Home
NHL 13 News Post

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

EA SPORTS Season Ticket allows people to play Madden NFL, NHL®, FIFA Soccer®, Tiger Woods PGA Tour®, and NCAA Football® titles before launch.

The $24.99 or 2000 Microsoft® Points / 12 months* subscription includes, access to over $100 worth of PDLC, three day early access to all participating franchises, and 20% off additional PDLC in all participating franchises.

Please post your NHL 13 impressions here. NHL 13 Q&A is here.

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 241 seasprite @ 09/10/12 11:36 AM
Been playing it since Friday night and I am enjoying it. There are penalty issues......especially goalie inteference not ever being called.....but overall, I like the game. Definitely different but I am starting to get used to the new skating physics. The one problem that I hate is that they pretty much made cross creasing impossible. You make great passes and move the puck to get a great shot and the goalie always make an impossible save......................then all I have to do is take the puck up the ice and go up on the right stick short side and seem to have a 80% success in scoring. I will say that I am really enjoying the Connected Career mode.+

# 242 ChubbyBanana @ 09/10/12 11:39 AM
Remember I was having trouble adjusting to the game since I skipped out on NHL 12 basically? I was getting my backside handed to me by the CPU on Pro.

Well I went in and adjusted a couple things. I took the CPU AI Learning Slider down 2 clicks from full and I think this has made the most difference for me. I like the idea of CPU AI Learning but I think having it learn from everything I do was making it way to hard for me to adjust.

I'm still not able to get off a reasonable amount of shots. I won a game 4-2 Rangers (me) vs. Sens but I was outshot like 22-7 or something like that. And faceoffs even though I reduced the difficultly slider (to the left) I still am not very good.

# 243 mike24forever @ 09/10/12 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Why do even bother playing these games?
So he can complain about how "trash" the game is. There are issues with this title, however they are no where near as bad as he claims. I'm seeing 3 to 6 penalties a game. I have never seen a player go through the boards. That being said, I'm not looking at replays to look for visal problems.

# 244 mike24forever @ 09/10/12 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
Goh, you can fix the stuttering issues by making a custom camera that crops out the crowd from the image.

When a lot of the crowd is on-screen, that's what causes the stutter.

If you zoom the camera in tight enough, the crowd won't ever appear on-screen and the game will run smoothly.
He said he deleted the game. This was suggested to him before, however he only looks for the negative. Hopefully, he will not buy the game and save himself $60, and save us from his complaining.

# 245 bad_philanthropy @ 09/10/12 12:39 PM
I feel like picking up loose pucks could be tighter. I don't mean when the puck is rolling and my guy is being pressured. I mean when the puck is just sitting there and nobody is around me. I won't even be skating hard and my player just seems to ignore it at times. If you aren't going to give me control of my stick to corral loose pucks, then have the AI do it for me when it makes sense. It would be nice if the player could kick the puck to his stick in the proper context as well.

# 246 ChubbyBanana @ 09/10/12 01:09 PM
So I decided best way to see how my play was improving or not improving was to start a "playoff mode" and play a series.

This last game each team had a power play. Its like Penalties want to be there, but something in the code is preventing them, IMO.

# 247 duffman @ 09/10/12 02:29 PM
Couple more points from my second game:

-There is finally a 4vs4 set of lines, thank God! As long as this carries over into OT this will fix the random selection of which forwards get to play during OT. This has been bugging me for a while now

-Still no postgame three stars, minor but it just helps in overall presentation since its a tradition in hockey

-Gary and Bill are fine, but they need either a) new lines or b) someone needs to go clean up the old lines. I really shouldn't be hearing about how the Rangers are having trouble finding their way to a winning season anymore after last year, i think i'd rather just have some dead air instead of hearing outdated lines if thats the only option.

-Seeing some awesome, awesome puck deflections and goalie reactions. Plays where the goalie is going one way and makes that little adjustment to make the save off a skate or stick just like in real life. Some of these are just plain beautiful to watch.

