Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Check out the latest NBA 2K13 trailer, showing off the All-Star add-on content.

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 AirJordanFan93 @ 08/28/12 01:36 PM
2K just announced Pippen for the dream team so we might get other Bulls teams besides 86 thankfully.

# 102 Rasco11 @ 08/28/12 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirJordanFan93
2K just announced Pippen for the dream team so we might get other Bulls teams besides 86 thankfully.
Or, 1999 Portland Trailblazers. Fingers crossed

# 103 AirJordanFan93 @ 08/28/12 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasco11
Or, 1999 Portland Trailblazers. Fingers crossed
2000 Blazers wouldnt be bad but they would need the 00 Lakers as well

# 104 DBMcGee3 @ 08/28/12 02:42 PM
Not like this is a big deal but it'll definitely be fun to have all the All-Star stuff to play when it's actually All-Star weekend this year. I really, really like what I'm seeing and hearing from 2k so far. Seems like this summer has just flown by, can't believe the game drops in a month.

# 105 Phreezy P @ 08/28/12 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorfan Frank
I thought these were new generics, but I might be wrong:

Same from last year.

# 106 The Kid 24 @ 08/28/12 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by X*Cell
3) Still missing the Skills Challenge
Why did this get left out? They have all of the other events why not this one?

That would have been awesome as **** to do!

# 107 Gatorfan Frank @ 08/28/12 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by airaron32
Same from last year.
Yeah, you're right. They just don't have the different colored heel and toe accents. The generic shoes don't look terrible when they're all white or black like that, but the multi-colored ones just look bad. It's a shame 2K hasn't changed them yet.

# 108 Sundown @ 08/28/12 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
because music and a guitars have nothing to do with this mode.
Maybe this is another Jay-Z/2K fusion thing. Kidding. Mostly.

# 109 Subversion @ 08/28/12 04:12 PM
Absolutely hate the rock band control gimmick for dunking. Takes away control and emotion from the whole equation. Horrible design decision. I'll be skipping this mode.

# 110 Thunder Storm @ 08/28/12 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeness23
I like everything I saw in this. I kind of like the guitar hero thing for the Dunk Contest instead of a bunch of complicated controls, but that's me.

One thing I do hope is that the venue changes every year (may be a stretch) but it'd get kind of old for it to be in Houston EVERY SINGLE YEAR in Association...
They should just let you choose the venue at the beginning of each season. problem solved.

so easy.

# 111 Jumpman232 @ 08/28/12 06:08 PM
meh, not impressed.

# 112 Sundown @ 08/28/12 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Storm
They should just let you choose the venue at the beginning of each season. problem solved.

so easy.
Speaking of which, they should also let you pick the starting year.

# 113 KyotoCarl @ 08/28/12 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subversion
Absolutely hate the rock band control gimmick for dunking. Takes away control and emotion from the whole equation. Horrible design decision. I'll be skipping this mode.
I found the dunk controls in Blacktop mode before to be really hard to master and didn't feel natural at all so I'm looking forward to trying this control scheme.

The control scheme Live used in years back was alright, as I remember it, but still took a while to learn. It's good if you can just jump into this and be able to pull of a few dunks in the beginning.

I don't think we should judge it too quickly based on a couple of quick short clips.

# 114 VDusen04 @ 08/28/12 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
First the old dunk contest was a mode that most people did not play or enjoy, so give them credit for at least trying something new, and making it something the whole family can play, it may not be for everyone because some seem to be obsessed with the controls being similar to guitar hero, but like you said the old mode was nothing but button mashing and hope that you pull something off, most of the time is was completely unrealistic.
We'll have to agree to disagree with this one. The reason I began tailing off with my 2K dunk contest participation is because it was a fantasy world. As a dunk enthusiast, and as much as I enjoyed playing that mode, there were characteristics that became too tough to overlook. Namely, the outdoor setting. I feel like there were even burning trash cans out there at some point. Further, players sat on thrones, Bobbito Garcia was trotting around yelling into a mic ad nauseum and players had the opportunity to jump over barrels like we were playing the skate jumping event on World Championships for the NES. It was very un-NBA, and in turn that was unappealing to me.

