Home
NHL 13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

The above video showcases everything that is in the demo. Sliders, cameras, options, etc.

The NHL 13 demo is available now for the 360, later this afternoon for PS3. (We'll update this post when it is available.)

Queue it up right here, if you're not near a console. The NHL 13 demo weighs in at 1.33 GB.

The NHL 13 demo features four different modes. Play Now, NHL Moments Live, Hockey Ultimate Team and Free Skate.

In Play Now, you will control either the Los Angeles Kings or the New Jersey Devils in the 3rd period with a random score each time you play.

To learn more about the NHL 13 demo, click here and check out the latest blog.

Post your impressions here!

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 Qb @ 08/21/12 09:07 PM
Finally getting a chance to play a few. Seeing some positive things on hardcore settings, as well as some things that make me want to adjust sliders. Need to play a lot more to really have worthwhile impressions, but the skating alone puts it ahead of NHL12. Time will tell how much other areas have improved, although the overall feel on hardcore is encouraging.

# 122 Gagnon39 @ 08/21/12 09:11 PM
Been playing some more and as it stands I feel pretty confident that there's no doubt this game a) has made some major improvements but b) will also have to have some major slider adjustments for me to enjoy it.

I'll probably mess around with the free skate option quite a bit but as far as playing the Kings and Devils demo I'll probably stop playing it. The game is fun for sure but not very realistic at the default levels. The shot totals are what completely kill the realism for me. I've played enough games now to see that the CPU will generate easily 50-60 shots per game with the default settings and 10+ minute period.

I don't want to play 5 minute period games because its just not my style. The problem that EA has always faced was that they have to appeal to the hardcore hockey/gaming fans and bring in people that aren't familiar with the game at the same time. With that in mind I think the default settings are geared toward the latter. Its fun be reminiscent of the old arcade-type NHL games we saw in the early 2000's.

All that aside, I have total confidence that slider adjustments will make this game as authentic as we've seen. And as I've said multiple times, as well as other users on here, the pass reception slider will be huge.

I do wish however, that EA would tune the game to make the CPU just shoot less in general. It seems that they often take low percentage chances and throw everything they can on net. They also rarely miss the goal.

Lastly, one other concern that I have is that I've now played 15-20 games and the CPU is yet to take a penalty. Maybe its just coincidence but didn't EA say that this was no longer an issue?

All-in-all, I'm looking forward very much to the release of NHL 13. Unfortunately, I do have very high expectations for this years game, so hopefully I won't be disappointed.

# 123 Vikes1 @ 08/21/12 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39

I think there are a few key sliders, which have been mentioned before that can make all the difference.

1) Pass reception: If we can make it so that pucks bounce off blades at a more realistic rate, that should help reduce shot totals.
2) Pass accuracy: The more errant passes there are, the fewer shots there will be.
3) Puck control: The easier players lose control of the puck, which is already better on default than last year, the more loose pucks and less shots.
4) Game speed: I may end up lowering this a notch or two as the game is still pretty quick and there's just too much open ice. The last three games I played I had a lot of up-and-down action. Which is fun every once in a while but shouldn't be the norm.
Yep Gagnon...these are the sliders I used with '12' to hold down the SOG. Of course with '12' [and hopefully not with '13'] a few of these sliders had little effect. With '12'...the game speed slider seemed to get me mostly where I wanted to be for SOG. Pass accuracy helped some as well. But sadly only for the User.

I'm sure hopeful that all of the sliders you mentioned are alive and well for both Human/cpu with NHL '13'. I'd ideally like to use 12-14 minute periods and get at least close to realistic stats.

# 124 Steven547 @ 08/21/12 09:14 PM
My thoughts after playing the DEMO:

Goalie AI:
My biggest fear again for this year.
The goalie comes out WAY too much and almost had a delay of game, like the issue was last year.
With the goalie coming out, they've passed it again to the other team. I was hoping EA was going to fix this, and I have hopes they do address this in a tuner.
Too many "easy" shots getting my goalie.
So far, I'm not too happy with the goalie AI.

Skating:
Nice and fluid, but wish we had the ability to adjust the settings. Give us full control to enjoy this DEMO. It's hard to make decisions based on the little we have to work with.