-I'm able to score this year off of clean wristers, on superstar hardcore settings without having to alter shot power, goalie reaction or any of that which is great.

So far the game is what i expected, it's the newer, more enhanced version of the NHL series i've been playing for years. Not that its a bad thing, i was on the fence about buying before season ticket but now i'm leaning towards picking it up later this week barring any ridiculous franchise problems that may surface.

# 248 bukktown @ 09/10/12 06:18 PM
I'm an online 1v1 player and I've played 15 games so far. I've always been a good player who wins about 75% of the games. But this year against good opponents I have been completely dominated.

I have a lot to learn. It's mostly getting the hang of skating but also what's a good strategy to score.

I have learned that on a 2-0 breakaway you will not score with a cross crease pass and one timer because the lateral movement of the goalie is insane in this situation. If you pass it back to the original puck carrier the goal will be wide open but it is hard for me to do that right now. I often get stuck flat footed which is killing me right now on both offense and defense.

The poke check is real OP and I turn the pick over all of the time in both zones. The only place I play well is the neutral zone which isn't helping me very much right now!

Overall, I'm just frustrated and playing terrible.

# 249 Majingir @ 09/10/12 06:40 PM
Just a coincidence probably, but just had a real good game. 2 penalties per team(and 1 fight I FORCED to happen lol), and at the end when I won...the custom home win music played!

I doubt that anything special happened to trigger it, it was probably just a rare occurrence since it never usually works. Though I did notice that the music played but there was no horn that went off at the end of the game, so maybe the goal horn interferes with the home win music?

# 250 bwiggy33 @ 09/10/12 07:56 PM
Well I'm having a little bit more fun with the game now. The issues I've stated are still bothering me but maybe just maybe EA will fix it. It sounds like they are going to try and attempt to fix the penalty problem. Overall though I'm definitely enjoying it more. It still feels like NHL 12 with improved skating (which I'm liking a lot more). At times it's like your player is in quick sand but that's due to fatigue I'm pretty sure.

I hate to bring this topic up again but it truly is indescribable how terrible the goalies are in this game. I'm using Savoie's sliders with reaction on 2 and screen effect on 5. Let me tell you the sliders are in no way the issue. It is the fact that EA just has terrible goalies. Their new reading the play before it happens has completely taken out the ability to even score on a back door pass or one timer. Every time it gets stopped. Sure you can shoot shortside but what fun is doing that everytime. I've actually found you can score on that fairly regularly. Also the goalies are making saves look like gamebreaking saves every time. They flail their glove and end up on their *** after almost every shot. It's just really irritating and so over done. I'm really getting sick of hearing Thorne screaming "Oh what a save" every time because the animation the goalie does triggers the commentary. Overall I honestly can't say one good thing about the goalies at all. By far the weakest area of this series.

As I said earlier I am really really impressed with the puck physics. For people playing on any size but Authentic I really want to tell you to switch. You don't realize how good the puck bounces and physics are until you switch to Authentic with shadow off. I saw a puck today roll on its side all the way down the ice. Really awesome to see. It also looks great when it comes off the glass. This area of the game EA did a phenomenal job. The puck is hard to see at times but it's definitely worth it.

Also a tip for anyone like me who was not seeing teammates go and forecheck after dumping the puck in. You have to set your forecheck to whichever one you want but then you have to crank up the NZ/FC slider to all the way on the Forecheck side. If you don't you dump the puck in and find that all of your teammates go straight to the neutral zone coverage and wait for the opposing team to break out of their zone with ease. So basically you are just handing the puck to the opposing team. How EA has this flaw in the game is beyond me. Your AI teammates should always go in on the forecheck but the slider should more determine how hard you forecheck while inside the zone. I mean seriously what team in the NHL dumps the puck in and doesn't send any forecheckers or their D men in the zone unless it's to switch lines? Nobody. That completely defeats the purpose of dumping the puck in. I still can't believe how EA missed this problem. At least it's fixable with changing the slider to forecheck instead of nz. I highly suggest you just leave the slider permanently cranked to forecheck every single game.

