Home
NHL 13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

EA Sports has posted another NHL 13 blog. This one covers the overhaul that has taken place in the presentation department.

The blog talks about many presentation aspects, including graphics, lighting, skate spray, power rings, replays, the new front end and more.

Quote:
Shadows have been completely redone this year as we’ve modeled the stadium lights after their real-world counterparts. What that means is that players can now cast shadows on other players on the ice, something that we’ve never had in the series before.

True Performance Skating changed the way we animated our skaters. With those changes in animation we also reworked skate spray this year adding procedural skate spray. This means that skate spray in based on velocity, angle, and relative direction of skate movement to the player.

Skate spray also now sticks to players, goalies, boards and the glass.

The arena power rings have also been overhauled adding:
  • Full animation
  • Context – PowerRings now react to situations such as Home Goals, Home/Away Powerplays, Home Wins and more.
  • Lighting – the light cast from Power Rings now affects the lighting of elements around them. They also more closely simulate real-world LED screens.
NHL 13 also includes a new gameplay camera the True Broadcast Camera which replicates a real world broadcast camera. Unlike the Broadcast camera, the True Broadcast camera is anchored in place and moves, swivels and zooms like to better simulate hockey coverage on television. Users can also now select multiple gameplay cameras as their shootout and penalty shot camera.

Source - Presentation Overhaul – NHL 13

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 MizzouRah @ 08/09/12 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballforever
Honestly, this EA Canada Team doesn't seem like they even work with EA...My hopes every year based on this game never disappoint, every year I feel hyped for NHL and I get the game, I'm equal satisfied or it exceeds my expectations...So The Hyped machine around NHL to me is Null in void, this game and series the last few years just rocks.
I disagree.. the game has become very stale for me. The amount of work they seem to have put in this year beats the last few years by a mile.

# 42 Splitter77 @ 08/09/12 11:52 AM
im telling you. this game is going to rock.
having dean richards back in charge will make a huge difference.

# 43 canucksss @ 08/09/12 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I disagree.. the game has become very stale for me. The amount of work they seem to have put in this year beats the last few years by a mile.
lets accept it..EA admit that they spent more time now in the AI this year as compared in the past. as mizzou mentioned...this game went downhill for me after 2009, specially in 2012..a complete waste of my hard-earned money. hopefully....HOPEFULLy...they will come through and meet expectations this year. OR AT LEAST prove that they were dead serious will all these improvements and new AI they are heavily promoting.

BRING ON THE DEMO

# 44 The Amaizen Blue @ 08/09/12 12:09 PM
I got a couple chills watching the NYI/Nashville bit.

# 45 Retropyro @ 08/09/12 12:10 PM
I think this is the opposite of what MMChris had in his article yesterday about Madden and how the dev team seems to have no longer-term plan and each dumps features and seems to start over.

The last couple years have seen the NHL series only make minor tweaks and changes, but they have been on a path towards something and this year is looking like it's going to be the payoff.

# 46 RM938 @ 08/09/12 12:13 PM
Question for those who are educated on the topic:

Does anyone know if they can combine licenses with other EA Sports games?

Example: If Lincoln Financial Field (Eagles stadium) was used for a Winter Classic game, could they get the rights from Madden and use the name in NHL series?

# 47 savoie2006 @ 08/09/12 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retropyro
I think this is the opposite of what MMChris had in his article yesterday about Madden and how the dev team seems to have no longer-term plan and each dumps features and seems to start over.

The last couple years have seen the NHL series only make minor tweaks and changes, but they have been on a path towards something and this year is looking like it's going to be the payoff.
Yeah, but what the Madden dev team does and what the NHL team does are completely different. Just because both are EA Sports doesn't mean all have the same agenda.

As far as making major improvements every year in a sports title, that's just unrealistic thinking. Improvements we're seeing in NHL 13 take time to properly implement

# 48 ucas005 @ 08/09/12 12:44 PM
Maybe I missed it, but what does "Customize AI NEW" mean on the menu screen. 1:16

# 49 scottyp180 @ 08/09/12 12:52 PM
Quote:
Yeah, the game to me looks so much crisper. Some of those shots on goal look like a real live broadcast to me.
yeah both the replays and the broadcast camera made the game looks very realistic; the great animations also had a lot to do with it. Love how the players race down the ice this year, makes the look faster and look as if they are actually putting effort into getting down the ice.

# 50 Retropyro @ 08/09/12 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
Yeah, but what the Madden dev team does and what the NHL team does are completely different. Just because both are EA Sports doesn't mean all have the same agenda.

As far as making major improvements every year in a sports title, that's just unrealistic thinking. Improvements we're seeing in NHL 13 take time to properly implement
That was kind of my point. EA Canada has an agenda and Tiburon so far has not.

My point about the small changes to the NHL series each year leading up to some pretty major changes this was more about people who have criticized the NHL series since NHL 10 as being stale.

People seem to be knocking them for saying they have put more time into the AI this year than the previous 3. Not thinking that this has been planned out.

# 51 Panicshade @ 08/09/12 12:56 PM
I havent't bought an EA NHL game in years so I went ahead and pre-ordered this at Amazon.