Furthermore, what eventually killed the dunk contest for me altogether in previous 2K's (and I'm venturing to believe I'm not alone) was the lack of customization. At one point I believe it was required that every 2K contest feature four dunkers and four rounds. One of my favorite things about the NBA Live Dunk Contest (aside from the controls) was the fact I could take two dunkers, throw some retro jerseys on them, then have a quick one round (three dunks) contest and be done. 2K's dunk contests held gamers hostage. They had to choose to either control all four dunkers or sit and watching three computer players slowly finish their turns. Then, when 2K decided to switch it up, they went to the complete other side of the spectrum, implementing a one minute, split-screen, one round dunk off in 2K11 that at that point, truly did seem to throw all sense of dunk planning and preparation out the window.

On the flip side, I'm not sure I'm big on playing the "something the whole family can enjoy" card. I'd be curious to see exactly how often things come down to a situation where there's someone who owns NBA 2K, and they have someone with them (a mom, a dad, a friend) who sucks at video games, but really has a yearning to suddenly enter button commands that have no set control over what's happening on screen during an NBA video game dunk contest.

I suppose I just don't understand why the dunk contest was selected as the mode that had to be dumbed down to appeal to the masses we're not entirely sure exist in the first place. I feel the 3pt. Contest would be the perfect mode to appeal to those without much video game sense who have a yearning to play anyhow. The 3pt. contest itself can't be much more than pressing a button to pick up a ball, then pressing another button to fire (accounting for the proper release point), right?. Best of all, the button inputs for the 3pt. contest will likely all tie-in directly to what occurs on screen. Unless of course, 2K also implemented Guitar Controls for that mode as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoCarl
I found the dunk controls in Blacktop mode before to be really hard to master and didn't feel natural at all so I'm looking forward to trying this control scheme.

The control scheme Live used in years back was alright, as I remember it, but still took a while to learn. It's good if you can just jump into this and be able to pull of a few dunks in the beginning.

I don't think we should judge it too quickly based on a couple of quick short clips.
If the 2K controls were interpreted as being too difficult, I feel the Live scheme (or something similar) would have been the way to go for 2K13. Dunk Contests are supposed to be fun, but control and a sense of achievement is fun too, so a slight learning curve is not the worst thing in the world. If I recall correctly, it didn't take too much effort or knowledge in Live to throw down some routine dunks. I know my then 9 and 7 year old brothers certainly had no difficulty picking up the system.

Basically, I think there were likely a lot of other manageable control options out there that would have created an approachable mode while not forfeiting all sense of control.

# 115 actuallybrown @ 08/29/12 04:41 AM
I think we need to sit back and wait for more details on the actual Guitar Hero-esque controls for the dunks. If you watch the video, it seems that they only came up a couple of times, but every dunk doesn't have that interface on takeoff...obviously some of those dunks were CPU-controlled, but let's think about what they might have done:
  1. All dunks are Guitar Hero-esque, and only the replays are the ones that we saw that don't include the button input screen
  2. Only some of the tougher, more acrobatic dunks are queued up with these button presses, while easier dunks may very well have a Live scheme
  3. Classic-era dunkers (Dr J., Spud Webb) have a classic 2K dunk contest scheme or a Live scheme, and the newer (think JaVale or Vince) dunk packages have the GH scheme...

Just thoughts...let's not jump to conclusions though just because of the videos.

# 116 Joobieo @ 08/29/12 12:17 PM
Spud web in the house !

# 117 deetoman @ 08/29/12 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by actuallybrown
I think we need to sit back and wait for more details on the actual Guitar Hero-esque controls for the dunks. If you watch the video, it seems that they only came up a couple of times, but every dunk doesn't have that interface on takeoff...obviously some of those dunks were CPU-controlled, but let's think about what they might have done:
  1. All dunks are Guitar Hero-esque, and only the replays are the ones that we saw that don't include the button input screen
  2. Only some of the tougher, more acrobatic dunks are queued up with these button presses, while easier dunks may very well have a Live scheme
  3. Classic-era dunkers (Dr J., Spud Webb) have a classic 2K dunk contest scheme or a Live scheme, and the newer (think JaVale or Vince) dunk packages have the GH scheme...

Just thoughts...let's not jump to conclusions though just because of the videos.

No....... Let's just go with they didn't do that.....that's all to complicated and I'm see it's all GH

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.