custom/photoshopped cover I've seen so far have the retail rating on them.

Idk though.... I like the design, even though you wouldn't expect them to alter/distort their cover athlete like this. Unless of course it is for digital only then it kind of makes sense......

And If this turns out to not be the official cover, I still think the cover athlete will be a younger player like say Irving or Rubio. If anything at all......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Good points, RayDog. EA did have Irving and Rubio in the studio this past spring to take a look at LIVE 13.

# 175 DorianDonP @ 08/09/12 11:19 AM
The cover looks ugly to me.

I'm not really a fan of the 2k cover either, but with all of the negativity Live has to fight off, a standout cover is one of the things they'd need IMO.

Put me in the camp that says it's fake.

# 176 nyj721 @ 08/09/12 11:27 AM
Quote:
Way to ignore the FACTS of my post and only focus on a cover of a completely different and obsolete NBA game franchise no less. Seriously you're trying to compare Sony's NBA series with EA's NBA Live?

And I'm embarrassing myself? Thanks for the laugh. I needed that.
Quote:

So you said LeBron being on a cover would spike sales, 23 posted a game where the sales sucked and had LeBron on the cover, and according to you 23 is ignoring facts? Word?

# 177 scottyp180 @ 08/09/12 12:35 PM
Quote:

Look at to what having Jordan (then Magic, Jordan and Bird) on the cover of NBA 2K did for their sales. Think 2K would have sold anywhere near what it did in those years had Patrick Ewing or Clyde Drexler been on the cover?

Please.
I'm not going to say that Jordan, Magic, and Bird being on the cover didn't help improve sales but the fact that it was the only basketball game on the market 2 years in a row also had a huge impact to do with it. Plus the games didn't just feature these athletes on the cover they added new features to the game such as the Jordan Challenge, NBA Greatest mode, and the ability to play with some of the greatest teams and players of all time (plaers and teams that have never or have rarely been playable in basketball videogames before). 2k11 also made a significant improvement to gameplay and presentation in comparison to 2k10.

For casual fans seeing Lebron on the cover might be enough for them to buy the game but for most gamers they are going to want more. Lebron doesn't add what the legends add, we have been playing with Lebron since he was a rookie; however 2k11 allowed us to take control of Jordan like never before. The combination of good gameplay and being able to play with Jordan (and other legends) made 2k11 and 2k12 worth buying. Seeing Lebron on the cover of Live (if this turns out to be true) is enough to make people interested but in the end it comes down to gameplay and game modes to make the game worth buying. I want Live to be a good game but its crazy to speculate and assume that Live 13 will be good or will even come out based on a rumored cover. Until EA makes any sort of reassuring statement about the game, which they have been unable to do since speculation started about the state of Live, there is NOTHING to indicate that Live is heading in a good direction. This isn't me being pessimistic or being against EA, I'm just looking at the situation realistically.

# 178 Goffs @ 08/09/12 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyj721

So you said LeBron being on a cover would spike sales, 23 posted a game where the sales sucked and had LeBron on the cover, and according to you 23 is ignoring facts? Word?
Man that guy is so out of it he doesn't even realize what he writes.....

# 179 23 @ 08/09/12 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
At this point 23 it's pretty clear that my man is a EA Sports troll and is providing nothing productive to the forums. Dude is just embarrasing himself and OS at this point. I mean this latest quote shows just what lengths he'll go to defend Live/EA. Not even a week ago he felt like this....

Thanks KingB... this one is for the ages

Quote:

Quote:
Exactly. LOL @ anyone who thinks that Elite got cancelled because it didn't have Jordan in their game. Who really cares about someone who last played nearly a decade ago?

"The American press is all about lies! All they tell is lies, lies and more lies!"

"My feelings - as usual - we will slaughter them all"

# 180 jfsolo @ 08/09/12 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack

I will once again say, I wish I could've played whatever copy of Live it was that hooked some of you dudes so hardcore that you'll say anything to defend and believe in EA. I don't care how much money LeBron already has in endorsements he'll sell you a box of **** covered crackers if he's getting paid out the *** for it. That's like saying State Farm is the best insurance to have cause LeBron put his name on it. Or Hanes is the best underwear cause Jordan is a good business man. I'll let Dave Chappelle explain it better than any of us.

NSFW - Language
I was thinking about this Chappelle bit, and this one from Eddie Murphy about Best Defense

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.