Home
NHL 13 News Post

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 gopher_guy @ 08/17/12 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
FIFA does this with a cutscene. When you score there is the manual celebration but if you wait for your players to come it goes into the cutscene of the player celebrating with his teammates. If you start running away from your team when you score, they continue to run towards you no matter what and it always ends in your teammates hugging the player and celebrating. That's exactly how NHL should be.
Yep, they need to go talk to the FIFA guys. Cele's in FIFA are perfect.

# 22 gopher_guy @ 08/17/12 12:45 AM
And I forgot to mention:

LOVE the inside the goal cam replay!

# 23 bwiggy33 @ 08/17/12 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
And I forgot to mention:

LOVE the inside the goal cam replay!
No question! I'm actually very surprised they added both the in net camera, and the actual in net replay. I never thought either one of those would even be added. It looks awesome. Sadly the first time seeing the in net cam in action I found a problem with the goalies. It looks really sweet though. Much more like a live telecast. It at least freshens things up a bit. I'm pretty much run down with Thorne and Clement but EA adding in the subtle presentation changes should help freshen up the game at least a little bit.

# 24 ezzle @ 08/17/12 04:51 AM
penalties?

# 25 Dazraz @ 08/17/12 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzle
penalties?
I think Penalties are going to be the new feature for NHL 14. EA ran out of time to put it in this year. Ha ha

In all seriousness though I'm liking the look of this years game. Can't wait for the demo. Does anyone know if the demo has slider adjustments?

# 26 Money99 @ 08/17/12 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapon X
The sad thing is, they did recognize it for one glorious year (I think it was 11?) and then it mysteriously vanished, so it's not like it hasn't been in the game before. For all the "real time presentation" stuff they put out, I would've had no problem with bringing back that old group goal celebration cutscene after the zoom in on the goal scorer...

*sigh* Oh well...

WX
NHL2004 still had the best celebrations in any hockey game. Not only did you get the small individual celebration (arms raised), but then all the players would gather for the group hug.
They also had multiple camera angles to display the group hug.
It looked 100% authentic and super cool.

Still not sure why that hasn't been replicated since.

# 27 savoie2006 @ 08/17/12 01:06 PM
Maybe because those were cutscene celebrations.

# 28 Vikes1 @ 08/17/12 03:21 PM
My cpu finally let me watch the vid.

Oh man....I think I'm going to really like this years game...a lot!

Nothing earth shaking I suppose, but I really like the improvements shown here. The skating looks very nice, and I did see some examples of the more loose puck. Could be looser yet, but hopefully the reception slider will help a bit.

Also really liked the RTP. I tried to focus in on how the AI players were reacting. Overall....I didn't see really anything that looked poorly done. In fact with what I could tell...the AI seemed to be covering the opposing player in their area quite closely. The slot area seemed to be covered pretty well, in order to prevent the easy cross crease passes. There goes my GPGA.

Overall yeah....I really liked what Andy was showing and talking about. Well done, Andy! Looking forward to the demo more now than ever.

# 29 savoie2006 @ 08/17/12 10:12 PM
Watching two humans play kind of ruined things for me as the D play from both was awful. I really want to see more of the Cpu AI. Fluery let in some weak shots which kind of concerns me.

# 30 Vic1 @ 08/17/12 10:49 PM
Game looks decent, but I want to get my hands on the demo. I do understand the concerns about the Fleury goal, and I agree that is a completely poor animation but hopefully sliders would fix that? I was honestly watching the video and hoping this was an earlier build as well.

Minor thing: Flyers "C" is black on those jerseys, not white.

Also, I will bring this up to the masses: I am really tired of seeing guys not look like them. Come on, any Flyers fan (and there appear to be a lot of them in here) know that Braydon Coburn looks NOTHING like that. And for Hartnell, come on, you can't get his long hair in the game and his scraggly beard? That basically defines the guy. This is a huge project that EA needs to undertake for next year. I am really getting tired of looking at these players and not even recognizing guys for a team that I watch 82 games of. Really, get it together in that department EA.

Other than that, the game looks like it plays well, and some of the changes appear to be necessary and I will most likely buy the game, but I just really want these guys to start focusing on nailing some of these players. FIFA does it. 2K does it. NHL, for some reason, can't get Braydon Coburn and Scott Hartnell to look like they do?

# 31 ThePebble19 @ 08/18/12 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Yeah I admit, with a Flyer being the cover guy this year, alot of Philly's cyber faces are just off, I mean the face looks like Hartnell, but the attention to detail with the scraggly gruff look obviously being absent is disappointing. Giroux being the cover player doesn't look all that accurate either at least based on screenshots.

While I know its near impossible to have accurate looks for the what, 700 players in the NHLPA, I kinda expect a bit better attention to detail when it comes to star players. As a Bruins fan I've been spoiled since they seem to have most of the Bruins pretty spot on with the exception of Marchand and Rask. Heck even Darth Quader looked pretty close in 12.
They didn't have enough polygons and pixels to create Marchand's nose, so he gets a generic face.

