Home
NHL 13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

EA Sports has posted another NHL 13 blog. This one covers the overhaul that has taken place in the presentation department.

The blog talks about many presentation aspects, including graphics, lighting, skate spray, power rings, replays, the new front end and more.

Quote:
Shadows have been completely redone this year as we’ve modeled the stadium lights after their real-world counterparts. What that means is that players can now cast shadows on other players on the ice, something that we’ve never had in the series before.

True Performance Skating changed the way we animated our skaters. With those changes in animation we also reworked skate spray this year adding procedural skate spray. This means that skate spray in based on velocity, angle, and relative direction of skate movement to the player.

Skate spray also now sticks to players, goalies, boards and the glass.

The arena power rings have also been overhauled adding:
  • Full animation
  • Context – PowerRings now react to situations such as Home Goals, Home/Away Powerplays, Home Wins and more.
  • Lighting – the light cast from Power Rings now affects the lighting of elements around them. They also more closely simulate real-world LED screens.
NHL 13 also includes a new gameplay camera the True Broadcast Camera which replicates a real world broadcast camera. Unlike the Broadcast camera, the True Broadcast camera is anchored in place and moves, swivels and zooms like to better simulate hockey coverage on television. Users can also now select multiple gameplay cameras as their shootout and penalty shot camera.

Source - Presentation Overhaul – NHL 13

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 geisterhome @ 08/10/12 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
yeah same here. it would seem weird.
i love the view, but if i played in that view id have to go back to the button controls and no skill stick.
would love to play with broadcast camera, but you guys think the shot stick controls wont work that way?
i havent played any nhl game in the shot stick era so i dont really know how it all works.. for nba2k tho you also have iso moves controlled with the right stick and they work for the most part in broadcast cam from my experience. not perfect of course but still its playable. that wont go for nhl?

# 82 davep @ 08/10/12 05:38 PM
Sooooo....stat overlays?

And all of this is nice and dandy, but had they not told me about it I probably wouldn't have even noticed it, especially in normal gameplay. It's like when they tout all the self-shadowing and motion blur in the football games, don't even notice it unless they show me a side by side.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.