Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

In an interview with Complex Gaming, 2K’s VP of Marketing, Jason Argent talks about Jay-Z's involvement with NBA 2K13.

As most of you are aware, Jay-Z selected the 24 song soundtrack and also has his fingerprints on the intro video, menu screens, transitions, and more.

What you won't see, is Jay-Z front and center on NBA 2K13 commercials or ad campaigns. Don't expect Jay-Z to be a playable character or see his virtual self sitting in the front row at the Brooklyn Nets game with Beyonce.

Quote:
Will Jay-Z be a playable character on the Brooklyn Nets?

I'll put it this way. The key focus with us was to not make this gimmicky, it had to be real and authentic. Jay-Z's involvement had to be the same way. Seeing him as a playable character and all that wasn't necessarily something we were trying to achieve in this game. It was the bigger, general artistic vision of what he wanted to bring and what we wanted to bring to NBA 2K13.

Source - Interview: Jason Argent Of 2K Games Promises No Jay-Z Overload In NBA 2K13 (Complex Gaming)

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Sellaz32 @ 08/09/12 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04

Agreed. Would be sick to seem him sitting courtside.
Dude...i just woke my 1 year old daughter up laughing at this...

# 22 Hassan Darkside @ 08/09/12 01:28 AM
I foresee him being used a lot in MyPlayer mode. Not sure exactly where else they could put him that'd make a difference.

# 23 kennyacid @ 08/09/12 01:54 AM
More of an experience? So does that mean we will finally get a true playoff atmosphere? and allstar weekend will look like allstar weekend? Improved halftime show? All that adds to the experience...

# 24 illwill10 @ 08/09/12 02:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff Ryder
I foresee him being used a lot in MyPlayer mode. Not sure exactly where else they could put him that'd make a difference.
I dont know. He doesnt seem like the type who would like something like MP

I wouldnt know how I would feel about that though. I wouldnt want him changing things up in MP. But, I can see him having an influence in possibly having the menus and intros(no more brown suits) be more geared to your MP.

If he does have any impact on MP, I dont see it being nothing more than cosmetic. Improving Gameplay and Progression could really have an big effect on MP. But if he were to give them ideas about having money actually mean something, then that would be great because getting a high contract was pointless. Like if they add a My Crib or ability to buy your pre-game outfits or pay for shoes, than that would be great.

MP really just only needs to fix issues(teammate ai, draft) and add more depth off the court.

Outside of cosmetic stuff(menus, presentation, shoes, overall look and feel), he could give them insight on point of view from a front office's perspective. I am sure he has spent enough time in the front office to give them tips for Associations. Maybe adding Amnesty Cuts and Sign & Trades.

# 25 VDusen04 @ 08/09/12 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
Like if they add a My Crib or ability to buy your pre-game outfits or pay for shoes, than that would be great.
I still think the NFL 2K5 Crib would be an excellent addition to My Player Mode (or just to 2K itself, not necessarily just in a single mode). The beautiful thing about NFL 2K5's crib was the absolute abundance of unlockables. It was by no means necessary to use the Crib, but if you wanted to, it provided: things that served no purpose other than to look good (different styles of chairs, from cheap to high roller), nostalgic pieces (framed jerseys), games (Air Hockey, Darts), a trophy room (for achievements and tons of milestones), and videos (unlockable Sportscenter commercials to watch on your TV (or theater, depending upon how rich you were). It was a great distraction from NFL 2K5 without actually being separate from 2K5.

NBA 2K attempted to include a Crib for a couple of years, but it was merely 10 feet of moveable space with pennants and bobbleheads that could be unlocked. It was a shell of what was offered in NFL 2K5. If modern 2K's were able to expand upon what the NFL 2K5 Crib offered, I think that'd add an entirely new (and awesome) dimension to My Player. I'm picturing an auto showroom (for when that Kia sponsorship finally comes through), an indoor basketball court, all the unlockables of 2K5, a playable billiards table (emblazoned with your team's logo if you so choose), a shoe room where you keep the kicks you unlock, buy or endorese, so on and so forth.

On top of everything else, as mentioned prior, the amount of milestones and achievements available (for which gamers were able to gain points for their Crib) was through the roof. It always left a feeling of being able to play for something in each game. Even just playing NFL 2K5, period, would earn you 10 Crib points per hour (of which you'd be notified with that soothing ESPN ticker update sound). Good times.

# 26 illwill10 @ 08/09/12 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I still think the NFL 2K5 Crib would be an excellent addition to My Player Mode (or just to 2K itself, not necessarily just in a single mode). The beautiful thing about NFL 2K5's crib was the absolute abundance of unlockables. It was by no means necessary to use the Crib, but if you wanted to, it provided: things that served no purpose other than to look good (different styles of chairs, from cheap to high roller), nostalgic pieces (framed jerseys), games (Air Hockey, Darts), a trophy room (for achievements and tons of milestones), and videos (unlockable Sportscenter commercials to watch on your TV (or theater, depending upon how rich you were). It was a great distraction from NFL 2K5 without actually being separate from 2K5.

NBA 2K attempted to include a Crib for a couple of years, but it was merely 10 feet of moveable space with pennants and bobbleheads that could be unlocked. It was a shell of what was offered in NFL 2K5. If modern 2K's were able to expand upon what the NFL 2K5 Crib offered, I think that'd add an entirely new (and awesome) dimension to My Player. I'm picturing an auto showroom (for when that Kia sponsorship finally comes through), an indoor basketball court, all the unlockables of 2K5, a playable billiards table (emblazoned with your team's logo if you so choose), a shoe room where you keep the kicks you unlock, buy or endorse, so on and so forth.
Thats is what I mean(just forgot the name). It would go a LONG way to adding necessary depth in the mode/game. Where when you start, your crib can be small and dont have much in the crib. You could use your money from paycheck to upgrade it/stuff inside. There could also be a phone in the crib where you get messages from other coaches/players. Because right now, money is pointless. Should be able spend it on something other than XP/in game stuff.

I like that Jay Z will have some influence in the game. As long as it doesnt go overboard.

# 27 Da_Czar @ 08/09/12 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJC1213
Fixing the broken passing, often terrible fastbreak logic and other glaring gameplay issues is far more important than incorporating a past his prime rapper that loves to rhyme about how much money he has. I know some of the younger guys around here love this news and are hype for Jay-Z "executive producing" (whatever the hell that means) 2k13 but I could care less. Fill us in on how you have improved your basketball game please. This information is nonsense.
Men the gameplay team ONLY works on gameplay what ever is not fixed or is fixed has no bearing on presentation or Legends or any other part of the game. If it wasn't Jay Z it would be something else but again it has no bearing on what is or is not fixed from a gameplay perspective.

# 28 GJC1213 @ 08/09/12 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Men the gameplay team ONLY works on gameplay what ever is not fixed or is fixed has no bearing on presentation or Legends or any other part of the game. If it wasn't Jay Z it would be something else but again it has no bearing on what is or is not fixed from a gameplay perspective.
My earlier post may have been misinterpreted. I understand different teams work on different aspects of the game. I was just commenting on the information they have chosen to reveal up to this point. I'm much more interested in hearing about the gameplay improvements and additions. I'll take your 10 teams in 10 days and play breakdowns over presentation info all day every day.

# 29 Ritch548 @ 08/09/12 05:37 PM
i dont really care what music is in the game ,it could be justin bieber, nicki minaj or country music for all i care as long as the on court action is not as frustrating as 2k12 im cool

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.