Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 noshun @ 08/10/12 12:27 PM
Cant wait for the demo..

# 82 illwill10 @ 08/10/12 12:30 PM
I like the changes to dribbling. But, I rather have it where you have to press L2 to dribble than to shoot. I know it is something that I can learn. But, I dont want to miss out on open shots/dunks because I forget to press L2.

If I cant get use to it, I will go back to X(Square) shooting.

One other thing I noticed was that there was a new Free Throw grading system.

# 83 Kashanova @ 08/10/12 12:32 PM
Good to hear about real time physics. it's about time. let's see if Earl Boykins could guard Dwight

# 84 vannwolfhawk @ 08/10/12 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashanova
Good to hear about real time physics. it's about time. let's see if Earl Boykins could guard Dwight
Im more excited to see Lebron drive into earl boykins and send him flying into the 2nd row! Haha

# 85 blues rocker @ 08/10/12 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I'm wondering if it'll be any more difficult to say, get a last-second shot off at a moment's notice. In my head it seems complicated or potentially delayed.
yeah, i'm thinking i'm going to rely on the shot button for quicker shots. also, constantly holding down the left trigger to use the shot stick is going to make my index finger sore...seems like the shot stick might be more trouble than it's worth this year.

# 86 blues rocker @ 08/10/12 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by barimanlhs
It sounds like it is still there, but its obviously been altered in some way... I mentioned in another thread, maybe it is the same but the dribble moves require a trigger to perform them? Thus you can do everything with that right stick
no..it's the other way around. the shooting now requires a trigger - you now need to hold the left trigger while pressing the right stick to shoot. the right stick by itself is now for dribbling.

# 87 Da_Czar @ 08/10/12 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Yup, I'll just be happy if the physics portion on the defensive end is cleaned up. Interesting to see a few of these new features, as on the surface they seem to be re-introductions of what they offered previously. For instance, shading the ballhandler was present in. . . I want to say. . . 2K8 (with the red meter below the defender). And right-stick dribbling is a return to the original Iso-Motion.

Of course, my presumption is each of these re-introductions provides an entirely new level of refinement and awesomeness.
True but to use it you had to use that defensive assist or whatever and the AI kept the shade for you. With this one you initiate the shade and the movement is all on you !

It's not perfect by any means but in a comparative sense it is much improved over last year. They put a good amount of work into the on ball defender so you will see improvement but only you will know if it is enough for you to enjoy it.

# 88 fatleg3 @ 08/10/12 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveberg
Erm....so what happens to L2 + shot stick for Euro and hop steps?
I think it would still be the same in 2k13. You just have to be moving towards the basket.

And I think it will become second nature to hold L2+R2+Shot stick to dunk after a couple of games. Just like it became second nature to hold R2. But it may be easier for me to become accustomed to it because like Vannwolfhawk I only use the shot stick in the post and for layups.

# 89 BezO @ 08/10/12 12:59 PM
Info I can sink my teeth into. Looking good 2K!
  • The dribbling sounds sweet. I hadn't played Live in years, but if this is what they had, I can see why folks thought 2K was limiting. Separate controls for foot & hand movement sounds sweet.

• I'm a bit concerned with the shot stick controls. Holding LT won't be too difficult to get used to, but what about the shots that used LT? And I imagine we'll be holding both triggers for dunks. Hopefully shooting didn't suffer for the improvements to dribbling.

What I do like about the dribbling & shooting being on the same stick is that it sticks with the theme of controling feet with one stick & hands with the other. I'm sure it will be fairly intuitive once we get used to it.

• Controling bounce passes is music to my ears. And they seem to hint at crisper passing. Never new passes & catching were tied together like they explained. Glad they fixed that. More loose balls are desparately needed.

I was hoping to hear the pass button was pressure sensitive to control the speed/flight of the ball. Hopefully this is not the last news we'll get on passing.

• The lack of sliding looked great on D. I hope they get that fixed near 100%. Sliding was one of my mosted hated aspects of 2K.

• Shading controls! With the new dribbling, no way they could ignore defense. Between shading & physics, defense should be much improved.

My concern is how they'll balance physics, charging & blocking fouls. I'm hoping that they add more contact animations so that not all contact is so dramatic. Contact that just slows a ball handler down instead of knocing him back, more riding animations, etc. I saw a bit of that in the vid.

• Skill traits sound sweet. I hope it not only affects probabilities, but makes some animations exclusive to those traits, similar to All Pro 2K8.

