Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

Here is a quick NBA 2K13 video clip from Gamescom, just skip to roughly the 9:47 mark.

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 deetoman @ 08/16/12 01:25 AM
I just love this time of year, 10 second video and people know everything there is to know about the game..... Anyway it was a Demo and as Dawolf said it was stripped of somethings so running plays is out, like every other 2k demo.....

# 102 Phreezy P @ 08/16/12 01:30 AM
When's the flood of gameplay like last year's gamescom going to come?

# 103 mlp111 @ 08/16/12 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevaliantx
I'm sorry to say this, but some here need to lay down the cool-aid. No matter what 2K says in its marketing campaign, the stuff we've seen thus far PROVES that the game has NOT been improved like it should have been. Like another member said, there is no floor spacing whatsoever on offense. Just a bunch of clutter, little to no AI movement without the ball. The AI didn't appear to be running any kind of plays in the video (at least I hope not, that would be an awful indictment on the development team), just a bunch of pass-pass-pass-shoot. At this point I'll stick with 2K12, as bad as it is.
It's your choice, but from what i see, everything looks amazing, and greatly improved, most of those issue will or can be fixed with sliders, but game looks incredible to me, i respect your opinion, but as for me this is a day one purchase, i already deleted 2k12 off my pc because of the 30 sec video, can't play it again, so i'll just finish other games until 2k13 comes out, the minor improvements is enough to make me wrap up 2k12

# 104 jersez @ 08/16/12 02:02 AM
I honestly feel like 2k13, is what 2k12 was suppose to be. Playing 2k12 and seeing the possibilities in it, and looking at 2k13 and seeing those possibilities realized is amazing.

The fact that it took 2k a year to fix, the physics is incredible. Just shows how dedicated the team is. Also to the person saying it's not a giant leap, I can't understand how fixing the physics wasn't a giant leap. I doubt we'll see giant leaps in games, since this generation is almost over. I think we'll have to wait for the next gen, to see improvements in some areas of the game. Again the fact that they were able to solve such a giant problem as physics is amazing.

# 105 JerzeyReign @ 08/16/12 02:03 AM
I'm on my way up -- lets see if I can get more than a 'quick clip'

# 106 tuck243 @ 08/16/12 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersez
^^^^That's what I'm saying I never heard 2k use the term rtp. I think they just said they fixed the physics. I would like to know what engine they are using.

Okay, that wasn't hand checking. I guess you have 20/40 vison, because I can barely make out the players faces, so for you to see Westbrook face is amazing. The player models look nothing like live, and if your going to say a absurd statement like that you can at least say which live, so we can compare for ourselves.

It's only 30 seconds and is the first real gameplay video we have at this moment. I'm grateful that this vid, popped up. Maybe jerzyreign and dawolf will get some gameplay videos tomorrow.
First off you are blind my friend, that is clearly Westbrook guarding Rio... And that look nothing like him... Dude has full hair now???

Secondly, it's hand-checking when and if you stop or restrict a player's momentum or quickness... The "technical" rules say it's just the hand, but I've seen COUNTLESS times in the league they call that forearm too... Unless a player is backing you down...

The NBA is all about team D... Why you think Rondo is able to slice and dice at will without a jumper??? You can't touch him... Either team D, playing the passing lanes, and/or a shot blocker is the reason for team success on the defensive end... Name one lock down defender in the league and I'll show you how often he got his a** busted... They just make it harder to score that's it... Some are just longer so they can back up or shade them to help side (Bron on D. Rose)... That's realistic, not this bumping crap... Have you seen anyone stay in front of CP3 in real life??? He goes where he wants to on that primeter. I understand it's a game though, but that bumping isn't real life simulation end of story...

# 107 Mos1ted @ 08/16/12 02:21 AM
It's hard for me to fully judge a 30 second clip -- it is amazing, however, how gifted some posters here are at dissecting small clips -- but the collision system and on-ball defense is playing out like I imagined it would. My only gripe at this point is the floor spacing and the lack of consequences from over-dribbling in tight spaces. I like to see the AI pressure the ball more in those situations to force the user to pick up his dribble, try to escape the pressure, or pass the ball. To me, that's what leads to the cheesy tactics of ballhogging with a single player in previous games. I also wish either the player models were smaller or the court was bigger. I think 2K11 had it perfectly when it came to player-to-court proportions.

# 108 jersez @ 08/16/12 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyReign
My boy!!!!!

# 109 tuck243 @ 08/16/12 02:30 AM
"Our rules are focused on keeping the middle open to offer more opportunities for players to cut & penetrate to the basket. When we disallowed the use of the hand & forearm to the body, the defensive 3-second rule in conjunction with the hand check interpretation gave offensive players on the perimeter more offensive freedom."

- Stu Jackson; NBA Exec. VP of Operations; "Season Review with Stu Jackson", May 5, 2007

Nuff said...

