Home
NHL 13 News Post

EA Sports has changed the way players are rated in NHL 13. This year, they are rated on a player's overall skill, based on their position.

NHL 13 Player Ratings

Top 5 Forwards
  • Pavel Datsyuk (93)
  • Sidney Crosby (94)
  • Alex Ovechkin (93)
  • Steven Stamkos (91)
  • Evgeni Malkin (91)
Top 5 Defensemen
  • Zdeno Chara (91)
  • Shea Weber (90)
  • Kris Letang (90)
  • Duncan Keith (90)
  • Ryan Suter (88)
Top 5 Goalies
  • Ryan Miller (91)
  • Henrik Lundqvist (91)
  • Jonathan Quick (90)
  • Carey Price (90)
  • Roberto Luongo (89)
  • Pekka Rinne (89)
Puck Daddy's Sean Leahy has posted more NHL 13 details and full player ratings for some of the top rated forwards, defensemen and goalies in the game. He will provide full player ratings tomorrow.

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 canucksss @ 08/14/12 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I really couldn't care less about how the players are rated, I never really had a problem with that. The issue for me has always been how the teams are rated. There is not enough distinction between good and bad teams in previous NHL games. That's why the standings are often out of whack (the Islanders being a 1 or 2 seed and the Wings missing the playoffs for example).
good point. but we have to admit that player distinction as well as team differences should be in the game. in my previous BaGM (NHL 12), great teams such as Vancouver, Detroit, Washington missed the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMilan1999
Plus, if you get far enough into GM modes, teams are always 100-99-90 or something ridiculous.
i did get into Year 4 (for straight 2 years did not sim any game) and find it freaking ridiculous that most teams are in the high 95 rating and some are in 100 either in offense or defense.

how realistic is that??? I HOPE EA WILL address these issues.

# 22 AC @ 08/14/12 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
i did get into Year 4 (for straight 2 years did not sim any game) and find it freaking ridiculous that most teams are in the high 95 rating and some are in 100 either in offense or defense.

how realistic is that??? I HOPE EA WILL address these issues.
When Columbus is 90-93-84 in my 5th year, something must be fixed.

# 23 bwiggy33 @ 08/14/12 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
Miller shouldn't be the top rated goalie. He shouldn't even be in the top 5. The top 5 goalies should be:

1. Henrik Lundqvist
2. Jonathan Quick
3. Pekka Rinne
4. Mike Smith
5. Brian Elliott/Jaroslav Halak
Not to turn this into a debate but why should Mike Smith, Brian Elliott, and Jaroslav Halak even crack the top 5? None of them have had a consistently great career. They've basically been one year wonders. Ratings should be based on what they've done throughout their career, not just what they did last year. I love Brian Elliott (done hockey camps with him 2 times) but he is nowhere near a top 5 goalie in the league. Hell he played a whopping total of 38 games and got torn up in the playoffs by the Kings. Halak had one playoff run where he played unreal and finally had a great year this year, mind you the help he had from Elliott when Halak struggled at the beginning of the year. As for Mike Smith he had the first great season of his career last year. Other than that at best he's been average his entire career. Hell his first time playing more than 41 games was this year.

As I said I'm not trying to start an argument with this but what I'm trying to get at is that ratings should be about consistency and what they've done throughout their career, and not just one season (unless the goalie is a rookie). Just my opinion on it and I know that people will disagree with it. I just think there are way too many players in the NHL who will have one great year and never even come close to repeating that the rest of their career. Ex: Jonathan Cheechoo.

My top five would be (can be switched around):

1. Lundqvist
2. Pekka Rinne
3. Roberto Luongo
4. Jonathan Quick
5. Ryan Miller (why? Consistency)

All consistent goalies.