Graphics:
Looks "cleaner" and better than last year.

Sound:
Maybe it was the games I played, but the crowd doesn't seem to excited. Sometimes I feel like I'm playing in a library.

Coach Mode: (CO on position lock)
LOVING THIS!

Purchase?
I will. I have hopes these issues will be addressed or that attributes can be fixed to compensate. That, and the fact this might be the only hockey we have this year!

# 125 rags0904 @ 08/21/12 09:36 PM
Awesome game, It really is physics you can feel.. there's a lot more unpredictability, and more strategy overall very excited.

# 126 Majingir @ 08/21/12 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
What is this new Custom AI feature?
Not sure, but from a preview I read on another site, I think it's just things like how each line will play and things like that. Each of the 30 teams is set up differently.

# 127 TheBrooklynBaller @ 08/21/12 09:41 PM
EA does two things very well... make great soccer games and great hockey games. This is a day one purchase every time.

# 128 mkharsh33 @ 08/21/12 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Naw not going to crucify you, if you can't see any improvements at all you prolly won't like the retail version anyway. If one sets themselves up hoping to be disappointed, they're probably going to be disappointed.
I'm flattered that you find a reason to respond to nearly EVERY post I put on here... It's like I help give you a purpose for living.

Now, can you just leave my every comment alone and understand that you and I will always see this game differently, and that EA must be giving you some kind of kickback for toting their product...

# 129 TheMatrix31 @ 08/21/12 10:24 PM
Dude. You guys pull this crap every year.

Stop it. C'mon.

# 130 Dispatch @ 08/21/12 10:25 PM
Quote:
I'll probably mess around with the free skate option quite a bit but as far as playing the Kings and Devils demo I'll probably stop playing it. The game is fun for sure but not very realistic at the default levels. The shot totals are what completely kill the realism for me. I've played enough games now to see that the CPU will generate easily 50-60 shots per game with the default settings and 10+ minute period.
Playing on All-Star with it set to Hardcore I've been limiting the CPU to about 5-7 shots per game. For me it seems to fit my style perfectly and it would work out great for a 10-12 minute periods.

# 131 blaziruku @ 08/21/12 10:47 PM
Quote:
Been playing some more and as it stands I feel pretty confident that there's no doubt this game a) has made some major improvements but b) will also have to have some major slider adjustments for me to enjoy it.

I don't want to play 5 minute period games because its just not my style. The problem that EA has always faced was that they have to appeal to the hardcore hockey/gaming fans and bring in people that aren't familiar with the game at the same time. With that in mind I think the default settings are geared toward the latter. Its fun be reminiscent of the old arcade-type NHL games we saw in the early 2000's.

All that aside, I have total confidence that slider adjustments will make this game as authentic as we've seen. And as I've said multiple times, as well as other users on here, the pass reception slider will be huge.

I do wish however, that EA would tune the game to make the CPU just shoot less in general. It seems that they often take low percentage chances and throw everything they can on net. They also rarely miss the goal.

Lastly, one other concern that I have is that I've now played 15-20 games and the CPU is yet to take a penalty. Maybe its just coincidence but didn't EA say that this was no longer an issue?

All-in-all, I'm looking forward very much to the release of NHL 13. Unfortunately, I do have very high expectations for this years game, so hopefully I won't be disappointed.
True, since the game by default should be set to 5 mins (any game higher would deter most players) When I usually play the game, 5 minute periods usually results in a full game taking anywhere from 20-30 minutes, which is a decent amount of time you need to dedicate into just one game, so the game can't really be faster like that, although if you get a lot of shooting going on you could reach a normal 20-30 shots on both side, which I've had in a few games (taking in you can only play the third period, I'd have one where the shots were around ~10 both sides, which is decent)

# 132 Majingir @ 08/21/12 10:51 PM
Goalies are way better this year than in years past. I can barely score 1 goal during the games(that start in 3rd period).

I looked at the sliders, and it looks like they're not default sliders.