As I think of it right now I think one thing to make this game better with getting a full on CPU forecheck is by going into create your AI and cranking up the forecheck slider for every single team. Reason I say this is because when the CPU dumps the puck in their guys are also setting up in the NZ at times which means an extremely easy breakout for me and 0 pressure from the CPU.

Overall though I am having a much better time with the game since I dived into it yesterday. I'm not sure if it's the fact I have to accept the game for what it is, or I'm just desperate to play an NHL game, but overall it's playing better. Hopefully it will continue to be this way and I really hope EA fixes some of the AI and gameplay problems. If they can this game could be really really good.

# 251 jyoung @ 09/10/12 08:00 PM
The problem is that goalies didn't get the new skating physics this year like normal skaters. Goalies are still teleporting at warp speed across the crease without any sense of weight or momentum working against them. They can literally just teleport in any direction at any time.

That is why you still see so many ridiculous side-to-side saves.

# 252 bwiggy33 @ 09/10/12 08:03 PM
Quote:
The problem is that goalies didn't get the new skating physics this year like normal skaters. Goalies are still teleporting at warp speed across the crease without any sense of weight or momentum working against them. They can literally just teleport in any direction at any time.

100%. I have brought this topic up about a thousand times on this forum and that is why some people probably hate me . It seems most of the people playing this game don't see it (which is beyond me) but it's the number one reason why the goalies are so bad.

# 253 blinkfan77 @ 09/10/12 08:07 PM
Couldn't agree more. Goalies warping from side to side looks horrible. I usually just laugh it off in disgust. Badly needs deep improvement.

# 254 DrPhibes @ 09/10/12 08:13 PM
Quote:

Sounds like side-to-side dekeing and cross creases are a memory.

How is just shooting? Like are you seeing a better variety of shots going in?

# 255 RoyalBoyle78 @ 09/10/12 08:17 PM
Short and sweet. I love the game and just paid it off, can't wait for tomorrow!!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

# 256 jyoung @ 09/10/12 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhibes

"Just shooting" is really the best scoring tactic now.

If you try to go all NHL 12 and get fancy with dekes and one-timers you will turn the puck over incessantly and probably never score unless a puck goes off a body/skate and deflects in randomly.

# 257 orion523 @ 09/10/12 09:01 PM
Although I am disgusted about the penalty issue, I played the game a few more times and I can't help but like it. The decision now comes down to this: Do I buy the game and hope that penalties are fixed, or wait and see. Right now I'm still not sure.

# 258 savoie2006 @ 09/10/12 09:03 PM
So has anyone downloaded a new tuner that was supposedly put out today? I'm wondering if maybe they already addressed the penalty issue?

# 259 bukktown @ 09/10/12 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhibes

Yes shots from all angles go in. Some clean and some squeeze through the goalies arms and under pads and trickle in. What I am seeing from opponents online is a lot of bad angle shots sprinting into the zone and not being able to turn the corner so the whip it at the side of my goalie and about 5% of those ricochet in off the goalies side/back/skate.

It is much harder to set up in zone with the flat footed cement skating and the 3x skater width poke check radius passes get deflected all the time. I think the end result will be MUCH more authentic NHL gameplay online once they tune a little bit and people normalize their play styles to the new gameplay dynamics.

But the big question that everybody wants to know online is how do I score? Once you see how it's done you gravitate towards that strategy over and over again. Right now the answer to that question is you try to get some space in the zone, close your eyes, and let one rip (that made me laugh when I reread it). There is no money goal currently.

# 260 Majingir @ 09/10/12 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion523
Although I am disgusted about the penalty issue, I played the game a few more times and I can't help but like it. The decision now comes down to this: Do I buy the game and hope that penalties are fixed, or wait and see. Right now I'm still not sure.
Penalties might have been fixed..and even if it isn't, if you're deciding between now, or waiting until price drops to get it, just get it now. Price won't drop(unless someone is selling it online or something)

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.