Home
NHL 13 News Post

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

EA SPORTS Season Ticket allows people to play Madden NFL, NHL®, FIFA Soccer®, Tiger Woods PGA Tour®, and NCAA Football® titles before launch.

The $24.99 or 2000 Microsoft® Points / 12 months* subscription includes, access to over $100 worth of PDLC, three day early access to all participating franchises, and 20% off additional PDLC in all participating franchises.

Please post your NHL 13 impressions here. NHL 13 Q&A is here.

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 mike24forever @ 09/08/12 05:04 PM
goh,

I play with the Action view now that I have to reset the custom camera every time I turn on my system, and I have never seen the frame rate drop as you suggest. It was there on previous versions of the game but I am not seeing this "yet" this year.

As for penalties and stoppages in play. I have a lot of ice and offsides by both CPU and human. As I stated earlies, I'm experiencing 3 to 5 penalties a game. Not everything is called as I should be, but it is no way "arcade thrash" as you suggest.

The hip check glitch you posted, thankfully I have not seen it yet. That being said, I do not spam that. Not saying you do, I just do not like to grab my toes to take out a player.

This game has some issues, but it is a very good game.

Edit:

Oh yeah, goalies cover the puck when offensive players are near the crease. They play the puck when thy should.

That all being said, thank God you bought the Season Ticket and saved yourself $60 on this game.

# 142 Majingir @ 09/08/12 05:04 PM
Using my NHL12 sliders on NHL13 on all star difficulty...

Panthers:
24 shots
2 goals
17 faceoffs won

Flyers: (me)
17 shots
5 goals
15 faceoffs won

Which is ironic since yesterday with same sliders on pro, I lost 2-1 lol

# 143 adayinthelife @ 09/08/12 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
In 2 games before I went to bed last night, I had two 2-0 leads heading into the 3rd period. Both leads disappeared and I lost one of them 4-2 and the other I won 3-2 in the closing seconds. Definitely see a cpu boost (All Star / Hardcore - with some tweaks). I'd like to consider the lower level this year, as I made some sliders a couple years ago for Pro that played well. This game might actually play best on that level, giving the cpu proper boosts. Not sure though...
I actually switched down to Pro last year and just worked on sliders to up the challenge there and it worked great for me. I was just finding that I was winning and losing a lot of 1-0 games on All Star and Superstar, whereas when I went to Pro and found my sliders I was seeing more goals both ways, and more variation in final scores.

# 144 adayinthelife @ 09/08/12 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
Right before you get ready to play your game, go down to the 3rd option (I believe - the one that shows your minutes and level). Click on it. Go right trigger once and you'll see aim as auto or manual. I use auto - it still matters what you do with your aiming, but seems like a "helper" - I like it because it helps the attributes matter, along with not trying to do the same kind of shot each time.
Interesting. Have you noticed guys like Stamkos sniping even more than whatever 3rd liner by doing this? I'm finding that there finally seems to feel like there's a difference between stars and average players this year, but I'm always looking for ways to enhance it.

# 145 Gagnon39 @ 09/08/12 05:29 PM
What happened to dark blue eyes? Why does every player with blue eyes look like this?

# 146 mjarz02 @ 09/08/12 05:30 PM
Playing defense seems to be much harder, your ai players don't seem to help much

# 147 SlyBelle @ 09/08/12 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panicshade
quick question...

Is it normal for the tuner sets to have to be downloaded every time you start the game up? Everything else is saving correctly except the tuner sets.

edit: I guess they are saving correctly but it still says "download the latest..." at startup. Weird, but I can ignore it.
I have the same issue....

# 148 Drakar @ 09/08/12 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy321813
I know I keep getting blown out big time! I am playing on pro that is the worst part! I haven't played since NHL 11 so I guess I am behind a bit.
Pro is like All-Stars from last year. The CPU is so aggressive. I don't know any team who sends 3 forward on forecheck. when they are winning 2-0 but that is apparently the new NHL 13 mandate. I know we have to get used to the new skating but the CPU have superman control over the puck and never miss a play on defense. I average 1 goal a game if I am lucky.

# 149 savoie2006 @ 09/08/12 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle
I have the same issue....
That means it's a tuner for a different part of the game. I had to download two tuner updates, nothing has shown since.

# 150 CujoMatty @ 09/08/12 06:02 PM
I get tons of penalties called. If people are having trouble with this be aware there is 3 different penalty sliders. 1 under rules which is just the general penalties slider and the other 2 are under gameplay settings then right bumper to AI. CPU penalties and CPU teammate penalties is located there. I have those 2 maxed and the main penalty to 3 quarters full and I get 2-4 penalties a period on 8 minute periods. Probably too many.

# 151 kauchy @ 09/08/12 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cujomatty
I get tons of penalties called. If people are having trouble with this be aware there is 3 different penalty sliders. 1 under rules which is just the general penalties slider and the other 2 are under gameplay settings then right bumper to AI. CPU penalties and CPU teammate penalties is located there. I have those 2 maxed and the main penalty to 3 quarters full and I get 2-4 penalties a period on 8 minute periods. Probably too many.
realy hope your right & maybe people have missed certain sliders..personally i cant see that but hey.

didnt have too much of a problem drawing pens last yr (13min periods)
got plenty post-whistle mind you..but now theyve changed the presentation aspects thats gone out the window

# 152 savoie2006 @ 09/08/12 06:18 PM
Has anyone tried using the Custom AI? It does make a difference in how the Cpu players behave folks.