# 24 Gagnon39 @ 08/14/12 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
Not to turn this into a debate but why should Mike Smith, Brian Elliott, and Jaroslav Halak even crack the top 5? None of them have had a consistently great career. They've basically been one year wonders. Ratings should be based on what they've done throughout their career, not just what they did last year. I love Brian Elliott (done hockey camps with him 2 times) but he is nowhere near a top 5 goalie in the league. Hell he played a whopping total of 38 games and got torn up in the playoffs by the Kings. Halak had one playoff run where he played unreal and finally had a great year this year, mind you the help he had from Elliott when Halak struggled at the beginning of the year. As for Mike Smith he had the first great season of his career last year. Other than that at best he's been average his entire career. Hell his first time playing more than 41 games was this year.

As I said I'm not trying to start an argument with this but what I'm trying to get at is that ratings should be about consistency and what they've done throughout their career, and not just one season (unless the goalie is a rookie). Just my opinion on it and I know that people will disagree with it. I just think there are way too many players in the NHL who will have one great year and never even come close to repeating that the rest of their career. Ex: Jonathan Cheechoo.

My top five would be (can be switched around):

1. Lundqvist
2. Pekka Rinne
3. Roberto Luongo
4. Jonathan Quick
5. Ryan Miller (why? Consistency)

All consistent goalies.
I agree with everything you said... except that Bobby Lou should crack the top five. EA Canada has been so far up his butt the last 5 years that its ridiculous. He's one of the most overrated goalies in the league. He's good, but not the best. And he certainly hasn't deserved to be the top goalie the last few years (I'm not sure he was in 12). If they have him in the top 5 this year I'll probably drop his ratings before starting a franchise.

# 25 bwiggy33 @ 08/14/12 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I agree with everything you said... except that Bobby Lou should crack the top five. EA Canada has been so far up his butt the last 5 years that its ridiculous. He's one of the most overrated goalies in the league. He's good, but not the best. And he certainly hasn't deserved to be the top goalie the last few years (I'm not sure he was in 12). If they have him in the top 5 this year I'll probably drop his ratings before starting a franchise.
I agree he's overrated. However, he's pretty damn consistent each year stat wise and he's normally one of the leaders in most goaltending stat categories. I just think he's one of the most consistent goalies in the NHL to leave him off the list. Plus who else would replace Luongo? Price, Fleury, Bryz. I just don't think Price and Fleury are consistent enough. They're both great goalies but they're not quite consistently good yet. Grant it Price doesn't exactly have the greatest D core. Bryz might be the best choice though. Hell he still had the same GAA with Philly as he did in his final season with Phoenix. He played 10 less games though.

Really the ratings comparisons could go on and on and on. I just think what it comes down to is consistency. That's how EA would be able to get each player in the game to play like they would in real life. As for the changes they did make, I'm extremely happy. It should really make the game that much better.

# 26 Gagnon39 @ 08/14/12 10:40 PM
As long as Corey Crawford is God-awful, I'll be happy. I want to see at least one weak goal per game. And if I ever get a shutout, then I'll just trade the game in, because at that point it will be the most unrealistic hockey game every made... /sarcasm

# 27 Gagnon39 @ 08/14/12 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Very well said and I agree completely. Kinda off topic but with the issues with Thomas I wonder if he's even in the game this year or if they set it so that he's inactive somehow. Same thing with Savard, he's never coming back, so sick of having to scratch him and have him waste a bench spot.
I've thought about Thomas as well. I'm not sure what to do if he's in the game.

# 28 Unsung Hero @ 08/15/12 01:25 AM
Quote:
Very well said and I agree completely. Kinda off topic but with the issues with Thomas I wonder if he's even in the game this year or if they set it so that he's inactive somehow. Same thing with Savard, he's never coming back, so sick of having to scratch him and have him waste a bench spot.
Just move him to the legends team before you start Be a GM.

# 29 gator3guy @ 08/15/12 01:46 AM
Quote:
He's technically still active. Same with Pronger. They'll just sit on LTIR until further notice.