# 32 Weapon X @ 08/18/12 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
NHL2004 still had the best celebrations in any hockey game. Not only did you get the small individual celebration (arms raised), but then all the players would gather for the group hug.
They also had multiple camera angles to display the group hug.
It looked 100% authentic and super cool.

Still not sure why that hasn't been replicated since.
IDK, I've played a ton of modded NHL 2004 and usually only the people directly involved in the play come over for the celebration (I can recall seeing a max of three players celebrating together in over 200 games, but perhaps I'm mistaken). In NHL 11, all five players gathered together after a goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1
Other than that, the game looks like it plays well, and some of the changes appear to be necessary and I will most likely buy the game, but I just really want these guys to start focusing on nailing some of these players. FIFA does it. 2K does it. NHL, for some reason, can't get Braydon Coburn and Scott Hartnell to look like they do?
FIFA and 2K are also more likely to have budgets that are miles above NHL's.

It seems to me as if they work in tiers. They go from the guys who are considered top tier (face[s] of the franchise) and work their way down; both guys are "second tier" popularity players on the Flyers. Who were the "new" cyberfaces they promoted in the Presentation Overhaul video? Karlsson, Letang, Malhotra(?) and Kane. "Top-down" approach -- guys who emerge or are budding as faces of their respective franchises get priority over locally popular players for obvious marketing reasons.

Quote:
As a Bruins fan I've been spoiled since they seem to have most of the Bruins pretty spot on with the exception of Marchand and Rask.
Hmm, interesting, I thought Rask's generic face bore a decent resemblance to him (if they still use the generic face I'm thinking of, that is).

WX

# 33 Rostee F @ 08/18/12 05:04 AM
Game looks good, but the presentation still suck! Goalies are almost the same as last year imo. Overall i look forward to play the demo next week but i will skip this again i guess!

# 34 06woz @ 08/18/12 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
Watching two humans play kind of ruined things for me as the D play from both was awful. I really want to see more of the Cpu AI. Fluery let in some weak shots which kind of concerns me.
Seems about right,

# 35 jsquigg @ 08/18/12 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rostee F
Game looks good, but the presentation still suck! Goalies are almost the same as last year imo. Overall i look forward to play the demo next week but i will skip this again i guess!
While there may be issues with the goalies, they are not the same as last year, and that is obvious to anyone who has watched any of the vids explaining the "improvements" to goalies. I'm pretty pumped for this game, but the one thing I hope can be fixed by sliders is the amazing ability of 100 mph passes being able to magnetize to sticks like glue. The puck is a bit bouncier on default, but there is still a long way to go....

# 36 mkharsh33 @ 08/18/12 02:32 PM
Looks much like NHL 12 with another added patch - not a bad thing, but not the great leap in presentation I was hoping to see... The puck looks even more magnetized in 13 than in previous year's. Again, hopefully this can be address via sliders, but if not it's somewhat of a downer. Game just seems to lack that "sloppiness" that I LOVE about NHL hockey, but I have to caution myself here or I'll get labeled (yet again).

# 37 Flyermania @ 08/18/12 02:37 PM
Quote:
Yeah I admit, with a Flyer being the cover guy this year, alot of Philly's cyber faces are just off, I mean the face looks like Hartnell, but the attention to detail with the scraggly gruff look obviously being absent is disappointing. Giroux being the cover player doesn't look all that accurate either at least based on screenshots.

While I know its near impossible to have accurate looks for the what, 700 players in the NHLPA, I kinda expect a bit better attention to detail when it comes to star players. As a Bruins fan I've been spoiled since they seem to have most of the Bruins pretty spot on with the exception of Marchand and Rask. Heck even Darth Quader looked pretty close in 12.
I am really surprised they didn't at least go all out and get Giroux perfect...after all, he is the cover athlete.

# 38 Vikes1 @ 08/18/12 04:44 PM
The more I watch the video, the more things I see that I like.

When Andy mentioned about them turning up the sticks not morphing through things as much as before...wouldn't it be great if that could be controlled by a slider. [wishful thinking]

I remember someone from EAC not long ago had said that apparently they experimented with cranking this up quite a ways. And they believed that it affected the flow of the game simply too much. Sounds like it would be awesome if the User could control this.

# 39 Gagnon39 @ 08/18/12 06:09 PM
Quote:
If the pass reception ease slider is indeed fixed, we should be alright there. Here's to hoping it actually is.
No question. Not to mention the CPU's pass accuracy still needs to be lower.

# 40 Lightbringer719 @ 08/18/12 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rostee F
Really, I think the only think that sucks about presentation is the fact that intermissions appear to be the same thing, yet again. Other than that, I like everything else.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.