I look forward to you all beating me online...lol

# 52 I3RIS3H @ 08/09/12 12:59 PM
Last year was the biggest disappointment I've ever had with an EA hockey game. This year looks like it has 12 beaten by miles.

# 53 BobSacamano @ 08/09/12 01:19 PM
Tiny little thing that makes me super happy (from the EA blog):

"Users can also now select multiple gameplay cameras as their shootout and penalty shot camera."

THAAAAAAAAAANK YOU. I hated the shootout camera. The lack of depth perception was maddening.

# 54 Qb @ 08/09/12 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter21

I have a question that any of you who know more about production schedules on these games might be able to answer. I'm guessing that these improvements weren't just worked on this last calendar year and that at least some have been in the works for a while, but due to deadlines, the development team had to push them off to refine and get them right. Am I correct in this?

I mean, I like NHL '12, but the improvements were incremental compared to what looks like is coming out next month. Were they working on these additions last year too and it just took 2-3 years in the cycle to get it ready for the public?
I was told at the NHL11 community event that they were just starting to work on presentation improvements, including moving towards real-time presentation replacing canned cutscenes. So in that case, yes, it's been in the works for a while.

I can't say for certain about some of the other big items, but it stands to reason things like GM Connected, Hockey IQ, and the skating overhaul were (at least to some degree) developed over more than just the past nine or so months. My theory, and it is very much conjecture, is that they wanted to introduce True Performance Skating for NHL12, but weren't satisfied with it and ultimately decided to hold off on it. They used the same "it will change the way you play the game" line briefly to hype an upcoming announcement, revealing only the legends after that.

# 55 Qb @ 08/09/12 01:41 PM
Hard to pinpoint which part is the most exciting, as everything from the new menus to RTP between plays will really give the game a new look/feel. I think the lighting upgrades could be huge, as the game has looked somewhat cartoonish, most likely due to the lack of certain shadows as they said. I know MLB The Show's lighting upgrades made a considerable difference in overall graphical appearance, so let's hope this has a big impact as well.

The new replay/highlight analysis, camera angles, and additional commentary are welcome additions as well. Can't wait to make my OTP teammates sit through my "net front presence" highlight package.

And one more thing... TRUE BROADCAST CAMERA.

# 56 JG1986 @ 08/09/12 01:42 PM
This looks fabulous!!!

# 57 Dazraz @ 08/09/12 02:14 PM
The last few years of the NHL series have seen minor changes. This it really looks like we have something to be excited about.

# 58 MizzouRah @ 08/09/12 02:26 PM
I haven't played Madden since it first came out on the x360 a few years ago.. it's been horrible, imho.

Hockey has always received the bulk of my console sports gaming time and I just didn't play 12 that much, at least not like previous versions.

That being said, I'm really excited to get this version and I can see myself playing several seasons - every freaking single game too.

# 59 LuGer33 @ 08/09/12 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter21
I have a question that any of you who know more about production schedules on these games might be able to answer. I'm guessing that these improvements weren't just worked on this last calendar year and that at least some have been in the works for a while, but due to deadlines, the development team had to push them off to refine and get them right. Am I correct in this?

I mean, I like NHL '12, but the improvements were incremental compared to what looks like is coming out next month. Were they working on these additions last year too and it just took 2-3 years in the cycle to get it ready for the public?
As per one of the devs, there was a feature for NHL 12 that did not make the cut. QB speculates, and I agree with him, that this was probably True Performance Skating. I'm also only speculating but it seems logical to me that TPS was planned for NHL 12 and after working on it, the devs decided they needed another year to get it right. This would help explain why NHL 12 was headlined w/ "Broken Glass" and "Goalie Collisions / Fights," whereas NHL 13 is rocking, "GM Connected," "True Performance Skating," "Real Time / Overhauled Presentation," "Revamped Goalies," "GM Brain," "NHL Moments Live," etc.

It just seems like NHL 13 has a disproportionate amount of new content compared to the other games (which is awesome), and something that should have us all really excited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM938
Question for those who are educated on the topic:

Does anyone know if they can combine licenses with other EA Sports games?

Example: If Lincoln Financial Field (Eagles stadium) was used for a Winter Classic game, could they get the rights from Madden and use the name in NHL series?
I just e-mailed Noun to try and get the scoop on how the Winter Classic license really works. I do think having an agreement w/ the NHL to include the WC also grants EA the right to use the name and likeness of the venue in-game, but I will report back once I know for sure.

Quote:
I haven't played Madden since it first came out on the x360 a few years ago.. it's been horrible, imho.

Hockey has always received the bulk of my console sports gaming time and I just didn't play 12 that much, at least not like previous versions.

That being said, I'm really excited to get this version and I can see myself playing several seasons - every freaking single game too.
I think Madden looks pretty good this year too. W/ the new real time physics ("Infinity Engine") and Connected Careers mode, it is shaping up to be a pretty damn fine game in its own right. Across the board, it looks like it should be a good year for EA.

# 60 seasprite @ 08/09/12 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesey
has me wishing for September 11th.
So unAmerican Jonesy

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.