Home
NHL 13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

The above video showcases everything that is in the demo. Sliders, cameras, options, etc.

The NHL 13 demo is available now for the 360, later this afternoon for PS3. (We'll update this post when it is available.)

Queue it up right here, if you're not near a console. The NHL 13 demo weighs in at 1.33 GB.

The NHL 13 demo features four different modes. Play Now, NHL Moments Live, Hockey Ultimate Team and Free Skate.

In Play Now, you will control either the Los Angeles Kings or the New Jersey Devils in the 3rd period with a random score each time you play.

To learn more about the NHL 13 demo, click here and check out the latest blog.

Post your impressions here!

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Money99 @ 08/21/12 02:35 PM
bwiggy33, do you recall who The Winger was?
I'm wondering if it was a player with very poor defensive attributes (eg, Kovalchuk).
Maybe that's why he did such a poor job of helping his dman out?

# 62 SinisterAlex @ 08/21/12 02:39 PM
Here's some gameplay I got this morning. Playing on All Star - Normal using the True Broadcast Camera.

I'm really loving this game. Like others have said though, backwards skating is a bit ridiculous, especially seeing as you can skate backwards from end to end at full speed. Other than that, everything is awesome! People whining about penalties, sliders can fix that.

# 63 bwiggy33 @ 08/21/12 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
bwiggy33, do you recall who The Winger was?
I'm wondering if it was a player with very poor defensive attributes (eg, Kovalchuk).
Maybe that's why he did such a poor job of helping his dman out?
Ya know what I don't recall. It would have been nice if I would have remembered that because that could be a good reason the winger didn't react. The only thing is it would have been nice to at least see the winger not look like an idiot. Maybe have the winger just react too slow but at least look like he's making an effort. To me it just looks so annoying because the winger just doesn't appear to know what his job is on the ice. Almost brain dead looking.

# 64 bwiggy33 @ 08/21/12 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterAlex
I'm really loving this game. Like others have said though, backwards skating is a bit ridiculous, especially seeing as you can skate backwards from end to end at full speed. Other than that, everything is awesome! People whining about penalties, sliders can fix that.
Not to be an *** but that's not true by any means. Bumping every single penalty slider in NHL 12 up to full hardly did jack. So unless they made that more effective this year than your statement is not true. We don't know until the full game comes out whether the sliders will actually work properly this year.

# 65 EA_Noun @ 08/21/12 02:45 PM
Hey, thanks for pointing out that always goal. We've taken a look at it and have addressed it. A fix will be part of the first tuner set released on the same day as the launch.

The demo is a great time for us to discover all of these things, and we'll be able to make changes on going as we lead up to the release.

# 66 JamieLeeWV @ 08/21/12 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA_Noun
Hey, thanks for pointing out that glitch goal. We've taken a look at it and have addressed it. A fix will be part of the first tuner set released on the same day as the launch.

The demo is a great time for us to discover all of these things, and we'll be able to make changes on going as we lead up to the release.
This is great to see!

# 67 canucksss @ 08/21/12 02:56 PM
Quote:
Here's some gameplay I got this morning. Playing on All Star - Normal using the True Broadcast Camera.

A person who "whines" without any supporting facts is a ****. But as we know based on experience in NHL 12, sliders is closed to a FAILURE, from passing, penalties etc. I hope you are right that sliders can fix this..but you're only assuming that it will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
Not to be an *** but that's not true by any means. Bumping every single penalty slider in NHL 12 up to full hardly did jack. So unless they made that more effective this year than your statement is not true. We don't know until the full game comes out whether the sliders will actually work properly this year.
THANK YOU!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA_Noun
Hey, thanks for pointing out that glitch goal. We've taken a look at it and have addressed it. A fix will be part of the first tuner set released on the same day as the launch.

great news. was hoping that sliders was in the game so we know if it will work or not and that EA could fix it and include it in the tuner 1.0. the saddest thing after buying a game is to wait for couple of weeks for the release of a tuner that will correct important points of the game.

# 68 Pezell04x @ 08/21/12 03:00 PM
Got about 10 periods in before the baby woke up:

- Weight is important. I am loving the feel of these players. You can really tell the difference between someone like Elias and Vochenkov.

- Speed: Kovalchuk flies, like he should. This means guys like Crosby, Malkin and Stamkos will fly as well.

To piggyback off of speed: players feel different. Unlike 12 where the only difference between Crosby and Shawn Thornton was laundry, each player feels and handles differently.

- Camera angles/replays: love the goalie cam except for the jaggies. I like the replays this year as well. I also like the angle after you score.

- Goalies: Hard to score, which I love. So far it seems like the cheese goals (wristers to the corners) are gone. The wrap around still works, but not that much.

Dislikes:

- AI seems stupid. Nothing really different from 12. I hope this is changed for EASHL or its another sad year of awful AI defensemen.