# 153 kauchy @ 09/08/12 06:26 PM
Quote:
Any suggestions for me? I am playing 8-9 minutes quarters and giving up 5 goals a game while I score 1 or 2 if I am lucky.
dont follow the puck in your own end. constantly changing players & bringing them outta position will cost you.

play the angles. block the passing lanes. be patient. play the game like hockey. if the cpu is jamming you just clear your own end...limits the turnovers.

when your goalie has the puck convered..keep it covered. take the F.off. its better than the cpu pouncing on you if their close & creating a chance.

# 154 Majingir @ 09/08/12 06:29 PM
Quote:
Any suggestions for me? I am playing 8-9 minutes quarters and giving up 5 goals a game while I score 1 or 2 if I am lucky.
Quarters=Periods in hockey lol(quarters makes no sense in hockey anyways)

If you're new to the game, try veteran or rookie(though even I gave up a goal on rookie mode and I play all star lol)

And try adjusting sliders. If the game is good, except the other team just scores too much, either reduce their shot accuracy or increase your goalie settings(so make your goalie reaction on the sliders higher and/or make the screen effect on your goalie lower)

And the do exact opposite of what I just said, for the AI if you're not scoring enough(meaning increase your accuracy or decrease the CPU goalie reaction)

# 155 Panicshade @ 09/08/12 06:30 PM
Quote:
So basically I will have to play on rookie? Damn that is embarrassing. My CPU seems to be dumb on defense while the CPU team I am playing is really tough. They double my shots easily. If anyone has tips please let me know
I am having to play on Pro like you and once I adjusted the sliders I am doing better. My sliders are probably far from perfect but they work for me. The main thing that has helped has been lowering the effectiveness of the checking/poke checks and goalie reaction. I lowered both the Human and CPU to stay even and I am having better games.

You may still get games where you get ran off the rink (damn you Tampa Bay...lol) but it has worked for me.

But my main struggle is defense as well.

# 156 FBeaule04 @ 09/08/12 06:38 PM
This game feels and plays better than last year. The skating engine and the AI intelligence is so much better that it's just making the game more fun.

EASHL is fun so far, but it's always like that at the beginning of the year, before people find glitches. It's just plain funny seeing guys trying everything that worked in NHL 12, NHL 11, NHL 10 and just falling short. At least, that part is fun.

This beeing said, the EA NHL Dev. team can be considered the best at one thing. Taking something that was working and break it. I'm talking about the inception of the "Sim to your next shift" in NHL 12 that was a charm. Ok, stats weren't normal, your teammates wouldn't score to save your life, but at least you didn't have to watch all the game sitting on the bench.

In NHL 13, forget about it. You end up on the bench, and be prepare for a long, long, long period of time without seeing the ice. To make matter worse, you'll see your linemates go on the ice while the guy you should replace will skate in front of you 10 times. I'll call this they Kovalev's features.

Maybe I'll get warned of even ban for saying this, but I've said numerous times that EA Sports NHL Team don't know hockey. NHL 13 just proving my points. Would you find it normal after hitting a homerun in baseball that guys who were on the base ignore you while you get home? Would you find it normal that no one would come to you after a TD to congrats you??? In NHL 13, it's just the case. The guy who scored raise his hands while teammates are gliding around, making table hockey best impersonation! Euh, Houston, we have a problem! I know we live in a Me, Myself and I world, but for God sake, there's a limit of making a team sports something like that!

Not talking about some goalie animations that we're off last year and still there, post-game wins celebrations that are exactly the same as last year...It's just amazing!

Is there someone testing this game at all except online? Just plain funny to see my BaP with #4, skating side by side with a teammate wearing #4! While, let's make it clear, #4 is already retired and I had the Retired Jersey ON in the pre-BAP menu.

I have to say that I'm disappointed. For all the efforts EA's putting in to make the game better, they are just shooting themselves in the foot with simple things that shouldn't be there.

I don't know if I'll buy the game. I think I'm going to wait for a month after everyone beta tested the game, and then see if it's worth it.

# 157 Panicshade @ 09/08/12 06:39 PM
regular dekes are simple...when you have the puck move the right stick to the right and left

I don't mess with the advanced dekes because I usually just lose control of the puck and I do enough of that just by playing regularly..lol

# 158 Drakar @ 09/08/12 06:44 PM
They actually got 1 thing right : Gomez is in the minor with the default rosters.

# 159 SJYS @ 09/08/12 06:45 PM
With a few slider mods, this thing is butter. Best NHL yet, by far.

1. Poke-check effectiveness down 2 notches
2. Puck control up 1
3. Player acceleration down 1 (So Grabner doesn't achieve Mach 2)
4. Hitting assistance down 2 (makes hitting way more consistent and realistic)

Also, this is the coolest steelbook+semi-clear cover I've ever seen... Looks awesome!

# 160 mjarz02 @ 09/08/12 07:11 PM
Yeah, don't pull your guys out of posistion. I'm still doing it but when I stay solid it works. Also you need to adjust to how the CPU plays and match your d according.

Funny penalty, both my CPU guys slashed a CPU player at the same time and broke his stick. 5-3 advantage and i gave up two goals! 2-2 so far but I think I'm figuring it out. Game is definitely fun

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.