Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 TheKasmar @ 08/10/12 11:13 AM
I can see it now. I'm on my first open fastbreak in 2k13 and I go up to dunk the ball pressing RT+RS and all I do is dribble out of bounds.

Its interesting that a simple shot will now include the LT + RS, but what's really intriguing is how will dunks be handled? By default, if dunks are LT + RS + RT, then it makes it slightly tougher by default which is something I like.

In the video I saw footplanting that wasnt present in 2k12. More times than often defenders would slide in and out of position in 2k12. If we can get a defender off balance, with 2k slowing down the defensive recovery for lesser defenders, and mitigating sliding, then this will add a new layer of depth that was missing in 2k12.

# 62 spankdatazz22 @ 08/10/12 11:16 AM
Damn!!! @those animations - really fluid, interaction looked great. Given the complexity of the interaction you'd think there would be *some* sliding - I'm sure the video was carefully picked but even with that it was still about as good as it could get imo. Lots of positive takeaways even from the brief clips and what was said.

I haven't read the article yet but it'll be interesting to see how the shot stick has changed. I've always loved it, and felt not enough people took advantage of the changes made to it last year in terms of being able to adjust/manipulate your shot. But as w/every year I trust in the dev team's decision making. Great first look.

# 63 sead94 @ 08/10/12 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabri3l3
I'm curious on how they're going to replace the shot stick!
Seems to work in two modes, dribbling: right stick, shooting: modifier + right stick.

# 64 Eman5805 @ 08/10/12 11:24 AM
I see improvement, but I also see vestiges of that awkward, flat footed defense. Like when what's his name shakes off DJ Augustin and Granger is moving in all sideways to cover for him. IRL he'd be upright and more running over to him, cuz Granger is not going to be trying to cover a PG with foot speed and lateral quickness alone.

...cuz he don't have any.

# 65 wayne23 @ 08/10/12 11:31 AM
October 2.

# 66 NoTiCe_O @ 08/10/12 11:33 AM
So NBA Live's control with 2k's gameplay and animations, sounds like a win.

I just feel bad for Live now, I don't think there is any way to counter this.

# 67 dwade21 @ 08/10/12 11:52 AM
dont want to jump to any conclusions , but it looks like wigspan has been added anyone notice players like rondo , jrue holiday have longer arms than others ?

# 68 juicey79 @ 08/10/12 11:53 AM
I'm loving the change of direction, and the weight momentum. Nice touch 2K!
Not sure of the added icons that differentiate player type, just perform to the players likeness is all I want.
Funny basketball doesnt change much year to year but these game developers have a toug task trying to please everyone's demands.

# 69 daveberg @ 08/10/12 11:58 AM
Erm....so what happens to L2 + shot stick for Euro and hop steps?

# 70 blues rocker @ 08/10/12 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKasmar
I can see it now. I'm on my first open fastbreak in 2k13 and I go up to dunk the ball pressing RT+RS and all I do is dribble out of bounds.

Its interesting that a simple shot will now include the LT + RS, but what's really intriguing is how will dunks be handled? By default, if dunks are LT + RS + RT, then it makes it slightly tougher by default which is something I like.

In the video I saw footplanting that wasnt present in 2k12. More times than often defenders would slide in and out of position in 2k12. If we can get a defender off balance, with 2k slowing down the defensive recovery for lesser defenders, and mitigating sliding, then this will add a new layer of depth that was missing in 2k12.
i'm not quite sold on LT + RS for shooting...having to press LT + RS + RT just to execute a simple dunk sounds like a ridiculous prospect. it seems like cramming all of these functions into the right stick might make shots and dunks less responsive and overly complicated.

think about a situation like this - if you are on a fast break and you pass ahead to your teammate, do you really want to have to remember to hold down the left trigger before making him dunk or lay it in...i can see this control scheme resulting in a lack of responsiveness on shots when you need a very quick dunk or layup. due to this, i foresee a lot of people just giving up on the shot stick in favor of the shot button out of frustration. BUT...here's another question - do they still even have a shot button? i haven't seen that mentioned yet.

they've conveniently left out mentioning the turbo trigger...i'm curious and kind of worried as to how they've handled it. it could go a lot of ways, and some of those ways aren't good. i've heard Rob mention the possibility of one day eliminating the turbo trigger, but being able the manually control your speed is pretty crucial in basketball. hopefully they've kept it and just make it more responsive than last year.