# 110 Boilerbuzz @ 08/16/12 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
i didn't say i looked bad, dude. i think it looks really good...i'm just saying it's probably being created by an animation system and not a "real time physics" system. that's all.

i'm basically saying that i don't care how they go about conveying a sense of physics, as long as it looks real and makes sense...and what i've seen so far looks pretty good.
Didn't mean to imply that you meant bad. Just saying that ultimately, simulated physics today are nowhere near capable of looking more realistic than mocap. There is no tech in the world ready for that. Probably not in our lifetime. We get closer, but mocap is as real as your going to get. The key is using it effectively. That's all. Just asking you what you feel is missing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

# 111 jersez @ 08/16/12 03:48 AM
Please stay on topic and don't turn this into a hand checking argument.

# 112 8KB24 @ 08/16/12 06:31 AM
Jesus Shuttlesworth -.- Some people are just too damn nitpicking. Go play Mario Brothers or something. This still IS early build of NBA 2K13 and you have no playcalling enabled or anything so that's why there are no off-ball movements. And user is not farmiliar with dribling sticks. And also, didi I mention this is early build?

# 113 Gatorfan Frank @ 08/16/12 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
30 second clip in August, so I guess we take it all with a grain of salt... BUT....

Most of those perimeter bumps of the ball-handler when driving to the basket would be foul calls in the NBA. Defenders should either cut off the path or ride the ball-handler to a spot, not bump them in mini-animations. I'm interested to see how "stuck" into those contact animations we get. Hopefully there's a slider for those contact animations just like we got for Driving and Inside Shots in 2K12.

I did see a forearm check to the back to maintain "contact" though and that was nice to see. The overall pace of the walking/running animations looked cleaner and less herky-jerky.

The passing looks almost as bad as in 2K12 but again, judgment to be reserved for release. Still seeing those ugly, floated, half-overhead passes where bounce passes or chest passes would be made.
Don't worry about it, bro, because fouls are rare things in the 2K universe.

# 114 Gatorfan Frank @ 08/16/12 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_OS
Love people like you ....

Looks good to me , looks very smooth , defense is actually moving , Durant was actually working to get in position etc.

Only thing I didn't like was the Lob pass.

WTH looked like 2k12 to you?
Not the same guy, but I see the same generic shoes from 2K12 and the same wrong-colored accessories, which is somewhat disappointing.

# 115 WizardJay @ 08/16/12 12:02 PM
Contest shots still look fake as ever

# 116 Gatorfan Frank @ 08/16/12 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoCarl
Good thing it's only a 30 second clip and not representative for the full game after using sliders and such!
Yeah, that makes me feel a lot better considering you can't change the sliders on online play!

# 117 aloncho11 @ 08/16/12 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyReign

Whatever you can is good

Enjoy your time there!

# 118 mlp111 @ 08/16/12 12:23 PM
Quote:
Wrong. Sliders have nothing to do with causing the A.I. to run plays or not. Sliders also have nothing to do with floor spacing.

The biggest complaints each year for 2K have been with gameplay VERSUS THE AI. When you're playing another human, that's one thing. Each person is hammering away at the pass buttons and setting picks. The frantic pace almost makes it impossible to 'see' whether the AI is doing its job.

When playing VERSUS THE COMPUTER it's an entirely different story. It becomes SO OBVIOUS what the AI will do each time up the court. Bring the ball up the court. Stand around at the top of the perimeter. As long as you have a man in front of the AI with the ball the shotclock will wind down and a prayer will be thrown up. It's repetitive, unrealistic and KILLS the game in franchise / season modes.

It amazes me so many folks are caught up in the graphics, shoe colors / types, the appearances of the jumbotron or whether the nails on the floorboards look like they came straight from Lowes or Home Depot. And I thought MY knowledge of the game of basketball was limited.
i'm just going to say to each its own, i havent had these issues.... so i guess thats the beauty of having it on pc as well as consoles, pc guys (michaelvlutz49) fix these issues so i guess thats why i have no idel what your talking about.. honestly

# 119 blues rocker @ 08/16/12 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
Didn't mean to imply that you meant bad. Just saying that ultimately, simulated physics today are nowhere near capable of looking more realistic than mocap. There is no tech in the world ready for that. Probably not in our lifetime. We get closer, but mocap is as real as your going to get. The key is using it effectively. That's all. Just asking you what you feel is missing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
relying on animations can work if implemented well, but the weakness of an animation system is that there will always be moments where the correct animation does not play out...so you can sometimes feel cheated by those incorrect animations. this is why it's important that the developers do their work and make sure the correct animations play out when they're supposed to, and that all animations are breakable/branchable, so you don't end up with junk like this:

unstoppable hopstep (skip to the 2:07 mark):

i don't know much about the technology behind these games, but maybe there's a way they can combine animations with some form of real physics...The Euphoria engine has given us a taste of this in GTA and Red Dead Redemption, as well as the game Backbreaker. So there are examples of companies implementing real physics into their games. Obviously it's harder to implement in a basketball game, though, due to the wide variety of movement in the game of basketball.

# 120 mlp111 @ 08/16/12 12:36 PM
Quote:
Lol. Please. RARELY do pc versions of said game allow "modders" to correct the core engine of the game. That's no exception here. Maybe you'll be able to have the aesthetics you're looking for, but it doesn't change the fact that what I saw in this "quick clip" shows that 2K doesn't "get it" when it comes to giving the fans the real life experience they're wanting. You know, the AI actually running plays, the spacing on the court looking realistic. I guess I'm in that small minority of gamers. ;-)
its all in the exe file, modders have been pretty good at tweaking and changing things, there are some good youtube clips showing it off....but its a videogame, not going to get that realistic to life feel that we dreaming of, just not going to happen, but its realistic enough for me, these generation consoles are tooo limited, well all consoles are, they should build on pc that has no restrictions and go from there

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.