Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

If you can't view the embedded video, click here to view it on DmanUnt's Youtube channel.

Check out the new NBA 2K13 video featuring Producer, Zach Timmerman, as he discusses Signature Skills.

Big thanks to @DmanUnt2014!

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 stillfeelme @ 09/02/12 11:14 PM
That dunk was sick by Durant 1 on 3 break he said screw it yam on them all. The block by Davis was great as well you actually can feel the speed of the swat. He sent it flying off the board big blocks are back baby!

# 22 Subversion @ 09/02/12 11:28 PM
Fantastic creative design idea. This should encourage all developers to think about ways to improve the NBA SIM like 2K13 is doing. With signature skills, it's a natural evolution into creating a 1:1 replica of an NBA player with his game counter-part.

We should make a list of similar features for them to implement into future titles. Great job 2K!!!

# 23 Eman5805 @ 09/02/12 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
That dunk was sick by Durant 1 on 3 break he said screw it yam on them all. The block by Davis was great as well you actually can feel the speed of the swat. He sent it flying off the board big blocks are back baby!
He Threw it On the Ground and made me...another Lonely Island song.

Wasn't right out of Diaw's hand either. The ball didn't just kinda lose all momentum and float to the ground. It got pasted and ricocheted off the boards.

Me likey. Me likey aloty.

# 24 whoahello @ 09/02/12 11:45 PM
Ronnie and what's her face should hook up

# 25 kolanji @ 09/03/12 01:16 AM
2k13 + Sig skills =

# 26 Khaos_Kiwi @ 09/03/12 03:12 AM
That Sacha chick is hot......the sig skills are quite nice too.

# 27 Nokstar @ 09/03/12 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Sounds like sig skills are more about bringing out players intangibles then giving players superhuman abilities like some think....

Not worried at all...
Exactly

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S3

# 28 willh313 @ 09/03/12 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman5805
My one "concern" with Eraser is though Anthony Davis deserves it, one of Davis' traits in college was blocking shots so they stayed in bounds so his team could get it and get instant fast break points. Davis would only send a block out of bounds if he was doing it near a sideline and had no where else to send it.
Yea that's probably a trait they will add next year. Good call though.

# 29 richmo @ 09/03/12 01:19 PM
Yeah, would be a good idea to have a "Highlight" blocker and a "Fundamental" blocker. Who knows, maybe the fundamental blocker is already in 2k13? Just the big man with a high block rating but no specific block sig. skill? Think about it.

# 30 HisMommaCallHimClay @ 09/03/12 01:31 PM
Why not just adjust their attributes accordingly?

# 31 Eman5805 @ 09/03/12 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisMommaCallHimClay
Why not just adjust their attributes accordingly?
Because then you wouldn't have the team altering affects. And a chase down blocker couldn't just have his block boosted into the 80s cuz then you'd have LeBron blocking shots all over the place when he doesn't really do that.

# 32 HisMommaCallHimClay @ 09/03/12 01:49 PM
Quote:
Because then you wouldn't have the team altering affects. And a chase down blocker couldn't just have his block boosted into the 80s cuz then you'd have LeBron blocking shots all over the place when he doesn't really do that.
Set LeBrons chase down blocks high and tone down regular blocks. Seems like a waste of time to me.

Why does the obvious need to be stated. We know Durant is ice water I don't need an icon to tell me that.

And for that matter why only 5 icons/player. I'm sure there are some players who could easily have more. And I doubt just cuz they ran out of icons, that players trait will not be absent in the game. It will be there just with out an icon.

Do you see my point?

It's like saying they have equipped Kobe Bryant with a fade away attribute. Heres the icon for it.
That's not needed, just make it so when he does it, it's usually more successful that others.

# 33 Eman5805 @ 09/03/12 03:40 PM
Quote:
Set LeBrons chase down blocks high and tone down regular blocks. Seems like a waste of time to me.

Why does the obvious need to be stated. We know Durant is ice water I don't need an icon to tell me that.

And for that matter why only 5 icons/player. I'm sure there are some players who could easily have more. And I doubt just cuz they ran out of icons, that players trait will not be absent in the game. It will be there just with out an icon.

Do you see my point?

It's like saying they have equipped Kobe Bryant with a fade away attribute. Heres the icon for it.
That's not needed, just make it so when he does it, it's usually more successful that others.
Your point falls flat, I'm afraid. Fadeaways aren't specific skills. It's all under the header of jump shooting. To use your example in another area, there's no sig skill for behind the back dribbles. It's all under Ankle Breaker. But Kobe hitting a fadeaway, which he DOES have the tendency to shoot a lot of, plus having the skill Shot Creator will do what you're talking about. But a sig skill just for fadeaways is trivializing things to the point where it gets silly.

It's the less tangible things that these sig skills seem to be more geared towards. The things that exist between attributes and that have a certain influence on other players.