- Backwards skating: Honestly I just hate the premise of it.

I'm sure there will be more I can think of. Also, is it me or is it harder to pull off a one timer compared to last year?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

# 69 SinisterAlex @ 08/21/12 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
A person who "whines" without any supporting facts is a ****. But as we know based on experience in NHL 12, sliders is closed to a FAILURE, from passing, penalties etc. I hope you are right that sliders can fix this..but you're only assuming that it will.
Was the penalty slider broken in NHL 12...? I don't recall it being broken. I got numerous penalties with the penalty slider maxed, not sure what your guy's problems are...

People who are whining about not seeing penalties in a 5 minute 3rd period demo... are nuts. What do you guys expect to see in 5 minutes of gameplay? 4 penalties aside? That's 8 minutes of penalties in 5 minutes... If this demo was like Madden, were we had a full game at our disposal, then maybe we would see more penalties, but you're not going to see a sim game in 5 minutes....

# 70 Panicshade @ 08/21/12 03:03 PM
The name-calling and such on either side of this issue is uncalled for. If you can't state your opinion without feeling the need to throw in an insult then you probably shouldn't post it.

# 71 bwiggy33 @ 08/21/12 03:14 PM
Quote:
Was the penalty slider broken in NHL 12...? I don't recall it being broken. I got numerous penalties with the penalty slider maxed, not sure what your guy's problems are...

People who are whining about not seeing penalties in a 5 minute 3rd period demo... are nuts. What do you guys expect to see in 5 minutes of gameplay? 4 penalties aside? That's 8 minutes of penalties in 5 minutes... If this demo was like Madden, were we had a full game at our disposal, then maybe we would see more penalties, but you're not going to see a sim game in 5 minutes....
Well you must have been one lucky dude last year. I played 11 minute periods and nothing less my entire time with the game. The most penalties I ever saw in a game was 7 combined. Most of the time it was about an average of 3 or 4. Does that sound like a normal NHL game to you? It doesn't to me considering the NHL is basically a penalty fest now and whoever wins the ST battle normally wins the game. That didn't happen in 12.

The penalty slider was no doubt broken (or extremely ineffective) as was the pass reception slider. Guarantee about 80% of the people would say the same thing. It was probably one of the top 3 problems talked about with NHL 12.

# 72 mikenoob @ 08/21/12 03:18 PM
PSN has updated, downloading the demo now. It sits at 1461MB

# 73 kerosene31 @ 08/21/12 03:22 PM
Quote:
I got penalties in 12 also and I didn't even touch the slider. Granted, they were a little low, but nothing I felt was unreasonable. Sometimes I would get a game with 10 minute periods where there would be zero penalties, but not a whole lot. I almost always get a few. Playing BAP with 20 minute periods I get lots of penalties (not created by my player of course). Was playing last night and even had two penalty shots and even a 4 minute penalty.

# 74 arsenal123gunners @ 08/21/12 03:24 PM
It's up for PS3, search NHL 13 in PS Store

# 75 Gagnon39 @ 08/21/12 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
So glad you can go against the goalie in Free Skate, 1 on 1. Would be cool if it had 2 on 1 breaks w/ a teammate vs. AI.
No doubt. This is what I'll be doing 90% of the time with the demo. Practice, practice, practice. I spent hours fine-tuning my skills with this in previous versions.

# 76 shogunofharlem3 @ 08/21/12 03:31 PM
I like it. Coming from 2k, I really wish EA would implemented the poke check to the right stick with full control like on 2k10, and mapped the check button to a button.

Just played 2 more games. Really liked it, although I find that my short passes end up no where near the player they are going to. I am sure that will end with practice.

So far so good.

# 77 TheBMarshall15 @ 08/21/12 03:31 PM
its online for ps3

# 78 ArmBarVictim @ 08/21/12 03:35 PM
I love watching the nhl demos get lots of praise and then slowly the complaints start right after release, always gives me a chuckle.

On topic now: the game feels great and I love the new skating system, and I have high hopes for the gm connected bringing me from a mainly offline nhl'er to an online nhl'er.

# 79 TheBMarshall15 @ 08/21/12 03:43 PM
Wow, after playing one game its the sickness. I love how they implemented actual skating physics into the game. Your skaters actually do hockey stops and quick feet start to start skating again instead of last years magical stop and start. The turning physics are on point as well and the switch motion from skating forward to backward is sick. Best NHL game ever!!

# 80 tsp120 @ 08/21/12 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmBarVictim
I love watching the nhl demos get lots of praise and then slowly the complaints start right after release, always gives me a chuckle.
I always get a kick out of that too. The first couple of days are the honeymoon period where most of your attention is drawn to all of the improvements. Once you're used to those, all of the little things start to nag at you, and after you've seen the same thing happen 100 times you want to scream.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.