AI Learning is max
Penalties(for rules) is not maxed
CPU penalties is only halfway on the sliders
Pass assist is max
Pass accuracy is midway for CPU, almost maxed for user
Pass reception ease is max for user, almost max for CPU
Shooting is all in the middle
Hitting assistance is about halfway
Hitting power is almost max
Goalie reaction speed is almost max

Basically what I'm trying to say, is that the sliders have been adjusted to really display the changes made to the game.

So once we get the full game, we can adjust sliders and make them how we're used to playing at, and game will be great.

And for people talking about penalties not being called, the penalty slider isn't even on max, and CPU penalties is only halfway, so ones those get maxed out, we should be seeing penalties happening like normal...hopefully

# 133 peter21 @ 08/21/12 11:02 PM
Downloaded the demo for the PS3 and put it through its paces with all the modes. I haven't seen the blurry factor a few other posters have mentioned.

Overall, I like it. The skating takes some getting used to, but I agree it's a welcome change. Fingers crossed that playing defense will actually be rewarded now. I liked the aggressive forecheck by the computer as well.

Team AI still leaves something to be desired, and my passing was way off, but that i'll attribute to getting used to the new game.

A few little things I noticed, the active sticks are a great thing. Kopitar got his stick on a rebound with a wide open net and his shot got deflected behind the net. Would have been a sure goal in '12. Also, the wide shots are a nice touch too.

In all, I'm still optimistic. It's not radically different from '12, but it's a definitely improvement. It plays a (for me) much more fun game of hockey.

# 134 RoyalBoyle78 @ 08/21/12 11:04 PM
I'm SOLD!!!! I love what I came away with loved it... Can't wait for the full game.. I'm in heaven right now... 360 demo

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

# 135 gopher_guy @ 08/21/12 11:16 PM
Some of you guys must be EXCELLENT passers (the ones who say pass accuracy needs to be lowered), because playing on hardcore, there are times when I can barely complete a damn pass, LOL.

The difficulty level of the goalies is kind of refreshing, I must say. They are very, very good. And I will probably slider them down so they're not as good. But I was playing LA against Phoenix, Mike Smith was making some brilliant saves one me, and I was peppering him pretty good for a while there. I scored the game winner late in 3OT, and I threw my hands up in the air and shouted "YES!"

Pretty rare for me to react that way to a video game, but it was very satisfying to score that game winner after so many close calls, haha.

# 136 Weapon X @ 08/21/12 11:21 PM
Quote:
Remember Gags, we can also nerf the CPU Shot Accuracy sliders to make them shoot wide more often to see if that remedies the problem of to many pucks on net.

WX

# 137 Splitter77 @ 08/21/12 11:26 PM
my impression of the demo is that it killed my original 60 gb fat ps3.
yup. got the ylod while it slowly tried to dl the demo.
Now i gotta figure out how to get mlb the show 12 out of the system .

# 138 gopher_guy @ 08/21/12 11:38 PM
Just did HUT in the demo. I got Stamkos and Byfuglien in my pack, the difference between those two on the ice is very striking.

Stamkos can FLY, one or two strides and he is seemingly at full speed. On the other hand, Byfuglien is the exact opposite, he is harder to control. Can't turn as well, and it takes more time to get to his top speed. He's strong on the puck, just not as good of a skater as Stamkos.

I love that you can tell the difference between players now.

edit: LOL, in my second HUT team game, there's like literally 8 people in the stands. Looks like an 8th grade girls hockey game crowd, except some of the parents forgot to show up.

# 139 Nomah5 @ 08/21/12 11:50 PM
I am enjoying this demo. I find myself playing the Moments live as I live in PHX so seeing jobing.com is fun. I played a 5 OT game today finally winning. Loved it. Some of the saves that the goalies make are epic. Well done EA.

# 140 mkharsh33 @ 08/21/12 11:52 PM
Just got called for a double minor (high sticking) and then got a stupid penalty to be down 5 on 3. Almost held the fort but gave up a goal with 3 seconds left on the PK.

Crowding the net this year works much better...seems like guys are more willing to fight, and even heard the commentators note it.

A small presentation thing, but liked seeing some of the flash bulbs where people are taking pictures.

Got robbed by Quick who made a crazy save where he was moving to his right, I shot glove side high left and he snagged it out of mid-air. Pretty cool.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.