And also you've created a situation where players who never get chase down blocks suddenly DO get chase down blocks because you just invented a whole new attribute that every player will now have. Not to mention you'd have to give the attributes arbitrary values, will LeBron get an 94 or a 98 chase down block? Solves one problem by creating two new ones. And it's easy to go "Just give him dadada", but it's something the developers have to do. And they'd have to finely tune the game to distinguish a 60 chase down block attribute from a 90, otherwise what's the point?

Not cost effective usage of time when you've got one year to put a new game out.

# 34 stillfeelme @ 09/03/12 06:28 PM
Quote:
He Threw it On the Ground and made me...another Lonely Island song.

Wasn't right out of Diaw's hand either. The ball didn't just kinda lose all momentum and float to the ground. It got pasted and ricocheted off the boards.

Me likey. Me likey aloty.
I have seen zero blocks like what that in 2K12. The blocks have physics now, none of that floaty hit the ground

# 35 HisMommaCallHimClay @ 09/03/12 09:48 PM
Quote:
Your point falls flat, I'm afraid. Fadeaways aren't specific skills. It's all under the header of jump shooting. To use your example in another area, there's no sig skill for behind the back dribbles. It's all under Ankle Breaker. But Kobe hitting a fadeaway, which he DOES have the tendency to shoot a lot of, plus having the skill Shot Creator will do what you're talking about. But a sig skill just for fadeaways is trivializing things to the point where it gets silly.

It's the less tangible things that these sig skills seem to be more geared towards. The things that exist between attributes and that have a certain influence on other players.

And also you've created a situation where players who never get chase down blocks suddenly DO get chase down blocks because you just invented a whole new attribute that every player will now have. Not to mention you'd have to give the attributes arbitrary values, will LeBron get an 94 or a 98 chase down block? Solves one problem by creating two new ones. And it's easy to go "Just give him dadada", but it's something the developers have to do. And they'd have to finely tune the game to distinguish a 60 chase down block attribute from a 90, otherwise what's the point?

Not cost effective usage of time when you've got one year to put a new game out.
Its not specific because 2k didn't make it specific. There are dunk skills though. Which could all fall under dunks right but that wasn't their focus and thats cool, I'm just saying....

I see your point to a degree. I could of used a better example. But you don't see mine. The game would thrive none the less if you never heard about the sig skills and they only used them to develop the game but never incorporated it to something you could see. These sigs, to a degree have always been in the game, (see players doing unstoppable things, now are sigs to a smaller degree )

You are wrong on the chase down blocks part to me. Having a 0 tendency for chase down blocks makes lots of sense or fast break pursuit attribute . You make it seem as if every attribute and scale is 100% explained in 2k12, if so please link me.*

I'm sort of a lurker as of lately around here, so you may be able to explain away any errors or flaws this system may have and I would be none the wiser.

But asking how would you tell a 94 block attribute from a 98 sounds like your.....idk stanning 2k. Explain speed to me in 2k12 when slow bigs keep up with a fast pg. With greater attribute points more than 4. Tell me how they did on fine tuning that?

I'm not saying its stupid to attach these sigs to players just that it should go without saying, you know. Why limit it to five when there are players who would clearly have more.

Once again, will those sigs that don't make it in a players five be totally absent in that players "game". *I doubt it. If said player has 5 offensive sig skills but is good at steals, will he be punished cuz he doesn't have the sig? Proly not.they'll just make up for it with him being good at steals but not having the aforementioned sig skill.

Unless you work for 2k please save that cost affective stuff and how long this or that takes for the birds. Cuz if I was to ask about stuff that could have been done that would take less than hour you'll have an excuse for that, like it doesn't matter.

# 36 Eman5805 @ 09/04/12 12:31 AM
Quote:
Its not specific because 2k didn't make it specific. There are dunk skills though. Which could all fall under dunks right but that wasn't their focus and thats cool, I'm just saying....

I see your point to a degree. I could of used a better example. But you don't see mine. The game would thrive none the less if you never heard about the sig skills and they only used them to develop the game but never incorporated it to something you could see. These sigs, to a degree have always been in the game, (see players doing unstoppable things, now are sigs to a smaller degree )
I mean, yeah. It is basketball. They can only do more to replicate the real thing vs the virtual one. So none of these things are new. But, seems more like it's about giving players certain abilities that attributes by themselves just can't quite capture.

Quote:
You are wrong on the chase down blocks part to me. Having a 0 tendency for chase down blocks makes lots of sense or fast break pursuit attribute . You make it seem as if every attribute and scale is 100% explained in 2k12, if so please link me.*
Like here. Can't think of any attributes are situation triggered on the fly that isn't basic basketball actions. I mean chase downs can only happen on a fast break. And if LeBron is in the situation to go for it, he will always go for a chase down. It's not something you can do off a tendency alone, I don't figure.

Quote:
I'm sort of a lurker as of lately around here, so you may be able to explain away any errors or flaws this system may have and I would be none the wiser.

