Home
Madden NFL 13 News Post

These videos are also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Check out the intros in the Madden NFL 13 demo videos between the Seattle Seahawks vs. Washington Redskins and the New York Giants vs. San Francisco 49ers.

Game: Madden NFL 13Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 77 - View All
Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 cuttingteeth @ 08/10/12 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I am sitting here saying "Yes" like that diner scene from "When Harry Met Sally", lol. Thanks for articulating the specifics far better than I could. Like I said, a poster called The Watcher has actually been down to Tiburon and told them about these things, according to an OS search, so it just baffling at this point. I just wish EA/Tiburon would copy the NFL from the rooter to the tooter as best they can and stop letting the "Madden" brand get in the way.

Oh well, like you stated, at least it is far better than it has been.
I do work in film already, totally know where you guys are coming from and so here's what I'm seeing, too:

The first thing to take in mind is that youtube is notorious for compressing footage harsh. That means that all footage you'll see on youtube is going to come across at least slightly darkened than the live product on your home monitors/television.

Second, let the youtube footage completely load before watching. As with any streaming footage, if the loading is snagging or lagging, you get what looks like jumpy transitions, when they may actually be smooth when again you play it yourself on your monitors/television.

I actually don't see as much motion blur as I figured would be in the game, but these are like everyone's pointed out - they are prefabbed cut scenes/animations and not gameplay. So the motion blur may end up bugging some folks after all. Doubly, the motion blur needs to be really judged on playing the game at home and not on a compressed youtube video.

The motion of the camera moving with the player, like what happens when focused on RG3 warming up, they are pretty clearly trying to simulate "hand held" camera styling. Where that goes wrong is why many folks don't enjoy all of these found-footage films so much anymore. It plays with your conditioning of what film/television has made you used to - static shots or at the very least, stable dolly or tripod shots for action. Oh, and it also isn't so realistic anymore, as basically any high end camera now has amazing image stabilization. You honestly have to edit in with after effects in post to get a really shaky camera look.

Per the slight offness of replay footage compared to the live footage, that is your eye noticing frame rate differences. Most live sports and/or news (especially your local news stations) will be direct feeds being filmed at anywhere from 30 to 100 frames per second (or fps). Resolution isn't worth discussing because that is another subject really. When you watch a film it's 99% of the time shot and screened to you at 24fps - if you live in the UK, it's done at 25fps. That look is very specific. Daytime soap operas are mostly 30fps. Local/live news is mostly 60fps. Most live sports are shown at 60 to 100 fps. In the case of replay footage, though, it's no longer a live stream, and you're viewing a rendered version of the footage for replay/screening. That rendering usually takes 60fps live footage back down to 30fps or takes 100fps live footage back down to 30fps. Very few networks will render higher than 30fps, and so your eyes notice the "loss of gloss" if you will...or moreover you are able to see that rendering down in framerates isn't lossless.

I hope this helps some. If anything, you all now know why Peter Jackson's screening of The Hobbit footage in new, HD 48fps was really bothering people. We've really all gotten conditioned over so many years as to what certain footage should or shouldn't look like.

# 22 exposedaking @ 08/10/12 05:18 PM
Presentation looks great, player faces need MAJOR work

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

# 23 seasprite @ 08/10/12 05:18 PM
Not trying to be picky, but how come Moss has the redskins logo on his left sleeve but none of the other Redskins do?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

# 24 davep @ 08/10/12 05:30 PM
Phil Simms is still sucking on that sour candy.

# 25 Joobieo @ 08/10/12 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
Tom Coughlin's upper body is impeccable.

Is he on HGH?
lol i was thinking the same thing. Someone hit the gym this off season.

# 26 goalieump413 @ 08/10/12 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joobieo
lol i was thinking the same thing. Someone hit the gym this off season.
I was wondering if all the coaches had their necks removed or something

Otherwise, I liked what I saw. Yeah, the faces need work (Matt Flynn's face is one of the NCAA 12 generic faces), but overall, the body models aren't too bad.

Can't wait for the demo...

# 27 mrmass413 @ 08/10/12 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
For those that wondered early on,it looks as though Phil Simms changes his tie...lol.
Intro looks good,can't wait to see it in action.
LOL....first thing I noticed

# 28 nuckinfuts @ 08/10/12 06:35 PM
Wait, did they get rid of stadium blimp shots and player introductions/running out of the tunnel? I hope not!

# 29 roadman @ 08/10/12 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfuts
Wait, did they get rid of stadium blimp shots and player introductions/running out of the tunnel? I hope not!
Running out of the tunnel still happens in playoff games.

# 30 jmurphy31 @ 08/10/12 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
All the coaches look weird. Not sure why it's so hard for them.
It looks like their upper bodies are stretched out too long or something, but you're right they do look a little off

# 31 Gman 18 @ 08/10/12 07:30 PM
I hope Justin Tuck doesn't have a generic face this year. Sidney Rice once again has a generic face.

# 32 bxgoods @ 08/10/12 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman 18
I hope Justin Tuck doesn't have a generic face this year. Sidney Rice once again has a generic face.
You could see in 49ers giants video he still has a generic face unfortunately

# 33 Gaycandybacon @ 08/10/12 07:56 PM
I thought they looked pretty good. Good crowd noises and such. Can't wait to play it!

# 34 kingsofthevalley @ 08/10/12 08:42 PM
Now see, THATS what I'm talking about. All we need is upgrade to player movement and thats a wrap. Presentation is looking stellar. I hope they kept the camera cuts to the key players moving up to the line of scrimmage like they had in 12.

# 35 TDKing @ 08/10/12 09:06 PM
I was trying to it the A button half way through Sorry just being honest and that's how I felt. Looking foward to trying out the demo though.

# 36 DaveDQ @ 08/10/12 09:11 PM
I think they did a great job on the initial intro but I feel it needs some audio where the game is being announced. I added my own audio to introduce the teams right before it goes to Jim and Phil. It definitely ads to the broadcast/presentation feel:

# 37 skinnybonez @ 08/10/12 09:18 PM
everyone looks like they're on steroids

# 38 HolyCrap @ 08/10/12 09:52 PM
Is it weird that a prefer Madden Nance and Simms compared to actual CBS Nance and Simms...maybe I'm delusional

# 39 SaintBrees @ 08/10/12 10:07 PM
The redskins logo on the left shoulder pad of moss looks horrible and he is the only one who has it

# 40 schmit_95 @ 08/10/12 10:14 PM
I have a question for the gamechangers, if they might have some info on this. For me, that pre game nonsense is so cheesy. Why, why, why, why can EA Tiburon spend money on Nantz, Simms, Wingo, 13 twitter personalities, but they cant get the NFL on CBS presentation, or ESPNs, or Foxs, even the nfl network would be better than what theyve shown. NCaa college basketball 2010 did it with CBS and ESPN and it made that game 100X better than it was with that alone. Is anyone really excited for a "all new" ea sports musical score? I just think with a real presentation it would feel much more authentic. As good as NBA 2K s presentation is, could you imagine if they acquired the TNT license? Im sure its just me though...seems that alot of people like it.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.