Flyers had Mike Rathje on the roster for the longest time because of this. They also had Betts and Laperriere last year.

# 30 Simple Mathematics @ 08/15/12 03:00 AM
Top 5 forwards should be:
1. Crosby
2. Datsyuk
3. Malkin
4. Stamkos
5. Giroux

Defenders:
1. Weber
2. Chara
3. Karlsson
4. Keith
5. Suter

Goalies:
1. Henrik Lundqvist
2. Jonathan Quick
3. Pekka Rinne
4. Mike Smith
5. Brian Elliott/Jaroslav Halak

# 31 plaidchuck @ 08/15/12 12:18 PM
Why so low on the Dmen ratings? Just because they don't have high offensive ratings? If not what about Dmen who suck at D but are great at offense? (Green, Karlsson)

# 32 FBeaule04 @ 08/15/12 01:31 PM
I couldn't care less about ratings as long you can edit any player you want and go from there.

I prefer to see Crosby at 95 defensive awareness and on the PK (something you won't see often) than having George Parros or any tough guy on a PK (something you'll never see).

# 33 AC @ 08/15/12 01:41 PM
Having Colton Orr on the Leafs PK when you set best lines is ridiculous. However, I gotta say, it's looking like they fixed it. The demo will tell, though.

# 34 BigMacAttack22 @ 08/15/12 03:43 PM
My take on the ratings is this (with some explanation):

Forwards
1. Crosby (95)
2. Datsyuk (95)
3. Malkin (94) - Would love to put him 1st but a healthy Crosby is always better from a ratings standpoint
4. Stamkos (93)
5. Giroux (90) - separation between "elite" and "good" should start minimally right here
6. Ovechkin (90) extended to 6 to show where I have him dropping to (for now)

Defensemen:
1. Chara (92)
2. Weber (89)
3. Suter (87)
4. Letang (86)
5. Karlsson (85)
There are some defensemen in the league who are simply pylons. I would like to see greater separation in ratings reflect that. I would expect lots of mid-80 rated players for Top-4 d-men.

Goalies:
1. Quick (92) - Quick WAS the LA Kings for most of last season. Only reason they were in the playoffs. Don't understand how he isn't first.
2. Rinne (90)
3. Lundqvist (90)
4. Miller (89)
5. Brodeur (88)
For reference, I'd give Mike Smith and the Elliot/Halak tandem ratings in the mid-80's

# 35 Cletus @ 08/15/12 07:17 PM
I don't understand all the fuss about ratings. Ryan Miller rated too high in your opinion? Edit his rating. It's funny that people get so caught up in ratings on a site like OS when there's plenty of people making rosters every year.

# 36 ManiacMatt1782 @ 08/15/12 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus
I don't understand all the fuss about ratings. Ryan Miller rated too high in your opinion? Edit his rating. It's funny that people get so caught up in ratings on a site like OS when there's plenty of people making rosters every year.
Can't play be a gm/gm comnnected with edited rosters, so its a HUGE deal this year

# 37 AC @ 08/15/12 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
Can't play be a gm/gm comnnected with edited rosters, so its a HUGE deal this year
You can't? Crap! If MacKinnon has C-C-C potential again, I'm going to write a strongly worded letter...

# 38 Simple Mathematics @ 08/15/12 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
THIS! But we can still edit them for BaGM.

They better not dog Brayden Schenn's potential rating. Him, along with guys like Nazem Kadri, Nino Niederreiter, Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Nail Yakupov, Vladimir Tarasenko, and Dougie Hamilton need to have high potential ratings.

# 39 Zuke @ 08/15/12 08:23 PM
i thought the ratings are coming out today

# 40 06woz @ 08/16/12 08:51 AM
Quote:
Sean Leahy
‏@Sean_Leahy
Due to a delay, no NHL 13 ratings on Puck Daddy today. Hopefully Thursday (hopefully).

Hopefully later today.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.