But asking how would you tell a 94 block attribute from a 98 sounds like your.....idk stanning 2k. Explain speed to me in 2k12 when slow bigs keep up with a fast pg. With greater attribute points more than 4. Tell me how they did on fine tuning that?
Point of agreement. And it's why they made a point to acknowledge bigs keeping up with fast players. It's what I meant by fine tuning the game so these sort of distinguishing factors are more clear. Not sure what you were going for when you stand stanning, typo maybe. But eh.

I feel where they're going. It's like a rating like pass. I mean, a lot of bigs are great passers, but should their passing be 80? So they don't throw innacurate passes out of the post? But now they're averaging a bunch of assists because the game calculates assists based on a player's passing rating. Do they add a Pass From Post attribute? I bet that idea got kicked around, but can't say I don't mind a special...perk ala a certain first person shooter to the mix.

Quote:
I'm not saying its stupid to attach these sigs to players just that it should go without saying, you know. Why limit it to five when there are players who would clearly have more.

Once again, will those sigs that don't make it in a players five be totally absent in that players "game". *I doubt it. If said player has 5 offensive sig skills but is good at steals, will he be punished cuz he doesn't have the sig? Proly not.they'll just make up for it with him being good at steals but not having the aforementioned sig skill.
Here's where I'm indifferent. Just 5 more than 5. Not really worrying about that. Just 5 max might be enough. No telling until we all get the game in our hands and see how those players you feel deserve more actually handle.

Quote:
Unless you work for 2k please save that cost affective stuff and how long this or that takes for the birds. Cuz if I was to ask about stuff that could have been done that would take less than hour you'll have an excuse for that, like it doesn't matter.
I'll admit I'm throwing notions around for the sake of argument. I have no idea what specifically is cost effective or not.

But I don't need to work for 2K to know how a production works. TV, movies, music, theater, video games, the details can and will vary but the basics are pretty consistent. They're all doing the same things when you get right down to it.

Especially when you're on a super tight release schedule. Being cost effective matters.

I guarantee you there's at least one person on 2K staff that worries about things like that. Hell, I bet they're the neurotic type that gets flustered about everything and the laid back super creative people always make fun of them, but they know damn well they wouldn't get a game shipped on time without them.

# 37 Nokstar @ 09/04/12 05:55 AM
I can't believe how much debating is going on about what they should do with this system and all the so called "problems" with SIG style when none of you guys even played it yet...unbelievable. a lot of this can very well be null and void when we all get a chance to play the full game...quit wasting your time and reserve a lot of these knocks for after you actually play the game...Jesus Christ lol

# 38 HisMommaCallHimClay @ 09/04/12 08:41 AM
Quote:
I mean, yeah. It is basketball. They can only do more to replicate the real thing vs the virtual one. So none of these things are new. But, seems more like it's about giving players certain abilities that attributes by themselves just can't quite capture.

Like here. Can't think of any attributes are situation triggered on the fly that isn't basic basketball actions. I mean chase downs can only happen on a fast break. And if LeBron is in the situation to go for it, he will always go for a chase down. It's not something you can do off a tendency alone, I don't figure.

Point of agreement. And it's why they made a point to acknowledge bigs keeping up with fast players. It's what I meant by fine tuning the game so these sort of distinguishing factors are more clear. Not sure what you were going for when you stand stanning, typo maybe. But eh.

I feel where they're going. It's like a rating like pass. I mean, a lot of bigs are great passers, but should their passing be 80? So they don't throw innacurate passes out of the post? But now they're averaging a bunch of assists because the game calculates assists based on a player's passing rating. Do they add a Pass From Post attribute? I bet that idea got kicked around, but can't say I don't mind a special...perk ala a certain first person shooter to the mix.

Here's where I'm indifferent. Just 5 more than 5. Not really worrying about that. Just 5 max might be enough. No telling until we all get the game in our hands and see how those players you feel deserve more actually handle.

I'll admit I'm throwing notions around for the sake of argument. I have no idea what specifically is cost effective or not.

But I don't need to work for 2K to know how a production works. TV, movies, music, theater, video games, the details can and will vary but the basics are pretty consistent. They're all doing the same things when you get right down to it.

Especially when you're on a super tight release schedule. Being cost effective matters.

I guarantee you there's at least one person on 2K staff that worries about things like that. Hell, I bet they're the neurotic type that gets flustered about everything and the laid back super creative people always make fun of them, but they know damn well they wouldn't get a game shipped on time without them.
First off I commend you for your response. After I wrote that I thought damn that's long. I really respect the fact you took time to actually address every point. :daps:

I guess all we can do is hope for the best. I'm looking forward to a great game tbh.

Oh yeah a "Stan" is someone that has a blind faith for someone/thing. From that eminem song I can't remember the album though.

# 39 HisMommaCallHimClay @ 09/04/12 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokstar
I can't believe how much debating is going on about what they should do with this system and all the so called "problems" with SIG style when none of you guys even played it yet...unbelievable. a lot of this can very well be null and void when we all get a chance to play the full game...quit wasting your time and reserve a lot of these knocks for after you actually play the game...Jesus Christ lol

^^^^.

Lol settle down there buddy.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.