# 71 theprocess @ 08/10/12 12:02 PM
Jay-Zee who? This is the biggest announcement coming out of 2k, updating the dribbling, passing and then defense (Defense: I'll believe it when I see it).

Iso-motion which was more like "Limited motion" AMIRITE?

The first time in 3 years I've been excited about a 2k game, In the past they've said that they removed canned animations (In developer insights),Let's see if they show up with the truth. I can't wait to try out the demo.

# 72 vannwolfhawk @ 08/10/12 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
i'm really not sold on LT + RS for shooting...2k claims their goal is to simplify controls, but requiring LT + RS just to shoot is the opposite of simplicity. shooting the ball should be the simplest thing in a basketball game and they've gone and made it more complicated...LT + RS + RT just to do a simple dunk sounds ridiculous. if 2k is committed to this right stick dribbling thing, then they should probably abandon the shot stick and go to shot button exclusively. it seems like cramming all of these functions into the right stick will just make shots and dunks less responsive and overly complicated. think about a situation like this - if you are on a fast break and you pass ahead to your teammate, do you really want to have to remember to hold down the left trigger before making him dunk or lay it in...i can see this resulting in a lack of responsiveness in situations when you want a very quick dunk or layup.

they've conveniently left out mentioning the turbo trigger...i'm curious and kind of worried as to how they've handled it. it could go a lot of ways, and some of those ways aren't good. i've heard Rob mention the possibility of one day eliminating the turbo trigger, but being able the manually control your speed is pretty crucial in basketball. hopefully they've kept it and just make it more responsive than last year.
No one likes change at first, but after a game or 2 it will become like 2nd nature I'm sure.

# 73 vannwolfhawk @ 08/10/12 12:18 PM
I had an idea and czar said he brought up same things to devs after 2k11 in that we wanted to simplify play books and play calling by adding a button (play types) to categorize plays within your play book so it wasn't a cluster **** with 32 plays and all 4 play types mixed together. Apparently reasoning behind the no was that it added another button press and they didn't want to complicate things. Hmmmmm... Haha!

# 74 blues rocker @ 08/10/12 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
No one likes change at first, but after a game or 2 it will become like 2nd nature I'm sure.
heh..yeah, i'll get used to it...i won't have a choice. but i might end up just using the shot button instead, because it seems like the shot button could be the more responsive option for shooting now.

# 75 8KB24 @ 08/10/12 12:20 PM
I just hope we can ASSIGN those traits (like floor general etc) to my My Player.

# 76 VDusen04 @ 08/10/12 12:20 PM
I'm wondering if it'll be any more difficult to say, get a last-second shot off at a moment's notice. In my head it seems complicated or potentially delayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeC
I'm really hoping if we have a superior defender (such as Igoudala or Sefalosha) that changing stances aren't as necessary.

Or, even better, that with a terrible or below average on-ball defender that shading is crucial in playing defense.

Hopefully this also means the off-ball handling rating matters. You can see that it matters in a real game. Hell, look at Jeremy Lin and James Harden. Lin can't go left without picking up his dribble if his defender is pressuring him while someone like Harden is severely limited (not to the extent of Lin, but close) in going to his opposite side.
Yeah I'll be curious to see how this all plays out. When defensive shading made it's last appearance in 2K, it didn't seem to serve much of a purpose.

# 77 dwade21 @ 08/10/12 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerbang
only seen rondo for .5 seconds so hard to me to tell
look at jrue holiday or even brandon jennings

# 78 Thunder Storm @ 08/10/12 12:23 PM
the dribbling sold me.

# 79 iLLosophy @ 08/10/12 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
I had an idea and czar said he brought up same things to devs after 2k11 in that we wanted to simplify play books and play calling by adding a button (play types) to categorize plays within your play book so it wasn't a cluster **** with 32 plays and all 4 play types mixed together. Apparently reasoning behind the no was that it added another button press and they didn't want to complicate things. Hmmmmm... Haha!
That was a great post too I remember your idea. It was great, but apparently not great enough to overcome the hopstep.

# 80 vannwolfhawk @ 08/10/12 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
heh..yeah, i'll get used to it...i won't have a choice. but i might end up just using the shot button instead, because it seems like that is going to be the most responsive option for shooting.
Ya, I still use shot button. Only thing I use shot stick for was post game and lay ups. So I guess it's easy transition to me. But it's just like escape dribble pull ups now really.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.