# 90 Da_Czar @ 08/10/12 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
i'm really not sold on LT + RS for shooting...2k claims their goal is to simplify controls, but requiring LT + RS just to shoot is the opposite of simplicity. shooting the ball should be the simplest thing in a basketball game and they've gone and made it more complicated...having to press LT + RS + RT just to execute a simple dunk sounds like a ridiculous prospect. if 2k is committed to this right stick dribbling thing, then they should probably abandon the shot stick and go to shot button exclusively. it seems like cramming all of these functions into the right stick will just make shots and dunks less responsive and overly complicated. think about a situation like this - if you are on a fast break and you pass ahead to your teammate, do you really want to have to remember to hold down the left trigger before making him dunk or lay it in...i can see this control scheme resulting in a lack of responsiveness on shots when you need a very quick dunk or layup. due to this, i foresee a lot of people just giving up on the shot stick in favor of the shot button out of frustration. BUT...here's another question - do they still even have a shot button? i haven't seen that mentioned yet.

they've conveniently left out mentioning the turbo trigger...i'm curious and kind of worried as to how they've handled it. it could go a lot of ways, and some of those ways aren't good. i've heard Rob mention the possibility of one day eliminating the turbo trigger, but being able the manually control your speed is pretty crucial in basketball. hopefully they've kept it and just make it more responsive than last year.
OR just give you the option like they have if you want button use the button. To some ... me included holding the trigger is the same difference as holding it to do dribble moves. So your solution is already there Don't want to use the modifier then just use the button.

But for those that don't mind the shot stick experience is still available.

# 91 BezO @ 08/10/12 01:07 PM
Czar,

You may not be able to say WHAT they did, but can you tell us IF the shots that used the LT were remapped? I think the Euro step was on the LT, right?

# 92 ForeverVersatile @ 08/10/12 01:10 PM
I want this game more than sex right now and i want that pretty bad right now too..lol hope that statment is allowed. It just looks to damn good, no way that other NBA game can compete if it does come out.

# 93 blues rocker @ 08/10/12 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
To some ... me included holding the trigger is the same difference as holding it to do dribble moves.
yeah, i get what you're saying, but for me having an extremely quick and simple way to shoot is more crucial. holding the trigger to dribble didn't really affect the responsiveness of the dribbling, but in terms of shooting i can see it causing problems in scenarios when you need to quickly catch-and-shoot or catch-and-dunk like on a fast break. in these scenarios i will probably just rely on the button. i'm not panicking or anything, I just have to get used to the idea of not using the shot stick so much anymore. i'm sure the button will do just fine.

# 94 Da_Czar @ 08/10/12 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
yeah, i get what you're saying, but for me having an extremely quick and simple way to shoot is more crucial. holding the trigger to dribble didn't really affect the responsiveness of the dribbling, but in terms of shooting i can see it causing problems in scenarios when you need to quickly catch-and-shoot or catch-and-dunk like on a fast break. in these scenarios i will probably just rely on the button. i'm not panicking or anything, I just have to get used to the idea of not using the shot stick so much anymore. i'm sure the button will do just fine.
Understood blues Beluba just posted that you can reverse it also so you can make it to where you use the trigger for dribble moves and shot stick is straight shooting.

# 95 Da_Czar @ 08/10/12 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Czar,

You may not be able to say WHAT they did, but can you tell us IF the shots that used the LT were remapped? I think the Euro step was on the LT, right?
Yes they are still there. Beluba wanted to offer right stick dribbling without sacrificing much of anything for those that love the shot stick. The motto in their office was play how you want... Unofficial of course

If they haven't said how that part works I have to wait until they or some article does but they pretty much gave you the whole enchilada today.

# 96 SteelerSpartan @ 08/10/12 01:22 PM
Loving it

skipped last year but I was still in love with 2k11

I can't wait to get going with D-Rose again

# 97 m1ke_nyc @ 08/10/12 01:24 PM
Crossover pull up jumpers are gonna be sick with this new control scheme.

# 98 SageInfinite @ 08/10/12 01:31 PM
This is just beautiful.

# 99 blues rocker @ 08/10/12 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Understood blues Beluba just posted that you can reverse it also so you can make it to where you use the trigger for dribble moves and shot stick is straight shooting.
i might try that control scheme. although i can see a problem with that as well...like if you release the left trigger a bit too early, your player might start to shoot when you didn't want him to. hmm..i'll have to try them all out and see what works. i have a feeling i'll just go with the default scheme and use the shot button more often.

# 100 magicman32 @ 08/10/12 01:56 PM
First off the game looks great!!!! I'm looking forward to see what the perimeter defense is like.

But I have to see how the right stick dribbling and shot stick will work together. It better be ultra response or there will be problems. The control scheme is definitely going take some getting used to. As long as Kendrick Perkins isn't dribbling like Chris Paul without loosing the ball, I'm good.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.