Home
NHL 13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

The above video showcases everything that is in the demo. Sliders, cameras, options, etc.

The NHL 13 demo is available now for the 360, later this afternoon for PS3. (We'll update this post when it is available.)

Queue it up right here, if you're not near a console. The NHL 13 demo weighs in at 1.33 GB.

The NHL 13 demo features four different modes. Play Now, NHL Moments Live, Hockey Ultimate Team and Free Skate.

In Play Now, you will control either the Los Angeles Kings or the New Jersey Devils in the 3rd period with a random score each time you play.

To learn more about the NHL 13 demo, click here and check out the latest blog.

Post your impressions here!

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 kerosene31 @ 08/22/12 09:29 AM
I am loving the new puck physics.

Puck battles feel natural now and not scripted. On one play I made a terrible pass from the side of my net to a forward in the neutral zone. There's a player on the other team right there to grab it and come in. My forward turns around and manages to get a stick on the puck and it bounces just over the line.

# 162 RoyalBoyle78 @ 08/22/12 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
my impression of the demo is that it killed my original 60 gb fat ps3.
yup. got the ylod while it slowly tried to dl the demo.
Now i gotta figure out how to get mlb the show 12 out of the system .
I have a Fat 80gb with a 128gb SSD installed and I had no issue..was even surprised how fast it installed.

# 163 Fiddy @ 08/22/12 10:13 AM
let me say, you know me and the same old same reviews etc from the past.

i came into this NHL 13 stuff with an open mind bc of the info they released on the game and what not. my mindset was that of, it cant be worse, right?

and i was right. it couldn't be!!

just in general, very impressed.

the AI being a lot better than all the years past combined. cpu playing hockey for the most part and not just skating all over the place starting and stopping. all levels look like they can be fun with the right set of sliders.

the strategies being overhauled and looking good. we can now get teams to play different, awesome!!

the skating is better, the heavy feel and not being able to cut on a dime is great. the transitions from skating forward to backwards are solid and were much needed.

not a fan of the push the puck burst being gone, puck is to glued to the players stick once they get it.

line changes seem to work better..

the goalies movement in general, solid. still some issues but better than in the past.

pass reception actually meaning something now on the hardcore level. finally some bobbled passes. still could use more, but at least its back some what. slider adjustment help this? hope so.

board play seemed to have gotten better.

players look better, dont know how, maybe less bulky or something?

true broadcast camera, glad they added this for everyone that has been calling for it. IMO, needs to be zoomed out a few notches. but solid first effort.

scoring, seem some better variety in the demo. maybe bc of the goalies new limb movement?

but in general scoring wise, same old same here. same breakaway dekes work, same top shelf wrist shots work. i know slider adjustments etc will make some things a bit tougher on d, but still very concerning to me. makes online HUT and versus worthless if same old same works. in a league, with rules, this obviously not an issue. guys miss up their scoring attempts etc.

with the above said on scoring, looks like another year of auto shoot for me vs the cpu. that way i get more variety in scoring. plus, will be fun to actually play the cpu now in a season mode or gm connected bc of the ai overhauled and strats making each team play different.

all in all this be a fun year, looking forward to it after the same old same the past 3 years or so.

kudos to the EA Dev Team..

# 164 Money99 @ 08/22/12 10:24 AM
Good stuff Fiddy!

Regarding the same dekes, top-shelf goals, etc, I really don't have a big problem with that as long as getting into those spots to score those goals is earned.
(But I'm an offline gamer so I don't know how that will be with online guys).

In past games, I would have to rely on some of those 'cheese' goals just to keep things even. With the CPU always appearing to be faster and more talented than my team, I had little choice.
But in the games I played last night, I could actually use my stars to get into prime scoring chances.
I actually jumped out of my chair with the goal I scored with Sykora. It felt organic and earned. I didn't have to worry about a flat-footed, slow dman, turning around and catching me in 1.5 strides.
I'm not sure I could have said the same thing about NHL12.

# 165 jake19ny @ 08/22/12 10:32 AM
Well I finally was able to play it last night....granted I worked 12 hrs and stopped for a few beers on the way home, but man I was terrible. The new skating is going to take some getting used to. I think overall its much improved and Im looking forward to getting my hands on the full game. My only beef is in the 3 play now games I squeezed in I only saw one penalty called total.....I hope to God we dont have a repeat of last years penalty issues. I also felt board play was virtually eliminated. There was not much in NHL12 to begin with, but the CPU didnt pin me to the boards once and whenever I pinned the CPU to the boards they just brushed me off in mere seconds. I guess the bottom line is if the sliders actually work this year the game will be awesome if they dont, all us happy demo players will be pitching a fit by Halloween

and Realm and Harsh, you both seem like really good guys and you both often make good points so you should just agree to disagree and keep posting away without the battle....

# 166 Section_25 @ 08/22/12 10:41 AM
I like what I see so far in the demo.

Skating seems way more realistic this year and the puck physics seem to be better also.

If the sliders work better than last year we are in for some seriously great games for months to come.

I noticed some of the goalie animations looked a little odd, but that may have been polished up in the retail.

I'm getting this PS3 blurry ordeal also, but I'm thinking it might just be a demo thing.

Only question now is where to pre-order.

Newegg has a promo for the next couple of days to get it for around $45 so that's prob what I will do.

Yep, you got my money again EA !!! lol

# 167 kerosene31 @ 08/22/12 10:46 AM
The thing about board play is you don't have to do it anymore. You can use the poke check instead as it actually works without having to time it to the perfect millisecond like in past games. Board pinning is still useful, but you don't have to do it every time to have a shot at a puck.

# 168 infinityBCRT @ 08/22/12 10:57 AM
I also miss the push puck button (and not the NHL 11/12 push puck but the push puck they had in the first year they did it... 09? or 10?) and don't like the way the puck is glued to the players stick when you are going flat out with the puck.

# 169 sweetjones @ 08/22/12 11:00 AM
Im reallly loving this demo dispite Manual Passing being on, because my passes are everywhere other than where Im aiming. The skating is the best I've ever seen in any game. The transitions are smooth and flawless. The new TBC is beautifully done. I love how the angle varies on faceoffs. Besides Manual Passing, the only other gripes I have about the demo is I wish the 3rd period was longer so I could play around with the new strategies. Also, I wish you could add more teammates to the free skate mode. Ohhh well! I'll just have to wait for the retail version which I will pre-order today.

# 170 Blue&Gold @ 08/22/12 11:13 AM
Not sure if this was said but I noticed in the NHL Live game mode that the phoenix crowd was all wearing white unlike past years where the home teams crowd would only be wearing their teams home jerseys in the playoffs. So that is pretty awesome considering Phoenix does the white out during the playoffs... Not as good as Winnipeg but thats besides the point... Pumped for this game

# 171 Mikeglongo @ 08/22/12 11:13 AM
Honestly, after playing for hours last night - I have to say this demo was a lot more fun than the Madden 13 demo.

I think EA has been damn successful with the NHL games, even more than the Madden ones.

The physics engine is beautiful, much more fluid and realistic than 11 and 12.
The skating is wonderful and much different - you can feel the difference.

The manual passing didn't bother me that much because I think that is more realistic than automatic and you have to do more work which is why we have gaming in the 1st place.

The thing that I loved the most was the AI. I think it's much smarter and the players actually breakout when you have the puck rather than sticking together.

All in all, I wasn't going to get this game if there is a lockout, and I was 50/50 if there isn't a lockout.

After playing this demo though, I'm 100% getting this because I feel like it improved a lot, and seems more fun than Madden 13

# 172 Majingir @ 08/22/12 11:14 AM
lol, the HUT arena looks like a Phoenix Coyotes game.

# 173 BlueNGold @ 08/22/12 11:15 AM
If this demo is any indication, I'm worried for my left thumb.

This is just such an insane jump from one year to the next. The amount of upgrades and improvements you see from the moment you jump into the demo is amazing. The graphics, the lighting, the player faces, the skating, the goalies, the presentation, the AI, etc, etc.

The full game can't get here soon enough. That EA Sports Season Ticket purchase is looking pretty good on my end now. I'm jonesing to play with the Jets on this game.

# 174 TerryP @ 08/22/12 11:15 AM
I love the new skating and I've actually been able to score a couple times on good opportunities. Where in the past versions, the goalie would always seem to make an impossible save.

# 175 ComaFaction @ 08/22/12 11:37 AM
A few more impressions:

I 95% sure I skated into a opposing defenseman who had the puck with Malkin (without using the right stick to check him) and the two players did collide. Seems like they are getting closer to true physics-based contact if that's the case.

Goals and goaltending definitely feel less scripted. I've scored some soft-wristers, snuck a couple through the wickets from in close and saw a variety of action off the posts (usually with a great replay at the next stoppage).

I really dislike that the players don't convene in a group hug after you score. In fact, they often just float around, bouncing off each other.

Getting better at using the RB to swat at/chip loose pucks and it is definitely useful along the boards, particularly in the defensive and neutral zones.

Still think the AI shoots WAY too much from the point. On the PP, I'd like to see more working the puck around. Maybe it's my defense, but they never pass up a point shot, regardless of the path to the net.

Does not appear that you can knock over goalies anymore. Odd decision by the devs.

Tried out the 1-4 trap and it works really well, however the dump and chase can be effective vs. it. I love that both myself and the computer can both generate lots of scoring off our forecheck and forcing turnovers. That's wonderful to see.

# 176 Gagnon39 @ 08/22/12 11:40 AM
After a few more games I honestly like the way the game plays better on the All-Star setting. I have played every NHL game since NHL 08 on Superstar and I may eventually do the same thing on NHL 13. But I just feel like the game is a little slower, in a good way, on All-Star. On Superstar there's just too much happening all the time.

However, on any level I find that it is simply too easy to get the puck on net. The game should make you have to work hard at getting shots on goal. There are times where the CPU easily registers 5-7 shots in a matter of 15 seconds. That very, very rarely happens in the NHL.

I've already said it a thousand times, but hopefully slider adjustments will make it so that shots don't come so easy.

# 177 ComaFaction @ 08/22/12 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
However, on any level I find that it is simply too easy to get the puck on net. The game should make you have to work hard at getting shots on goal. There are times where the CPU easily registers 5-7 shots in a matter of 15 seconds. That very, very rarely happens in the NHL.

I've already said it a thousand times, but hopefully slider adjustments will make it so that shots don't come so easy.
I agree with you. However, one thing I have noticed is that you can block a LOT more shots now. Simply standing in the path of a point shot will often block it (even without resorting to a "block shot" command).

Similarly, it is AWESOME to see more active sticks on defense. I love playing the passing lane against my oppositions breakout and having my player get his stick in the way and altering the path of the puck (and yet, not magically receiving it!)

# 178 Cletus @ 08/22/12 12:17 PM
I really like the chop and the fact that forehand backhand dekeing is slowed a little. I haven't gone forehand,backhand, shoot in one motion like i did in 12. I still get off a decent shot and it throws the goalie off a bit but it's not a 90 mph wrister like in years past. Anyone else noticed it or have my stick skills gotten a lot worse?

# 179 Joborule @ 08/22/12 12:18 PM
Here's my initial impression playing around for a bit last night on the All-Star default settings.

Pros:

- Fan of the skating. Actually looks like skaters out there and they are in fact, skating on ice. Love the momentum is a factor now. It really does make a big change in the feel of the game.
- I like the player faces in this game. Graphics in general looks better and sharper. Good step forward this year.
- I'm a fan that one timers aren't such a breeze to pull of now. Replicates that timing and positioning is actually important when attempting to do it in real life.
- Loving the broadcast element feel to the presentation this year, especially with the real time off play actions. This is how it should be done. Glad the foundation is there, now just need to build on it for the future.
- The puck seems looser, which is good. Very good.
- Haven't been able to make a true initial impression yet, but I like what I saw in regards to goaltender animations. Been advocating for limb separation for a while, so really glad it's finally here.
- Soundtrack. I like the tunes we've been able to hear thus far. Really fits the hockey atmosphere. If the full soundtrack keeps up in the demo's quality this could be the best one in the entire NHL series. I personally was a big fan of 2004 soundtrack.

Cons:

- For how much the A.I. was hyped up this season, I'm disappointed that it still appears fairly weak when it comes to playing defense. I can still skate into the slot or take on a defender 1-on-1 on the rush and not feel much harassment. This shouldn't be the case on a moderate skill level like All-Star. I can only imagine it'll be fairly the same on Superstar. That's a big issue since I don't have to really work to get quality shots and thus allows the game to favour the offensive side too much. The defense needs to have a lot more aggressiveness and panic when I try to skate into the slot or are taking them 1-on-1 up centre ice. It seems the problem is the defense thinks too much with their body and not enough with their sticks. Use the poke check guys!
- Open ice hitting. Quite frankly, it looks fairly ridiculous. It's as if there's not much weight to the hitting engine since players react very violently to hits that didn't seem to have much force. Plus many of the open ice hits I saw look 'off' since the checker and the player checked seemed fairly disconnected. Meaning the player who made the check doesn't really physically blend with the player that's getting checked. I think the engine could use improvement in that regard for open ice hits, because the collisions around the boards look much, much better.

Really like the new skating engine, but kinda bummed how the defensive A.I. is far to passive defensively still though.

# 180 Flamesfan102 @ 08/22/12 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
If you click the right stick on the pregame edit lines screen, it will bring up your strategies. You can play with all the new settings, including the bias settings for individual lines. It reminds me of the setup in old 2k games, which is exactly what I used as an example when discussing the topic with them when I was there. Unfortunately we can't save them in the demo, even from one HUT game to the next. But that won't be an issue with the full game.

If you change the game style the sliders will change. It sounds like you were looking at default; normal puts almost every slider in the middle, while hardcore moves a few by a click or two and puts pass assist to zero (by far the biggest difference).

I've been playing on side-scrolling cameras with relative controls for years and I'm still having trouble with it on true broadcast. It also has some "blindspots" when moving the puck up ice, just as a real broadcast does. But it looks so damn good I want to stick with it.
The best controller layout setting to use when playing True Broadcast Camera is 'Always Up'. It's the most effective, didn't know if you heard that from the livestream or not.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.